BenQ G2400W

Thanks for letting me know,

Now I just need to confirm that either my cable box is really NOT sending audio, or if it does, then that might be the jacks not working on my G2400W (hoping that this isn't the case).

_Rej_

Yep,

I can confirm as well. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 output audio over HDMI. I have the 360 set to dolby digital and no issues with sound coming out of the proper channel (left or right) on the headphones.

Same settings on PS3, except manually set to output sound via HDMI.

PS3 you have to set it, 360 will just do it as long as an HDMI cable is connected.

Regards,

10e

I have just made an order on G2400W.

I hope I will be happy with it. Will be back with review.

Yep,

I can confirm as well. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 output audio over HDMI. I have the 360 set to dolby digital and no issues with sound coming out of the proper channel (left or right) on the headphones.

Same settings on PS3, except manually set to output sound via HDMI.

PS3 you have to set it, 360 will just do it as long as an HDMI cable is connected.

Regards,

10e

Thanks.

Now I know for sure that the monitor works with sound through HDMI (earphone jack was made for that exclusively if I understand the monitor correctly).

I'm realizing that now I still don't know which isn't working properly though :/. Could it be that something inside the monitor makes it so that the protocol detects that the monitor cannot output sound? I don't think so but it's hard to figure out since I have no other HDMI devices available and those of my friends that own the necessary equipment (PS3/360, HDMI TV etc) are far away atm.

Still, something tells me that it's the cable box since it says NO AUDIO while my friend's cable box says LPCM uncompressed (not same monitor but still, the other 2 parameters are exactly the same).

I'll concentrate my research on the SA8300HD from now on.

Again, thank you all for the replies... much appreciated :)

Regards...

_Rej_

P.S. I'll report back when I have a solution.

I don't know how anyone couldn't be happy with this monitor. Even the fact that it's a TN panel doesn't bother me. I watch movies on this monitor from across the room and a couple feet below. Viewing angles don't bother me in the least!

Buy.com has the G2400WD for pretty cheap. I cant really find their return policy on their site. Has anyone bought from them, are they any good?

Edit: It seems their checkout page is broken right now anyways.

Edit2: Their checkout page is back up and I thought "screw it" and bought it. This coupon takes $15 off it which brings the price of it down to $364 and two day shipping brings it up to $369. That seemed like a kick-ass deal to me.

I bought my FP241W from BenQ store and I am quite happy with their direct store. Here is a 10% promo code to share "thankyou10" :)

Buy.com has the G2400WD for pretty cheap. I cant really find their return policy on their site. Has anyone bought from them, are they any good?

Edit: It seems their checkout page is broken right now anyways.

Edit2: Their checkout page is back up and I thought "screw it" and bought it. This coupon takes $15 off it which brings the price of it down to $364 and two day shipping brings it up to $369. That seemed like a kick-ass deal to me.
I hope it doesn't ship from too far away. I got mine (W) from newegg and it only had to travel 100-150miles, arrived in 1 day. Yet UPS managed to put a hole thru the box but not the screen, and the seal on the box was completely broken as if it was open. But I trust newegg won't try to sell an open box as a new product, plus everything inside looked as it should.

Benq's packaging is a bit ridiculous for such a large screen. After reading the warnings on this thread I opted to pay about $25 more and order from newegg because they were the closest warehouse to me.

EDIT: I forgot to answer your question :p ... I ordered from them several times before but nothing this big or expensive. The only issue I have with them is that they sometimes take a while to process the orders (2-3 days) and it seems they use 3rd party stores/warehouses to fulfill some of their orders, I personally don't like that. I never had to do any returns, only once I had to cancel an order because they ran out of whatever it was I was getting after I placed my order, so I called in and it was easy just cancel rather than wait for item to be back in stock. Oh ya and once I ordered a USB hub and received 2 instead of one ... I bet you won't be sad if you get 2 G2400WDs :D

By the way I read a user review on newegg that with dynamic contrast switched the viewing angles are worse. Is that true? Is there a correlation between the 2?
Also according to that review it can be turned off. So that is good considering that it seems to be a feature you wouldn't want to have on from what has been discussed earlier.

Trent,

You are right.

You are getting stuff from Buy or NewEgg or any online dealer from different locations. This is because their distributor/warehouser stores the parts and ships them directly to you. Minimizes the online seller's warehousing and inventory. Pretty normal practice. Sometimes the distributor has different stock levels in different locations and you will get from the close or further location.

Additionally, the packaging for the G2400W is HORRENDOUS. Another user here (TheGooch69) got his screen with a hole in the box and a hole in the screen. Ouch. I think it was also through UPS.

I hope they fix that on the G2400WD or V2400W. Great for shipping costs, but very bad for insurance costs.

I doubt there would be a correlation between viewing angles and dynamic contrast. We'll find out soon.

