BenQ GW2760HS

Is it OK with you that it uses PWM on lower brigthness levels?

I think, according to reviews, that 20% brightness level is rather adequate even for low ambient light levels. At least, I hope so... :confused:
I got to replace my current monitor and have not many choices: AFAIK, viable quality alternatives are limited to u2413, but it is wide gamut, and u2913, but I don't like weird 21:9 format.

I've been waiting for this one for ages as well. It's frustrating that it hasn't come out yet!

Don't blame the news sources though. I've been following the news on this monitor from Flatpanels HD and PC Monitors since December last year. What the second actually said was that BenQ is aiming for a February release in the UK (this was back in January). I quizzed them about this when there was no sign of the monitor in February and they said that the information was given to them direct from BenQ via their PR department. They are constantly in communication with those kind of people and are simply relaying what they were told from the horses mouth. There were obviously setbacks, not unheard of in this industry.

As they say in the updated version of the article: "anybody observing this industry over the past few years will know that plans do change. Don't shoot the messenger.". If you want to rage do so at BenQ, but it won't change their plans (if they have any).

Sorry to ask this but whats the difference between this monitor and GW2760HM? Thanks

HM - 5000:1

HS - 3000:1 / slimmer appearance / flicker free / a bit of reduction of color shift

EZjGjUi.jpg

HM - 5000:1

HS - 3000:1 / slimmer appearance / flicker free / a bit of reduction of color shift

EZjGjUi.jpg

It should be noted that in actuality, the 5000:1 is more like 2000:1-3000:1 for the HM. And the 3000:1 for the HS is probably around 1000:1-2000:1. BenQ always over states their specs.

they both have same low haze coating.
BenQ once adopted matte disappointingly to series EW30 & GW50 but they were back after that.

The reviews by Playwares and a Czech hardware site clearly show they are normal matte. And the EW30 series did have semi gloss (I own the EW2430) whereas the GW50 didn't. Seems the GW2760HS is the only new semi gloss model.

I've been waiting for this one for ages as well. It's frustrating that it hasn't come out yet!

Don't blame the news sources though. I've been following the news on this monitor from Flatpanels HD and PC Monitors since December last year. What the second actually said was that BenQ is aiming for a February release in the UK (this was back in January). I quizzed them about this when there was no sign of the monitor in February and they said that the information was given to them direct from BenQ via their PR department. They are constantly in communication with those kind of people and are simply relaying what they were told from the horses mouth. There were obviously setbacks, not unheard of in this industry.

As they say in the updated version of the article: "anybody observing this industry over the past few years will know that plans do change. Don't shoot the messenger.". If you want to rage do so at BenQ, but it won't change their plans (if they have any).

My congrats on your managing to miss the fact that the monitor has been out long ago, if only in Taiwan and China, well, actually Taiwan IS China, Republic of. Nobody "blames the news sources" for its delayed release elswhere, but it's just indecent to present some private unofficial insider blabbering at best and your own speculations at worst and likelest as "last word from BenQ". FYI, I also inquired BenQ about the release date via their support form in January, got nothing at all apart from the info that the model would not be released in my region. Which means BenQ's policy was not to provide any info on the release date for whatever reason. Even you should agree that the PR department does not exist to supply a selected third party website with classified (or non-existent) info.

It should be noted that in actuality, the 5000:1 is more like 2000:1-3000:1 for the HM. And the 3000:1 for the HS is probably around 1000:1-2000:1. BenQ always over states their specs.

IIRC, they abide by their contrast spec quite well opposite of your assertion. Correct me if I'm wrong by sheet.

Besides, there's not much substantial meaning whether those numbers are 2k or 4k if not very low as below 1000.

JZSNIGx.jpg

IIRC, they abide by their contrast spec quite well opposite of your assertion. Correct me if I'm wrong by sheet.

Besides, there's not much substantial meaning whether those numbers are 2k or 4k if not very low as below 1000.

Not with the gw2750hm or gw2450hm.

My congrats on your managing to miss the fact that the monitor has been out long ago, if only in Taiwan and China, well, actually Taiwan IS China, Republic of. Nobody "blames the news sources" for its delayed release elswhere, but it's just indecent to present some private unofficial insider blabbering at best and your own speculations at worst and likelest as "last word from BenQ". FYI, I also inquired BenQ about the release date via their support form in January, got nothing at all apart from the info that the model would not be released in my region. Which means BenQ's policy was not to provide any info on the release date for whatever reason. Even you should agree that the PR department does not exist to supply a selected third party website with classified (or non-existent) info.

I couldn't care less if the monitor is out in Asia, I don't live there. And the blog you are slandering for no reason doesn't either and was specifically giving info for the UK where they are based. Who do you think gives them their monitors to review? The monitor fairy? They are privy to info that the general public aren't. It's not their fault if a reader misinterprets what they present and completely glosses over important phrases like 'aiming for'. Nowhere did they say the monitor will definitely be out on x date. They are simply passing on what they've been told by the PR company and/or BenQ who they communicate with directly. Things change, there are frequently setbacks with monitor releases. I completely understand your frustration and I'm in the same boat, but I think you're making a big deal out of not a lot to be honest.

