Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

Mine is quiet. I guess it depends a lot on luck. Though then again it was always true, other brands included.

For mine I found that I needed to download the test images and open them that way. It never worked right in the browser. Also I had to adjust the gamma through Nvidia control settings. For some reason adjusting the gamma through the monitors OSD made no visible difference.

Oh thanks! So it's not mine alone with the gamma issue. I think a setting of "4" gives a better *sharpness* and that's what I'm keeping.
I believe we have a monitor from the same batch. Do you have other issues? I have yet to find a way to test the screen flickering, as I don't play any of the games where it happened.

Does the Benq BL3200PT actually have a noisy power supply like some of the posters suggest? I think someone posted a video earlier of his Benq making clicking sounds.

Not mine, the only thing I hear is the fans of the cpu cooler (i have an open air case).
Another thing to charge to poor QC I suppose.

Oh thanks! So it's not mine alone with the gamma issue. I think a setting of "4" gives a better *sharpness* and that's what I'm keeping.

Correction:
Redoing the Lagom test I noticed that the OSD gamma does make a difference in the blackness test and that 1 attains best results. So there it goes before software intervention, which is needed to fix the REAL gamma closer to 2.2 (it is like 2.6 right now). I generally like 2.3-2.4, we shall see.

OK, I finished my empiric calibration. Videocard is a geforce GTX970 connected using the displayport cable coming with the monitor. These are my settings:

Picture Mode: Custom
Brightness: 40 (35 in the evening)
Gamma: 1 (anything else reduces black definition, see previous post)
Contrast: 52 (this is important as it AFFECTS color balance, even while it shouldn't. This value makes the greys more neutral than the default 50)
Color temperature: User define: R: 97 G: 92 B:100. This is way different from for instance TTF central settings, as they were from an earlier batch. Variance is quite high with this panel and these monitors, unfortunately.
Everything else is at default.

Then from nvidia control panel: gamma 1.20, digital vibrance 60%. Using gamma instead of brightness has a big plus, including saving power.

My resulting Gamma should be around 2.3 according to the Langom test (image saved and opened in windows picture viewer - it wouldnt work in any other way). Colors are good to me, the whites are white and the greys are grey without a brownish (too low color temp) or bluish hue.

I also used Eizo monitor test software to check for dead pixels and banding in fullscreen, which gladly I didn't find. This monitor is a keeper.

Edit: at night I also enable -30% low blue light when i'm reading or writing a lot, this compensate the too cold settings which are for my bright room.

Last edited:
In my case it did. 2 of them with same annoyance. Samsung version is quiet.

Is this like a clicking sound? A humming sound? Or a whining sound. Trying to figure out if acoustic foam attached to the back of the monitor will help or if its quite a loud noise. Also at what distance is it audible at? 1 ft? 2ft? 3ft? Thanks alot!

Is there a summary of differences between Samsung, Acer and BenQ monitors that use this exact panel? Which one has the best response time and input lag?

Is there a summary of differences between Samsung, Acer and BenQ monitors that use this exact panel? Which one has the best response time and input lag?

I dont know about the Acer, but the BenQ has about 5ms less input lag.

BTW: I do notice some trailing when scrolling down some forums with black text on a light background, using vbulletin. I think may be ghosting, or is just the (lack of) speed of this panel.

I ordered one Thursday and its should be here monday if it doesnt get delayed again.

This is my first build/first higher end monitor.
Few Questions

Can i use the monitor straight out of the box? Or whats all the calibration people are talking about?
Also i dont have the operating system installed yet, can i still use the monitor?
What cables do i use?

Can i use the monitor straight out of the box? Or whats all the calibration people are talking about?

Yes, of course you can. Put standard mode, color temperature = normal and Gamma = 1 or 2 and you should be fine. Then reduce the brightness to the level that suits your room.
I'm tweaking because I like to not because I have to :)

Also i dont have the operating system installed yet, can i still use the monitor?

Like you were using your previous monitor. The only nitpick is to turn on the monitor BEFORE the PC or it may not detect it.

What cables do i use?

You should use dual-link DVI-D or displayport.

PS: please note the manufacturing date of your monitor from the back sticker before mounting it, it may help with the settings and to restrict certain defects to only certain batches.

The colors aren't off too much from the factory. With an i1 display pro I just had to set it to gamma 2, turn the green down a bit and the red down a notch and that's about it. Color didn't change much after calibration. Don't even touch the contrast setting.

it's encouraging that this matches my empiric findings. August panel?

Few people on the forum reported no issue at their side. It might just be a particular batch of panel.

Just one consideration: most people with a "perfect" monitor will not search for it on forums like this one, unless they already did their homework before purchase (i.e. choosing between different models, and then reporting their findings, like I did).
Therefore the real % of defective panels is much lower than it seems here.

FWIW I have a manufacture date of July and haven't been able to replicate the flickering in any of the tests, including hours of battlefield.

