Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

Sad thing is that they are aware of the problem, and they still did not do the recall.

People are still buying Monitors with issues, as they are selling them in all stores around the world.

This is not a small problem, but, a big problem in my opinion.

They should have all Monitors back to their factory, update them (fix them) and start selling them again.
It will cost them a lot of money, no doubt, but, stuff like this shouldn't be happening in my opinion, especially on professional Monitor + they are fully aware of the issue.

BenQ .. c mon.

I just checked mine and it does have flicker. But if you open up a OSD menu (the one that has more stuff not strip with icons) the flicker does disappear. So maybe they can fix something in firmware. However i am worried about sending them brand new monitor and getting it in bad shape as someone mentioned that they have to take it apart to fix. What do you guys thing i mean it doesnt bother me that much.

Hi All. Joined this forum and topic to chip in on this BenqBL3200PT issue.

I picked this monitor for its size, resolution and gaming-potential -- coming from 27". In use since Dec 22 -- bought in Holland -- its a September Built.

When I saw some flickering (and some mild vertical banding) when browsing/scrolling websites with greyish backgrounc color (susch as EA's Origin) I got weary -- and found this Forum that adresses this issue. I do get the Flicker issues is GE, throuh the other links.

Having 3 year On-Site gurantee I have notified BenQ -- and they have now arranged for an on-site exchange for a new unit my mid next week. BenQ replied with 2 days -- which I deem extremely fair. Now let's see how this further unfolds -- if the replacement-unit is flicker-free etc. Will keep you all posted.:)

If you contact BenQ and supply them with all the required information they will send you an RMA to get your monitor(s) updated. They have to install the firmware update.

I've escalated the issue further because I need the vertical bands/ brightness clouding fixed. I'm hoping their calibration equipment works.

I also must say their customer service has been doing their best to work with me. I agree its unfortunate that all these defective monitors are around and some type of recall should be occurring. Hopefully they can resolve these issues.

Is there a way to contact BenQ Canada directly and ask them if Brand new Bl3200PT can be purchased in any stores with updated firmware?

Maybe, manufacturing dates from 2015 (if any) or December 2014 would have firmware updated, since, now they are aware of the issue?

I also must say their customer service has been doing their best to work with me. I agree its unfortunate that all these defective monitors are around and some type of recall should be occurring. Hopefully they can resolve these issues.

It's entirely possible that the majority of people who bought this monitor use it and never notice the issue...in which case it would be much cheaper for them to fix the units on an individual basis rather than doing a mass recall. After all, it is marketed as a CAD/CAM work/productivity monitor rather than a gaming display and it took some people here a while to notice the issue (only in specific games or areas in Google Maps, etc.).

I work in the Tech industry -- when a product is clearly flawed as this one the vendor should reach out to its customers/users. Irrespective of the use. If the issue persists than retailers may demand a recall. The examples of the flickering mentioned in this forum earlier are not exclusive: I have now experienced full panel flickering frequently on other websites as well (try EA's Origin Portal).
I am awaiting RMA pick-up and exchange for a new unit - will report back once in use.

I work in the Tech industry -- when a product is clearly flawed as this one the vendor should reach out to its customers/users. Irrespective of the use. If the issue persists than retailers may demand a recall. The examples of the flickering mentioned in this forum earlier are not exclusive: I have now experienced full panel flickering frequently on other websites as well (try EA's Origin Portal).
I am awaiting RMA pick-up and exchange for a new unit - will report back once in use.

No you don't, you have no idea what are you talking about.

You post shows this is what you believe to be the right thing to do.

Sure that's how it should be, but it's not how it's usually done.

My information is from insiders of large retailer chain. First, retailer do not want to recall, recall products from customer does not benefit them a bit. If a product has "minor" flaw like this, they either keep selling it, or if they demand it is an issue, they will stop carrying it. Last thing they want is do a recall.

I don't know too much about manufacturer, but my guess is BenQ will replace this model with a new one or a new version that fix the issue but will never recall the defective units sold.

It's really up to end users to return/RMA them, sucks but nothing can be done, there is no FDA in this case to force them to do a recall.

I do miss Hitachi's customer service, I bought my first LCD from them, newegg refuse to take it back and Hitachi outsourced RMA to some other company who would ship you a new unit over night, then send you a prepaid box for ship the old unit back in a few days.

In the interest of keeping you guys informed, I just got a September model of BL3200PT from Best Buy and, no matter how hard I try, I cannot reproduce the flashing. Not sure if lucky or problems were solved by September.

I am in the process of returning my previous purchase (manufactured in August), which had severe flashing, back to Newegg.

On the flipside, my new monitor has a cloudy vertical line in the right 1/3rd of the screen, not too noticeable unless the screen is all white and you look for it. There are also 4 more dead pixels (for a total of 7), but they are not grouped so I guess it's ok.

Also, since we're comparing, the new monitor has more sensitive touch buttons, so it's actually easier to work the menus without using the control puck.

