Belkin Explains Why Its Routers Stopped Working

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
After 15 hours of downtime and many frustrated users, Belkin claimed victory over the issues that shut down its routers and prevented them from connecting with the Internet. The official company statement sounds like Orc mischief to me. :D

Even with this explanation, it’s a scary thought that a local networking device can be disabled or even controlled from a remote server.

please explain to me what in the hell the cloud has any damn business near a home personal router?

Yeah. What the shit. Why the fuck is this happening even a possibility?

Oops, someone found the NSA-backdoor administration interface.

This is one of those cases where it was either horrible engineering, or horrible management overriding reasonable engineering.

Either way - if this sort of inherently flawed design is allowed to ship at a company, you stay away from that company.

Unbelievable... Noted and crossed off my list!

This is one of those cases where it was either horrible engineering, or horrible management overriding reasonable engineering.

Either way - if this sort of inherently flawed design is allowed to ship at a company, you stay away from that company.

How about both? Can I have a "both"?

I've never been happier to have a Buffalo router than right now.
I'm with the conspiracy theorists on this one, Belkin users weren't really offline, their pc's and tablets were just busy getting ass-raped by the NSA, CIA and FBI.

They'd have to be working first before they could stop....
Zing!!!

Wow, this reads really bizarre. Belkin pushes firmware updates to the routers or something? I feel like this isn't being reported by someone with rudimentary techincal savvy to explain. I'm guessing Belkin routers get firmwares pushed to them occassionally to fill serious security flaws. Most users are not aware of this, yet it's a relevant thing a user should be aware of, because they could be a small business owner and this might be a huge issue. The pushed firmware update was bad and disabled the routers?

I worked out-of-town of last week. Wife called and said Internet didn't work, which isn't good because we're cord cutters. Eventually I walked her through resetting router and updating firmware. What a pain in the ass. That'd what I get got being cheap, apparent.

I've never been happier to have a Buffalo router than right now.
I'm with the conspiracy theorists on this one, Belkin users weren't really offline, their pc's and tablets were just busy getting ass-raped by the NSA, CIA and FBI.

And how do you know your Router is "safe"?

I can only assume any Belkin routers that have been DD-WRTed were ok.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/

It's OK guys, as long as your guns and ammo does not require a broadband connection, you're OK! HEHE...

I have a Bwlkin N600 DB. Never noticed anything. Weird.

Alsp Techcrunch sucks. Maybe that article wasn't terrible (can that short of a thing even be called an article anyways) but they don't deserve a visit at all imo.

please explain to me what in the hell the cloud has any damn business near a home personal router?

All your data goes to the NSA, so when they have a technical issue, they don't want you using the internet unmonitored.

Wow, this reads really bizarre. Belkin pushes firmware updates to the routers or something? I feel like this isn't being reported by someone with rudimentary techincal savvy to explain. I'm guessing Belkin routers get firmwares pushed to them occassionally to fill serious security flaws. Most users are not aware of this, yet it's a relevant thing a user should be aware of, because they could be a small business owner and this might be a huge issue. The pushed firmware update was bad and disabled the routers?

I dunno.. maybe features like a number of routers include that have malicious DNS blocking/anti phishing lists, and/or maybe dynamic IP stuff.

There has not been a day in history that I liked Belkin, but I hate them 100x as much after reading this. I hope it generates lawsuits against them which go on to be successful. It would only end up with lawyers being paid, as usual, but hopefully it could convince Belkin that this sort of thing is completely unacceptable.

Back