BenQ GW2760HS

I've been waiting a month or two now for this to hit the streets. Still nothing. Too bad as it looks stellar. I'm SO interested in this, I actually re-registered here at H-OCP after being away from the site for a decade, lol. Nice to be back. (I even remember sending the admin a pic of a cooler I modded back in like 2001 and he was nice enough to post it. lol)

But anyway, I've been staring at monitors now 8-16+ hours a day now for like 25 years and I really am sensitive to most of them now. I've had to get some blue-cut glasses to help, but am still on the hunt for the monitor with the least eye strain. Here's to hoping this is it. Now if only I can find a source to purchase one. Please post if anyone finds a US retailer. Thanks in advance.

PS, Just as a related side note, if anyone else is interested and has sensitivity issues. I sold my 54" Panasonic plasma TV as it was KILLING my eyes even after 5 minutes of viewing, and finally found a replacement TV that hasn't been hurting at all in this year's (2013) Sony 40" budget line model. I can sit right in front of it with NO eye-strain. Finally.... what a relief. I'm finding that the TVs/monitors that have the lowest "Energy Guide" annual rating (my new sony shows an $11 average annual electric draw) seem to be the least fatiguing to my eyes.

One of my local sales reps at the store shared a tip with me that I should touch each screen with the back of my hand (top right corner usually) to gauge the heat coming off the panel. He was right. The hotter the panel the more my eyes hurt I've noticed. And this new sony of mine is almost completely cold to the touch. I'm starting to feel like I can watch TV again. Wished I'd have realized this earlier, but then again, I don't think there have been many options out there until this year really anyway.

So now I'm on a hunt for a 27" monitor that is flicker free, and has as little backlight intensity as possible. (If only they made a passive panel like the Kindle with full color and high refresh! Oh, one can only hope. Someday. Please.) E.g. lowest power/heat output, in the hopes it will be the easiest on my eyes. Not being able to see a demo of this new Benq makes me leery, but I may chance an online purchase. All input on these thoughts appreciated. My only question is, does the non PWM actually make them put off more heat? Or are they cooler and use less power? Anyone know?

Thanks all,
Rational1

Rational1
Could you please write exact model of this Sony TV? In my search of TV which is not killer to my eyes (exchanged 2 models) I was able to find only 42 Sharp XL2. It's an old model, not even LED, but CCFL.

Monitor is starting to emerge finally, hope we will able to buy it soon enough.

Rational1
Could you please write exact model of this Sony TV? In my search of TV which is not killer to my eyes (exchanged 2 models) I was able to find only 42 Sharp XL2. It's an old model, not even LED, but CCFL.
Well, I don't know what TV model doesn't kill eyes, but I certainly do know where you can buy it ;)

A sudden availability of the display at serveral stores is to be observed in Germany:
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/3842664_-gw2760hs-benq.html

I'll place my order and hope to receive one by the end of next week.

Edit: just an example for a well known shop offering worldwide delivery
http://www.conrad.de/ce/ProductDeta...productcode=408192&zanpid=1773048553401647104

Sounds good!

So how much did you end up paying for it delivered?

Thanks hope for the best!:cool:

Last edited:
I'm German and nationally the display is already available at 12 stores but I ordered one at "voelkner" for 250 euro including delivery on the 5.6.2013 as I've made good experiences in the past concerning the handling of defects and guarantees there and I want to reward them. Really anticipating the delivery now.

