Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

So I tried my PS3. Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones blu-rays look great. There's not much of a picture quality difference if I compare it with my 32" 1080p television. Also tried the games Trine and Eternal Sonata and these look fine. The interpolation works really well. Yes, there's some loss of sharpness, but it's very minimal. It's also possible to alleviate it somewhat with the sharpness setting. No audio problems either. The PS3 transfers the audio through the HDMI cable to the monitor. At higher volume levels, the monitor speakers give reasonable sound. Personally though, I use the headphone jack. When used, the speakers are automatically turned off. Only weird thing was that after I was done testing my PS3, I had to manually select my DisplayPort output again when I turned my PC on. This is strange, because I have DP auto detect on in the settings. But HDMI auto detect was off, so maybe that was the cause.

Unrelated to the PS3, I also changed my settings. I use this now:

Brightness - 10
Contrast - 50
Sharpness - 5
Gamma - 1
Color Temperature - Normal
AMA - High

I have no idea if these settings result in inaccurate colors, but I don't really care. Subjectively, this gives a great picture and that counts. I didn't like the TFT Central settings; too bright.

Last edited:
Thanks [X]eltic, starting to look more and more like this will be my next panel. Just got to save up >.<

Another update.

I tried the eco sensor of this monitor and I sadly have to conclude it's useless. It should automatically turn the monitor off when I'm not behind my desk and that works. Only problem is, it also turns the monitor sometimes off even when I am behind my desk! Therefore, I will just continue to use the Windows power settings, just like I did with my previous monitor. Maybe BenQ can tweak the sensor a bit with a firmware update.

I also tried the AMA premium setting and I must say I don't really notice overshoot in gaming. From the TFT Central review, I got the impression that the premium setting is unusable, but I can happily report this is not the case at all! I already had no problem with the high setting, but subjectively, with premium on, everything seems a bit smoother and faster. I still have to see how premium mode plays out in a desktop setting.

I changed my settings again too. I use this now:

Preset - Standard
Brightness - 5
Contrast - 50
Sharpness - 5
Gamma - 2
AMA - Premium (<- will likely set this to high again if I notice issues, but as said previously, I think it's very useable in games).

So far, I think this gives the best picture. I have my brightness quite low, but this is due to the fact that this is a big monitor. At higher brightness settings, the amount of light is a bit overwhelming. It's as if you're behind a LED wall.

Last edited:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014372

"Cons: Atrocious colors. Possibly colors can be balanced with third party utilities, but with BenQ .icc profile, or manually balanced, (even in advanced mode) under OS X, reds and oranges are still unacceptably bright. I guess color balance of the AMVA panel is why they call it CAD/CAM monitor."

----

I wonder if this guy has the monitor in Warm mode without realizing it or something, I haven't seen any owners complain of this. TFTCentral didn't seem to have that problem either.

I don't have that issue at all. My reds and oranges aren't overly bright. But this is just by eye, since I have no hardware calibrator. I used software calibration tools, like Lagom Monitor Test and this gamma corrector.

And coming back to the AMA premium mode, after some additional tests I have to conclude it's better to turn it off on the desktop. When I move a window, text overshoot is very noticeable. I also noticed some significant overshoot in games now, particularly in lighter transitions. I still disagree with TFT Central though; I think the premium mode is very useable, because the experience with it on is noticeably faster and smoother. I'm not saying the 'high' setting is bad, but I do notice a pretty big difference with 'premium' on. Depending on the game, the overshoot isn't all that bothersome. It's hard to explain, but it looks like an extremely mild version of the Crysis motion blur effect. This is not a problem in FPS games, but it could be an issue with RTS games.

My recommendation:

Desktop: AMA High.
RTS Games: AMA High.
FPS Games: AMA Premium.

Something else I've noticed with this monitor: slight black crush. Nothing too severe and I believe all VA panels have this more or less. Maybe it's possible to fix this with calibration, not sure.

So when is your monitor arriving, Tyrindor? Or haven't you made up your mind yet?

