Benchies?

ray4389

[H]ard|Gawd
How would a VIA 1gzh stack up to say a P3 at the same speed or what would the AMD equivilent be?

I would probably have to say that the P3 and the VIA would be about equal in power. I'm not positive but based on what I have read, they are comparable.

I don't know of an AMD equivalent.

The older 1 ghz cores were more like 450-500 mhz p3's because of the bad floating point preformance.

swatbat said:
The older 1 ghz cores were more like 450-500 mhz p3's because of the bad floating point preformance.

yeah that was the older ones though. the old C3's only ran a 1/2 clockspeed FPU so their performance in anything floating-point was pretty poor...about a 500mhz in this case. But the latest gen of via cpu's run a full speed FPU and also use SSE/2/3 instructions to further help performance.

Eva_Unit_0 said:
yeah that was the older ones though. the old C3's only ran a 1/2 clockspeed FPU so their performance in anything floating-point was pretty poor...about a 500mhz in this case. But the latest gen of via cpu's run a full speed FPU and also use SSE/2/3 instructions to further help performance.

Yea I couldn't think of what the newer cores were called and don't remember their preformace. What would you think a newer one based of the other cores would do? Maybe like a p3 800?

swatbat said:
Yea I couldn't think of what the newer cores were called and don't remember their preformace. What would you think a newer one based of the other cores would do? Maybe like a p3 800?

eh...yeah an 800mhz p3 might be a fair matchup. I'm really not sure because I haven't seen any real benches of the new ones (aside from via's somewhat misleading "performance per watt" graphs). I'd still expect the P3 to be faster because P3's were great chips and had the geniously designed P6 architecture behind them. But I'd expect it to be close, at least.

serbiaNem said:
Can you actually build a pc with a via chip?
Yeah, it is one motherboard that has the processor and all the peripherals built onto it. Very tiny and runs very cool, makes for a good htpc or linux box.

Back