Not with the gw2750hm or gw2450hm.

Since You don't bring up any data of your arguing that BenQ always overstates their specs.

GW2750HM
LwffqRU.jpg

GW2760HM
RP0rkgF.jpg

GW2750HM / GW2760HM / other A-MVAs

uslJIrC.jpg

Last edited:
Since You don't bring up any data of your arguing that BenQ always overstates their specs.

Not from the tests I've seen:

http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-gw2750hm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2750hm.htm

The 2450HM sees similar results with tests done by these places. Contrast is only in the 2000:1 range, sometimes higher, depending on settings. Which is still a strong showing, but I don't believe these Asian benchmarks at all. Unless they got completely different panels.

Not from the tests I've seen:

http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-gw2750hm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2750hm.htm

The 2450HM sees similar results with tests done by these places. Contrast is only in the 2000:1 range, sometimes higher, depending on settings. Which is still a strong showing, but I don't believe these Asian benchmarks at all. Unless they got completely different panels.

There's still no point at all to additionally note that contrast ratio may below the official spec against that simple question of original poster, as even the low ones have still excellent, not much substantial meaning and little to none could be a deal breaker after all.

And I don't see any grounds with your prospect that HS shall hit 1000:1 - 2000:1.

nwC5swx.jpg

F2HEhPk.jpg

r7P9eXv.jpg

SYmAuUs.jpg

Last edited:
did i type this already? the contrast is percieved even better than the HM version according to a chinese customer comment.

I couldn't care less if the monitor is out in Asia, I don't live there.
Well, would you believe it, there's this fancy thing called "AIRMAL"! Amazing isn't it?
And the blog you are slandering for no reason doesn't either and was specifically giving info for the UK where they are based.
Last time I checked, "slander" was defined as "a false, malicious statement". Sounds like you don't even know the meaning of the words you use, because I never said anything false about them. As to "specifically giving info for the UK where they are based", what difference does it make? They published false info, and that's a fact.
Who do you think gives them their monitors to review?
Nobody in his right mind, certainly :DDon't get too exited, just kidding.
They are privy to info that the general public aren't.
Give me a break. They are not the only one monitor review site in the UK (not nearly best known, too), so how come they were the only one privy to info that the general public aren't"? In case you missed it, no one else talked about "February/March release in the UK". They might've managed to unofficially coax some lowly BenQ employee into giving a semi-arbitrary date, but that's certainly as far as it could go. Much more likely the "February/March" was their interpretation of BenQ's "shortly after January".
They are simply passing on what they've been told by the PR company and/or BenQ who they communicate with directly. Things change, there are frequently setbacks with monitor releases. I completely understand your frustration and I'm in the same boat, but I think you're making a big deal out of not a lot to be honest.
Excuses, excuses, I want more and more excuses... and then much more! I want to be the excuse king of the world! And I will be!
Oh, BTW, they can't even use a catchphrase properly. I mean, you shoot the piano player, but kill the messenger. After that can you really blame anyone for having a low opinion about them? :p

I have better things to do than individually reply to such obvious ineptness and ignorance. So I'll leave your inflated ego where it is as you've completely derailed the thread. Plus I'm new here and don't want to cause any bother. It seems looking around that you annoy a lot of people.

And you should spend more time reading and less typing, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_the_messenger

@alek

Maybe the semi gloss helps the perceived contrast? Still a bit confused on which models actually use this. If its just the HS or also the HM?

Last edited:
How quaint. Now that you don't have anything meaningful to say on all of my points but one, you resort to alluding to my "ineptness, ignorance and inflated ego". Well, at least that (hopefully) concludes our discussion. I might have annoyed a lot of people who have trouble with the logical curve, but as long as it puts an end to their misinforming gossip, I consider it a good thing.

Good, now that that's out of the way...

Thinking more about my EW2430. I like its screen coating (semi gloss) and think that the contrast is great. I can't stand stronger matte coats. I sort of prefer 24" to 27" though, but there is no such thing as a GW2460HS. And the more I read about it the less I think the GW2460HM is semi gloss (does anybody have one? Somebody must be able to confirm).

Good, now that that's out of the way...

Thinking more about my EW2430. I like its screen coating (semi gloss) and think that the contrast is great. I can't stand stronger matte coats. I sort of prefer 24" to 27" though, but there is no such thing as a GW2460HS. And the more I read about it the less I think the GW2460HM is semi gloss (does anybody have one? Somebody must be able to confirm).

Had one. GW2460HM is pure matte.

How quaint. Now that you don't have anything meaningful to say on all of my points but one, you resort to alluding to my "ineptness, ignorance and inflated ego". Well, at least that (hopefully) concludes our discussion. I might have annoyed a lot of people who have trouble with the logical curve, but as long as it puts an end to their misinforming gossip, I consider it a good thing.

You and the grumpy cat should get a room.

I hope you never get the monitor.

Please, help me to remember the model name of the Benq 24" MVA, PWM-free... It would be a viable alternative compared to heavy coated EV2436...