I have to say, I love my monitor. It's not perfect (which LCD is?), but it's the best monitor I have ever owned for sure.

June 9 to 19 according to Amazon... I've had my order in for almost a month now. :(

I like this monitor very much, I would like to buy it, but I'm afraid for input lag...
I don't play multiplayer FPS, I love RPG, RTS, Turn based RPG/Strategy, MMORPG, where input lag into rasonable value is not a problem.
But I also like racing game, and even in action RPG/MMO like Dark Soul or Wildstarl, high input lag could be a problem.
But i think there is not faster QHD monitor, except bypassed Korean IPS displays with huge bleed/glow issues. :(
The only one could be the new Asus Rog, but problably I can't stand no more a TN panel.

I like this monitor very much, I would like to buy it, but I'm afraid for input lag...
I don't play multiplayer FPS, I love RPG, RTS, Turn based RPG/Strategy, MMORPG, where input lag into rasonable value is not a problem.
But I also like racing game, and even in action RPG/MMO like Dark Soul or Wildstarl, high input lag could be a problem.
But i think there is not faster QHD monitor, except bypassed Korean IPS displays with huge bleed/glow issues. :(
The only one could be the new Asus Rog, but problably I can't stand no more a TN panel.

The input lag is the same as most IPS monitors if not slightly better according to the TFTCentral review. If you are already use to IPS, I doubt you'd notice a difference. People coming from TN/120hz panels are the ones you'll see complaining about input lag but TN/120hz isn't worth the quality loss in my opinion, the only time you need really good input lag is for competitive FPS gaming.

Well, I'm certainly not a professional gamer, but I have no input lag issue with my Benq BL3200PT. I wouldn't worry about this if I were you. For the average gamer, I think the input lag issue is overblown anyway, because opponents will have input lag too. If your opponent has 50 ms input lag, and you have 50 ms input lag, it's basically a wash. Furthermore, in some cases, it's also possible to alleviate the total input lag somewhat with a faster internet connection, optimized network settings, a higher mouse polling rate and disabling of v-sync. The monitor is just one input lag factor. Heck, even your brain is an input lag factor. If you had a bad night's sleep, your total input lag will be higher.

Last edited:
I found the Acer B326HUL at Staples.ca for $599 each with free shipping here in Canada. I ordered 2 and might grab another if they aren't horrible. I'll hook them up tonight and post my findings.

I found the Acer B326HUL at Staples.ca for $599 each with free shipping here in Canada. I ordered 2 and might grab another if they aren't horrible. I'll hook them up tonight and post my findings.
Here's a Hungarian review of that monitor. Use Google or Chrome to translate.

http://prohardver.hu/teszt/acer_b326hul_wqhd_monitor_teszt/bevezeto_es_kulso.html

If I had to point out the single biggest flaw of the BenQ BL3200PT, it's the gamma shift. Before I received this screen, I got the impression from the TFT Central review that the viewing angles of this monitor would be pretty much similar to my IPS panel. I have to be honest, this is not true. Compared to my 24 inch IPS panel, the viewing angles are significantly worse. Not TN panel bad, but still worse than my IPS panel. Up close, the gamma shift is noticeable and the middle of the screen looks slightly different than the sides. Most of the time, it's not extremely drastic, and it's predominantly an issue on screens with a single color (e.g. calibration test screens and single screen browsing with a lot of white), but the gamma shift is certainly possible to see in normal everyday use. However, in movies and games - situations with a lot of different colors on-screen - it's not much of a problem at all. The gamma shift dissipates from a distance, too. I also think the inferior viewing angles are not solely due to the gamma shift, it's likely due to the sheer size of the monitor as well. Moreover, there's one big exception: blacks. Even from an angle, blacks are still (for the most part) black. There's no glow at all.

If I had to sum the situation up, yes, the gamma shift is an issue, and it once again reminds me of the fact that no LCD is perfect, but I wouldn't trade it for IPS glow.

