Begun the GPU pricing wars have? AMD to lower Navi prices

Well, if this is true and if AMD's performance claims hold up across the board then the Navi cards might have suddenly went from "its okay, I guess" to "worth people considering".

and nvidia also dropped prices of the regular 2070 and 2060 GPUS.. so everything remain the same, Navi it's still irrelevant at a side of RTX 2070 and 2060.

I wouldn't say Navi is irrelevant if 5700XT gets me comparable performance to a RTX 2070 Super for $100USD less.

What am I missing?

is not comparable to RTX 2070 super, it is comparable to vanilla RTX 2070 and RTX 2070 also got a price cut of 50$.. so... no difference.. AMD pressed the insta panic button and showed the desperation too early even before launch..

is not comparable to RTX 2070 super, it is comparable to vanilla RTX 2070 and RTX 2070 also got a price cut of 50$.. so... no difference.. AMD pressed the insta panic button and showed the desperation too early even before launch..
The same can be said about the Nvidia Super Im not sure what you are talking about.
They took the approach that they could lower the prices in retaliation and they did so.
Thats not panic or desperation its bussiness.

I can see AMD dropping prices couple of months down the road but I cannot see them dropping so soon to capture early adopters.

while stock lasts

Last edited:
The same can be said about the Nvidia Super Im not sure what you are talking about.
They took the approach that they could lower the prices in retaliation and they did so.
If the rumor is true, then to drop a price after announcing it about a month ago does scream desperation to me.

Eh, I'm seeing the 2070's now down to $425-430 up to $450 via pcpartpicker. Less of a premium for rtx I suppose. At least we only have till Sunday to know for sure. The debate over this being a ploy by AMD from the start or just a smart way to lower prices to compete after the Super release, probably doesn't really matter. In the end navi is likely more competititve now. That said we still have new cards that are $50-100 more expensive than they should be from both gpu makers in the mid-range or mainstream performance/price level.

AMDs released benchmarks where vs founders cards. Super and founders clocks are right around the same.... super draws a bit more power with a few extra shaders, and I'm sure it's a bit faster.

However I think we will have to wait for reliable reviews to call this one. AMD seems to have outplayed NV here a bit... using founders cards in their slides, and I think we all know the "price drop" was their intended price all along. I think NV had a refresh part and may have been a bit over confident here. As others have said if AMD is with in 5% one way or the other for $100 less that is a win.

I would've sponsored AMD with a 5700 or XT but lack of HDM2.1 is a big issue for me. Not interested in tinkering with my HTPC hardware in the least

AMDs released benchmarks where vs founders cards. Super and founders clocks are right around the same.... super draws a bit more power with a few extra shaders, and I'm sure it's a bit faster.

However I think we will have to wait for reliable reviews to call this one. AMD seems to have outplayed NV here a bit... using founders cards in their slides, and I think we all know the "price drop" was their intended price all along. I think NV had a refresh part and may have been a bit over confident here. As others have said if AMD is with in 5% one way or the other for $100 less that is a win.
Have AMD really outplayed NV? This is all speculation for now until confirmation from AMD; but if true, this is just AMD reacting to RTX Super reviews. To out play Nvidia, AMD would be best not to announcing any pricing for RX 5700 and RX 5700 at Computex. Also, it is speculation on your part to see this price drop was planned all along, neither of us except AMD know what their real plan is. And if Nvidia feel like their position is threaten by the price drop, Nvidia can also drop their price by $50 bucks to combat this and AMD is in a position back where they were.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Have AMD really outplayed NV? This is all speculation for now until confirmation from AMD; but if true, this is just AMD reacting to RTX Super reviews. To out play Nvidia, AMD would be best not to announcing any pricing for RX 5700 and RX 5700 at Computex. Also, it is speculation on your part to see this price drop was planned all along, neither of us except AMD know what their real plan is. And if Nvidia feel like their position is threaten by the price drop, Nvidia can also drop their price by $50 bucks to combat this and AMD is in a position back where they were.

Well the main advantage to announcing pricing early was to get NV to set their pricing. Perhaps... and as you say nothing is yet official anyway.

make a decision once i see benchmarks of the upcoming AMD line up.I do like the 2070 super after reading Brent Justice review.
Price drop,s are nice though

Last edited:
Well the main advantage to announcing pricing early was to get NV to set their pricing. Perhaps... and as you say nothing is yet official anyway.
Perhaps, but the cynic in me don't really see at as a huge advantage as NVidia can also easily counter by just decreasing the prices if they feel their position is threaten. I would love to see a price war between AMD and Nvidia, good for both fanbase, but I have a feeling the status quo will just remain.

Yeah, I was surprised that AMD didn't just jump the embargo date, and just lay it all on the table the same day as NVIDIA (and then they could have kept their momentum going with a same-day price cut)

After a LONG holiday weekend, hardly anyone is going to care what AMD has to offer. And it's not like they have to wait until launch day to release some teaser benchmarks (from sites that were ready, early release would have been possible Tuesday).