A review from an Indian tech site: http://tech2.in.com/reviews/24inch-and-above/benq-gw2760hs-monitor-review/874178

An excerpt that prospective buyers might want to ponder before taking the plunge:

" the monitor however falters in the viewing angle department. This is quite uncharacteristic for a VA panel, but this monitor had major gamma uniformity issues at the slightest deviation from the sweet spot. It's disappointing that even a slight deviation from the vertical axis is enough to affect the black levels greatly as a consequence. The problem is so acute that this alone has cost the monitor a whole star. However, the image quality is good as long as you sit directly in front of it. "

Let's wait and see what tftcentral or pcmonitors have to say on the subject when they review the monitor more thoroughly.

so they didn't really fixed viewing angles? :confused:

if so then this monitor is not worth the wait and hype it gets :eek:

Knowing it has been posted before, this video is showing the viewing angle weakness considering black areas:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg1utVA2frs

I guess the black space in the corners changes to grey eventually but owning a TN-panel for years now I assume it is still much better than what I'm used to and hopefully not to be considered a severe issue. I will tell about the viewing angels as soon as I reveice my order. :)

That shouldn't really be a problem. I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but the Amazon Marketplace may be a good way of getting a quite popular product that is not available in your own country. On the list of Amazon Germany Marketplace sellers offering the GW2760HS, there are six* who ship to the U.S. ( shipping&handling ranging from €26 to €70 ). And it's the Amazon name, meaning that there's reliable customer protection through Amazon A to Z guarantee ( in english from the US website ) regarding purchases made to third-party sellers on the Marketplace.

* At the time of posting. That number varies following availibility/restocking time frames.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Keeping in mind that this monitor is not going to be released in America the only viable options right now are Amazon and Ebay (Overseas Retailers) in the near future. You also have the German Stores.
I rather spend a few more bucks buying from amazon, also if return policies come in to play.

Got the display yesterday and was reliefed it is suited well for office work and gaming. AMA set to high already satisfies my needs to eliminate noticeable tearing and there is no ghosting as well. For the input lag I rely on reviews but also I can tell I don't notice any (been playing ego shooters since Doom 2). Gaming on this screen feels pretty much like using a Dell U2412M which I found to be great. The blacks are superb as the contrast generally is. Viewing angles are abolutely fine for me, no changes in colour observed (just like the link to the youtube video above). The speakers sound a bit dull which is no surprise I guess - fine for system sounds or youtube. Also there are no dead pixels. Overall the image quality is comparable to a GW2750HM but fortunately missing the exaggerated sharpening which I never got completely rid of trying it at my friends house.
On the other hand the minimal brightness still seems a bit high to me using the display at night. I'm still trying to optimise this as there are a lot of settings in the OSD menu, even more than a Dell U2412M I tried.
The weakest part of the monitor definitely is the stand which is pretty low (measuring about 2 m I'm a tall person so everything needs some tweaking concerning height). I recommend changing it to a custom stand with adjustable height. Also I dislike the glossy frame as well but I guess I can live with it as I appreciate it being flicker-free.

I'll try the display for a few more days and will report whether I will hopefully notice a change concerning my exhausted eyes. :)

ps. using lagom.nl to calibrate I set the display to the following settings:

brightness 0
contrast 47
sharpness 4
gamma 5
blue reduced to 97
hue 54
saturation 48
AMA high

Last edited:
This looks great after reading the review. I am looking into this to replace my EW2730 and it looks like just the ticket. I want to see a review from other reviewers (TFT Central, PC Monitors, PRAD) but might just bite the bullet anyway.

This looks great after reading the review. I am looking into this to replace my EW2730 and it looks like just the ticket. I want to see a review from other reviewers (TFT Central, PC Monitors, PRAD) but might just bite the bullet anyway.

TFT and PRAD are working on their reviews, the have possession on of monitor, all we have to do is wait for it. My monitor is in the mail >.<!

Thanks already knew those:) Just wanted to see if there was somewhere else:) Thanks again

Thanks for the update! 350 cdm2. Kind of high. The early chinese reviews got 270. But if I interpret the korean correctly it seems that it dims down to 80 cdm2? Which should be fine for regular use. Those times one want lower one can always contrast dim further down.

Still a bit annoying though. Dont know why BenQ keep 'boosting' their LED that way. They always have the highest rating for max brightness compared to same panels in other brands. I really dont see the point of going above specification limits (300 cdm2 in this case). They'll just get a worse power rating on the model.