I previously used the Samsung 305T which was for the most part a great display. I didn't have any trouble with viewing angles with that panel (S-PVA) so I'm hoping this panel will be acceptable.

The Hungarian review has me concerned with the ghosting but again, I'll find out for myself how acceptable that is tonight.

Not a tough choice in my eyes.

Slightly worse viewing angles (who views a monitor off angle?) than IPS but drastically better contrast ratio and black levels. However, there's no glow off angle which IMO would make the slightly worse viewing angles less distracting than IPS viewing angles. He also brings up the point that the viewing angles may appear worse because the monitor is bigger. You can't expect to sit the same distance from this 32" and you would a 27". I agree with "I wouldn't trade it for IPS glow". IPS glow is incredibly distracting to me.

By the way, picture's don't lie here. You can compare this monitors viewing angles to multiple IPS panels on the TFTCentral site. I would say they are roughly the same. Gamma Shift isn't really the same as viewing angles, this monitor has good color accuracy from angles (unlike TN).

I previously used the Samsung 305T which was for the most part a great display. I didn't have any trouble with viewing angles with that panel (S-PVA) so I'm hoping this panel will be acceptable.

The Hungarian review has me concerned with the ghosting but again, I'll find out for myself how acceptable that is tonight.

As a previous 305T owner, I can say that display is good (for it's time) but it suffers from massive input lag. I clocked it in at a massive 55-65ms, which is ~3x higher than most IPS panels.

I would imagine that this panel would have all around better response rates than the 305T too, If I remember right it's rated for 6ms or 8ms GTG while this is 4ms GTG. Granted, that doesn't tell the whole story on VA but it should be the same if not better. Those people complaining are use to TN panels with 1-2ms, and possibly even 120hz on top of that.

Last edited:
Amazon has them in stock right now!
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-BL3200PT...&qid=1400682068&sr=8-1&keywords=BenQ+BL3200PT

Mine's coming Friday. :)

The rate of this menu can not be changed, and as a function not be turned off. Hopefully the manufacturer or refine the factory setting allows you to change the rate of acceleration directly from the menu.

According to that review, the acer does not allow you to adjust AMA, and they have it set too high resulting in overshooting. That's a deal breaker right there compared to the BenQ.
http://prohardver.hu/dl/cnt/2014-04/107958/acer_b326hul_rt.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The input lag is the same as most IPS monitors if not slightly better according to the TFTCentral review. If you are already use to IPS, I doubt you'd notice a difference. People coming from TN/120hz panels are the ones you'll see complaining about input lag but TN/120hz isn't worth the quality loss in my opinion, the only time you need really good input lag is for competitive FPS gaming.

I used for a while a "DVI-D only" korean monitor, Crossover 2735amg and it was very fast for an IPS, (6.4 ms measured using the average SMMT INPUT-lag in russian review)
But I withdraw it cause to strong bleeding/glow in lower borders, very noticeable in dark images and I could not stand it.
Now I'm back to my old TN FHD Samsung 2494hs, waiting to decide which monitor to buy. At first I could not stand no more the poor color quality of the TN panel, but luckily now that I calibrated with a colorimeter it has become at least acceptable.

The importer for Corean displays in Italy is also available to replace the Crossover with a Qnix QX323QHD if I pay the difference (twice of the price), it's more expensive by Benq but I could fully regain the money spent on the Yamakasi.

Last edited:
I've talked about the bad things mostly. Now the good things:

Amazing black depth. I mean, it is still an LCD monitor, so don't expect Kuro plasma black levels, but I can tell you this: the difference between my previous IPS monitor and this is night and day. The contrast is so good, I can see a lot of additional detail on websites I've visited for years. The high contrast ratio improves the look of games and movies greatly as well.

No IPS glow. This is the reason why I never want an IPS panel again. I always had this horrible white/orange/yellow glow in games and movies with my HP ZR24w. With the BenQ BL3200PT, this is gone. Entirely. Blacks are black, even at an angle. Yes, the VA gamma shift occasionally 'emulates' IPS glow, but it's very subtle and very minor. Real IPS glow is much worse.