Hi! I am looking for monitor for web design, 3d graphics, some simple polygraphy (like magazine advertising, flyers, etc... I do not need AdobeRGB) and photo editing for myself. I want big working area with not too small pixel size, so 2560*1440 at 32" is my choice.

Is this benq good for such work? Or black crush effect is still too high, even on new AMVA?

@A.Shaferov-- The colors, black level, and contrast on the BenQ are great; although there is a bit of black crush, it's much less noticeable than the older VA panels you might have seen. The only real adjustment needed out-of-box for sRGB mode is to lower the gamma to 1 or 2 and lower the brightness to a comfortable level. IPS panels have somewhat better viewing angles, but not by much, and the VA panel certainly does much better than TN panels.

By all means, do a more careful calibration from there in user mode if you like.

@Chazzy-- nope, or at least not yet. I've only seen the flashing/blurring affect twice over four months. If it stays that way and doesn't happen more often, I probably won't bother to RMA the display. If I notice it happening more frequently, well, that would change my mind.

FWIW I have a manufacture date of July and haven't been able to replicate the flickering in any of the tests, including hours of battlefield.

Unfortunately a bit more testing revealed flickering when looking down at Skyrim foliage. Generally okay but it may be worse in other applications.

Did anyone here upgraded from another VA panel, to this BenQ model ?
I want to get this monitor, i have now BenQ GW2760HS
Do you think that BL3200PT has better ( more natural ) colors than GW2760HS, because of color gamut 100 % vs 72% NTSC ?

Are dark shades (like 1 - 5 from 0-255) clearly distinguishable from each other and black background when viewing 90 degrees to the screen?
Please try test like this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Thanks!

I did that test.
Adjusting the gamma with windows or nvidia control panel, also the first square is clearly visible. Without that it's OK from the second one only. NB: your specific unit may vary.

Yes, dark shades all the way down to 0x010101 RGB is distinguishable from pure black, even at extreme angles, but I've also spent some time calibrating against the lagom site.
Out-of-box, the gamma is too high and IIRC I couldn't distinguish the darkest grey square from black.

BTW, you might want to wander back in this thread; when the monitors were first being shipped, a bunch of folks took pictures and such. For example:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040999666&highlight=#post1040999666

That's not taken at exactly 90 degree angle, but I tried... :cool:

You should use dual-link DVI-D or displayport.

PS: please note the manufacturing date of your monitor from the back sticker before mounting it, it may help with the settings and to restrict certain defects to only certain batches.

Will both give me sound? And also didnt find the date.

Will both give me sound? And also didnt find the date.

You mean audio through displayport or DVI cable? The first one yes, the second i'm not sure since the display has DVI-D dual link port not DVI-I. I would go with displayport in this case.

I dont use the monitor speakers, I use headphones or a pair of Tannoy monitors.

OK, I finished my empiric calibration. Videocard is a geforce GTX970 connected using the displayport cable coming with the monitor. These are my settings:

Picture Mode: Custom
Brightness: 40 (35 in the evening)
Gamma: 1 (anything else reduces black definition, see previous post)
Contrast: 52 (this is important as it AFFECTS color balance, even while it shouldn't. This value makes the greys more neutral than the default 50)
Color temperature: User define: R: 97 G: 92 B:100. This is way different from for instance TTF central settings, as they were from an earlier batch. Variance is quite high with this panel and these monitors, unfortunately.

Then from nvidia control panel: gamma 1.20, digital vibrance 60%. Using gamma instead of brightness has a big plus, including saving power.

My resulting Gamma should be around 2.3 according to the Langom test (image saved and opened in windows picture viewer - it wouldnt work in any other way). Colors are good to me, the whites are white and the greys are grey without a brownish (too low color temp) or bluish hue.

I also used Eizo monitor test software to check for dead pixels and banding in fullscreen, which gladly I didn't find. This monitor is a keeper.

Edit: at night I also enable -30% low blue light when i'm reading or writing a lot, this compensate the too cold settings which are for my bright room.

Nice settings! Looks great for me! Thank you very much

Just got my 3200PT yesterday.

Initial thoughts:

1. VA is much better than I thought it would be - blacks are really black. The AG coating is not aggressive and is perfect IMO.

2. Out of the box, the brightness was jacked to the moon. I dialed it down to 45 and with the remaining light in my office, it's now at an acceptable level. I also switched Gamma from 3 to 1.
Left everything else alone.

3. Netflix is a treat.

4. Gaming: Titanfall is a very immersive experience with a 32" panel. I also played some MP BF4. My initial feeling is that there was a hint of lag, but it could also be me adjusting to the new panel size. I have my XL2420TX to fall back on in case I have trouble with twitch-based gameplay. This is a tiny issue and one that I may be able to adjust to because really, the color and immersive gameplay outweighs 120hz TN IMO.

Looking ahead, I want to try Skyrim, Thief, and Bioshock.

No dead pixels, that I've noticed, and panel uniformity seems to be spot-on.

/one happy customer.

