Benefits of a Micro Kernel vs a Monolithic Kernel

What are the Benefits of a Micro kernel vs a Monolithic kernel, because every basic guide I've read about making your own operating system says a Micro kernal's have better fault isolation and reliability while Monolithic kernel are faster? There's more to it than that, but can anyone please explain further to help me understand why Andrew Tannenbaum prefers a microkernel and why Linux Torvalds prefers a monolithic kernel? I've read there debate, but I still think both Tannenbaum and Torvalds make good points for their arguments as to why they prefer one kernel type over the other. Tannenbaum feels Operating Systems are to modern and Torvalds wants his operating system to do more modern things essentially. I like that Tannebaum feels Operating Systems should self heal too, but I don't know if I agree that Linux is unstable compared to Minix though.

I don't know about anyone else, but this post feels a lot like, "please do my homework for me"...

I don't know about anyone else, but this post feels a lot like, "please do my homework for me"...

This is not home, but more like a question I can't seem to find a good answer for other than the obvious one everyone gives on the internet, which is that Monolithic kernals are faster and Micro kernals are more reliable. I was hoping someone could explain it better or in more detail than the sources I've found, like the famous Andrew Tannenbaum vs Linux Torvalds debate or Tannebaums long videos. Maybe I should just keep looking though and I'll find the answer.

This is not home, but more like a question I can't seem to find a good answer for other than the obvious one everyone gives on the internet, which is that Monolithic kernals are faster and Micro kernals are more reliable. I was hoping someone could explain it better or in more detail than the sources I've found, like the famous Andrew Tannenbaum vs Linux Torvalds debate or Tannebaums long videos. Maybe I should just keep looking though and I'll find the answer.

You should for sure do some more reading. :)

The bottom line is its not really anything you need to worry about as an end user. Almost every operating system anyone uses these days is Monolithic or a Hyrbid that has more in common with a monolithic type kernel then a micro. Linux and Unix are Monolithic... meaning all kernel operation happens in the memory space assigned to the kernel. Micro kernels work with various services which have to use IPC (inter Process Comms) to communicate. Some would claim that because some processes are separate they can crash and not take the system down. In reality things don't really work that way. Some claim Windows for instance is a micro kernel but in truth its really a hybrid. The only commercial Operating system I know of that uses a true micro kernel is QNX. QNX started as a Canadian University project in 1980... and was pretty much Unix with a micro kernel. Unless you are planning to build your own self driving car or something though I'm not sure that is of much use to you. :)

Wondering if there is some confusing between installing a distributed distro and compiling your own kernel. In the old days most Linux guys compiled their own kernel for exactly what they needed.

All I know is that neither a micro or megalithic penis is good for ya.

Back