Incredible screen size. It's just amazing how big of a difference a 32 inch screen makes. In comparison with my previous 24 inch monitor, the level of immersiveness in games is awesome. Instead of looking AT a screen, I'm now more IN the game. A lot of my peripheral vision is filled. Not with my room, but with the game world. Same story with movies. It's an enormous difference.

Best all-round screen on the market. Of course, this is just an opinion, but I've looked at all the monitors in store and I couldn't find anything better. If you want to watch movies, play games (both console and PC), browse the web and do some work, this is the monitor to buy. Why not the LG 34UM95? 16:9 = standard, 21:9 = hit or miss. The LG also has IPS glow and terrible contrast.

Other things I like about the BenQ BL3200PT: it's very customizable and feature rich. There are a lot of settings in the menu; more than enough to please even the biggest critic. Quite a few gimmicks too, like the flicker free backlight, low blue light modes and OSD controller. Plenty of inputs as well: USB 3.0, USB 2.0, Headphone, DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-D, D-Sub and even a card reader.

Overall, this is the best monitor I have ever owned. I'm not going to say it's perfect, and it has some minor issues (gamma shift, black crush, relatively** slow response times, relatively** high input lag and imperfect uniformity), but there's just nothing better to buy at the moment if you want a 'jack of all trades' monitor. From that perspective, all other monitors on the market have bigger issues.

** Relatively. Relatively. Relatively. I can't stress this enough. Not saying it's bad, it's just not as fast as a TN panel, so don't expect that. I tried quite a few games over the last couple days and I think this monitor is just fine for gaming. Unlike TFT Central, I even found the AMA premium setting useable. But it's a trade-off: periodically some overshoot, but a smoother and faster gaming experience. I'd say use it for FPS games, but put AMA on high for RTS games and the desktop instead.

Last edited:
Got mine today after ordering it from the BenQ store on the 24th. Used the tftcentral settings and it looks excellent. I did have something similar to what neojam experienced. It looked like a small group of pixels on the left-hand side of the panel was greyer on an all white screen. Turned out just to be some dirt/dust on the monitor. My only complaint is that the cables they provided were very short (4-5 ft). I had to use my previous DVI to HDMI cable to make it reach.

I may hook up my Xbox 360 to it tomorrow to see how it looks.

I use this:

Preset - Standard
Brightness - 5
Contrast - 50
Sharpness - 5
Gamma - 2
AMA - High

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM, you don't think the TFT Central settings are too bright?

[X]eltic;1040873325 said:
I use this:

Preset - Standard
Brightness - 5
Contrast - 50
Sharpness - 5
Gamma - 2
AMA - High

XxDaRkReAp3rxXdOtCoM, you don't think the TFT Central settings are too bright?

Not all panels are created equal, but when it comes to brightness they are very close usually. The TFT settings obtain 120cd/m2 which is standard brightness. If it seems bright to you, it could be that you have gamma on 2 which can make it a little brighter, or that you are use to a dim display.

Desktops tend to be brighter than movies/games because how often do you have a completely white background in these? On the desktop you constantly run into completely white websites, applications, etc. I could see turning the brightness down some for desktop usage, but 5 seems incredibly low to me. You can't simply adjust the brightness and think "this is dim" or "this is bright" either, give your eyes 30 minutes to adjust... then do a reverse comparison with your old settings. I think you'll be surprised.

I tried brightness at 26 as suggested by TFT Central, but the amount of light was quite overwhelming. The setting at 5 is much easier on my eyes. White levels went down but black levels are even deeper. Not sure if the output is still 120cd/m2 (probably not), but I like it better this way. The monitor's gamma is 2.2 according to this website. The 2.2 picture is smooth.

If you receive your monitor, try my settings and report back. Maybe you like it better than the TFT Central suggestion too. But use it for an hour or so before passing judgement, because the eyes have to adjust to a lower brightness level. It may seem excessively dark at first. Then again, going from the default 100 to TFT Central's 26 will seem very dark as well.

