Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

Ah crap, bought a BL3200PT that flickers. The flickering seems to be less frequent than in some of the YouTube videos, but maybe I just haven't played the right games yet. It gets triggered by the Google Maps link posted above, when scrolling around. Additionally, that green/magenta window from Lagom causes serious sideways dark banding -- is that "normal" or have we decided that it's not supposed to do that?
It's quite normal. Plenty of other monitors show the same banding with that pattern, it's not something what will have any impact during normal use.

It's quite normal. Plenty of other monitors show the same banding with that pattern, it's not something what will have any impact during normal use.

I consider Google Earth normal use. I don't think anybody should be buying these monitors until quality control is sorted. The problem may well develop over time as evidenced by the accounts of previous posters.

I've purchased 6 of these now. Four from Amazon, Two from newegg. All of them had vertical banding with manufacturing dates of July, August and September. This is still very much a problem. I called up benQ and they are looking to fix it.

Beware of neweggs 15% restocking fee's.....

I've purchased 6 of these now. Four from Amazon, Two from newegg. All of them had vertical banding with manufacturing dates of July, August and September. This is still very much a problem. I called up benQ and they are looking to fix it.

Beware of neweggs 15% restocking fee's.....

I only buy monitors when there is a free return policy with no restocking fee. For Newegg, this is "Iron Egg Guarantee" and was under effect when I bought mine. I was refunded the full price and wasn't charged a fee so kudos to Newegg.

I consider Google Earth normal use. I don't think anybody should be buying these monitors until quality control is sorted. The problem may well develop over time as evidenced by the accounts of previous posters.
I was referring to the banding on the green/magenta test page. That happens on lots of monitors and is not something that occurs in any circumstance other than showing a 1-pixel crosshatch pattern.

I'm hearing that this flickering issue doesn't happen with the DVi-D interface. Can anyone confirm that?

I got a replacement yesterday. The flickering is still there but not as bad compared the first one. I'm still considering returning or keeping it. I can't see it in Skyrim or Arma but it's there in Origin when switching between tabs and Google Earth (shaksgam). I think because the defect is still there it will probably better to just send it back. The input used hasn't mattered. Any input?

This is how the GreenMagenta test looks like on my Philips BDM4065UC:

6RmXvX1.jpg

It flickers also when I move it around.

It happens with this image too (when I open the link and click on the image to zoom in):

Thats another type of flicker, they are talking about the white flashing on certain images (Arma3, Google maps..)
This is only a problem with some of the M320DVN01.0 panels, not encountered anywhere else. (afaik)

By "this" you mean the white flashing? Are there different panels used in the BL3200PT?

Not sure yet. Happens on multiple panels models. All the confirmed panels I've encountered so far are made by AUO, and are either TN or VA. Not sure if IPS is immune.

Are people here keeping the BenQ with the flickering or have you sent it back? The replacement I got isn't as bad as the first one. That's why I'm considering whether or not to send it back.

Are people here keeping the BenQ with the flickering or have you sent it back? The replacement I got isn't as bad as the first one. That's why I'm considering whether or not to send it back.

If it has a problem, don't keep it, send it back. It is the only way manufacturers will improve their quality control. Furthermore it could get worse over time....

Yeah I'm edging towards sending it back but don't know what would be a good alternative. I don't think there is anything else at 32 inch.

With the replacement I don't have that issue with the Green Magenta like the Philips example. I only have the flickering issue at 1440p in the programs mentioned.

Last edited:
Did someone here upgraded from some 8 bit panel / A-MVA / to this BenQ model ?
Is there a difference between 8 bit and 10 bit / colors ?
Thank you

Did someone here upgraded from some 8 bit panel / A-MVA / to this BenQ model ?
Is there a difference between 8 bit and 10 bit / colors ?
Thank you

There won't be any difference in color reproduction outside of grayscale banding, which won't matter for any non-professional work. The most you'll notice is difference in sRGB gamut coverage; assuming someone is coming up from an 8-bit A-MVA panel, they're probably using one of the many 1080p VA displays which cover less of the sRGB space.

The BenQ is not a true 10-bit panel but 8-bit + Hi-FRC
Also, some of the 8-bit cover sRGB quite well, at least without significant undercoverage
gamut.jpg
gamut.jpg

I ran tests on the XB24, greyscale (lagom) is flawless, eizo banding tests show some banding in the darkest parts of colors and yellow/green has minor visible banding in the brighter parts, the rest is good

wait..is it really 8bit+FRC or 10-bit after all?
you already had that discussion on page 8..
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1803982&page=8
the information available online is contradictory

edit: I read the AUO datasheet of M270DAN01.1 (the panel used in BL2710PT, GW2765HT) and it says exactly the same as the M320DVN01.0 datasheet.
"support for 1.07B colors (RGB 10-bits)" and both make no mention of FRC but everybody knows that the BL2710PT is a 8-bit+FRC monitor.
so this omission should in no ways to be interpreted as evidence that the BL3200PT is a 10-bit panel.

