BenQ BL3201PT 4K monitor

Here's an excerpt of the e-mail from BenQ support:
HXkMLho.png

You are correct. It doesn't specify the monitor model. If you'd like, I can reply and ask for clarification. Nor does it specify the OS, but the rep told me the issue applies to both OS X and Windows.

I told the rep to e-mail me a summary of our conversation. He did a really poor job.

Weird, i don't see that issues, really (and others reported)

You do have this monitor? or BL3200PT?

You have both the BenQ 32" and the Philips 40", correct? Which one do you prefer?

Yes. Both have their pros and cons.

Philips:

+ Good blacks/whites.
+ Glossy / No grainy AG coating.
- Contrast shift.
- The size. 40" inch feels a bit big on the desktop.
- PWM. I thought I did not suffer from PWM issues but after having used the Benq I can tell that the Benq feels better for the eyes, so maybe I do suffer from PWM issues after all.

Benq:

+ Size. After having used 32" for a few days, I can tell that it feels better to have it on the desk then a 40" inch. I don't have to move the head so much and at the same time text on the Benq is not much smaller comparing to Philips at 100% scaling.
+ Flicker free. It has several "Low Blue Light" modes unlike Philips.
- AHVA Glow / BLB
- Grainy coating, although not so much grainy as some other panels.

I just hooked it up to my Air, ran it at 2560x1440, and it doesn't do it...

Mac Pro (late 2013)
Dual AMD FirePro D500 with 3GB GDDR5

Hmmm, that can definitely drive it at 60Hz too. I don't have an AMD GPU to test with though. Can you boot it to Windows?

I think NEK4TE is using 290 Xfire.

I just hooked it up to my Air, ran it at 2560x1440, and it doesn't do it...

Well this is really weird. Can you run it at full resolution, use the scaling feature (choose middle option), and try again (i.e., put to sleep and wake up)?

I just tried one more time (Windows 8.1) BL3201PH + DisplayPort Mini (what came with the Monitor).

No issue.

Yes. Both have their pros and cons.

Philips:

+ Good blacks
+ Glossy / No grainy AG coating
- Contrast shift
- The size. 40" inch feels a bit big on the desktop.
- PWM. I thought I did not suffer from PWM issues but after having used the Benq I can tell that the Benq feels better for the eyes, so maybe I do suffer from PWM issues after all.

Benq:

+ Size. After having used 32" for a few days, I can tell that it feels better to have it on the desk then a 40" inch. I don't have to move the head so much and at the same time text on the Benq is not much smaller comparing to Philips at 100% scaling.
+ Flicker free. It has several "Low Blue Light" modes unlike Philips.
- AHVA Glow / BLB
- Grainy coating, although not so much grainy as some other panels.

Funny, I deduced most of the pros and cons already from reading your posts but that's a nice summary for anyone who hasn't been following. :)

I guess the question should have been, if you could only keep one and were forced to send one back tomorrow, which one would you keep?

I'm surprised that the text on the BenQ doesn't seem a lot smaller than the text on the Philips. When I compared the pictures that you and others took of windows on the desktop, the text on the Philips seemed much larger and more readable. I realize that looking at pictures isn't like sitting in front of them, though.

I, like you, considered myself to not be affected by PWM. Maybe the effects of PWM are more pronounced on larger screens? Or maybe it's because you've been using them back and forth so closely to one another which makes the PWM effects more evident. My Samsung 27" 120hz monitor used PWM but I was never directly comparing it to another display. I had my Dell 30" adjacent to it, but rarely went back and forth between the two as it was powered off most of the time.

BTW, thank you for your first-hand information on these monitors. It has been very helpful to people like me who are considering both units.

Not sure if your corner is brighter than mine or you're just able to photograph it. The lower left is perfectly normal in that picture and my upper corners look like that. The yellow on my lower right is not that bright. Was this at 100% brightness?

As its getting darker here, i used brightens 70% - turned off lights, used full screen black background and that yellowish was still there.

I really think i should give another Monitor a try.

Well this is really weird. Can you run it at full resolution, use the scaling feature (choose middle option), and try again (i.e., put to sleep and wake up)?

Actually, this can't be reproduced on the Air, as it doesn't output 4k resolution.

Yep, no dice. Can't use full resolution on an Air.

Also an FYI, the last nVidia WHQL drivers included the 344.80 hotfix that changes how DP 1.2 devices are woken up.

As its getting darker here, i used brightens 70% - turned off lights, used full screen black background and that yellowish was still there.

I really think i should give another Monitor a try.

It's up to what satisfies you in the end. To me 70% is very, very bright. I use 30%. I use 20-25% with lights off. Using LG's 34UM95 next to it at similar brightness, the 34UM95 bleed is much, much worse.

Every IPS variant display I've seen does not display pure black with all lights off, including CCFLs.

