Benq BL3200PT (32" 1440p)

Its flickering like crazy. - blah. :mad:

Its going back to the store.

Bendak - you were 200% lucky, good luck with that Monitor man :)
If you decide to sell it any time soon, yell (my way) :D

arf shit shit shit !!! You have the total ? Banding + Flickering ? What was your test for flickering ? Where was it happening ?

and do you know there are no such issues with the BL3201PT... but 4K...

So afraid to get the same as you if I buy it...

All tests described here + Command and Conquer (Tiberium wars)

It was just bad, bad.

My wife got home while i was testing, and she was like wtf is that white flicker ( lol ) - told her its garbage.

I think ill be getting 4K.

All tests described here + Command and Conquer (Tiberium wars)

It was just bad, bad.

What graphics card do you have? What connector you used? It's weird that some have this problem and some don't and manufacturing month seems to have no effect to it. Maybe BenQ is using panels from multiple factory lines and only one is good? And getting one that works is pure luck. Then again, I usually get the ones that have weird problems or are DOA...

(I know that earlier someone tested with different graphics cards/computers and still had the flashing.)

2x r9 290 (CF) (latest drivers)
Displayport 1.2
Tried Dual DVI as well.

Simply, having issues (any kind of) for this price is not acceptable for me.

4K version did cost 400 bucks more, its not cheap, its a lot of money, but, i am tired of returning \ testing Monitors, not worth 400 bucks and my time.

In case i have issues with 4K one, i am going back to my old 22" :)

My sad story so far with Monitor is:

1) pb287q (dead pixels - tried 2)
2) pb278q (dead pixels - tried 1)
-- said no more asus --

1) xl2720z (1080P on 27" was killing my eyes)
2) xl2420z (extremely bad bleeding - middle - sides)
3) BL3200PT (you know issues)
4) XL2430T (ordered it, returned it yesterday with BL3200PT - did not even bother opening in the end)
5) BL3201PH (Should be delivered tomorrow)

IMG20141229152523.jpg

IMG20141229160512.jpg

:eek:

I simply don't have time for this any more.
Was waiting in line at bestbuy yesterday for over an hour to return Monitors.
It was easy return, no doubt, they didnt even check the boxes or anything, but, still.

2014-12-30_11-08-47.png

4K should arrive tomorrow - hopefully no issues - so, i can shop for new GPU's :)

That's quite bad NEK4TE(the monitors and length of the queue). Honestly I don't know. I really like this monitor (the replacement) and haven't noticed the flickering anywhere else apart from Origin like I mentioned. The 4k one is a little over my budget and double the price of this. Only available at OcUK at £900 which I can't really justify. The problem is I can't see any alternative. Dare I say with the flickering this monitor is better than the alternatives which seem to be non-existent at this size (or use the same panel Acer and Samsung I think).

Yep, i do agree that is very very expensive, no doubt. ($1120 CAD i paid it with tax (+13%))

Its far more then what i wanted to spend on the Monitor, but, thing is that i work from home, i need my system up and running.

With Monitor listed in my previous post, it was just terrible experience, with some of them i used to have headache (my eyes were so red, i was like crying) and it resulted in not being able to work and work as i should ( costed me money there as well).

I know that new monitor G-Sync , FreeSync are coming out, but, in my opinion that technology is still 2 new + with G-Sync u gotta stick with NVIDIA and with FreeSync (As i understand) u gotta stick with AMD, and i really don't want to have that limitation. (sometimes i use nvidia, sometimes i use amd - looking for a perfection at this time is not possible - as there are people already reporting many issues with g-sync monitors, even $950 model one) - so,...

All i need is a working Monitor, IPS (preferred - as i sit 10+ hours a day in front of PC - i like the colors \ size) with good size \ colors , etc.

I hope 4k will not explode your eyes as well... It is really the only thing why I have not order that monitor ( BL3201PT ) that is why this 1440P was so good for DPI/pitch ! I am also afraid, if I buy the 3200pt, to get same problems as you had ( banding - flickering ), but it is also the only one I could use with 2 of my existing 24" 1080P ( in portrait mode )...big gain of money !!!

Otherwise yes the 4k to run it in 1440P ? I don't know... will need other screen next to it... spend more money then snif...

There was a review here of the 3201PT : the guy is really happy and answered my questions in comments ( I am jazz deus ) ! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNqlWAatkxc

and he did a test on what I asked ( banding / flickering and games ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLQizcdvVvo

Hope you will get a good monitor !! let us know about that !

Ps: I am surprises there are not so many users of the 3200pt on this topic...

Last edited:
I used to have 28" 4K, i had to do Windows Scaling, of course, at around 150%, at 32" size, i believe it won't be as bad, we will see, i have 15 days to return it (easy return) in case i start having issues.

Thanks for video, ill check it now.

BL3200PT is a waste of time for me, big time :) won't go back to it until\unless i could see the box in front of me and see manufacturer date of March. (lol) but, nobody have them in stock @ stores here where i can shop locally.