Last edited:
[X]eltic;1040873433 said:
I tried brightness at 26 as suggested by TFT Central, but the amount of light was quite overwhelming. The setting at 5 is much easier on my eyes. White levels went down but black levels are even deeper. Not sure if the output is still 120cd/m2 (probably not), but I like it better this way. The monitor's gamma is 2.2 according to this website. The 2.2 picture is smooth.

If you receive your monitor, try my settings and report back. Maybe you like it better than the TFT Central suggestion too. But use it for an hour or so before passing judgement, because the eyes have to adjust to a lower brightness level. It may seem excessively dark at first. Then again, going from the default 100 to TFT Central's 26 will seem very dark as well.

I like to play and watch movies in a dark room, so 120cd/ms is too high for me too.
Usually my dislpay is calibrated for 80cd/mq (brightness 51 on my Samsung, for 120cd/mq brightness 85, max level is 100)

[X]eltic, the settings are a little too bright when viewing anything maximized that's white/light grey. Most things maximized are too large for ~2 ft away so I've been running things with about 70% of the screen space. Combined with a darker wallpaper, it makes the brightness less of an issue. I did boot into Windows briefly to try it out (I use the classic theme that looks like Windows 95 with the solid blue color background from Windows 2000) and that felt extremely bright. I may have to adjust the brightness in NVIDIA's control panel.

Me too. I like a darker picture. I'm not a print professional so I don't necessarily need a perfectly calibrated screen. It's all about the subjective experience. So far, my current settings look fantastic in movies and games. Call me crazy but I might even try the brightness at zero for a while, to see how it looks. This may not be close to 120cd/m2, but a 32 inch monitor is very large so the total light output is still very substantial. Even at brightness 5, the BenQ lights up my entire room on a white screen. At much higher brightness settings, my previous 24 inch monitor did not.

Can anyone confirm who owns this monitor that it is indeed without stand 9.1" deep? I guess that is measured at its widest point but still seems way deeper than my current 30" HP which is 3.4"

I sent mine back but that has to be with the stand. The monitor is pretty slim.

Can anyone confirm who owns this monitor that it is indeed without stand 9.1" deep? I guess that is measured at its widest point but still seems way deeper than my current 30" HP which is 3.4"

There's no way it's that deep. Based on pictures, i'd say 3-4" at most.

I'm starting to like the AMA premium setting more and more. The overshoot in games doesn't bother me at all. With premium on, the monitor is quite fast. Faster than my previous IPS monitor. With the AMA high setting, I'd say it is slightly slower.

It is roughly 2.5" deep at the deepest point. The monitor is very thin for its size. But in practice, it will be deeper of course, because you have to mount it to a stand or VESA mount. Mine is about 5 inches from the wall with VESA arm.

The bezels are very thin too, by the way. The sides and top are only 14mm thin and the bottom bezel is 20mm thin.

Mines coming tomorrow! :D

Fingers crossed I don't get one with issues, but with Amazon that shouldn't be a big deal to exchange.

Been messing with mine for a few hours. Initial impression was "PPI seems low, text looks a lot fuzzier than expected". I moved it back a tad and it hasn't bothered me since...

I don't see any dead or stuck pixels, I also don't see those darker lines some people were talking about. Overall the panel seems very uniform, even on a solid color. I do see the gamma issue on these forums where the grays on the left and right side are slightly brighter (if I move head, it shifts with my head). However, it's incredibly minor and way less noticeable than IPS glow and better than the previous VA panel I owned. People complaining about it are likely way too close to their monitor...

I tested about a dozen games, I don't notice any input lag but I am use to having ~20ms input lag from previous panels. I do however notice blurring, you won't see actual ghosting but you definitely will see some blurring. It seems like you have motion blur on when you don't, any game with a motion blur setting will completely mask it. If you drag a window around on the desktop, it will blur slightly. I tested AMA High and Premium, and feel High was best overall. Premium has noticeable overshoot on the desktop.

