BenQ FP231W first impressions.

Armpit

Gawd
I just bought a BenQ FP231W at FutureShop here in TGWN. Anyway, I only managed to unpack it and set it up just now. DVI-D seems to work flawlessly with my Radeon 9800XT at 1920x1200. THERE IS NO SCREENDOOR EFFECT as seen with the Dell 2001FP, the surface coating does show glitter though similar to the 2001FP but a little less apparent perhaps, it never bothered me before. Haven't tried any games yet but here're some pictures of the monitor:

Front:
benq1.jpg

Back:
back.jpg

Controls:
controls.jpg

The controls are on the side which is a little cumbersome since they're not labeled on the bezel. I think the front bezel is also made of aluminum as it has that cold metal feel to it but I'm not 100% certain.

Preliminary scan for dead pixels shows that there're 20+ stuck-on subpixels of all 3 colours all over the screen. Sigh... something this expensive should not have this many. Oh well, I'll go the the store tomorrow and check one in the store before going home to ensure I get one with less/none defective subpixels.

Nice monitor, sorry to hear about the pixels though. Is there a certain way to find dead pixels?

Johnie said:
Nice monitor, sorry to hear about the pixels though. Is there a certain way to find dead pixels?

I just use the tool available on monitorsdirect.com and just visually examine the monitor with red, green, blue, black and white full screens. pretty simple, can really use anything to do that.

I have waited for this lcd. But now we have two 23" widescreen lcds to choose from.
This Benq and the HP L2335 (other thread). Which one is best? How much does the Benq
cost? Please try some games.

andersos said:
I have waited for this lcd. But now we have two 23" widescreen lcds to choose from.
This Benq and the HP L2335 (other thread). Which one is best? How much does the Benq
cost? Please try some games.

I got the Benq at FutureShop for $2500 Canadian (although I'll have them pricematch it to a quote I got for $2350 from another place). Gaming is as good on the Benq as it is on my Dell 2001FP, scaling is about similar, which is to say it's excellent. I've only tried a few games so it's still too early to comment. More later...

Ok, so price is about the same as the HP. What about the stand - How much can ju
adjust it in heigth? Are there any component or s-video inputs? 2001FP also has a LG
screen so they should perform the same.

andersos said:
Ok, so price is about the same as the HP. What about the stand - How much can ju
adjust it in heigth? Are there any component or s-video inputs? 2001FP also has a LG
screen so they should perform the same.

The stand goes up and down quite a bit, maybe 30cm total but I haven't measured it. The inputs include VGA, DVI, S-video and composite. Alas, there's no component input. Ghosting wise it may be even better than the Dell 2001FP.

andersos said:
Yes, seems to be a good display. But HP has pivot. And component input - I think.

Yes, the HP has those and this one does not unfortunately. Still, the HP us uglier :p .

PS The HP is not available in Canada so even if I wanted the other one I could not get it yet. Plus I could buy this at a store and check before taking home, a BIG deal for me since I hate dead pixels.

Back