BenQ G2400WD / V2400W - Still the best 24" TN for Gaming

Malakai

2[H]4U
This monitor was tested, talked about, basically beaten to death in this forum over the last year. But now, all those old threads are way back and gone, and there are still threads popping up every day about which is the best 24" or general large widescreen for gaming.

Well I was researching all day looking for a new monitor for my good friend & boss, and even almost a year later, almost nothing compares to the BenQ G2400WD I got last christmas.

And don't let my thread title kid you, this screen is not just good for gaming! Text is razor sharp, blacks are deep and dark, while colors and brightness are totally uniform across the screen. I always emphasize the gaming aspect because this screen has fantastic reactivity (even with overdrive turned off, I personally use setting 1, off 1 and 2 are available options with 2 being fastest/strongest) and almost zero input lag so its perfect for games. Also note that there are almost no overdrive artifacts at all, even on setting 2, something I have yet to see any other TN be able to boast.

A little background: I got myself a G2400WD a week after Xmas '08, was on sale from NCIXUS.com for $270 plus shipping (and an optional zero dead pixel guarantee which brought the total cost to $325 shipped to FL), The first one I got had a single stuck red pixel, but since I paid for the DP guarantee, I went ahead and had them cross ship me another. Rather than pay to have it shipped back, I asked NCIX if my buddy could keep the "defective" one, which I kindly only charged him the base price for (they debit your card for the cost of the second one they cross ship you, and credt it back when they receive the old one back). They said yes, and now my buddy, who I also work for (ebay/online biz), had one of these screens too.

At my house, my benq sits next to my old Viewsonic VP191b which serves as my secondary monitor. At my buddys house, it sits next to his 24" non widescreen 1600x1200 Planar screen (wx something iirc, I forget). Needless to say, the BenQ blew both of our prior monitors out of the water on the brightness, sharpness, blacks, and color aspects. I was actually quite shocked since both old screens are non-TNs. And over the last year, we have both grown more and more in love (LOL!) with the BenQ. Every time a friend or customer gets a new LCD, I always check it out, and find myself thinking "my benq is still better in this or that respect, a much better deal", ect.

Anyway, I am perfectly happy with my setup, except maybe that I would love to get a second BenQ to replace the viewsonic as my secondary. But my buddy, who is doing extremely well financially, wants something bigger and more expensive. Of course I asked him if he would part with his benq and he told me "never!! its my secondary now!". We ended up deciding on the Dell 3007WFP-HC.

Now we don't have the 3007 to compare it to yet, but seeing as it is a massively huge 1200 dollar PVA, I do not expect them to compete with each other, it would be like comparing apples and truck tires. Even in such an unbalanced match up, the benq manages to eek out a few advantages for gaming (input lag and reactivity, are both much better on a TN compared to PVA/*-IPS, ect like the 3007).

He initially wanted something smaller & cheaper than the 30" Dell, so as I said I spent all day researching monitors online, reading reviews here and around the net, and I went to WalMart, Best Buy, K-Mart, and elsewhere looking at screens in person. After all that, I can confidently state, that to me none of the other monitors I looked at could compare to the G2400WD. Sure some of them were better at one specific aspect (viewing angles, color, ect), but none could match the full package you get with the G2400WD. Backlight bleed and motion artifacting (likely from enabled overdrive) were big peeves I noticed, along with poor color/brightness uniformity and blurry text coming in next,

So yeah, the point of this little story is this: If you are looking for an affordable 24" monitor for gaming, general desktop use, watching movies, pretty much everything but pro photo editing where you should not be using a true 8-bit panel, the BenQ is still the screen to get.. I need to emphasize this part since I forgot to mention it @the beginning, the G2400WD absolutely ROCKS for watching video, no banding or artifacting at all that I've noticed, blacks are deep and dark, no blurring either. I have watched hundreds of hours of movies, tv series, and anime on this baby.
My old viewsonic had nasty distortions on a lot of video. And I went through 3 other 22-24" TN monitors (bought & returned) before I hit the benq (LG 227 something, HP 22" glossy, samsung T240/260) that all had some kind of issues with movie watching. The LG had a disgusting shimmer that was totally distracting, the HP blurred and the glare from glossy bothered me, the samsungs were pretty great but both had very bad backlight bleeding.
The BenQ G2400WD has none of these problems. Again I am totally shocked at how well it compares to modern screens after all this time!

