Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

For cases like these imho it's worth writing extensive FAQ in OP/sticky header post and all askers refer to it.

What do i need to get my PC to see they usb connectors on my monitor? I have it connected with the display por.t.

what do people actually do with USB connectors on a monitor? if the cable is needed, that means the cable is next to the user and you could just connect the damn thing to the cable. I fear missing the point here but have thought about this for past 10 years.

it would be cool if it didnt need a usb cable. that would make sense in some design

Plug in the USB cable?

Hey Astral Abyss, it looks like you've had the Benq BL3200PT and the Acer XB280HK. These are the two monitors I'm deciding on. I'll only be using it for gaming for a few months, then it will become a side monitor.

Which do you prefer?

Thanks

Hey Astral Abyss, it looks like you've had the Benq BL3200PT and the Acer XB280HK. These are the two monitors I'm deciding on. I'll only be using it for gaming for a few months, then it will become a side monitor.

Which do you prefer?

Thanks

XB280, no contest, for gaming. It's literally miles ahead on my preference list. 4k gaming is amazing if you have the horsepower to run it properly and even then, g-sync fills in any dips in performance.

If you're not going to game on it much, well, the BL3200 has more real estate and you don't have the TN contrast shift if it's off-angle... 32" is hard to fit on a desk with another monitor though. I currently have my XB280 sitting next to my XB270. They fit easily next to each other on a small desk with just a slight V angle. There's no way I could do that if I still had a BL3200. Just something to think about... unless you mount it on an arm or something so you can swing it out of the way.

XB280, no contest, for gaming. It's literally miles ahead on my preference list. 4k gaming is amazing if you have the horsepower to run it properly and even then, g-sync fills in any dips in performance.

If you're not going to game on it much, well, the BL3200 has more real estate and you don't have the TN contrast shift if it's off-angle... 32" is hard to fit on a desk with another monitor though. I currently have my XB280 sitting next to my XB270. They fit easily next to each other on a small desk with just a slight V angle. There's no way I could do that if I still had a BL3200. Just something to think about... unless you mount it on an arm or something so you can swing it out of the way.

Yeah I have a Innovative 7500 Arm, that's mounted on a second desk to my left. Should be completely out of the way.

what do people actually do with USB connectors on a monitor? if the cable is needed, that means the cable is next to the user and you could just connect the damn thing to the cable. I fear missing the point here but have thought about this for past 10 years.
I use the monitor's hub for my wireless mouse receiver, my USB sticks, my external hard drives and my PC gamepad. I could use the ports of my computer case instead, but the monitor ports are closer and therefore more convenient.

I do seem to have a weird problem with my monitor's USB hub, though. Ever since having the BenQ BL3200PT, my computer occasionally crashes with a STOP 0x0000009F DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE error. I initially didn't link it to the monitor, but after a crash dump analysis with WinDbg, it seems nusb3hub.sys is the culprit. This is my motherboard's USB 3.0 controller driver and it looks like it doesn't handle the monitor's USB hub very well. At least, that's what I think, because the computer crashes only began after the monitor's USB hub was connected. I disabled all USB 3.0 power management functions now in an attempt to fix the issue. So far, so good, but if the crashes return, I'll have to disconnect the hub entirely.

Other people experienced crashes that are possibly related to the monitor's USB hub?

I always used usb ports in monitors for just one thing - for charging devices with usb chargers :), so don't know of possible issues in using it's hub. I'd prefer options of always buying wished monitor w/o any usb hubs/audio ports/speakers/card readers for $50 less or with $50 better panel for same price, but probably that won't ever happen, as manufacturers skip putting them only in very cheapest displays i wouldn't ever buy due too bad monitor main function, yet put all those extras (except speakers) in all the premium displays :(

I am about to make the purchase of this monitor.
One question, does anyone know if HDMI mode on this monitor goes to sleep mode after I shutdown my PC?(or diconnect the cable) I ask this because I know some of the BenQ monitors like v2400w does not have sleep mode when using under HDMI mode. BenQ seems to treat some model's HDMI mode as TV mode, so it does not have sleep mode, instead it displays a all blue screen.
Thanks.

[X]eltic;1041185842 said:
I use the monitor's hub for my wireless mouse receiver, my USB sticks, my external hard drives and my PC gamepad. I could use the ports of my computer case instead, but the monitor ports are closer and therefore more convenient.

I do seem to have a weird problem with my monitor's USB hub, though. Ever since having the BenQ BL3200PT, my computer occasionally crashes with a STOP 0x0000009F DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE error.

Other people experienced crashes that are possibly related to the monitor's USB hub?