This is what happens when you do paper launches that take almost two months to execute. When you have no other competition (Intel? lol!), moving slowly on CPU release is fine, but NVIDIA has had these products in the market 10 months, with plenty of room to maneuver.

Last edited:

My take on it is this:

AMD has way more leeway in pricing because they have easily 3x the yield. So as rumored the 5700 series can take a $100 price drop and AMD would still be making a profit. And this may indeed be the case, because (as we all know) the 5700 series was lower mid-range card, with the 5800 and 5900 series being the upper part of the deck.

We know Nvidia is using LARGE turing chips in SUPER and they are already lasered down and and only the most cut-up chips reach gamers hands. (The rest is reserved for enterprise.)

I believe that Dr SU knew that SUPER was coming so at Computex announced only 2 cards (5700/5700x) with pricing, so that Jensen had to keep his retail price of SUPER high (In trying to anticipate Navi's real performance). Notice how AMD only released tweo cards and Jensen has only released 2 cards. So what I think is going to happen is Dr Su is going to announce the 5800 series and drop the price of the 5700 series.

Leaving AMD with the best price/performance ratio.

Good, lets hope there's performance there to justify pricing. After getting the finger from NVIDIA on pricing with the RTX launch, I'm liking how things are shaping up with price reductions and performance increases. Time to upgrade the ol' 980TI :)

My take on it is this:

AMD has way more leeway in pricing because they have easily 3x the yield. So as rumored the 5700 series can take a $100 price drop and AMD would still be making a profit. And this may indeed be the case, because (as we all know) the 5700 series was lower mid-range card, with the 5800 and 5900 series being the upper part of the deck.

We know Nvidia is using LARGE turing chips in SUPER and they are already lasered down and and only the most cut-up chips reach gamers hands. (The rest is reserved for enterprise.)

I believe that Dr SU knew that SUPER was coming so at Computex announced only 2 cards (5700/5700x) with pricing, so that Jensen had to keep his retail price of SUPER high (In trying to anticipate Navi's real performance). Notice how AMD only released tweo cards and Jensen has only released 2 cards. So what I think is going to happen is Dr Su is going to announce the 5800 series and drop the price of the 5700 series.

Leaving AMD with the best price/performance ratio.

You're dreaming, buddy. The yields for Zen 2 are much higher then Navi, because Zen 2 Chiplet is 88 mm2, while Navi is much larger at 255 mm2.

AMD is gettign fantastic yields on a small chiplet, not a full-sized GPU (including integrated GDDR6 memory controller). AMD probably can't lunch at much lower price than $400-450 (although yields should improve within 6 months, kike hey did at 14nm).

AMD is only doing this so they can stop losing money on Vega TODAY, and s their costs should fall even further as 7nm yields improve (a year later). I don't see them whipping out a serious price war this early: $50 off is about as low as they can go.

The only reason anyone still cares about this launch after Tuesday is if you want to see what the low latency game system does.

Last edited:
These announcements are already having an effect. Lowest 2XXX series card prices I have ever seen in Canada at the moment and good deals on Radeons.

Biggest cuts I've seen is $240 off a Vega 64, $200 off the more exotic 2080s, $230 off a 2080 Ti Sea Hawk.

$279 for a RX580 is really cheap for Canada too, as we pay more than just the exchange. Lots of price gouging up here.

I know that prices are still ridiculous versus 9xx series days for example ($1499-1770 range for a 2080Ti !), so I'm saying good deals relatively speaking.

These announcements are already having an effect. Lowest 2XXX series card prices I have ever seen in Canada at the moment and good deals on Radeons.

Biggest cuts I've seen is $240 off a Vega 64, $200 off the more exotic 2080s, $230 off a 2080 Ti Sea Hawk.

$279 for a RX580 is really cheap for Canada too, as we pay more than just the exchange. Lots of price gouging up here.

I know that prices are still ridiculous versus 9xx series days for example ($1499-1770 range for a 2080Ti !), so I'm saying good deals relatively speaking.

Do you have taxes calculated into the price? US stores don't have to list the actual price or something. It's what I heard at the crack house

Not instapanic. It's why they launched $50 over where they should be priced... because at that point in time they could.

Yeah, I was surprised that AMD didn't just jump the embargo date, and just lay it all on the table the same day as NVIDIA (and then they could have kept their momentum going with a same-day price cut)

After a LONG holiday weekend, hardly anyone is going to care what AMD has to offer. And it's not like they have to wait until launch day to release some teaser benchmarks (from sites that were ready, early release would have been possible Tuesday).

This is what happens when you do paper launches that take almost two months to execute. When you have no other competition (Intel? lol!), moving slowly on CPU release is fine, but NVIDIA has had these products in the market 10 months, with plenty of room to maneuver.

paper launches? Its a hard launch, paper launch is what you are wishiing they did. Reviews first and then cards later lol. Reviews, cards the same day for amd. Nvidia is the one that did paper launch. They allowed reviews on the 2nd and you can't get cards until the 9th. I guess I have done enough to define paper launch for you lol.