If anyone's on the fence about buying one, please let me know. If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

Last edited:
Thats sweet. I got mine 2 months ago..but I do miss my IPS panel. I might go with a 4k IPS when it becomes avail.

Just got mine from Amazon today. September manufacturing date. Everything about this monitor is awesome.... Except that i got the flashing problem :(

Playing Battlefield 4, Arma 3, or messing with Google satellite maps thing turns my monitor into a freaking disco extravaganza.

One thing that I have noticed through my testing is that turning down the AMA (advanced motion setting) to the lowest option greatly reduces the flashing problem (but does not eliminate it completely). Seems the problem is somehow related to this portion of the hardware.

I'm gonna do some more testing with different refresh rates, inputs, etc. to see if i can find a work around but otherwise i'm gonna return it. It's a shame because besides that problem the monitor is perfect.

It looks like we have another 32" VA panel on the market, but it's $200 less than the others, which makes me wonder if HP got a good deal on that bad batch of panels BenQ support reportedly mentioned in a message to someone who was experiencing the light flashes. :D

HP Envy 32" and it's only $449.99. What the..?

Thoughts? (I didn't want to post a link since this is my very first post here and I figured it might look shady. Nevertheless, it's easily found via Google)

So just an update. Was not able to find a setting or input that eliminated the flashing problem on my monitor. Tried DVI and Displayport, messed around with all the settings and refresh rates etc. all to no avail. Guess i'm going to have to return it. Really bummed because its an otherwise great monitor :(

Here's a photo i took of the flashing effect i am getting. It's very noticeable under certain circumstances. A total deal breaker for me.
6PWTPgy.jpg

Left is normal and right is mid flash.

Full Resolution.

Ironically, even scrolling across this photo of the effect is causing my screen to flash right now!

Just got my 3200PT yesterday.

Looking ahead, I want to try Skyrim, Thief, and Bioshock.

Any dark game like Thief, Alien Isolation or Evil Within is like a night & day upgrade compared to TN and IPS. Instead of shadow details bathing in backlight, they pop out. A good excuse to replay games to see them in a new way.

:(((
So they didnt sort it out yet.

Evidently not. September manufacturing date is the newest one i have heard of and yet it still has the flashing bug really bad.

Honestly I couldn't care less about arma 3 or battlefield; I'm just worried about games that haven't even come out yet. Will the bug show up in dragon age inquisition? What about the witcher 3? It's just too much of a risk to keep it imo.

Last edited:
Evidently not. September manufacturing date is the newest one i have heard of and yet it still has the flashing bug really bad.

Honestly I couldn't care less about arma 3 or battlefield; I'm just worried about games that haven't even come out yet. Will the bug show up in dragon age inquisition? What about the witcher 3? It's just too much of a risk to keep it imo.

I agree. Maybe you wanna try a RMA? IIRC BenQ said they can fix the issue. Or return and wait for a newer batch.

Hi,

i have also the 2014-09 Monitor-Version and i found also the flickering problem in Google Maps with my GTX 660ti.

If i use my Laptop (Intel HD3000) with HDMI 2560x1440 and 30Hz its not there.

edit: with the picture from #1231 i have also flickering in 1080p and 1440. with normal pictures from my DSLRs no flickering.

Someone asked for the picture quality like old S-PVA form Eizo, i have one, its near the same, very impressive, without flaws. Also i have for main work Fujitsu P27T-7 IPS and i had for 2 days a Benq GW2765HT. The Benq GW2765HT its not in the same liga from build quality, bleeding and IPS-Glow, i sent it back.

So my hope was the Benq BL3200PT for my 2nd appartment and my laptop use, but the flickering is really worse. Two different Benq's in one week with several problems.. argh. Thanks to the thread and the forum.

Last edited:
I agree. Maybe you wanna try a RMA? IIRC BenQ said they can fix the issue. Or return and wait for a newer batch.

I'm highly skeptical that this is a problem that can be fixed by an RMA. The fact that this bug is confirmed to have shown up in both the Samsung and Benq monitors using the same panel seems to suggest that this problem is somehow deeply rooted in the panel hardware and is therefore unlikely to have a simple fix.

I'm also highly skeptical of Benq's statement that only a small percentage of monitors are having this problem. One guy on this forum got three defective panels in a row (from two different brands)! I'm guessing that this is either an inherent flaw of the panel or of the VA technology behind it. Either way I'm gonna look elsewhere and just get my money back. :(

Is screen flickering gpu related?

I dont notice any the map and im using integrated graphics

I'm guessing that this is either an inherent flaw of the panel or of the VA technology behind it.
There's nothing inherently wrong with the technology, older BL3200PTs like mine don't show any of the flickering/flashing issues of current ones. AU Optronics have obviously had a run of faulty panels that their QA system didn't pick up on, which is why Samsung and Acer models using the same panel are affected.

They'll get it sorted out (probably already have done) but it'll take a couple of months for old stock to get moved and the new fixed monitors to reach retail.

Last edited:
Back