BenQ EW2740L vs Dell P2714H vs Samsung S27D590P

Kreed

n00b
I am looking to get a 27" 1920x1080 monitor for my mum who's eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. She is not a gamer, so TN monitors are not necessary. I figured 1920x1080 would result in larger fonts when scaling is at 100%, putting less strain on her eyes.

I have narrowed my search down to the following three monitors:

BenQ EW2740L:
- $299 AUD
- AMVA Panel
- No swivel, pivot or height adjustment

Dell P2714H:
- $449 AUD or $404 when on sale
- AH-IPS Panel
- Tilt, swivel, pivot and height adjustment

Samsung S27D590P:
- $399 AUD
- PLS Panel
- No swivel, pivot or height adjustment

I also considered the Asus VN279QL, which is comparable to the BenQ but with the full adjustability features of the Dell. However, it doesn't look like Asus will be bringing it to Australia. The Iiyama PROLITE XB2780HSU-B1 is another monitor I looked at, but it's also not available in Australia.

Height adjustment would be nice, but not essential. I would assume as far as image quality and colour reproduction is concerned, they are all quite similar with the BenQ being slightly behind the other two. But from an eye strain perspective, I am thinking the BenQ's AMVA panel will be better since it doesn't have as strong a glow as the IPS panel.

Which monitor should I pick? Is there any reason to choose one over the other? Are there any other 27" 1080p monitors I should consider?

I'm so anti BEN Q for life now go with the Samsung or Dell
I was burned by Dell along time ago but they improved ten fold.

To me that is a very easy choice my friend. The BenQ is on a whole other level than the other 2 for black levels and contrast depth. Definitely give yourself the opportunity to at least see the AMVA screen.

The Benq EW2740L is well loved for a 27" 1080p screen.
The Dell is not. Way overpriced. Definitely not.
The Samsung is a good choice, too.

The real question is: Do you want something with good deep colors where the difference between dark brown and black is clear, or do you want a AD-PLS Samsung with worse color depth but better uniformity across the screen?

To me, like I said, it's an easy choice. The Benq AMVA is more exciting to play with or watch movies on, mark my words.

But one of Comixbooks consistently unintelligent (he couldn't figure out how to turn the brightness down on a BenQ TN panel he bought and consistently bashes them and dismisses all of their monitors) post claims otherwise!

The P2714H uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects) and a grainier matte coating than the S27D590P.

The EW2740L VA panel has a lighter matte (semi-glossy) coating than both and better colors since the Samsung AD-PLS and cheap AH-IPS panels color gamuts are smaller and less accurate than the best VA panels like the EW2740L. The Samsung has slightly faster pixel response times, especially with certain dark transitions, and less overshoot ghosting. The EW2740L (when the XB2780HSU-B1 is not available) and S27D590P (or S27D390H if you only want to connect the monitor to a PC) are the best 27" 1080p VA and IPS/PLS options.

Best Reviewed A-MVA Thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys. Looks like I will be getting the BenQ EW2740L unless something new comes onto the market or the Samsung S27D590P drops in price by $100 or more in the next couple of weeks.

Are the S27D590P and EW2740L still the best 27" 1080P non-TN panels available? I have an LG 27EA63V-P now and looking for another solid PS4/XB1 gaming choice.

Back