Damn! I've had three such crashes sofar and have been trying to figure out what caused them, I came up with possible shortcircuits in my keyboard (google yields some funny results) and other driver errors, but I lack the skills to properly analyse this type of errors. But your post suddenly makes this all clear!

I also use the BenQ's USB for my wireless mouse. It doesn't work properly when plugged into the back ports of the PC so the side USB ports of the monitor are a godsent.

This is not good news, I'd like to keep using the monitor's hub. But now at least I can experiment (since I don't really need USB3 speeds atm, I could try hooking it to the USB2 port of the PC and see if that makes a difference.)

Please keep posting other information on this, as will I!

it would be cool if it didnt need a usb cable. that would make sense in some design

Some people use them as a "docking station" for laptops.
Connect one usb to the laptop, and all other devices stay permanently attached to the monitor.

For stationary computers i've never used them either,

Damn! I've had three such crashes sofar and have been trying to figure out what caused them, I came up with possible shortcircuits in my keyboard (google yields some funny results) and other driver errors, but I lack the skills to properly analyse this type of errors. But your post suddenly makes this all clear!

I also use the BenQ's USB for my wireless mouse. It doesn't work properly when plugged into the back ports of the PC so the side USB ports of the monitor are a godsent.

This is not good news, I'd like to keep using the monitor's hub. But now at least I can experiment (since I don't really need USB3 speeds atm, I could try hooking it to the USB2 port of the PC and see if that makes a difference.)

Please keep posting other information on this, as will I!
Yeah, it is very strange. I'm not 100 percent positive if the monitor's USB hub is the cause, but it sure looks like it, since my computer crashes only began after I bought the BenQ BL3200PT. Together with the fact that nusb3hub.sys is involved, it seems there's a weird compatibility issue between my USB 3.0 controller and the monitor's USB 3.0 hub. Maybe that's your problem as well. To investigate this, you have to download WinDbg and analyze the memory dump that's written to your hard drive after a BSOD. Here's a step by step guide how to do this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Analyze-a-BSOD-Crash-Dump/

If you also have a problem with your USB controller, I suggest you update your controller driver to the latest version. If possible, update the firmware of your USB controller too. I have a NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller (D720200F) here, which is quite common and found on many motherboards. Sadly though, even with the latest driver and latest firmware, the crashes persisted for me. Maybe you have more luck. I disabled all USB power management functions now, because the stop error indicates power management is involved, and at least for now, I haven't experienced any crashes. Fingers crossed. If this also doesn't work, I'll disable my motherboard's USB 3.0 controller entirely. I will then buy a different USB 3.0 controller instead. These cost just a few bucks as a PCIe card.

For some reason my monitor's usb ports arent working. I plugged in 4 different flash drives and none worked or lit up? If there maybe a driver im missing or something?

For some reason my monitor's usb ports arent working. I plugged in 4 different flash drives and none worked or lit up? If there maybe a driver im missing or something?
You did connect the monitor's USB hub to your computer? The DisplayPort cable isn't enough, you have to connect the hub with a seperate cable. If you did, you don't need to download a driver for it in Windows, it should automatically be detected, together with the card reader.

[X]eltic;1041187088 said:
You did connect the monitor's USB hub to your computer? The DisplayPort cable isn't enough, you have to connect the hub with a seperate cable. If you did, you don't need to download a driver for it in Windows, it should automatically be detected, together with the card reader.

Of course...I didn;t... oops

Does anyone know if HDMI mode on this monitor goes to sleep mode after I shutdown my PC?(or diconnect the cable) I ask this because I know some of the BenQ monitors like v2400w does not have sleep mode when using under HDMI mode. BenQ seems to treat some model's HDMI mode as TV mode, so it does not have sleep mode, instead it displays a all blue screen.

[X]eltic;1041186483 said:
...analyze the memory dump that's written to your hard drive after a BSOD. Here's a step by step guide how to do this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Analyze-a-BSOD-Crash-Dump/

If you also have a problem with your USB controller, I suggest you update your controller driver to the latest version. If possible, update the firmware of your USB controller too. I have a NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller (D720200F)....

Same controller here. Thanks for the link, I'll try this once it happens again.

Googling the issue, I found a page on Western Digital, that describes a similar problem. They advise as one solution to disable the powermanagament so their drives never go to sleep. So your solution perhaps will have a good chance of working. I have done the same, we'll see. I don't get these crashes often, once per two weeks or so.

