Belkin n52te Tournament Edition SpeedPad $35

InvisiBill

2[H]4U
Today's Woot deal is the Belkin n52te Tournament Edition SpeedPad for $29.99. As always, order up to 3 at that price, plus $5 shipping per order. Newegg charges $70.

CE60297A_specs01.jpg

There are some older forum posts around saying that it's not compatible with Win7, but the new drivers seem to work fine with it. A number of Wooters commented that they or friends have been using the n52 with Win7 with no problems at all.

I got one of these off amazon for $25 shipped recently. Never did get used to it. It's currently collecting dust. But I know of a couple ppl who enjoy them.

Meh, I was kept from getting one due to finding nothing below 60 a month ago. For this price, I would certainly like to try it.

I had a couple of the older ones, and once you get used to it using a regular keyboard feels awkward and un-natural.
I was going to get the te version above, but it was a little too expensive for me when it came out. If I didn't have the G13 already, I'd grab 1 or two of those from woot.

I picked this up when it first came out, but could never make the transition. I read many good reviews of the N52, so decided to give it a try. The one thing for me which I couldn't deal with was the 'spacebar' jump button for your thumb is at a very awkward position.. it is reachable, but the type of button they used, you have to push down on it at a certain angle, which for me was not very comfortable.

Just replaced my Nostromo n52 (original) with the G13 after 6 years of the n52... and I'm finding it too big. DAMN YOU FOR POSTING THIS (yes I bought one).

I picked this up when it first came out, but could never make the transition. I read many good reviews of the N52, so decided to give it a try. The one thing for me which I couldn't deal with was the 'spacebar' jump button for your thumb is at a very awkward position.. it is reachable, but the type of button they used, you have to push down on it at a certain angle, which for me was not very comfortable.

I bound the left on the "D" pad (which is pointed upwards towards the red button) to spacebar when I had the N52 since I had the same issue with the stock spacebar being so low and far back

I have used this exact model for over two years now. Once you get it and set it up you'll wonder how you ever gamed without it. You can save up to 3 profiles on the on-board memory. I have one for WoW, MW2, and one I keep rotating the 3rd between whatever game I'm currently grinding.

In FPS's this thing is worth its weight in gold! Even in WoW it's crazy handy. The only time I touch my KB in WoW is to communicate with non-guildies.

I paid $55 + tax for mine so that's a great deal!

I won the original Nostromo Speedpad at a Counterstrike tournament many, many years ago. It was awesome. So awesome that my college roommate left with it when I graduated. In for one.

I've had the original N52 for about 5 years now, and love it. Is there any reason I should sidegrade to this one?

Are there any wireless speedpads out there? I game on my couch using my HDTV and using the mouse is fine. However, balancing the keyboard on my lap when my hand is resting on one side is awkward. I'd like to use one of these, but I'd rather not have trip hazards running over to the couch.

I had the original N52, and spilled soda on it and needed a replacement. I was lucky enough to get to try the N52 TE at CES 2 years ago, and it was everything I wanted. Needless to say I bought one the day it was made available and have been using it ever since. I HAVE WINDOWS 7 64 BIT and have zero issues with the N52 TE. It has built in memory so I saved all my changes and many reformats later and things are still going good. Dont even need to install the belkin software, just strait plug and play.

3 things I have modified though for my personal preference.

1.) I have shut all the lights out, as its too bright, and even put electric tape to cover the LED that tells you what profile you are on.

2.) I have put mouse skates/teflon on the bottom of the N52 TE so that it easily slides arround on my desk. For some reason not being able to move it arround bothers me quite a bit, so doing this had made its use that much sweeter.

3.) I have rebinded the space bar/jump to the directional pad. The default space/jump button is awkwardly placed, and I couldnt get adjusted to it at all. Needless to say now that " left, left/up, up, up/right, right" are binded to "jump/space" i just use my thumb on that, and its perfection.

Great pad easily worth the money IMO.

I bound the left on the "D" pad (which is pointed upwards towards the red button) to spacebar when I had the N52 since I had the same issue with the stock spacebar being so low and far back

Ditto. And crouch was bound to right. "use" was down (pointing towards you)

2.) I have put mouse skates/teflon on the bottom of the N52 TE so that it easily slides arround on my desk. For some reason not being able to move it arround bothers me quite a bit, so doing this had made its use that much sweeter.

lol really? Does it help, like leaning your body and moving your control itself around while playing racing games or SMB? :p

I don't understand what the little joystick/dpad is for, is this supposed to replace your mouse as well?

You poor soul.

Are these things really that good? What about for FPS games?

I have a hard time thinking of a game in which you need to use the keyboard that you could not use this. I wouldn't say it is designed for one type over another, but I used mine for FPS, MMO's, and RTS games. I was always a keybind fail guy, playing with defaults and getting pwned, but these really do put all your keys close together.

I can see myself using this for all this years FPS games, Skyrim, Diablo III, Starcraft II, etc. If I get back into WoW, this would greatly help me stop being a keymashing noob.

I don't understand what the little joystick/dpad is for, is this supposed to replace your mouse as well?

You can program it to do whatever you want; I usually map mine to WSAD and map the keys to whatever action/weapon keys or macros I need. This tends to tie up my thumb so I will map the jump key to mouse 4 or something.