It has arrived..:D

First impressions:
Slim, light, BRIGHT!!! Eye scorching Bright!

AMA set to High as default.

GREEN ... green everywhere! need to dial down the green.

No dead pixels, no apparent back light leakage.

Using DVI disable all the nifty Advance Picture settings.

Will report back after some testing.

Last edited:
First impressions:
Slim, light, BRIGHT!!! Eye scorching Bright!

After some experience I can confirm that. For me this seems to sadly turn out as a no-go as it's predecessors already hat a minimal brightness of more than 120 cd/m² which is more than the maximal brightness at daytime I regularly use - not to speak of night time, when 50 cd/m² are more than sufficient. So I noticed the monitors brightness is hurting my eyes more than my old one afterall. So it seems to be no solution for me. I will go on with testing as my problems may also have a changing "daily performance" but I guess the - in other categories very good monitor - is not good for at least my eye problems. Would love to hear about other experiences or tipps though.

After some experience I can confirm that. For me this seems to sadly turn out as a no-go as it's predecessors already hat a minimal brightness of more than 120 cd/m² which is more than the maximal brightness at daytime I regularly use - not to speak of night time, when 50 cd/m² are more than sufficient. So I noticed the monitors brightness is hurting my eyes more than my old one afterall. So it seems to be no solution for me. I will go on with testing as my problems may also have a changing "daily performance" but I guess the - in other categories very good monitor - is not good for at least my eye problems. Would love to hear about other experiences or tipps though.

Hi there,

Set it up to Reading Mode, it brings down the Brightness to 84 cd/&#13217; by default, you can further bring down the brightness by reducing the "Brightness" in picture setting.

If all of that is still not enough go to your Video card settings and lower the brightness.

Hope this help a bit, also play around the "contrast" and "gamma"

Using HDMI cable enables the advance picture option.

Thanks for your answer, I will try that immediately.

I also found great tools which may help people with eye problems like me:
http://jonls.dk/redshift/
http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Using flux now the colors of my display are shifted towards a red tone at night which might prove more eye friends. At least the comments sound promising; I am starting a test today after trying the reading mode.

can anyone make fullscreen photo of this on new BenQ?:
strippy.png

For better effect cover power LED.
Angle should be 0 degree and distance closest you can get with whole panel in frame.

Hi guys, additional request.
Could you please check if the monitor accepts 72Hz@1080p?
It's the lowest refresh rate (well, lowest above 60Hz) that allows for smooth movie playback.

I got mine today. So far it looks ok, no light bleed at least yet, and no dead pixels. The black level is an improvement over my U2713HM and S23A750D. Especially the Dell looks quite washed out in comparison and the Samsung has some light bleed problems. There's still plenty of room for improvement imo, but dark games are much more enjoyable on this. I'd go as far as to say for that type of game play its far better than the higher resolution. The grey blacks on the Dell look dreadful in comparison.

I'll take some comparison pics once I have the time. So far I'm liking it, though maybe I did wish the black levels were even better than what they are. I suppose I'll have to wait for OLED monitors.

Here a short video with the Benq GW2760HS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-RAoHzfHpk

@Thradya Just checked the settings: only 60 HZ

Brightness also set to 0. Still to bright for me. If i were a rooster and somebody turned it on at night, i would crow.

Reading mode totally green! Benq really took the green policy too far there. :D

A part from that, great Display. I´ll still have a look at the BL2411PT.

72Hz won't be in options by itself. You have to add this resolution for it to be there

I tried OC but the monitor had artifacting even at 70 Hz. That's using hdmi, don't know if it's any different with dvi.

How is a 2k:1 contrast ratio a bad thing?! It's far better than you'll get from any other panel tech

The response times are fairly poor according to the review. Too bad as I was hoping it would be good for gaming.

Back