Sorry to hear all you gamers having flicker trouble!

Quick question outside of the flicker debates though: what resolution can you drive this monitor at, with hdmi 1.4? Can you do 1440p with 60Hz?

Its not only gamers issue :)

as for your question, i will let somebody else answer that question (As i am unsure).

:)

anyway guys, 4K version arrived today.

This Monitor is great, so far best Monitor i ever owned.

I can as well confirm no flickering issues, any tests i did, no issues at all.

Screen is awesome, very very good quality Monitor.

It is expensive, but, i think in the end its worth it.

Will do more testings, give it few more days, and i will make a final decision if i am gonna keep it, or shop more :)

anyway guys, 4K version arrived today.

This Monitor is great, so far best Monitor i ever owned.

I can as well confirm no flickering issues, any tests i did, no issues at all.

Screen is awesome, very very good quality Monitor.

It is expensive, but, i think in the end its worth it.

Will do more testings, give it few more days, and i will make a final decision if i am gonna keep it, or shop more :)

I would have totally gotten the 4k one if I am not a gamer, but too bad video cards can't keep up with 4k and I have no desire to go tri sli or quadfire.

I would have totally gotten the 4k one if I am not a gamer, but too bad video cards can't keep up with 4k and I have no desire to go tri sli or quadfire.

But just think, most people upgrade their video cards far more often than their monitors. If you buy 4K now, single GPUs 2-3 generations away should have no problem sustaining 60fps @ 4K and it is achievable right now with 2-card SLI if you're willing to back the detail settings down from maximum. The flip side of that is that if you wait for 2-3 GPU cycles to occur and bring those more powerful cards, 4K monitors like this should be much cheaper.

Don't get me wrong - the BL3200PT is an incredible monitor if you get one without flaws like I did but 4K is definitely the way of the future. I'm not sure how much longer we should recommend 1440p displays to people with top-end GPUs or people who upgrade GPUs often.

I'm absolutely sure that 1440p will be around for a good while but for those who are [H]ard and like to stay on the cutting edge, 1440p after witnessing 4K probably seems like 480p after witnessing HD 720p/1080p. :)

True, that is why i decided to go with 4K in the end.

I can easily say that past 3-4 years (or so) i have been upgrading my GPU's every year - but, not my Monitor.

That is why i am trying to get the best possible Monitor (perfect doesn't exist, and never will be, even at the last price i paid $1200) that can be used for at least 3-4-5 Years.

The problem with that 32" 4k is that you cannot put any other monitor with same pitch/dpi except the same one...

But just think, most people upgrade their video cards far more often than their monitors. If you buy 4K now, single GPUs 2-3 generations away should have no problem sustaining 60fps @ 4K and it is achievable right now with 2-card SLI if you're willing to back the detail settings down from maximum. The flip side of that is that if you wait for 2-3 GPU cycles to occur and bring those more powerful cards, 4K monitors like this should be much cheaper.

Don't get me wrong - the BL3200PT is an incredible monitor if you get one without flaws like I did but 4K is definitely the way of the future. I'm not sure how much longer we should recommend 1440p displays to people with top-end GPUs or people who upgrade GPUs often.

I'm absolutely sure that 1440p will be around for a good while but for those who are [H]ard and like to stay on the cutting edge, 1440p after witnessing 4K probably seems like 480p after witnessing HD 720p/1080p. :)

That totally wouldn't work at all, as I can't just stop gaming for 2-3 years, and don't forget, the 2nd and 3rd year will be worse, when you GPU stay the same, games are getting more demanding every year. BTW I upgrade my card every 3 years, still on 7970.

Since I am not willing to go with SLI or Corssfire, 1440P is the max I can go, one of the reasons I didn't get the 34um95 as well.

Last edited:
I bought my BL3200PT in May, and predictably doesn't have the flashing issues. I noticed the price went down ~$100 since I bought it. Maybe they cut the quality of the panels in order to get the price down? Sucks if that's the case. 32" is a very nice size for a monitor. You get used to it fast.

That totally wouldn't work at all, as I can't just stop gaming for 2-3 years, and don't forget, the 2nd and 3rd year will be worse, when you GPU stay the same, games are getting more demanding every year. BTW I upgrade my card every 3 years, still on 7970.

Since I am not willing to go with SLI or Corssfire, 1440P is the max I can go, one of the reasons I didn't get the 34um95 as well.

If you only upgrade your GPU every 3 years then I see where you're coming from. My point was just that while you said "video cards can't keep up with 4k", that's not necessarily true. The faster cards in CrossFire/SLI right now are able to sustain very playable frame rates, and while those same cards might not be able to do that in 2-3 years at 4K, many people don't wait that long to upgrade.