Regards,

10e

In retrospect it was stupid of me to be a test subject for the D model but Ill probably be happy with it. I'm going from a old 16" 1280x1024 CRT, which is showing signs that its rapidly failing, to this LCD.

As for shipping, I was expecting it to be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest. It turns out that it was picked up from their warehouse at 8:20 pm today in Illinois. I live in Michigan so it should be here pretty quickly but I didn't know they did things so late at night. Maybe they are going to move it overnight and it will be here on tomorrow (Friday), that would be awesome. Its being shipped FedEx, by the way.

When it gets here Ill give a full rundown of the controls regarding dynamic contrast and overdrive and pictures of the packaging and monitor and stuff.

Edit: FedExes site says the estimated arrival day is Saturday. I didnt know they delivered on weekends, I guess that is an advantage of two day shipping?

I doubt you will have issues, since it's pretty much the same design it should be good, and BenQ doesn't seem to suffer as much from the A00/A01/A02 revision syndrome like Dell does.

Good luck on Saturday :)

Regards,

10e

In retrospect it was stupid of me to be a test subject for the D model but Ill probably be happy with it. I'm going from a old 16" 1280x1024 CRT, which is showing signs that its rapidly failing, to this LCD.

As for shipping, I was expecting it to be here Monday or Tuesday at the latest. It turns out that it was picked up from their warehouse at 8:20 pm today in Illinois. I live in Michigan so it should be here pretty quickly but I didn't know they did things so late at night. Maybe they are going to move it overnight and it will be here on tomorrow (Friday), that would be awesome. Its being shipped FedEx, by the way.

When it gets here Ill give a full rundown of the controls regarding dynamic contrast and overdrive and pictures of the packaging and monitor and stuff.

Edit: FedExes site says the estimated arrival day is Saturday. I didnt know they delivered on weekends, I guess that is an advantage of two day shipping?

take at look at the Ergotron Neoflex stand. $35 at amazon. I plan on getting one myself.

try a search here, i know people on hardforum have used it...I think I saw it in the Show your LCD thread.

Suggestions on a stand for g2400wd? Rather not spend $100.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does the G2400 accept a standard stand? The one that comes with it certainly doesn't appear to have standard mounting.

Hey Snowdog,

You won't see it on any photos. They cover it up with a plastic plate. You take off the plastic plate and voila, you will find a 100x100mm VESA compatible mount for it with 4 screws. I'm sure the G2400WD will be the same. The V2400W's slim design does not allow this if I am correct.

The built-in stand can be removed by taking off a couple of screws.

If you look at the monitor on the right in this shot, it is the G2400W sitting on one of those Best Buy desk arms from Ergotron (45-185-194). You can buy similar arms from Ebay for a lot less.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3250/2428234766_f7336b730f_b.jpg

That day I had stereo caffeine to flank the centre channel :)

By the way, I've been playing with some calibration software called "BasicColor" and checked the calibration of the monitor with my Eye One Display 2 colorimeter and I thought I'd check out the brightness.

The 0 brightness setting at 50 contrast is 47 cdm/2 and 50 brightness is around 96 cdm/2. Max/100 brightness at 50 contrast is around 210 cdm/2. If I up the contrast to 60 add about 15 cdm/2 to these numbers. At contrast 66 the numbers max out by another 10 cdm/2. Max brightness I could achieve with contrast at around 66 was 230 cdm/2. Contrast ratio varied between 650 and 750.

Regards,

10e

Does the G2400 accept a standard stand? The one that comes with it certainly doesn't appear to have standard mounting.

By the way, I've been playing with some calibration software called "BasicColor" and checked the calibration of the monitor with my Eye One Display 2 colorimeter and I thought I'd check out the brightness.

The 0 brightness setting at 50 contrast is 47 cdm/2 and 50 brightness is around 96 cdm/2. Max/100 brightness at 50 contrast is around 210 cdm/2. If I up the contrast to 60 add about 15 cdm/2 to these numbers. At contrast 66 the numbers max out by another 10 cdm/2. Max brightness I could achieve with contrast at around 66 was 230 cdm/2. Contrast ratio varied between 650 and 750.

Now that is the perfect back light for someone like me that likes to turn it down when my eyes get tired.

Ordered the G2400WD and should arrive early Monday - Tuesday. Any suggestions before I begin tinkering with it?

It arrived. I am impressed. Dynamic contrast and overdrive (AMA) are disabled by default.

This thing is huge compared to my 16" CRT!

There seem to be no dead pixels. The black levels are great, the viewing angle, dispite being a TN, is a lot better than I expected. I am impressed on all accounts.

It arrived. I am impressed. Dynamic contrast and overdrive (AMA) are disabled by default.

This thing is huge compared to my 16" CRT!

