BenQ BL2410PT (VA LED)

So we have new piece from BenQ here, which is more oriented into office area.
It's a 24" FHD VA panel with what looks like matt AG coating and LED backlight. It features ergonomic stand with all kinds of adjustments, D-sub, DVI, DisplayPort, Headphone jack, Line in with speakers and USB hub.

Full Specifications found here

I saw some mentioning of predecessor BL2400PT here on forums, which was supposed to be good in everything but response times (7ms gtg) - this features better OverDrive and 4ms gtg as GW2450HM. Also hoping overdrive colour trailing will be somewhat fixed.

Also, both BL2400PT and GW2450HM featured AUO M240HW02 V6 panel and interestingly enough:
Today I wrote to BenQ to confirm which panel is in BL2410PT - they replied with M240Q003 V1 (and that it can change during production). I can't find this one so it must be new.
No reviews up yet but it's already available from November I think.
I'm hoping this monitor will be better....

The thing I find strange is how they market these types of monitors.

It appears to be marketed as a business/productivity monitor, which is fine, except it's 1080p. It'd seem like it would make much more sense if they offered 16:10 monitors for business use -- they'd actually have a real benefit to differentiate themselves then. Even the pic they use of the monitor is taken at such an angle as to infer that it's not super narrow like most 1080ps are ... yet of course in reality that isn't the case.

I guess I just wish the industry as a whole would make more 16:10 monitors, and find it bizarre how they can market reduced vertical space as being useful for productivity.

Review on Prad.de is up for grabs for small fee if anyone is too much interested (like me).

I'd rather have no speakers than crappy ones. All they do is increase the size of the monitor.

@Namelessme
Stop riding a dead horse as soon as OLED and 4K hits the mainstream market 16:10 will be gone.

@Outbreaker

I am sure you are right -- whenever OLED becomes mainstream, or I should say, IF it becomes mainstream in the monitor market, it will be 16:9. The improved black levels/contrast would trump any screen ratio concerns too.

But this is a thread about a modern day VA, so I have no idea what OLED or 4K has to do with anything. Maybe in 2020+ it'd be pertinent.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread, so will get back to the BenQ. Hopefully it proves to be an upgrade over the 2450. I am curious as to how it handles ghosting and angles... hopefully each panel revision improves that a bit.

I dont think the panel will be any different than in any other 24" VA. A matte bezel, pivot, height-adjustability and displayport. Those are the reasons why you'd want to get this one over GW2450.

I dont think the panel will be any different than in any other 24" VA. A matte bezel, pivot, height-adjustability and displayport. Those are the reasons why you'd want to get this one over GW2450.

....and possibly a different panel? I'm not sure which panel is 2460 using though

Looks like an interesting model, I'm curious about AG graininess, PWM (one review on Amazon.de states that its PWM frequency is some 300 Hz or so), whether it can support 75 Hz, and how does it compare to GW2260HM and GW2460HM in general.

@Outbreaker

I am sure you are right -- whenever OLED becomes mainstream, or I should say, IF it becomes mainstream in the monitor market, it will be 16:9. The improved black levels/contrast would trump any screen ratio concerns too.

But this is a thread about a modern day VA, so I have no idea what OLED or 4K has to do with anything. Maybe in 2020+ it'd be pertinent.

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread, so will get back to the BenQ. Hopefully it proves to be an upgrade over the 2450. I am curious as to how it handles ghosting and angles... hopefully each panel revision improves that a bit.

when oled becomes main stream they will print monitors on circular items, refrigirators, cups, whatever - but not just just 16:9 haha

After reading review of the monitor at Prad.de I ended up buying it. So after using it for one week I decided to write a small user review.

Build:
Build quality is great. Monitor stand is heavy, the monitor does not wobble at all. Small grain matte plastic is used for its construction. It is fingerprint resistant, though not as resistant as large grain plastic. Monitor features two USB ports, but due to their location they can be comfortably used only to connect keyboard and mouse. Built-in speakers are crap and can only be used for system sounds. Ambient Light Sensor in mine and one reviewed by Overclockers.ru does nothing at all (not a big loss, as I would not use it anyway). Presence sensor mostly works. Touch buttons for menu access have poor responsiveness.

Panel:
Monitor uses AG coating. Coating is not as heavy as on Dell u2312hm and other e-IPS monitors, but crystalline effect is visible if you look close. Display has good panel uniformity, backlight is even, without bleeds.
According to review by Prad.de and at Overclockers.ru panel covers around 99,4% of sRGB color space before calibration and 100% afterwards ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDHa7XBIFU ). For those interested in AdobeRGB, it covers around 76% of color space. Viewing angles are as you would expect from MVA based panel (wider than TN but narrower than IPS/PLS). BENQ advertises that 8bit panel is used. I checked Gradient test at Lagom. Gradients were even on default settings, but after calibration you can see banding (I guess it is similar to most 6bit+AFRC IPS displays). Contrast and Black Level tests are perfect after calibration (did not test before). No Black Crush. Every square is visible.

Can not say anything about display responsiveness in games, as I do not play fast paced games. AMA is set on HIGH and I see no problems in general purpose use. According to reviews it is as good as on GW2450HM. Contrast levels are above 3000:1. Brightness can be adjusted from 68 to 260 cd/m2.