Do none of you get bothered by this type of artifacts? I got mine last month and having trouble getting around this issue. It is not a minor artifact that only occurs with this particular LCD test, it happens a lot in other occasions when the pixels arranged in certain patterns. For example it will happen if you play some console emulators or DOS games with scanline filters turned on, or some older games that renders alpha blending with pixel skipping patterns. (Bugs me a lot when I'm playing those games, entire screen just suddenly flashes)

The fact that the entire screen flashes when switching to the pages like this http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixel/GreenMagenta.html makes me think it is some pretty serious defect with this monitor. First I thought it is my particular unit's problem, but after replaced and tested with two other units, and most people here seem to have the same problem, it looks like this model just has the problem inherently. I've never seen other monitors having this issue, so I don't know why this one does, maybe the issue with its firmware or circuit board or something, no idea...:confused:

Do you guys think this issue should be exposed more to the manufacturer or retailer, so it can maybe get fixed and people can be aware of this before buying it? Or does this seem common to you guys?

holy... the screen does flash! wow

it's noticeable if you look at the tabs in Chrome that flash the same pixel pattern, then reverts back to a blank tab.

don't know if i could have ever spotted that one without your link

True, but I see the screen flashing with that test pattern on two IPS displays and an older TN display as well as on the BenQ. Test patterns which contain sharply contrasting pixel-by-pixel changes are a challenge to anything which is trying to do temporal dithering aka "FRC".

I sent mine back a couple days ago as I cant justify the vertical banding at £500. I actually genuinely miss it already. 1440p @ 32" is very comfortable and the lack of IPS glow makes this monitor much more attractive to me than any of the 27" offerings. The build quality is also very impressive - I always had BenQ in my mind as a more budget brand but I was highly incorrect there.

I really hope AUO phase out the banding problem as the process matures so I can buy another :(

Hi people,

'm new to the forums and need some opinions. I am on my second BenQ bl3200pt monitor from Amazon and it has the same problem as the previous one. In 1440p resolutions there is a white flickering across the screen but only under certain conditions - mountain ranges such as the Himalayas in Google Earth and foliage in Battlefield 3. It seems to be where there is a very light background but with dark textures within (i.e. mountains with the dark valleys between them and rock textures and tree textures in BF3). It is a real shame because the monitor apart from this problem is brilliant - including playing BF3 with no ghosting and at 1440p looks ace.

I have it hooked up to a ASUS gtx 780 which I also tried downclocking in case it is GPU related artifacting. None of this happens in any other resolution.

Since I am on my second one, I am beginning to assume it is a problem within the model.

Here is a youtube clip I did to illustrate the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pRIguTbH7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pRIguTbH7Y

Any thoughts/opinions much appreciated. If anyone has this monitor could they check out the google earth flaw to see if I am just unlucky or there is a problem with this monitor.

Cheers people,

Jeff

I just tried scrolling around the same area on Google Earth that you've shown in your video and there's no flickering at all on my BL3200PT. The picture is nice and solid.

Have you tried connecting it to another PC?

Yes mine is flickering in the same area on Google Earth, but only when zoomed in at that particular distance. It is also flickering for me in Arma 3 if I'm in third person running over light colored ground.

It also flickers as discussed previously on http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixel/GreenMagenta.html when switching from the page. It causes an even stranger artifact when it's in a smaller window, where it completely changes the left and right side of the display outside of the window. It also flickers when the window is moved.

More flickering as well as when switching between the full size inversion tests from this page. It's more noticeable if you watch the taskbar while clicking next. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern

I have a Gigabyte GTX 780, connected through Displayport. Maybe the graphics card is involved? But this does not happen to me with other monitors. What could this be, is it fixable?

Last edited:
I seem to recall that for some older BenQ models, people have reported the same issue, and after disable the flickering-free technology(I know this is funny), the problem went away. Have you tried that?

Last edited:
I've been though all options on the monitor. I can't find way to disable it. I assume that it is not possible.

I seem to recall that for some older BenQ models, people have reported the same issue, and after disable the flickering-free technology(I know this is funny), the problem went away. Have you tried that?

There is no option to disable it on this model. Unless there is some option beyond the menus.

Yes mine is flickering in the same area on Google Maps, but only when zoomed in at that particular distance. It is also flickering for me in Arma 3 if I'm in third person running over light colored ground.

It also flickers as discussed previously on http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixel/GreenMagenta.html when switching from the page. It causes an even stranger artifact when it's in a smaller window, where it completely changes the left and right side of the display outside of the window. It also flickers when the window is moved.

More flickering as well as when switching between the full size inversion tests from this page. It's more noticeable if you watch the taskbar while clicking next. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php#invpattern

I have a Gigabyte GTX 780, connected through Displayport. Maybe the graphics card is involved? But this does not happen to me with other monitors. What could this be, is it fixable?