Don't get me wrong - there's absolutely nothing wrong with waiting. I haven't jumped on the 4K bandwagon myself just yet because I know we're gonna see better & cheaper panels with more features soon. Just gotta resist becoming an early adopter, and that's hard right now. :)

I bought my BL3200PT in May, and predictably doesn't have the flashing issues. I noticed the price went down ~$100 since I bought it. Maybe they cut the quality of the panels in order to get the price down? Sucks if that's the case. 32" is a very nice size for a monitor. You get used to it fast.

Competition, 4k TN have so much more selling appeal, add in 1440p 21:9 etc etc.

This is unlikely, but does anyone know whether Benq would take my flashing BL3200PT under warranty and let me pay the extra price difference to get the 4k model? CBF dealing with more warranties, done enough of that already.

hi to all guys, im ruben from italy, i hope you can help me! i've bought one month ago, a macmini (late 2012) with hd4000 to replace my imac27. i've connected it to a samsung t27d590ew (TV - MONITOR) with horrible results: even in full hd with the hdmi cable, or vga, or thunderbolt, i had a lot of problems in terms of crispness of text. so i've sold it. i would like to buy a good screen for my macmini so ive seen this awesome monitor. what do you think about it? will i have always problems???

apple site says

Supported displays and configuration
You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with these Mac computers:
MacBook Pro (Retina, Late 2013 and later)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iMac (27-inch, Late 2013 and later)
Mac mini (Late 2014)
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

could i set the monitor to the same risolution of my old imac27?

ps sorry for my bad english

I have a late 2012 Mac Mini, and over thunderbolt (I'm using a mini-displayport to displayport adapter) the BL3200PT gets a 2560x1440 signal from the Mac Mini with no problems. Looks just like it should.

Anyone received a unit within the past month or so that has been flash-free? I've been trying to find more information on Benq's acknowledgement of the problem, and the best I've found in my search has been in this thread. Apparently they have acknowledged the issue, but who knows when the problem will be fixed?

perfect! could you post a photo of the result?

do you see all clear??? is the text ok?

Yes. It looks like it should. It's rendered correctly. Many TVs have bad default settings for sharpness which can ruin the appearance of text. The BL3200PT is a monitor, so the sharpness is correct by default. I tried taking a couple pics as you requested, but it's hard to take pictures of a monitor up close. The gaps between pixels start to show, so you get a moire pattern which distracts from the text. The images look much worse than it does in person. But here they are if you want to take a look anyway http://imgur.com/a/76J5l

Spoke with someone at Benq who says a firmware update fixes the flashing problem, but wants me to still send it in to be applied.

Waiting to hear back on whether I could do the update myself or whether it needs to be done by Benq.

Yes. It looks like it should. It's rendered correctly. Many TVs have bad default settings for sharpness which can ruin the appearance of text. The BL3200PT is a monitor, so the sharpness is correct by default. I tried taking a couple pics as you requested, but it's hard to take pictures of a monitor up close. The gaps between pixels start to show, so you get a moire pattern which distracts from the text. The images look much worse than it does in person. But here they are if you want to take a look anyway http://imgur.com/a/76J5l

perfect! last question: what do you think about using benq with consoles like ps4 or xbox

Spoke with someone at Benq who says a firmware update fixes the flashing problem, but wants me to still send it in to be applied.

Waiting to hear back on whether I could do the update myself or whether it needs to be done by Benq.

Please let us know if they give you instructions on how to do it, or if they insist on you sending it to them.

Thanks for sharing.

Please let us know if they give you instructions on how to do it, or if they insist on you sending it to them.

Thanks for sharing.

Have heard back from him, I quote "The F/W process for the BL series is not simple, it’s not via USB and requires a specially made Jig that connects directly to the Interface board and to get access to the I/F board requires you to take the monitor apart".

Still good news though as it can be fixed.

Have heard back from him, I quote "The F/W process for the BL series is not simple, it’s not via USB and requires a specially made Jig that connects directly to the Interface board and to get access to the I/F board requires you to take the monitor apart".

Still good news though as it can be fixed.

Good news indeed. I read somewhere, perhaps this thread, that Benq would do an overnight swap if your monitor suffered from this problem. But, I haven't heard directly from anyone that actually went through the process, so your response is encouraging.

perfect! last question: what do you think about using benq with consoles like ps4 or xbox

It's good! Not sure what to say about it really. The response time is fast enough, and the scaler does its job well. No complaints.

So I received my monitors back from BenQ and the updated firmware only fixed the flickering.

It still has the Vertical Bands/ Brightness Differences. After contacting their support I found out they don't even have calibration equipment in house so thats why they only fixed the firmware :( They did say they were going to order some though.

So I received my monitors back from BenQ and the updated firmware only fixed the flickering.

It still has the Vertical Bands/ Brightness Differences. After contacting their support I found out they don't even have calibration equipment in house so thats why they only fixed the firmware :( They did say they were going to order some though.

This looks like good news for owners as far as the flickering.

What's your firmware version now? Did you have to pay to ship it to them or did they give you a return label?

Back