Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

At least a couple of people here have reported that they don't have the banding issue. That is likely because of different extent of banding and different perceptions of it.

Nope, I've tested mine under every colour of the rainbow and what-not and I have zero banding.

Seeing this, the bands of our panels are nothing! ;)

lg-4k-udtv-hands-on-2012-02-450x278.jpg

Color uniformity and brightness level seems very consistent. This BenQ is the first monitor that I've been able to actually calibrate well enough to distinguish both 0/1/2 and 30/31/32 from http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php I can't do that even with an IPS-based Apple 30" cinema display, although to be fair I have lights on at work that make it harder to see the darker shades.

Anyway, mine has almost no blacklight bleeding, even in near-dark conditions. Sure, there is a hint of glow with all black signal compared to it being off entirely, and it does become more noticeable from the sides, but it's nothing like an IPS panel.

A0uGtHc.jpg

On the other hand, I've finally managed to get a decent photo of the vertical banding on mine.
This was taken by using MS Paint to fill an screen-sided area with dark grey (0x282828 RGB, or 40/40/40).
To my eye, it's just barely visible when viewing the monitor in darkness, and can't be seen if ambient light is present.

NAzWmGu.jpg

yeah, if it was just static image, those bands would be a non-issue....the problem (at least for me) starts to become more obvious when playing a game and looking at the sky/fog and panning the camera. my OCD went off the charts immediately :(

yeah, if it was just static image, those bands would be a non-issue....the problem (at least for me) starts to become more obvious when playing a game and looking at the sky/fog and panning the camera. my OCD went off the charts immediately :(

Exactly. If it were only static I wouldn't care for it. It destroys the game perception in movement, especially when you look at the sky. In Skyrim especially. Skyrim is a perfect test for revealing bad monitors - its color palette makes any flaw a display may have surface. Banding, black crush, ghosting, input lag - anything.

Seeing this, the bands of our panels are nothing! ;)
Yes, those kind of stripes I saw on these displays.

Ding ding ding. This is the gamma shift vertical streaks I've been complaining about on the fg2421. To be fair. The picture if the 32" above is very minor compared to the circular blobs that show up on the Eizo unit. They are still roughly vertically oriented and the comment about scrolling on fog being the worst scenario is dead on. It's very very annoying and distracting.

I still wonder what's the cause of these bands. I initially thought it was due to uneven backlighting, but since the Samsung suffers from it too, can we rule that out? After all, it seemingly has a different construction. What's also strange is that the left band seems to be at the same spot all the time. Look at this:

2w680av.jpg

Pictures from three different people. I can confirm I have a darker band at that spot too.

I wish some monitor guru could enlighten this mystery a bit. If we knew the cause, maybe there's a solution. I doubt I'm going to open my monitor at this time, but who knows.

[X]eltic;1040995501 said:
I still wonder what's the cause of these bands. I initially thought it was due to uneven backlighting, but since the Samsung suffers from it too, can we rule that out? After all, it seemingly has a different construction. What's also strange is that the left band seems to be at the same spot all the time. Look at this:

Yes that line was present on both BenQ and Azer that I had for a brief period of time. I was deliberately looking for it and it was there. Along with other lines/stripes.
I think it is the panel artifact, not the coating. Although I am not sure. Also Acer didn't have any AMA control. :eek:

I really hope this things accepts a 2560x1440 @ 75hz signal as stated in the specs, not bothered if it has frame skipping I'm not looking to overclock it but it's ability to display a 75hz signal is required (even if it only outputs a 60hz signal), found one in stock and ordered it.

I tried 75hz - it didn't accept it. No signal. But 65hz did work, didn't try anything in between...

Yes that line was present on both BenQ and Azer that I had for a brief period of time. I was deliberately looking for it and it was there. Along with other lines/stripes.
I think it is the panel artifact, not the coating. Although I am not sure. Also Acer didn't have any AMA control. :eek:

what is AMA control?

is the Acer equal to the Asus for office use?

Hi everyone,
I've been following this thread for a few days, with a view to buying this monitor in the UK.

I have a question though, which hopefully those of you with the monitor itself might help me with. I plan to use this monitor with HDMI limited by a 165 MHz TMDS (essentially, single-link DVI/HDMI). This means that 2560x1440 at 60Hz will be out of reach for me. I was hoping someone could test whether the BenQ would sync at 2560x1440 at 30, 35 or 40Hz instead? (You will probably have to create a custom resolution to get the monitor to run at this resolution/refresh rate).

