Benq FP241W vs. LG L245WP-BN

goodCat

Weaksauce
Hello everybody!

I am about to purchase a 24" monitor and after reading several topics I narrowed my list to the following 2 models: Benq FP241W and LG L245WP-BN.

I will be using it mostly for webdesign (coding and photoshop), office, browsing, movies and so on. I won't be playing any games on it.

After reading a lot about these two models I think that the benq is overall a better monitor, but has that elusive blackout problem that no one managed to solve it. I personally couldn't live with that. Some units don't have this problem though according to the users. Regarding the LG, I haven't found a really thorough review until now, but I heard that its gamma correction is rather poor. How will this affect the image quality I do not know.

any help will be welcome! thanks!

Both are discontinued so you will only be able to find them on refurb or if lucky, left over stock.

But you are right, they are good screens, and are based on the same A-MVA panel.

The BenQ (if dated June 2007 or later) is still a great multi input screen. The blackout problem was widely reported but these newer models/build dates seemed to suffer it less. The LG was not known to suffer from this issue at all, but some issues related to HDMI interface with nVidia cards has been reported.

Other alternatives are the Dell 2408WFP(S-PVA), HP LP2475W(H-IPS), and if you are willing to go down to 22" and 1680x1050 resolution, the Dell 2209WA (eIPS). The 2408WFP and LP2475W are wide gamut, whereas the 2209WA is standard gamut. In Photoshop it's not a big deal, but with non-color managed apps, wide gamut screens have more strongly saturated colors to the point of being inaccurate.

You might also want to wait to July, when LG will start selling their 2420P which is also an IPS 24" screen, and should be cheaper than the HP and 2408WFP, which run between 500 and 600 each.

The 2209WA can be found at $240.00 from Dell U.S. if you chat up a representative, or $299.99 without a sale.

thanks for the reply, 10e. actually I managed to find new monitors (both lg and benq) here in romania. I definitely don't wanna go below 24" in terms or real estate.

I found a very good deal for dell 2408wfp but I cannot see it since I can only order it online and I am very concerned about that oversaturated color in applications without color management. So I guess I'll stick with the lg. can you give me more details about that issue with nvidia cards?
thanks!

Back