Yes, BL2411PT, thanks. It seems indeed it has heavy AG. Furthermore I was unable to find any serious review... Also it has the same good availability of GW2760HS.

*Discarded.* I'm starting to feel desperate.

Last edited:
The non availability of this monitor is a mystery. There must be some kind of logical explanation for this. I mean WTF?

The non availability of this monitor is a mystery. There must be some kind of logical explanation for this. I mean WTF?

Well, BenQ aren't LG or Samsung in terms of resources.

Anyone interested in alternatives might look at the newly released Samsung S27C750P I am discussing here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1757553

I picked this up today and will be posting pics and impressions later today. I am not sure if the Samsung features the flicker free feature, but I can check. It does match the BenQ's other features: WVA panel, slim design, high static contrast, etc. Personally, it looks a lot sleeker in terms of design.

Last edited:
I voiced my thoughts about that on page 3. They're either completely inept or working to create a buying frenzy. I see no other explanation.

I voiced my thoughts about that on page 3. They're either completely inept or working to create a buying frenzy. I see no other explanation.

I don't think it is a matter of resourses as stated above. I mean they're not having any problems with the rest their monitors right? Just with GW2760HS.

"buying frenzy" eh? HOW MUCH TIME DO THEY NEED? WANT? christ!!!

As for the Samsung option i would happily go for the S27C770 model instead of the S27C750P. I always go for the Glossy version if available.

From BenQ USA:

"Yes, unfortunately we don't have any current plans to release the GW2760HS in the US. However we are planning to launch a similar product by the end of July, the GW2760HM. It's a 27" screen that includes the Flicker-free Backlight, MVA screen, and other cool features that you might want to check out. The main difference would be that the GW2760HS has a thinner bezel than the GW2760HM. Hope this helps!"

So if you want to get the GW2760HS overseas order it is!

Last edited:
Eh? The GW2750HM is already out and is completely different. Normal matte screen surface, does use PWM. What nonsense.

Eh? The GW2750HM is already out and is completely different. Normal matte screen surface, does use PWM. What nonsense.

Unless... they are keeping the same name and replacing it with the older models.

It was a typo... fixed!

GW2760HS has the color-shift tech, the semi-glossy screen, slimmer bezel and the 3000:1 contrast ratio.

GW2760HM has a matte screen, ticker bezel, no color-shift tech and a 5000:1 contrast ratio.

Apparently they both share the Flicker-Free backlight.

Me personally can't stand full a blown matte screen. I shall be ordering/preordering the GW2760HS on amazon.it

GW2760HM does have PWM, period. If anyone needs proof, prad.de oscilloscope reading is a nearly rectangular waveform. However, it has always been pretty evident that it's gonna have PWM, otherwise BenQ would be much too stupid not to mention "flicker-free backligth" on its page.

So if you want to get the GW2760HS overseas order it is!
And not before a wait of... well, we'll see how many weeks, months or years.

Come to think of it, there may be another reason why the GW2760HS's EU release lies in infinity and the US one isn't going to happen.

The thing is, BenQ took a very bold step of officially linking eyestrain to PWM, which no other vendor has done before them. So they may be afraid that those whose eyes continue to ache as they did after the switch from a PWM monitor to their non-PWM one will sue them to financial ruin. And the US is, undoubtedly, the place where this is most likely to happen.

So perhaps BenQ is now trying to produce some semblance of medical proof that PWM causes eyestrain and when they do have it they'll greenlight the European release of GW2760HS.

Now that I mentioned it, I would advice people suffering from what's called "computer vision syndrome" not to expect any miracle from a PWM-free monitor. I can't speak for the others, but for me it appears that near-work while looking into the light source directly is the main cause of eyesight problems, while flicker only plays a minor role, if any. Nevertheless, I want my next monitor to be PWM-free, but that's only because getting rid of PWM will surely not hurt.

Last edited:
The lawsuit angle I find very iffy. If anything, I would have thought there would be class action lawsuits against all monitor manufacturers due to false contrast levels (how many actually reach stated specs exactly?), meaningless dynamic contrast levels and stated response times that seem to bare no semblance to reality. And Eizo has also linked PWM to flicker/eye strain, and sell some models without it, yet they are sold in the US (albeit just barely).

But one reason could be related to PWM-free monitors hurting sales of their PWM models. It's always seemed a bit odd how manufacturers handle PWM stuff, as if they state that PWM causes eyestrain, and sell one monitor without it, it makes all of their other monitors look bad in comparison.

BenQ isn't exactly a giant US presence to begin with, so it simply could be due to lack of resources or some marketing reason. It doesn't make much sense to me, but half the things most companies do doesn't make sense to me either.

There is another option besides the S27C750P and the GW2760HS/HM.

The PHILIPS 271P4QPJEB... it might not have the PWM and I think is matte screen and according to some sources it shares the same A-MVA Panel the GW2760HM has.

It's new and is here:
Display port and pivot stand.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824133093

http://m.usa.philips.com/c/pc-monit...-68.6cm-full-hd-display-271p4qpjeb_27/prd/en/

http://www.provantage.com/philips-271p4qpjeb~7PHC912K.htm

Does any one has more info about this model?

Back