For those of you wondering why I am asking such a bizarre question; 1440p at <40Hz is a low enough bandwidth to work over single-link DVI/HDMI. I'm limited to this because my laptop only includes a 165 MHz TMDS (as opposed to the 340 MHz one required to run 1440p at 60Hz). I won't just be connecting my laptop to this though, I also have a desktop with dual-link DVI which will run it fine, I'm sure. I just want to know if I'll be able to use my laptop with this monitor as well.

Went through two of these panels and both had terrible banding issues.

I could notice them when surfing. I did not even have to "look" for the bands. They were staring right at me.

Totally unacceptable for a $700 monitor.

I am going to try one more panel. If that has the same issue, I am calling it quits.

Shame, because I like everything else about it.

So basically there are no people WITHOUT the banding issue? Seems time to cancel my order.. Or could I have a lucky one?

So basically there are no people WITHOUT the banding issue? Seems time to cancel my order.. Or could I have a lucky one?

Either I lucked up big time or just don't notice it like everyone else, because I do not see it unless I specifically test for it. I don't see it during normal use.

And I'm pretty darn picky when it comes to monitors. I've exchanged them over a single dead pixel before.

I really hope this things accepts a 2560x1440 @ 75hz signal as stated in the specs, not bothered if it has frame skipping I'm not looking to overclock it but it's ability to display a 75hz signal is required (even if it only outputs a 60hz signal), found one in stock and ordered it.

I was able to setup a custom rez and run at 2560x1440 @ 75hz via DP. It seems to be dropping every fourth or fifth frame, however.

I have a question though, which hopefully those of you with the monitor itself might help me with. I plan to use this monitor with HDMI limited by a 165 MHz TMDS (essentially, single-link DVI/HDMI). This means that 2560x1440 at 60Hz will be out of reach for me. I was hoping someone could test whether the BenQ would sync at 2560x1440 at 30, 35 or 40Hz instead? (You will probably have to create a custom resolution to get the monitor to run at this resolution/refresh rate).

Sure. I switched over from DP to an HDMI cable, and it ran 2560x1440 @ 30, 35, and 40 Hz just fine as far as I could see.
30Hz maybe looked a little smoother, so it's probably actually running at a 60Hz rate...

I was able to setup a custom rez and run at 2560x1440 @ 75hz via DP. It seems to be dropping every fourth or fifth frame, however.

That's great news, the monitor would have been unusable otherwise (It will be connected via display port), I just hope it was the monitor itself that took in the 75hz signal and frame skipped rather than your gpu putting out a 60hz signal with your gpu doing all the work

Either I lucked up big time or just don't notice it like everyone else, because I do not see it unless I specifically test for it. I don't see it during normal use.

And I'm pretty darn picky when it comes to monitors. I've exchanged them over a single dead pixel before.
Check-- same boat here.

I've spent a decent amount of time in Skyrim in dwemer ruins, looking at the night sky around Azura's statue, darker draugir caves, and now in the middle of the Nightingale/Nocturnal questline...and I just can't see the vertical banding in game at all. I can notice a bit of ghosting when doing a fast 360 spin, but what I mostly notice is that the deep blacks and greys look awesome and likewise the colors for dwemer metal and fires.

Beyond the display itself, though, I've got to say that the stand on this monitor is great-- the full tilt, pivot, height makes it really easy to just swap in an HDMI cable, f/ex. It moves easily, but stays put once done...and this 32" display doesn't bounce around as much as my old 24" display when I move it around, nudge the desk, etc.

The other thing I have to say about this BenQ is that both the proximity controls and the little USB mouselike remote work as well as you could ask. Here's a tip that perhaps others might find handy. You can reprogram the outer buttons as:

1: sRGB mode
2: Low Blue-light Mode
3: User Mode

I also adjusted the brightness down to 25 for all of the modes, and then did the fine tweaking of gamma, user-set temperature by tweaking the individual colors, etc in user mode. Once done, you can easily switch back and forth between sRGB and User Mode to compare what they look like. For example, I'd tweaked the color channels for R and B down a bit too far trying to maximize contrast in gradients, and that helped me notice that pure greys were starting to get a touch of a greenish tint. Ended up with 97/99/97 rather than 95/100/96.