I used the N50, upgraded to the N52 when it came out, wore out my N52 (thumb button stopped working) and the only one available to order at the time was the TE for $70. I decided to try the Saitek Cyborg Command Unit since it cost less $$, had even more keys and I think I read about changes to the software and macro creation that turned me off. The Saitek gets the job done and has excellent macro programming but the N52 is more comfortable with easier to reach keys.

I don't know if it helps w/ fps since I suck at them and the game pads certainly haven't changed that but with other games they've been very useful. In games with cooldowns like WAR or WoW you can program complex sets of commands at the push of a button (also very handy in some games where you have to grind crafting). In DAoC my guildies used to wonder how I always got my reactionary melee chain styles to fire so reliably; I was essentially hitting 4, 6 or 8 keystroke combos in under a second

I've had the original N52 for about 5 years now, and love it. Is there any reason I should sidegrade to this one?

I went from an n52 to an n52te and the buttons on the TE feels so much smoother and easier to push. I had trouble with my older n52 where some buttons were difficult to push down and sometimes wouldn't register a push.

Ordered one. Curious as to see how this works with BFBC:2. Probaly could of stuck with my G15v2 but I do love me some PC toys. Plus the blue goes with my theme.

The N52 is on my shelf right now after years of use; I just haven't connected it since I moved. I wore out an N50 already, so this is enticing. The one thing that did suck and caused me to stop using it was the games where you had to use different keys for each type of grenade, which meant you had to switch on the fly. It wasn't convenient for me. I used it for FPS titles exclusively.

If I had the money, I would buy the TE to try it. I might just buy it anyway...... :D

I've never used any of the drivers with my existing n52. plug it in, and the keys ont he damned thing map to regular keyboard keys. I've used it since the day I got it for everything from RTS to RPG to FPS, and sim games. I don't use the profiles, and I don't use the macros. Just plug it in, and go into the games controls and change whatever control you want to the corresponding button on the n52... no drivers or anything like that. And yeah, MS has no idea what they're talking about on this issue.

DPAD up is forward
DPAD left is strafe left
DPAD right is strafe right
dpad back is backwards
thumb button above DPAD is ALT and I use it to open doors, pick shit up, etc
button below DPAD is space and I use it to change fire selector (single shot, 3 round burst, auto) in FPS, use active spells in RPG, or whatever else
Button in the top right is always jump
button below it is always crouch
button in the far lower right on the keypad is prone/flashlight/whatever

once you get used to it, there is no going back. I can't play shit on a keyboard anymore. I just got the G13 this week and I'm already selling it because I bought this and just can't get used to it. If anyone wants a barely (maybe 3-4 hours) used G13, check my FS thread. Looking forward to receiving this thing.

I will, however, be immediately removing the damned thumb stock and filling the hole with super glue, and sanding it. Don't know what the fuck that's all about. Probably for console kiddies or something.

also, I went to razer's website yesterday to get some drivers, and I noticed they have the Razer Nostromo n52 TE available. Its a N52-TE but granded raiser and i think it was double the price here.

interesting, did belkin sell the nostromo to razer?

I got in on one of these and I cannot wait to give it a try!!

if Belkin did sell off the line maybe that is why it ended up on woot...?

Got mine today. Buttons require more effort to push than my HHKB pro 2.

Palm rest seemed a bit short in length. Would have been nice for that to be adjustable. For most of you, your hands probably won't follow the contour of the palm rest. I'm not even sure the hand was meant to follow it. I really think the design was meant to have airflow going under the palm. This lets you slide your hand further back...But even in that case, the rest will still be too short for some of you.

Other than palm rest and keys that could be easier to press, I'm happy with it. I'll never go back to using my keyboard for WASD.

I just looked and FEDEX tracking said something about sending info to US postal service...WTF?

FedEx is using the post office?

Anyway, said I'd have it on the 27th

got mine via USPS too, replaced my N52 with it last night and love the blue lights that now match my pc case, keyboard, mouse, monitor and asus server leds =)

The texture of the wrist rest was a little off-putting compared to the old one (soft touch plastic, similar to some asus laptops or smartphone backs) and seems to cause hand sweat a bit faster, but nothing one can't get used to.

Wonder if the original (detachable) wrist rest will fit the new model...may have to test tonight.

Got mine today, installed the 2.1.2 drivers, no problem, rebooted, plugged it in, it was detected and worked fine... This is on Windows 7 Ultimate x64...

I then rebooted, upgraded the firmware to 1.04 and all is good...

I don't know where some of these people say they have a problem with Windows 7 64-bit... everything worked perfectly here...

I had one of these a few years ago. It seemed ok for simple fps, but for anything with rpg elements, or all-out MMORPGSs - I highly recommend you get the G13 gamepad instead. The n52te felt cramped to me personally - forcing my hand into a clawed clutch. The G13 is completely ergo for me and I can do much more with it.

The N52te worked ok for some fps. Its just not for me. I'm not saying you will be horribly disappointed with it for fps, and $35 is pretty cheap.

The stick on either this or the g13 shouldn't really be used for movement in my opinion. They are great for commonly used actions though. Thumb-slapping the stick (insert joke here) in different directions to pull up maps, inventory items, or switch weapons etc.

My palm rest comes off and has 2 positions to use it in and off for people with really small hands. Although neither may suit you though.

I never liked the D-Pad. What setup would you'll use in WoW if you had a Death Knight?

Back