Edit: another thing too, the green/magenta test from Lagom has a considerably lesser effect on the second monitor. It's no longer producing severe, dark, horizontal shadows to the left and right of the browser window as I move it around, but there's still some gray-ish granular noise along the sides.

In the interest of keeping you guys informed, I just got a September model of BL3200PT from Best Buy and, no matter how hard I try, I cannot reproduce the flashing. Not sure if lucky or problems were solved by September.

I am in the process of returning my previous purchase (manufactured in August), which had severe flashing, back to Newegg.

On the flipside, my new monitor has a cloudy vertical line in the right 1/3rd of the screen, not too noticeable unless the screen is all white and you look for it. There are also 4 more dead pixels (for a total of 7), but they are not grouped so I guess it's ok.

Also, since we're comparing, the new monitor has more sensitive touch buttons, so it's actually easier to work the menus without using the control puck.

Edit: another thing too, the green/magenta test from Lagom has a considerably lesser effect on the second monitor. It's no longer producing severe, dark, horizontal shadows to the left and right of the browser window as I move it around, but there's still some gray-ish granular noise along the sides.

I would still return it and get a different one from bestbuy, it's easy, and I don't see why should anyone use a monitor with 7 dead pixels.

As for a the banding issue, mine has that too, but only really in light grey, so I will take that over backlight bleed/glow of most IPS.

Last edited:
I've been wondering if you bought one directly from BenQ, if you could specifically ask for a new model to avoid this flashing mess.

Did you check the firmware versions of the two monitors?

Hello,

I just bought one of these, only to find out about the flickering problem after that ...

Mine is from august, and it does flicker on google earth and origin :mad:

I tried several games but couldn't get any flash (all with AMA high) :

- Borderlands 2 : the start zone is full of ice, very light colors, i thought it would flicker but no.
- Skyrim : no flicker there, but i only played through the tutorial (i stopped once i got inside the castle after the dragon's attack). I know this game makes this screen flicker, but the images i saw were far later in the game. Could anyone that has the bug on skyrim confirm to me that the tutorial reproduces this problem ?
- Warframe : No flicker there too, though the game offers some very bright colors from time to time.

I contacted benq in my country an am awaiting for their answer, because excepted from the google earth and origin problem, the screen is flawless. Image quality is great, i got no dead pixel at all. A slight banding zone at the left edge of the screen but i can't see it in a normal use.

One thing to note : When i received the screen, i was at work and i work on an Imac. I tested the google earth problem with the screen connected to the mac (Mini displayport to DVI cable) and the screen flickered. But once i switched AMA to off, i couldn't get any flicker at all.

Once i got to my house, i tested it on my PC. This time, even with AMA off, i got flickers, on the same zones. I'm connected with a display port cable on the PC. Dunno if it's the mac or the DVI that made the difference, but there is one.

Hello,

I just bought one of these, only to find out about the flickering problem after that ...

Mine is from august, and it does flicker on google earth and origin :mad:

I tried several games but couldn't get any flash (all with AMA high) :

- Borderlands 2 : the start zone is full of ice, very light colors, i thought it would flicker but no.
- Skyrim : no flicker there, but i only played through the tutorial (i stopped once i got inside the castle after the dragon's attack). I know this game makes this screen flicker, but the images i saw were far later in the game. Could anyone that has the bug on skyrim confirm to me that the tutorial reproduces this problem ?
- Warframe : No flicker there too, though the game offers some very bright colors from time to time.

I contacted benq in my country an am awaiting for their answer, because excepted from the google earth and origin problem, the screen is flawless. Image quality is great, i got no dead pixel at all. A slight banding zone at the left edge of the screen but i can't see it in a normal use.

One thing to note : When i received the screen, i was at work and i work on an Imac. I tested the google earth problem with the screen connected to the mac (Mini displayport to DVI cable) and the screen flickered. But once i switched AMA to off, i couldn't get any flicker at all.

Once i got to my house, i tested it on my PC. This time, even with AMA off, i got flickers, on the same zones. I'm connected with a display port cable on the PC. Dunno if it's the mac or the DVI that made the difference, but there is one.

This reminds that I am using HDMI, since included display port cable is so fucking short and is stupidly on the right, do they not know a large percentage of people have their PC on the left side?

Does the connection helps when it come to flickering? It might, but I have no way of testing.

This reminds that I am using HDMI, since included display port cable is so fucking short and is stupidly on the right, do they not know a large percentage of people have their PC on the left side?

Does the connection helps when it come to flickering? It might, but I have no way of testing.

Isn't HDMI limited to 30hz when using a 2560*1440 resolution on this screen ?

Also, i'll test the screen with a DVI connection when i get home, so we'll know if it's DVI or The Mac OS that made the difference.

I have now experienced full panel flickering frequently on other websites as well (try EA's Origin Portal).

Wow that's ridiculous, thanks for pointing out that site (will be easy for the shop I bought from to test for themsevles). I'll finally RMA this thing now I've got another large screen.

As mentioned earlier, I have october build BL3200PT. Still no problems after 3 weeks of usage.