Thanks for the reply. I just hooked it up to my laptop via HDMI. Same issue. If anything it is worse...

Made another YouTube clip to illustrate problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l9vQOsRU6g

I just tried scrolling around the same area on Google Earth that you've shown in your video and there's no flickering at all on my BL3200PT. The picture is nice and solid.

Have you tried connecting it to another PC?

Cheers for the reply.

Yep see this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l9vQOsRU6g

If yours is absolutely fine I must conclude that I have been unlucky and received two bad panels.

Where did you buy yours from and when did you purchase it?

Thanks again.

For anyones info who is following this thread. Just spoken at length to Amazon. They are going to refund me again (including all postage costs) for the second monitor but will not send out a third one in case it is a problem with the current batch. They have the youtube link and this

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixel/GreenMagenta.html

to test. Dragging this window causes the flickering white across the screen exactly as in Google Earth mountains and BF3 foliage.

They said I will hear back from their technical department within 48 hours. I requested that ideally I would like the next monitor tested before they send it to me.

One thing I can not fault is Amazons customer service so far.

If anyone else has this problem if would be interesting to know. I also sent Amazon a link to this discussion (I presume this does not breach forum rules).

Regards,

Jeff

I sent mine back a couple days ago as I cant justify the vertical banding at £500. I actually genuinely miss it already. 1440p @ 32" is very comfortable and the lack of IPS glow makes this monitor much more attractive to me than any of the 27" offerings. The build quality is also very impressive - I always had BenQ in my mind as a more budget brand but I was highly incorrect there.

I really hope AUO phase out the banding problem as the process matures so I can buy another :(

I found the banding was most noticeable if the majority of the background was grey, but you had other stuff too in different colours.

http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixel/GreenMagenta.html

to test. Dragging this window causes the flickering white across the screen exactly as in Google
Something strange going on here; That page doesn't cause flickering on my BL3200PT (well, the cross-hatch pattern itself flickers when moved, but all LCDs do that. The rest of the screen is fine).

But if I drag the window over to my second monitor (a 30" Samsung 305t+) I do get flickering and strange interference patterns on the Samsung.

I don't think it's because of the flicker free technology. I used a BL2710PT before and it didn't cause any noticeable problem in games for me.

The http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixel/GreenMagenta.html page does some strange things when you make a small window out of it. The whole screen flicker only happened for me on this page when I had a tab or two of the test page open and then switched to a blank tab.

I'd like to see if more people can test this? Try going to the part of Google Earth he had in his video, at the same zoom distance, with it full screen and the highest resolution.

BTW, is there really need to hunt for some obscure bugs that need special methodology only to notice? If those special tests help find/check/notice something that can be seen in common games/common work programs/common website browsing, it's good. But if they show some minor glitches seen only in them will that really be end of world and marking monitor as bad/unusable?

I'm currently using an old 24" Samsung TN (245B), that I have had for about 7 years. I see flickering on all of these tests, but I have literally never noticed this during the past 7 years. I play lots of games (including BF3 and Arma 3) and never noticed it in game.

I have a GTX 670. Anyone have issues using an AMD card?

Something strange going on here; That page doesn't cause flickering on my BL3200PT (well, the cross-hatch pattern itself flickers when moved, but all LCDs do that. The rest of the screen is fine).

But if I drag the window over to my second monitor (a 30" Samsung 305t+) I do get flickering and strange interference patterns on the Samsung.

Must be a dodgy batch from Amazon. I have ordered the 32 inch Samsung equivalent. It is slightly cheaper and will arrive tomorrow. I will test it as per the BenQ and report back. If all is well I might as well keep the Samsung....

I'm currently using an old 24" Samsung TN (245B), that I have had for about 7 years. I see flickering on all of these tests, but I have literally never noticed this during the past 7 years. I play lots of games (including BF3 and Arma 3) and never noticed it in game.

I have a GTX 670. Anyone have issues using an AMD card?

Just to be clear, it is not the flickering within the window but whole screen flickering as a result of moving the window.

BTW, is there really need to hunt for some obscure bugs that need special methodology only to notice? If those special tests help find/check/notice something that can be seen in common games/common work programs/common website browsing, it's good. But if they show some minor glitches seen only in them will that really be end of world and marking monitor as bad/unusable?

Normally I would say no. If it was only something that happened on special tests I wouldn't mind. But the fact that it happens in my favorite game every time I go into third person ruins it for me, and I don't think I could live with that. Shame because it's a beautiful monitor otherwise.

Back