@greyx undercoverage cuts off colors, too much coverage causes oversaturation
perceived color fidelity is specified in deltaE, a different kind of measurement

Last edited:
BenQ has had me send my monitors in. They insist they have a firmware update that fixes the vertical banding. I'll let you know how it works out when i get them back. I've been through 6 already with 3 different manufacturing months. All had banding on the gray scale.

BenQ has had me send my monitors in. They insist they have a firmware update that fixes the vertical banding. I'll let you know how it works out when i get them back. I've been through 6 already with 3 different manufacturing months. All had banding on the gray scale.

I haven't experienced the flickering, but I'd rather that be fixed (assuming it's not an inherent trait of the panel) than the vertical banding which isn't noticeable most of the time and isn't a significant problem when it is.

Regardless, if they can eliminate the banding then that's better than nothing. Let us know how things turn out.

How can a firmware update fix banding unless every unit has it at the same place and at the same strength?

Wouldn't you need a custom firmware for every unit or somekind of adjustable setting?

How can a firmware update fix banding unless every unit has it at the same place and at the same strength?

Wouldn't you need a custom firmware for every unit or somekind of adjustable setting?

I was wondering the same thing. I assumed that it was a characteristic of this particular panel and not something that could be fixed by firmware, but we'll see.

My guess is that panel manufacturer releases panel, specs how that panel can be used/tuned in different modes + some base firmware for TCONs to drive it, which monitor manufacturers then can work on (eg. to expose different options in user UI / use different overscan settings / etc). Fact that most monitor vendors do not release user changeable firmwares instead at most exchanging with next revision models with updated firmwares (if they acknowledge and bother to fix issue at all) doesn't mean that there aren't such firmwares used.

I just got this display. Is there a test picture that I could use to test if this also flickers? I have tried Google maps but was unable to make the picture flicker. The GreenMagenta page causes screen wide raster effect if viewed in a small window.

This unit is manufactured on october and has firmware V02/20140324. Is this fw also used with units made in september and earlier? I noticed that TFT Central's review unit had V01 fw.

I just got this display. Is there a test picture that I could use to test if this also flickers? I have tried Google maps but was unable to make the picture flicker. The GreenMagenta page causes screen wide raster effect if viewed in a small window.

This unit is manufactured on october and has firmware V02/20140324. Is this fw also used with units made in september and earlier? I noticed that TFT Central's review unit had V01 fw.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCRq2pbUr8o

Resize the green magenta page until the raster effect disappears. The flashing occurs when the raster effect disappears and reappears.

There are many different ways to make it flash posted earlier in the thread such as playing a game with lots of brightness, ex: Skyrim during the day.

Yes, I had that same firmware version as did many others and it still flickers.

Did you try this Google Maps location?

Resize the green magenta page until the raster effect disappears. The flashing occurs when the raster effect disappears and reappears.

There are many different ways to make it flash posted earlier in the thread such as playing a game with lots of brightness, ex: Skyrim during the day.

Yes, I had that same firmware version as did many others and it still flickers.

Did you try this Google Maps location?

Yes, I see that effect with the GreenMagenta page but I'd like to find/download a normal picture that shows this. I don't play games (using just Intel Graphics...) so I can't test with those but is there a screencapture that I could use to test?

I don't see any flashing problems with that Google maps link. Or should I use Google Earth to view it? I'm now using just Firefox browser.

Yes, I see that effect with the GreenMagenta page but I'd like to find/download a normal picture that shows this. I don't play games (using just Intel Graphics...) so I can't test with those but is there a screencapture that I could use to test?

I don't see any flashing problems with that Google maps link. Or should I use Google Earth to view it? I'm now using just Firefox browser.

Nope it's maps that does it, not earth.

Dude if you don't game, it may be worth keeping. I watched a couple different movies and TV eps in the time I had the display too, and never saw it flicker.

The only other test was the ARMA3 screenshot. I remember the testing method was: Make it full screen, then zoom in twice, then drag it around. I can't seem to find it right now though. I searched the thread for imgur and ARMA3 real quick, but didn't get the result.

Nope it's maps that does it, not earth.

Dude if you don't game, it may be worth keeping. I watched a couple different movies and TV eps in the time I had the display too, and never saw it flicker.

The only other test was the ARMA3 screenshot. I remember the testing method was: Make it full screen, then zoom in twice, then drag it around. I can't seem to find it right now though. I searched the thread for imgur and ARMA3 real quick, but didn't get the result.

I dont know why nobody read the f.. manual ... guys follow the
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCRq2pbUr8o

The issue isn't related to overdrive, it's related to sharpness filtering.

I tried many different adjustments, including overdrive off and cranking brightness/contrast as many others suggested, but only putting sharpness at the lowest setting stops it completely.

This also removes the raster effect entirely.

Not only watch ... read it .. its there. Its my video and DESCRIPTION ....!!!

Maybe the Benq support was also not really interested in help .... its hard to live. :) Bit offtopic .. i have a new problem LG 34um95. :)

Back