To wrap it up, we looked at various screens all day, ranging in price from 200 to 2000 dollars, and they all had some issue or quirk which made us think "this is not an upgrade from the benq" or "I cant stand X issue after using the benq all this time", or "this is not worth the price compared to my benq". So if you are in the market for a new large WideScreen TN LCD, look no further. NCIXUS either doesnt have them in stock right now, or does not sell them anymore, but they are still available at a variety of places around the net. At the 250-350 price range, IMO it simply cannot be beat. I ended up recommending my buddy either just get a second G2400WD for dual screenie ownage, or drop the dough down for the 30" Dell, as anything less simply was not worth the price increase of the BenQ.

PS that supposedly the BenQ V2400W uses the exact same panel as the G2400WD, it just has a different "package" (bezel, stand, ect), so everything I rave about the G2400WD here should apply to the V model as well. I trust the reviews and sources that claimed they are the same panel, or I could not have mentioned it here in this thread. But I have not run a V side by side with my G so don't take that as 100% fact. Also note that I find the V's enclosure to be very odd looking and distracting, as it is not symmetrical at all.

Take care all, hope some people find this helpful! And other BenQ G2400WD owners (or V version owners), please drop in to let us know what you think of your screen after using it for some time. Also feel free to share your color/brightness/contrast settings you have found desirable. Any comments, tips, or conversations about the screen are all welcome here, I'm very curious if its just me or if others here love this screen as much as I do. It does not seem to get mentioned very often anymore!

Lastly, to be fair, the Samsung T240 was really not that much worse than the G2400WD. It would have been a solid competition if it was not for the absolutely horrid backlight bleed the two Sammys I went through had.

Sorry to self bump, but there are still new "looking for 24" screen recommendation" threads popping up.

Also I wanted to share my settings. IMO they are perfect.
Brightness 70, Contrast 48, User Mode color: RGB: 98 95 88. Picture Mode: Standard. And I use overdrive (called AMA in options menu) at setting 1, with off being no overdrive and 2 being heavy overdrive.

:)

That's great but where can you get one new at a resonable price? Newegg and Amazon are discontinued.

Wow even the benq store doesn't carry them anymore. The only 24" wide they sell anymore is the E2400HD, which is 1920x1080 and has nowhere near the image q that the G2400WD has.

Why on earth did they discontinue such a great screen? Sorry to like, wave it in everyones faces now that they are not available anymore. But seriously discontinuing one of the best 24" TNs on the market is craziness!

Why on earth did they discontinue such a great screen? Sorry to like, wave it in everyones faces now that they are not available anymore. But seriously discontinuing one of the best 24" TNs on the market is craziness!

Cost most probably.

A few years ago, Panasonic did the same thing with one of their dvd player. Can't remember the model number, but it had a Faroudja chipset and no chroma bug DVD RP-82 if I remember correctly). Was retailed around 400$ CAD (which was a tad more expensive than your normal DVD player at the time). It was acclaimed around the web. a Faroudja DCDi for half the price of a Denon with the same specs....

...Took them less than a year to replace it with an inferior model!

Somewhere (probably here) said that of course 16:9 panels are less expensive to produce than 16:10.

Seems like the majority of people buying LCD monitors now don't care much about losing some screen height as long as they can play their movies on their screen...

I wanted to get two more for Eyefinity >< I found exactly 1 for sale on the interwebz but it was $400!

Back