There seem to be no dead pixels. The black levels are great, the viewing angle, dispite being a TN, is a lot better than I expected. I am impressed on all accounts.

Hey SanitysEdge, glad to hear you're impressed.

I am returning my fhd2400 today and am trying to decide between the g2400w, g2400wd, and v2400w. If you have a gaming console with hdmi (xbox360 or ps3), could you please test if the D has the flickering black bar problem on 1080p?

Huge thanks to the people leaving little comments about their purchases! Makes deciding on stuff like this so much easier.

SanitysEdge, great to hear that your impressed with it. One thing that I'm really curious about is if the input lag has changed, the low input lag of the G2400W is huge reason I'm interested in it. Do you have any possibility to check that compared to your CRT?

Input lag: Coming from a CRT, I havent noticed any at all. I dont have any means of scientificly backing that up though.

1080p Flickering Bars: I don thave a 1080p source so I cant check this either.

I am noticing some flickering on the left side of some images. Its strange. It doesnt do it on this site but it did in the the Team Fortress 2 menu, and when I look some things picture there are some green pixels on the left side that flash in and out quickly and along the horizontal row of pixels that left most pixel is on there are also some more intersparsed green pixels that flash in and out in sync with the left pixels.

Here is the packaging, it is pretty terrible. The Face of the LCD is about an inch and a half from the side of the box. There is some stryofoam in there though.

Dynamic Contrast is disabled and greyed out by default. It can only be enabled on certian picture modes.

Overdrive is disabled by default and can be turned on in any picture mode.

If and when the G2400WD arrives (Tuesday / Wednesday), I'll take a few photos and post them. From the stairs, packaging and all! However, it would be nice to know if anyone has special instructions prior to connecting it to the PC; turning brightness down etc, etc...

I'm a total noob to the LCD market.

I was a total noob to the LCD market untill I got the WD model today. My suggestion would be to just hook it up and play with the settings on it till you find whatever looks best to you. This site can help you a little bit.

The green flickering problem seems to have rectified itself.

As for 1080p flickering, I put the monitor in 1920x1080 and put the graphics card into aspect scalling and I didnt have any flickering bars. However thats probably cheating becuase the graphics card is doing the work and not the monitor.

I really like this monitor. If I didnt know any better I would have thought it was an IPS panel based on the descriptions ive heard of various panels. Ive seen TN panels on my grandma's laptop, her computer monitor, and on my cell phone. All of those have extremely noticable changes when you view them at different angles. I barely notice any change in the image when I move around. TN panels must have matured a lot in the past year or two. I do notice some temporal dithering when I look at it from about an inch away.

What is temporal dithering?

10e posted some pics on page 24 of this forum of his G2400 and his viewing angles look to be very good. I'm hoping the V2400 reviews all pop out next week so that I can finally pull the trigger on this thing.

So I have a question for the people who bought this monitor;

Seeing as Hardforums aim at more higher-end enthusiasts, how do you guys feel about buying and using a TN panel? Thoughts?

I took a ride to the TigerDirect warehouse and picked one of these up Saturday afternoon. I wanted to put it off until I was ready for my next pc build, but I couldn't wait. My Optiquest V95 crapped out on me finally after 11 years. My current pc is quite old, so there is no way in hell I can game at the native resolution of this monitor. I was surprised how decent Counterstrike looked with a non-native resolution (12-something by 7-something is what the game is set at).

Guild Wars looked gorgeous.

Unpacked it and plugged it right in w/o any adjustments.

No dead pixels. Consistent color top to bottom.

As far as input lag, none that I could see while playing CS. Then again, I pretty much suck ass in that game so I'm not the best judge.

My Windows desktop, however, can handle the native res and it looks very nice.

Amazing how small the Optiquest looked after I took this BenQ out of the box.

Its when the monitor rapidly switches between two colors to make a third color inbetween. I cant really see it all that much any more. It might have been my terrible eyes adjusting after looking at a 60hz CRT for a long time.

Seeing as Hardforums aim at more higher-end enthusiasts, how do you guys feel about buying and using a TN panel? Thoughts?
Anyone? :confused:

Considering the price difference and the fact that this screen has accurate enough colors and good viewing angles compared to other TNs, I am pretty happy with it. Sure I'd rather have an IPS but I don't feel like paying the price :D.

At work I have a 20" IPS, and honestly I'm starting to like the G2400W more just because of the extra resolution.

I am not a gamer, so the whole input lag and ghosting doesn't really matter for me. What I looked for when buying was resolution, decent color accuracy, and viewing angles. HDMI input was also a nice plus.

I also haven't experienced any flickering black bars when this thing is in 1:1 mode with 1080p. That was a major drawback for me when I heard about it, but it doesn't seem to effect the G2400WD/V2400W.

I have recieved my monitor now and I am very happy with it. Big thanx for all help!!!!!