Looking forward hearing what firmware Benq uses to fix the problem. My display has the same firmware that flickering ones also have. Maybe there is a separate chip for panel firmware and that info is not shown in the service menu?

I ordered the BenQ BL3200PT today
Please help me with 2 questions, guys :
1 - Should i use the Display port cable, instead HDMI / DVI ?
2 - Would i be able to use my external HDD ( USB 3.0 ) on the monitor USB ports ?
Thank you

Isn't HDMI limited to 30hz when using a 2560*1440 resolution on this screen ?

Also, i'll test the screen with a DVI connection when i get home, so we'll know if it's DVI or The Mac OS that made the difference.

Oh boy, this rumor again, ever since 1.3 HDMI can do 2560*1600 @60hz

I use these Monitors for Photoshop/ 3D Modeling/Rendering work mostly. I expected a professional monitor that could improve my workflow not detract from it with flashing/ vertical bands.

Can someone who sent their monitor for firmware update comment on
speed of the whole process and weather or not Benq did any physical damage to monitor in the process.
The only place (of the ones i use most of the time) i encounter flickering was Surveillance Station on Synology (while switching tabs).

Can someone who sent their monitor for firmware update comment on
speed of the whole process and weather or not Benq did any physical damage to monitor in the process.
The only place (of the ones i use most of the time) i encounter flickering was Surveillance Station on Synology (while switching tabs).

I just started a RMA with benQ as my screen was experiencing flickering (with origin and google earth, couldn't get it in skyrim).

So far, it's been nearly perfect. They responded quickly, seem aware of the problem and need my screen back.

I'm in the sending process now, i'll post further updates as the process goes on.

NB : keep in mind that i'm in europe, so support experience could be different from the rest of the world.

What's the advantage, over HDMI / DVI ?
Thank you

None, for a 1440p 60hz monitor that doesn't support either G sync or free sync there is no advantage at all.

HDMI is good if you want to you the speakers, but I really wouldn't, it's bad, it's likely missing everything below 150hz to start with...

BTW this is assuming it support dual link DVI, which it should, I never checked.

Hi MrX e.a.
I am in the Tech Retail industry in Europe since 1992 (LOL) -- maybe I should have chosen a different path ;)) Wont comment on details, policies of RMA's, commercial motivations behind these things -- and wont comment on Retailer behavior. I am here just as a consumer - sharing on this forum.
BenQ just had the replacement monitor delivered -- picked up the faulty flickering one. The new one is a November built. Will check it out this evening if time allows and let you guys know.

hi to all, monitor arrived and connect to my mac mini: AWESOME! but now i've another problem: VOLUME!

i've connected my 2.1 to the headphone connector and even with volume of the monitor and itunes at the max, sound is very low! if i disconnect the jack of the 2.1 and connect it to my macbook air it sound very high!!

uh, not good.

meaning, you are going to rma it again?

do they pay for shipping or you have to ship it at your own cost?

So i tested yesterday the Acer B326HULymiidphz, thought maybe there is a new charge, but it has the same problem like the Benq BL3200PT. Extrem Flicker and Flash problem, because you cannot disable the overdrive. On the Benq 32" you have some options to reduce it. I made also videos.

Acer B326HULymiidphz Flicker Flash Problem

Link 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btVu8nb1fIA

Link 2: http://youtu.be/DkjyVfWfvdk

That's no surprise, the culprit for the flashing problem isn't benQ here, it's AUO who made the lcd panel.

The samsung variant (S32D850), which uses the same lcd panel also has the problem.

I also read in several reviews that the acer versions has reverse ghosting problems due to its overdrive which you can't disable. So far, the benQ seems the better one with this lcd panel.

@Viridian

I had the Benq and i also made the videos from the problem. I bought the Acer because no one really adressed the problem, so my hope was Acer got another charge of panels from AUO. Also the problem is not new. But as always - its looks like - sell the product and hope for no returns. :)

@Viridian

I had the Benq and i also made the videos from the problem. I bought the Acer because no one really adressed the problem, so my hope was Acer got another charge of panels from AUO. Also the problem is not new. But as always - its looks like - sell the product and hope for no returns. :)

You could have some luck and get a panel that wasn't built between may and september, sure :) But it seems like all of the panels that were made in that timelapse are "broken"

Yeah, they all have the same behavior, be it samsung, benQ or acer ... :mad: I can understand for those who already had been bought, as a recall costs a lot of money. But for the others left on the shelves and left to being sold with this flaw ... that's clearly not professional :mad:

Guys -- just to let you know I just installed the November Built BL3200PT that got as an exchange yesterday. CHecked GE, Origin etc -- flicker is gone! Thank you BenQ for resolving this issue so quickly -- super happy with this massive monitor

Guys -- just to let you know I just installed the November Built BL3200PT that got as an exchange yesterday. CHecked GE, Origin etc -- flicker is gone! Thank you BenQ for resolving this issue so quickly -- super happy with this massive monitor

That's some good news. I hope i'll get a november built (or the flicker fixed anyway they can do it) too once my RMA's been done.

Back