VA has the gamma shift in the corners unless you have the display pushed back far enough, and TN does something similar.

You're going to need to pick between glow/BLB and gamma shift man.

What i don't understand is - why i am seeing yellowish color in right corner, and in left top corner its only a white bleed\or whatever it is - which doesn't bother me at all.

Funny, I deduced most of the pros and cons already from reading your posts but that's a nice summary for anyone who hasn't been following. :)

I guess the question should have been, if you could only keep one and were forced to send one back tomorrow, which one would you keep?

I'm surprised that the text on the BenQ doesn't seem a lot smaller than the text on the Philips. When I compared the pictures that you and others took of windows on the desktop, the text on the Philips seemed much larger and more readable. I realize that looking at pictures isn't like sitting in front of them, though.

I, like you, considered myself to not be affected by PWM. Maybe the effects of PWM are more pronounced on larger screens? Or maybe it's because you've been using them back and forth so closely to one another which makes the PWM effects more evident. My Samsung 27" 120hz monitor used PWM but I was never directly comparing it to another display. I had my Dell 30" adjacent to it, but rarely went back and forth between the two as it was powered off most of the time.

BTW, thank you for your first-hand information on these monitors. It has been very helpful to people like me who are considering both units.

My Philips has some issues, and I'm gonna return it. That's why I bought the Benq.

Yep, no dice. Can't use full resolution on an Air.

Also an FYI, the last nVidia WHQL drivers included the 344.80 hotfix that changes how DP 1.2 devices are woken up.

It's up to what satisfies you in the end. To me 70% is very, very bright. I use 30%. I use 20-25% with lights off. Using LG's 34UM95 next to it at similar brightness, the 34UM95 bleed is much, much worse.

Every IPS variant display I've seen does not display pure black with all lights off, including CCFLs.

VA has the gamma shift in the corners unless you have the display pushed back far enough, and TN does something similar.

You're going to need to pick between glow/BLB and gamma shift man.

Only IPS with A-TW polarizer does not suffer from glow. But it seems expensive so they don't use it in most monitors.
Expensive NEC displays aimed at professionals have it, and some other.

8paYVvq.png

Last edited:
My Philips has some issues, and I'm gonna return it. That's why I bought the Benq.

Well, I think the fact that you're not just going with another Philips is a bit telling then.

I was leaning towards the Philips but I think I'm going to wait to see what's announced as far as 4K in Q1 2015. It's hard to wait, but I think that we are on the verge of seeing some really exciting stuff come out. I'm hoping for 32" 4K with FreeSync/G-Sync or alternatives to the Philips 40" that are better and easier to obtain. We'll have to see what Seiki does with their new large 4K monitors...they sound promising so far.

Of course, if the BL3201PH or B326HK go on sale for a price that I can't pass up, I might very well end up with one of those. I'm really looking forward to more desktop space and I hear games look gorgeous at 4K if you can run them smoothly. I'll need at least another 970 to have any hope of doing that, though.

Been seeing the question of performance with a pair of high-end video cards and whether or not it can handle 4k gaming cranked yet... answer is a resounding yes. Cross-posting this from the Acer B326HK thread since it's a hot topic:

For those wondering about 4k performance at this point in time, wonder no more. Here's my rig running BF4 64-player multi on a demanding map as an example including settings pictured:

qO9bQ9g.png

That's pretty much how most games look in terms of performance/settings for me :D. Dial things down and drop MSAA and you could get acceptable performance on a single card, I'd imagine... but those claiming that 4K gaming isn't doable with eyecandy cranked are wrong :).

Has anyone bought a monitor directly from BenQ before? How was the experience for returns? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this monitor but I only see it in stock at the BenQ store and at B&H photo.

I would just wait for it to show back up at Amazon again. $100 cheaper, free shipping, and no-hassle returns/exchanges. That's just me, though. :)

Amazon just has it in stock again, but pricing is much higher than last time; $1082.56 + $24.19 shipping. :)

I was waiting for it to get on sale to maybe lower than Acer's. But it seems like it won't happen till CES announces something better to drive prices on these down.

hey guys,

What do you use for AMA setting on this Monitor?

When i have Premium option enabled, and go to any website with a lot of text on it, i see a lot text "ghosting" while scrolling up and down.
If i set it to High, i hardly notice ghosting.

Shouldn't AMA premium reduce ghosting even more, or i completely lost how it works? (which is probably the case) :)

Thanks

Typically, "High" is the best AMA setting for BenQ monitors as the "Premium" setting tends to introduce a lot of overshoot (which I'm sure is what you're seeing - TFT Central review here for more info and a better explanation). Scroll down to the section where they test the AMA settings.

Thank you! - reviewing it now.

One more thing i am unable to figure out.

I enabled eye protect setting in OSD, and for some reason, in the right bottom corner there is an icon (pretty big) with eye and some lines under it, it never goes away - how do i remove it, or it is supposed to be there while this option is enabled? (which i doubt).