+ Great colors
+ Good viewingangles for a TN (noticable better than 254B)
+ Basically no backlight bleeding.
+ Great for gaming (no ghosting)
- The look could be more flashy
- You cant change height with stand.

Better than expected and I had high expectations.

9/10

With a better look it would recieve 10.

I think the G2400W/WD is attractive as a good "bang for the buck" monitor.

I haven't had any problems with it being a TN. Yes, I'd like slightly better vertical viewing angles, but compared to most other TNs the viewing angle on the G2400W is far more usable and causes less color shifting top to bottom than many. I find the only place I can see it is on a full page of the hardforums with that background gray. Otherwise I'm still happy with mine after three plus months.

As a gaming display, there aren't many 24" monitors with lower input lag (if any) available in North America. I wouldn't recommend this monitor to people doing hard core photoshop as their livelihood but it performs everything else quite well, and the color calibration out of the box is good.

It's no Doublesight, but it's definitely a good monitor for what it is.

Regards,

10e

Same packaging as the G2400W. I definitely believe it is not sufficient to have this monitor shipped via ground without another box covering it...

Try running dead pixel buddy or DPT (Dead Pixel Tester) to see if it has any dead pixels or dead (red green or blue) subpixels.

Regards,

10e

Input lag: Coming from a CRT, I havent noticed any at all. I dont have any means of scientificly backing that up though.

1080p Flickering Bars: I don thave a 1080p source so I cant check this either.

I am noticing some flickering on the left side of some images. Its strange. It doesnt do it on this site but it did in the the Team Fortress 2 menu, and when I look some things picture there are some green pixels on the left side that flash in and out quickly and along the horizontal row of pixels that left most pixel is on there are also some more intersparsed green pixels that flash in and out in sync with the left pixels.

Here is the packaging, it is pretty terrible. The Face of the LCD is about an inch and a half from the side of the box. There is some stryofoam in there though.

Dynamic Contrast is disabled and greyed out by default. It can only be enabled on certian picture modes.

Overdrive is disabled by default and can be turned on in any picture mode.

Check this link:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

and scroll down to see the different types.

I definitely don't see example one on it. I see it on my BenQ FP241VW to varying degrees on all connectors, but definitely not on the G2400W.

Example two maybe, but it's really hard to see. You basically have to put your face two inches from the monitor and stare at it closely to see a very very mild pulse on dark grey scales.

The Samsung 2493HM is close to example one I find.

Regards,

10e

10e posted some pics on page 24 of this forum of his G2400 and his viewing angles look to be very good. I'm hoping the V2400 reviews all pop out next week so that I can finally pull the trigger on this thing.

Wow, this LCD is great... settings are great right out of the box. No dead pixels, whites are white and blacks are black. However, one drawback is the vertical viewing angles as 10e has mentioned... wish my stand could tilt down further.

Purchased from Newegg.com, shipping was great and no damage as others have feared. Though the packaging could use some help. If good reviews come in on the new V2400W I may end up exchanging this.

having terrible problems with black crush when using my XBOX360 on my current display. Does the G2400D have a gamma control when using the vga input?

I finally purchased the G2400W yesterday. So far I haven't really been able to hook it up to a proper source, so I can't speak to picture quality and all that yet but it looks pretty good.

I think the monitor is actually fairly attractive. I like the power button. I've played with the menus a bit and they seem pretty easy to use and all the options are great.

I was able to hook in my laptop using the included D-sub cable and check it out. I mainly wanted to do that to run Dead Pixel Buddy, which I did. Everything looked fine at first, but it seems I do have at least one dead pixel near the centre of the screen.

There may actually be some more, but it's hard to tell even right in front of the monitor. The others, if they are others, are smaller than the one that I can see for sure. Even it is pretty hard to notice, especially when you not inches from the screen.

I don't think I'll be able to do anything about it anyway as all the stores downtown here, and the one I got it from, have minimum dead pixel policies where you've got to have 4-7. I think at least 7 at the place I purchased from, Canada Computers. Anyway to really know exactly how many you have?

They don't show up on a black screen, but they do on all other colors and the one is larger than the others. If they are others. It'd be a hassle to take the thing back and exchange, but I do want to make sure I know what I'm getting at least.

I'm ok with it, but it does sort of suck after spending so much even if it is a good deal. Nothing is perfect with these kinds of things.

I'm more worried about what I think is a stuck pixel right along the edge in the lower right corner. There's a pixel that displays bright red at all times and is quite noticeable. It sounds like there should be a way to fix that, but I haven't given it a shot yet.

I should have a PS3 soon, which is the main thing I'll be using this for--for now. I'll be able to test 1080p and 1:1/Aspect, ect. I'm hoping the black bars when running 1080p in 1:1 won't be bothersome.

Back