Most importantly, however: button 2 exists for when you first wake up, do something on the computer and have your eyeballs fried by the screen when it wakes up. :cool:

That's great news, the monitor would have been unusable otherwise (It will be connected via display port), I just hope it was the monitor itself that took in the 75hz signal and frame skipped rather than your gpu putting out a 60hz signal with your gpu doing all the work

I think so? The GPU says it's doing 75Hz, and the testufo page shows my browser thinking it's at 75Hz also. The first image shows a skip, the others look OK:

Pl1JmWh.jpg
apvCqo9.jpg

G2LbqL1.jpg
fguIUGQ.jpg

Just got the monitor, I am LOVING the black levels on this thing, has to be the best I've ever seen (bar inside my Oculus Rift DK2 obviously)

No banding at all here. Looked for it very carefully so I could send it back to NCIX if I had it. No problems at all.

Is the black level on this model the same as the Samsung? They use the exact same panel, no?

is multitasking good on this display?

I'm considering replacing two 23" 16:9 displays with this one, from my calculations this 32" display if I split it in half each half would be equal to about 70% of the width of one 23" display so I think it would be just enough to serve as a dual monitor "work display".

Next to this display I was considering having my XL2411t for competitive fps gaming online.

Is the Acer as good as the Benq?
the Acer is slightly cheaper where I live.

Acer and BenQ are essentially the same (Acer B326HUL Review), but the BenQ has 3 overdrive settings while the Acer does not, and it has faster pixel response times than the BenQ's AMA High setting (best setting), but suffers from more obvious overshoot ghosting. Usually Acer monitors overdrive can be changed by entering the service menu (hold the E button when the monitor is off then press power and an F will appear in the menu, select it and change the OD setting), but the setting resets when the monitor is powered off. Some Acer's OD setting doesn't reset when left to go to sleep, but my S236Hl
L's resets when it goes to sleep and powers off so I have to change the setting every time I use it. It takes around 10 seconds to change my S236HL's overdrive.

The Samsung should be the same as the other two, but like the BenQ, the Samsung has 3 overdrive settings. The Acer has a bright gray, matte bezel which will make blacks look deeper compared to the other 32" which have darker bezels, but might also 'clash' (owned a white monitor/elephant in my room) with the colors of other room objects. Examples of bezel comparisons.

Last edited:
Acer and BenQ are essentially the same, but the BenQ has 3 overdrive settings while the Acer does not, and it has faster pixel response times than the BenQ's AMA High setting (best setting), but suffers from more obvious overshoot ghosting. Usually Acer's overdrive can be changed by entering the service menu (hold the E button when the monitor is off then press power and an F will appear in the menu, select it and change the OD setting), but the setting resets when the monitor is powered off. Some Acer's OD setting doesn't reset when left to go to sleep, but S236Hl's resets when it goes to sleep and powers off so I have to change the setting every time I use it.

The Samsung should be the same as the other two, but like the BenQ, the Samsung has 3 overdrive settings.

so in short would you say the Acer has better pixel responce time while the BenQ has less ghosting?

But I guess playing with OSD menu one could decrease the overshoot ghosting?

I'm considering getting either the Benq or Acer, I think one thing in favor of the Benq could be resale value considering how popular the BL3200PT is.

The Acer suffers from slightly less color streaking and smearing vs. the BenQ's AMA High setting, but some might find the increased amount of overshoot ghosting (bright and dark halos/glow which form around moving content) more obvious. The service menu is not the same as the normal menu since it can only be accessed with a certain button combination (hold the E button for a few seconds when the monitor is turned off, then turn the monitor on, bring up the menu and select the F at the top of the menu to access the service menu) and the setting resets when the monitor is turned off. I don't know if the B326HUL's service menu can be accessed...hassle free return and exchange policies for the win.

I just double checked TFT Central's review, and the Acer has better color presets (specifically the gamma since the BenQ suffers from strong black crush and when using the preset, Gamma 3 setting) while the BenQ's gamma needs to be change from 3 to 1. Their presets accuracy is very similar once the BenQ's setting is change, but the Acer should be slightly better even after the BenQ's gamma setting is changed from 3 to 1.

Last edited:
How is this suitable for PS3/PS4 gaming?