My main cons so far:
- I wish response times were better. Blurring will take some getting use too, it's slightly better than expected in some areas but slightly worse in other areas. Far Cry 3's distant mountains seem to "flicker" when I move the camera fast due to semi-dark landscapes with a white sky behind it. It's almost like screen tearing when vsync is disabled, infact it's so close I had to check to see if vsync was actually on. Some things blur worse than others causing a "tear" for a split few milliseconds, hard to explain. I'm being pretty picky here, and staring for it though... I'm noticing it less and less already.
- Stand seems a bit wobbly. I use a smaller stand, when I type the monitor wobbles slightly.
- I wish it was slightly glossier. It lacks the "pop" of glossy screens, but it's a pretty decent middle ground.

Last edited:
Here's my preferred settings so far...
Preset: User
Brightness: 17 (5 seems dull, TFT's 26 seems to hurt blacks a tad but doesn't seem overly bright)
Contrast: 50
Sharpness: 5
Gamma: 1
Color Temp: Normal
Hue: 50
Saturation: 50
AMA: High

I've practically already got use to the blurring/lower response rates, just played some Watch Dogs and driving around full speed I don't notice anything.

This monitor is definitely a keeper. :D

I don't know if you had the same, but was your first impression with this monitor bad too? I really didn't like the default settings and I had to get used to the enormous size, gamma shift and relatively slow response times as well. But I can honestly now say, this is the best monitor I've ever owned!

I recommend the AMA premium setting in games too. In certain games, the overshoot isn't really all that dreadful and it really makes a speed difference.

I also have my brightness higher again. You are right, the 5 setting is too dull. At 5, the white is more grey. I have it at 20 now and the white is white again.

Yeah I didn't like it at first, and I tend to use a 55" TV that uses a VA panel. I hate every display for the first hour or so though, it's an adjustment period for me. By the way I keep turning the brightness down more and more... I'm at 10 now. I swear this thing is getting brighter! Going from a white page to a gray/black page like this strains my eyes a bit!

I used a VA panel before this, so gamma shift is something I don't even notice anymore. I just fired up some more games and it seems I forgot to turn off motion blur in some of them, thinking it was the monitor. The response time isn't nearly as bad as I thought. Unless i'm really staring for it, I can't really see the difference between the IPS panel next to it even with it on AMA High. AMA Premium has overshooting issues for me, even in certain games. I'm not going to keep fiddling with it, I'm happy with High.

I have this hooked up to my monitor now:

DisplayPort - PC.
HDMI - PlayStation 3.

I am also going to hook my Xbox 360 up like this:

2lvlf5x.jpg

I love this monitor! With all my consoles hooked up plus Netflix and torrents for my series and movies, why do I even need a television? :)

Why not just do HDMI for audio and video for both consoles? They make HDMI splitters.

Certainly a possibility, but I like it better this way. No HDMI switch on my desk.

edit:

Oh wait, you said splitter, not switch. Do these passive splitters even work? I mean, isn't a 50 percent signal loss per HDMI device too much?

Last edited:
I'm doing something similar to connect my Xbox 360 to this monitor. Originally, I had the console plugged into my Samsung 226BW monitor with an HDMI to DVI cable (as the monitor only has DVI and VGA ports) and for audio, I used the original cable that came with the Xbox 360 but snapped that plastic piece off so it wouldn't block the HDMI port (you can see an example of this here: http://pineconeattack.com/2010/08/2...-the-rca-audio-hdmi-on-the-xbox-360-for-free/). I used one of these to connect the RCA connectors to my old Logitech's 3.5mm connectors:

31opB2DBF3L.jpg

I'll probably connect the console tomorrow when my dual link DVI-DVI and HDMI cables arrive from Monoprice. $700 monitor and BenQ couldn't provide an extra foot length for their cables...

Have any of you tried the internal speakers yet?

Back