Behringer MS40 vs M-Audio AV40

i dont want them for mixing or whatever, just looking for good speakers at that price range. Need something that can give me bass on its own. im also considering AKAI RPM3, samson mediaone 4a, microlabs. its really hard to know because all i know are logitech and stuff. i probably should get edifier 2.1 but dont want a sub taking space under my feet.

I'd probably take the Behringer out of those two. Both get decent reviews, but the AV40 isn't M-Audio's best set. The legendary BX5 D2 would be my choice from their line-up, but they are pretty pricey in comparison.

I like the Behringers because they have dual TOSlink (coaxial and optical) switchable, plus analog. A nice set of inputs IMHO. This is a pretty full-featured desktop setup. I'd probably say my only reservation with that set is the way you pair the two speakers using an RCA type cable and not the typical two lead speaker wire.

I'm still sure these would kill the typical Logitech or Creative Labs setup.

If you want bass you need a sub, hoss. Any bookshelf cabinet isn't going to have much power down low, doesn't matter much who makes it.

Sub can be in a corner of the room. A lot of bookshelves can go pretty low too. I had a pair of ninja modified av123 x-ls that went down to around 36hz? I think. Regardless, I never missed the sub with those.

Depends on how much space and $$ you have.

Last edited:
i havent heard the behringer but i do own the av40. for the price that i paid for them ($60 used) i thought they were great. i have not owned any "audiophile" speakers before this purchase so i have nothing to compare them against. these speakers do have a bass boost feature but most will find it lacking.

if i were to pay retail today for them i would recommend against it. i have since upgraded my speakers to pioneer bookshelfs, lepai amp, and dayton sub. for almost the same price as the m-audios i believe this to be a better setup.

im also considering getting dayton B652 bookshelfs the cheap ones wonder if they are better. behringer and m-audio australian prices are pretty high around 200 bucks. the problem i have with bookshelfs is placement, they aint nearfield so i dont know, i want them for gaming mostly.

im also considering getting dayton B652 bookshelfs the cheap ones wonder if they are better. behringer and m-audio australian prices are pretty high around 200 bucks. the problem i have with bookshelfs is placement, they aint nearfield so i dont know, i want them for gaming mostly.

Nope. They recently changed those and they are no longer as good.

Nope. They recently changed those and they are no longer as good.

there is evidence of this? why would they make their own product bad? what would you recommend i aim for? i dont care for built in dac i have a sound card that i will be using.

from an old Hardforum thread these were the choices:
Audioengine A2: $200
M-Audio AV30: $100
M-Audio AV40: $150
Swan D1080MKII: $125
Swan M200MKII: $190 <---- best value for your money, ask me how I know. :)
Alesis M1 520: $200
Alesis M1 320: $100
JBL Control 2P: $200
Samson MediaOne 3A: $100
Edirol MA-7A BK: $100
Edirol MA-15D BK: $190
Wharfedale DP8.1A: $130
Wharfedale DP8.2A: $150
Behringer MS40: $140 <--- built-in DAC
Tascam VLA4: $150

Last edited:
okay ive narrowed the list down to these choices: