BenQ BL2710PT- as good as IPS?

They're the same; AHVA is just AUO's take on IPS-like technology.

but doesnt IPS have better viewing angles than AHVA?

what is the difference between IPS and AHVA?

Last edited:
Try reading the reviews you linked to, or using Google before creating another stupid thread.

Well, considering the trillions of combinations of things one can form with letters, especially since they do not try and make an actual word that is pronounceable, the AHVA is really retarded.

Why not... IPH or JOMOMMA? Or something without VA in it?

I mean there are three and half screens in existence: VA, TN and IPS and PLS (pls is sorta like ips)

How about not making a PLS/IPS looking panel not say VA in it? AMVA and AHVA are so opposite one another.

second point is the guy did not read any of the reviews carefully. But he has a point in wondering.

Well, considering the trillions of combinations of things one can form with letters, especially since they do not try and make an actual word that is pronounceable, the AHVA is really retarded.

Yes it is! It's as if AUO wants the *VA suffix on all of their tech, regardless of sense. And to make things more confusing, BenQ's own product description page for this monitor has a big "IPS" logo on the top right and makes mention of "IPS Technology" throughout:

http://www.benq.us/product/monitor/BL2710PT

There is no mention of AHVA anywhere on their page. Yet BenQ is AUO's sister company. :confused:

Is it possible that they are now using IPS panels for this model instead of the AHVA that was originally spec'd for it? Isn't "IPS" a trademark of LG.Displays? Or is it a generic term? That IPS logo on the BenQ BL2710PT product page doesn't have any trademark, CC notice or disclaimer.

Also from that page you can buy a new (not refurb) BL2710PT directly from BenQ for $449 (down from $499) with a coupon code helpfully highlighted for you. Amazon and B&H Photo have it at that same price since last Sunday. Newegg has it for $559 and lists the MSRP at $859 -- the other sites list MSRP at $799. I wonder if different components have been spec'd for a newer run of this model? Or if BenQ is just helping to confuse the matter further.

PLS is Samsung's take on IPS-like tech, aka . Just like AHVA is AUO's take on IPS-like tech. They are both different tech but designed to act like IPS.

If you call PLS an IPS, then you must also call AHVA an IPS as well. Neither could also be called an IP. Just be consistent of it.

Though you won't find in on BenQ's website, the actual box the monitor ships in has the "AHVA" logo on it. The service info screen shows the same panel that TFTCentral reviewed: AUM270DAN01. The only difference is the firmware from the reviews I've read (NCX, TFTCentral, PRAD), mine is F/W: V01/20130911, up from V01/20130520.

Gamma setting "2" in the OSD is closest to gamma 2.20, (looks right on the dot using Lagom's screens and the Display Pilot software.) This and most other settings from NCX and TFTCentral evaluations match my display more than the settings PRAD used. Perhaps a different revision of panel, scaler, or firmware from PRAD's sample? I am also using NCX's ICC profile for the "Standard" setting. I was able to get a great contrast ratio (~900:1) on the Standard mode, setting brightness to 25 and contrast to 50. I prefer it to the User mode that can reach an even higher ratio, but at the expense of color accuracy.

I can confirm that this is indeed an "in-plane switching" type of display, and certainly NOT a vertical alignment display. The monitor this one is replacing is my old trusty BenQ FP241W A-MVA panel, manufactured Nov 2006. Though it had enviable black levels, it also had the distinctive "velvety" look of *VA when examining dark areas of the screen slightly off-center, revealing details in shadows only if you were not looking at it straight on. I got used to it but VA can be distracting with that effect. This BL2710PT has none of that VA effect. It is as clear and sharp as the best IPS panels I've examined (but with a lighter and clearer matte coating than most IPS monitors I've seen, which can look hazy in comparison).

It has that familiar "IPS glow" on dark screens at on oblique angle, and the lower corners have slightly less contrast due to it. (Mostly noticeable in a darkened room looking at a dark screen.) However, the effect is subtle, and imho a far better trade-off than the compromises introduced by VA for achieving higher contrast ratios. It has exemplary viewing angles, both horizontally and vertically. If there is input lag, I cannot notice it in practice. Everything feels nicely responsive, noticeably faster than my old 24" VA panel. Like many reviewers noted, the main complaint I have is with the touch-sensitive OSD buttons, in that they are not quite as sensitive as they should be. They do look very cool, no doubt, but functionality is more important to me than a clean bezel. Happily, I've stumbled upon a method of vertically swiping my thumb such that the buttons work pretty reliably now. Just a nit-pick.

I am currently awaiting an X-Rite i1 Display 2 I picked up used on eBay ('cause I'm cheap and I'm not in professional color work.) I will use that to tweak any settings as needed, particularly to get accurate sRGB-space output to a PIXMA Pro-100 photo printer in PS CS5. But aside from that, it's all about gaming for me on this monitor. My GPU was overkill at 1200p; and even now at 1440p I have yet to see it buckle under max settings for Far Cry 3, BF4, or Metro 2033 (still testing games...)

Thanks to NCX for the ICC profiles and the thorough review of this monitor. :D

Back