Thanks guys!

Amazon got it back in stock and raised the price to $1100. Holy shit. I'd recommend anyone that was waiting on this to consider the B326HK.

Thank you! - reviewing it now.

One more thing i am unable to figure out.

I enabled eye protect setting in OSD, and for some reason, in the right bottom corner there is an icon (pretty big) with eye and some lines under it, it never goes away - how do i remove it, or it is supposed to be there while this option is enabled? (which i doubt).

Thanks guys!

The option immediately below that one "Eye Protect Meter" is only available when "Eye Protect" is on. You can turn that off to hide the meter.

Eye Protect is way more aggressive on this than on the BL3200PT. I almost wonder if it was calibrated incorrectly. Oh well, I adjust brightness manually anyway.

A few of you may be trying to decide whether to buy this or the Acer B326HK.

I returned my B326HK today due to a red stuck pixel. I got the BL3201PH to replace it. I bought the B326HK from Provantage for $860, and to their credit, the customer service has been very good about letting me send the display back thus far. Assuming my refund is delivered on time, etc, I see myself being a repeat customer there despite having received a defective product. The BL3201PH I got from Amazon for $900, before they jacked up the price.

To make an educated guess, I would say that the price differential between the discounts we were seeing before and the jacked-up prices we have now is due to a bad first batch of panels. There were plenty of reports of stuck and dead pixels (whatup, DAI,) and then suddenly Newegg was selling the Acer for $699 and Amazon selling the BenQ for $899, clearing their stock very quickly. Now the prices are back up, so maybe the new batch of panels is more consistent.

No dead pixels on my BL though, and I would recommend it over the B326HK any day. I would guess that BenQ has better QA on these panels, partly because they own AU Optronics, but also because it's evident that more effort was put into their display overall.

First, to address =)(='s concerns about the matte - his posts freaked me out a little after I ordered it. As far as I can tell it is the same matte as on the B326HK, very very soft and fine. Finer than the already fine coating on the Apple 30" Cinema Display I was using previously. It's probably the softest coating I've seen on a matte monitor, so don't let the AG stop you from buying it. If you don't like this coating, you're probably just not a matte monitor person overall, and I suspect that is =)(='s problem.

As far as I can tell from general web use, the scaler seems to be better and sharper as well, but I'm going to try some modded Skyrim in a bit and see how that comes out.

The B326HK seems kind of cheap in comparison to the BenQ. It's evident that they slapped the display together without much thought. I am the kind of Apple user that typically eschews other products because they are poorly designed and built by comparison. The B326HK is mostly black plastic. The BenQ, on the other hand, has a large, solid, detachable aluminum column, a textured base, and all-around higher-quality assembly. In a certain way, I did like the B326HK's spartan, IBM-ish aesthetics, but the BenQ looks good sitting on my desk as well. (Neither can compete with Apple's unibody aluminum housings, though, and it is disappointing that other monitor manufacturers haven't caught up to their game.)

The OSD is another improvement. The B326HK's OSD is very basic and quite sluggish. I don't know how I feel about the OSD "puck" the BenQ uses - really hope I don't lose it, cause then I'll be without an OSD, and it has an unsightly wire that mars the display's otherwise good looks. But the OSD itself is very responsive and customizable. The same goes for switching inputs - sluggish on the B326HK, faster on the BenQ. Out of the box the BenQ also seems better calibrated to my eyes as well, although I plan to use a Huey on it soon.

Overall, I think the extra $ for the BenQ is a good investment. Other 32" 4k monitors are coming soon with DP 1.3 and maybe G-Sync, so these early monitors need to be good to hold any value. I am not sure that the B326HK will be at all desirable in 5 years, but I am confident that the BenQ will be.

Thanks for the post. I'm looking forward to your calibration results.

Also, the puck isn't a requirement to operate the OSD. The monitor has five buttons next to the power button to do so. I love the puck though.

Just pulled the trigger on this from Amazon Prime. It just seems overall for some reason I feel best about the BenQ lasting and I might be dead wrong and would have preferred the Phillips 40" one who knows.

Wondered if anyone that has this or the Acer similar model has it sitting next a Dell 30" or has seen a pic of it?Wondering if it's going to seem small in any way height wise if I'm using my Dell u3014 beside it on 2nd rig.

Edit: Also I'm assuming a vanilla Titan can push 4k at 60hz to test the monitor out ok on displayport ?

Last edited:
I think it's an inch shorter and two inches wider than a U3014.

Titan should be fine since it has DP 1.2.

I think it's an inch shorter and two inches wider than a U3014.

Titan should be fine since it has DP 1.2.

Thanks , I realize now the one pic I had seen of comparison wasn't 32 4k, it was an ultrawide 34. Heightwise beside the Dell 30" it looked tiny.

Looking forward to getting this in next week.

Back