PWM:
PWM is used for brightness control. PWM frequency is around 400Hz according to Overclockers.ru and around 360Hz according to Prad.de. PWM can be seen on camera if brightness is reduced below 91%.
The most interesting thing, however, is that I was able to eliminate PWM by setting brightness to 100% and then making ICC profiles for 80 – 140cd/m2 luminance with x-rite i1 Display Pro colorimeter’s i1Profiler software. Display Hardware Setup in i1Profiler is done via ADC, without manual brightness/contrast/RGB levels adjustment. As a result I get heavy contrast loss. Measured contrast is between 1160:1 (80cd/m2) and 2050:1 (140cd/m2). Although much lower than original contrast of >3000:1, those values are still higher than on most IPS/PLS and TN displays.

Average Delta values are between 0.89 and 0.62. Of course LEDs are always on, it results in higher electricity use (I think it is around 40W/h) and shorter backlight lifespan (LEDs are said to last around 11 years if used 6 hours a day).

As a result, I am very pleased with the monitor. I will upload ICC (Mac) and ICM (Windows) profiles for luminance levels between 80 and 140cd/m2 for PWM free use. Of course they are individual to my monitor, but should give some approximation for people without access to colorimeter.

Got fairly good reviews from both Prad and Overclockers.ru .

I thought a bit about banding and dithering and recalled some experiences. It seems to me that these AMVA panels dont do dither at all. At least not in higher hues. That could be why you see banding after calibration. Even 8 bits is not enough when you start to calibrate. One could probably sacrifice some color accuracy for less banding artifacts, though.

Somewhat disconcerting that 6-bit+FRC has less banding. But it is dithering, after all. For people who are sensitive to that type of flicker, this AMVA solution, would be good thing. I have seen some modern TN panels where the dithering artifacts are rather apparent when eyes move over certain colors. I'm not particularly 'sensitive' to it but its a bit annoying sometimes.

How far can the display be adjusted vertically? I'm particularly curious if my 16mm speakers will fit underneath the bezel like they did with my former BenQ monitor.

On the topic of PWM, is 400hz regarded as a large amount or low amount of flicker? Admittedly, the concept was entirely unknown to me before I visited this forum, but I am curious nonetheless if it'll be something horrendous to look at when I receive this monitor. I am aware that a PWM free rev exists, but it is more expensive than the offer I got, and I'd obviously like to save my money if the difference is negligible.
If it's anything to go by, I previously owned the BenQ XL2410T which supposedly has PWM at a rate I can't seem to find, but I never noticed anything wrong with the issues highlighted by panels featuring PWM and never felt eye fatigue at ca. 60% brightness.

I'm probably getting worried over nothing that being ignorant of would have been much better, but I'm curious nonetheless what people's opinions are on this matter.

And if anyone owning the monitor would be so kind as to measure the distance from your table to the bottom of the display bezel at its max vertical adjusted position, I'd be really appreciative. :D

I measure about 17 CM

If your speakers are truly 16 mm I don't think you have to worry about the height of any monitor :p

I might have meant 160mm. :D Thank you.

BTW, do you have an opinion on PWM and its use in this monitor?

The revision I got is PWM free so I can't comment on that. If you have no problems with PWM up until now I think you will be fine.

I am curious about this screen, anyone used it for FPS gaming?

I am also curious about this. I don't intend to use it for FPS games often, but I'm curious how it handles relatively twitchy shooters like Counter-Strike.

Another thing, to those of you who own it, have you noticed any considerable black crushing compared to other panel types?

Yeah, I got it few days back, it's a great monitor. It has a great contrast (which is why I didn't buy IPS because of IPS glow)!

I already played Crysis, cod2, bf2 on it and no ghosting disturbed me. There is only very slight ghosting in middle-dark single-colored fast scenes, about the same as on my old TN panel. Keep the settings on high, premium overshoots a lot.

I noticed some black crush, but it was there because gamma wasn't set right by default. I run the monitor at gamma settings one, I have a lot of contrast, no black crush and only a very small amount of ghosting in shades, completely ok to play fast games.

Viewing angles are ok, black are a little washed out when I get up from my chair and look at the monitor from a side. There is nothing wrong with monitor corners during all normal circumstances, only when I open dark-skinned Visual Studio and sit upright (to be closer to the screen), there is a little "metallicy" brightening in the corners.

Overall, I am very happy with it. Doesn't anybody know, how to make some profile or shortcut for brightness values? I normally work at 30%, play games and watch movies at 80% and I am bored of resetting it :)

thread from the dead...

has anyone picked up one of these since they started advertising it as "flicker free"? It seems to indicate there's a new revision, but I haven't seen any reviews (they all seem to be based on the initial release hardware).

I'm looking at picking up a pair of monitors in the near future, one 27" 1440p and one 23-24" 1080p, and I noticed this one on the BenQ website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I'm considering buying this monitor, but I pulled back beacause i read that have some problems in grayscale, as the darker gray cannot display, and shows all black instead.
look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3c1a9uOfRo
someone can tell me if this is a confirmed flaw of this monitor?

Back