Believe I fried the Video Card and Soundcard need help

Kelv

Limp Gawd
This morning I booted up my computer. I think I walked away while it started. I came back and I logged in and I can't remember exactly what happened but eventually the monitor lost an input from the computer and I believe the computer shut off on its own. I had the computer on for at the most, 5 minutes. I then turn the computer back on, it seems to be having some trouble, the fans are on full blast (btw there's snow outside, it shouldn't be that warm in the computers case). Eventually I smell burning. I try switching to the bottom graphics card, since I have crossfire. I get the computer to successfully turn on and I can use the computer normally. I notice later that I can't get sound out of the soundcard. I switched back to onboard sound and its working.

Possible causes:
mobo
power supply
surge protector (I live in the Northeast where we lost power. I've been running it on a generator since sunday and we got power back on tuesday however I feel that the chance is slim since I used it all day yesterday on normal power and everything was fine.

I think its possible that the soundcard burned because of the gpu heat, however the card that is still working was between the faulty card and the soundcard.

I built this system in June. I did overclock it a couple months ago but all the clocks are stable.

I'm really clueless and I need your guys expert help:(
Btw: I bought the graphics card for 150 from Bestbuy when they first came out. Can I exchange it there? I'm probably going to have to go through the gpu make. If I can't fix the soundcard, I can't do anything with that. It's a couple years old :(.

Your sound card may have just died of old age. That doe happen. Also Visiontek has a lifetime warranty so you'll can always deal with Visiontek. Can't remember Best Buy's warranty policy at the moment

To see if the video card is defective, run Furmark or ATI Tool and see if any artifacts shows up. If there are artifacts and if you're not overclocking the video card, then the video may be damaged.

When I switched to the other card, it wasn't even recognizing crossfire anymore. I don't see how I can run furmark if I'm not getting a signal from that card. The card does light up though.

Btw the sound card is a X-Fi Platinum. I really would have screwed buying that card if it was only going to last a couple years.

I highly doubt that my sound card would die the same time of day that my video card would die. Also, what do you think was burning, the sound card or the video card?

I highly doubt that my sound card would die the same time of day that my video card would die. Also, what do you think was burning, the sound card or the video card?

Since I can't smell over the internet (not yet anyway :D), can't help you there. You're gonna have to actually sniff your video card and sound card to see which one was/is burning. Wait, so both video cards are not working? Did you try just using one video card at a time (as in the video card is physically removed from the system)?

One card is working, I switched the inputs on the back to the bottom one after I couldn't get an input from the bottom one. I'll wait for the weekend to tinker around with it.

Back