I'm assuming that you will primarily be using this with a PC at its native resolution and just want to know how it will perform when connected to a console...otherwise it would make far more sense to purchase a cheaper, larger 1080p display.

If you're asking about the scaling, in my opinion it is excellent. One of the first things I did after I swapped out my Samsung with the BenQ is fire up a few games and see how they looked at 2560x1440 60hz since I had been gaming at 1920x1080 120hz for the past couple of years. Well there was one game where I simply started playing and forgot to go into the video options and change the resolution. I played for a good 30-45 minutes thinking about how great the game looked before I realized that I was playing it at 1920x1080. When I finally changed it to 2560x1440, it's not like the difference was astounding. Some textures got noticeably sharper and of course jagged edges were reduced by going to the higher resolution, but the scaler was doing a fine job at the lower resolution. I expect it'd do just fine with PS3/PS4 if used primarily as a PC monitor.

so in short would you say the Acer has better pixel responce time while the BenQ has less ghosting?

They are going to be comparable. The differences will not be that exaggerated. I think he was saying that the Acer has faster pixel response time at the expense of overshoot ghosting. Now, the BenQ can easily be changed from the default AMA setting of High to Premium (highest setting) which will improve pixel response times but will also make the monitor exhibit obvious overshoot, so now it's basically doing what the Acer is doing at default settings. Likewise, you should be able to go into the Acer's service menu and change the overdrive setting to reduce overshoot at the expense of pixel response time, but then you're just making it perform like the BenQ at default settings...and having to do that every time I turned the monitor on would drive me absolutely nuts.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The differences between the BenQ/Acer/Samsung are not going to be night and day.

Someone can tell me if BenQ ha the same "va cone" issue of mine S32D850?
I can live with the banding issue, but this is really annoying me, and I have only 3 days left to recess the Samsung and buy the Benq (when I will find an available one)

Hey NCX, you seem like a knowledgeable guy when it comes to display technology. Have you any idea perhaps what's the cause behind the banding issues that many people report? Purely out of curiosity, I doubt there's a fix.

My BenQ has it too, but I must say surely not as severe as in your pictures. Are the pictures an exaggeration or is it just as bad in actual use?

If you can't live with it, Bestio, maybe the Eizo FlexScan EV2736W is an option for you. It has hardly any IPS glow.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_ev2736w.htm

You'll give up the deep VA blacks, but you will have wide viewing angles, even in the dark. It's also sharper (higher PPI) and faster (less input lag, slightly faster response times).

I can live with the banding issue, but this is really annoying me, and I have only 3 days left to recess the Samsung and buy the Benq (when I will find an available one)
I can see a bit of "VA cone" or VA gamma shifting from up close with the BenQ, but it doesn't seem to be nearly as noticeable as the S32 pics you've shown.

This is taken with camera in Auto/NoFlash, you can see some of the effect, but that's partially due to the camera trying to gather more light with a long exposure since the scene is so dark:

Z9J7nRm.jpg

Here's the same pic taken in manual mode, trying to get it to look like what my eyes see.
Notice that the left-hand menu bar and the blue compass in lower-right are oversaturated above, compared to pics below:

xKe2g7w.jpg

Here's manual mode shots from close up + extreme side angles:

txIECBO.jpg
IlfOv99.jpg

Now, the BenQ can easily be changed from the default AMA setting of High to Premium (highest setting) which will improve pixel response times but will also make the monitor exhibit obvious overshoot, so now it's basically doing what the Acer is doing at default settings.

The BenQ's Premium setting introduces extreme overshoot ghosting while Acer' can be deemed 'useable.'

[X]eltic;1040999601 said:
Have you any idea perhaps what's the cause behind the banding issues that many people report? Purely out of curiosity, I doubt there's a fix.

I don't know what is causing the banding, it's a new, weird issue which AUO obviously thinks will go unnoticed.

-------------------

The EV2736W is the best alternative since the glow free blacks look significantly deeper than non-glow free monitors with similar contrast.

Last edited:
The BenQ's Premium setting introduces extreme overshoot ghosting while Acer' can be deemed 'useable.'

I ended up ordering the Acer :D

My understanding is that the Acer is "better" calibrated out of box for office use and watching movies?

I'm planning on still using my XL2411t to play competitive fps games like CS:GO, but maybe for other games I will try the Acer 32" display.

Back