Not instapanic. It's why they launched $50 over where they should be priced... because at that point in time they could.

There is no such thing as price drop on 2070 and 2060. Almost everyone has said 2060 stays at 350 and 2070 is EOL. Even anandtech said it in the review. There is a reason nvidia priced 2060 super at 399, to keep 2060 where its at. Not sure why he is spreading fud.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14586/geforce-rtx-2070-super-rtx-2060-super-review

There is no such thing as price drop on 2070 and 2060. Almost everyone has said 2060 stays at 350 and 2070 is EOL. Even anandtech said it in the review. There is a reason nvidia priced 2060 super at 399, to keep 2060 where its at. Not sure why he is spreading fud.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14586/geforce-rtx-2070-super-rtx-2060-super-review
Interesting, didn't know they were dropping the 2070 and keeping 2060. Thanks for that! I was meaning the Navi price which was a little over where it should have been. I don't see it as an issue, everyone does that - if they can make another few bucks off early adopters why not... I've paid that tax a few times too.

You're dreaming, buddy. The yields for Zen 2 are much higher then Navi, because Zen 2 Chiplet is 88 mm2, while Navi is much larger at 255 mm2.

AMD is gettign fantastic yields on a small chiplet, not a full-sized GPU (including integrated GDDR6 memory controller). AMD probably can't lunch at much lower price than $400-450 (although yields should improve within 6 months, kike hey did at 14nm).

AMD is only doing this so they can stop losing money on Vega TODAY, and s their costs should fall even further as 7nm yields improve (a year later). I don't see them whipping out a serious price war this early: $50 off is about as low as they can go.

The only reason anyone still cares about this launch after Tuesday is if you want to see what the low latency game system does.

Turing is MASSIVE monolithic die. Navi is small...

Turing can fit 93 chips on a silicon wafer and Navi can fit 289 chips. Navi yields are doing extremely well and higher than expected... and we all know that Turing is low yield AND us Gamers never see a healthy Turing chip, we only get the burnt off 3rd bin chips. Again low yield.

We all knew these wafer logistics going in and what AMD's advantages are @ 7nm as the economy of scale is already known has been debated. We know that the 5700 can take a $100 hit in price and AMD is still sitting good. Also (important), think about AMD's situation with the a cut-down 5700x. The 5600 Series... and how cheaply AMD is going to be able to sell these. They are essentially throw-a-ways & yet in the market, a 5600 series can easily command $150 bucks... (What does Nvidia sell a re-burnt 2060 SUPER as..(?) a 2055 or some such thing.?)

Then what about the Radeon 5800 Series..?
The one above the 5700 series? Is Dr Su sitting on these, and going to drop a threadripper moment on us..? Or are the 5800 Series 4~6 month out? Even then, a small 64 CU Navi would be about the performance of a 2080ti in games and be only about 325mm^2 ? Which means a high-end navi for about $600 bucks. Which in all honesty would probably be called the 5900 Series, with the 5800 Series being a cut down version of the full 64 CU Navi.

Again, all of this is already known, because wafer yields and die sizes are already known. You can speculate with good precision from there. What we do not know is the actual performance or how many NAVI CU it takes to equal a 2080 SUPER just yet. But I bet AMD already knows all of this and is holding back. Dr Su is a jedi.

Last edited:
Interesting, didn't know they were dropping the 2070 and keeping 2060. Thanks for that! I was meaning the Navi price which was a little over where it should have been. I don't see it as an issue, everyone does that - if they can make another few bucks off early adopters why not... I've paid that tax a few times too.

Na nothing on you. I thought the same. I was just trying to correct his misinformation.

I thoought from beginning and have had comments in the past where I thought this price might have been to have nvidia price their card higher then 449 and they sort of had a 50 or so price cut built in already. As I thought it would have been a decent buy at 399.99. For performance halfway between vega 64 and VII.

Honestly I was saying 50 cut in a few months, but sooner the better don't mind at all.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
paper launches? Its a hard launch, paper launch is what you are wishiing they did. Reviews first and then cards later lol. Reviews, cards the same day for amd. Nvidia is the one that did paper launch. They allowed reviews on the 2nd and you can't get cards until the 9th. I guess I have done enough to define paper
launch for you lol.

Paper launch: when you announce a product in MAY, with no availability until the middle of July.

RTX Super = hard launch. You can buy next week. Navi is soft launch. We don't actually know when you will be able to buy Navi, only when the reviews go live. But even if you can bu Monday, it's still a soft launch.

Stop pretending like AMD is faultless here. Their Navi coverage has been consistently second fiddle to Zen. The prices were suspect, the "low latency" gaming thing all but untouched during the announcement. They have made no effort to introduce insider experience to show the true benefits of h the low latency gaming, to v pave over the complete lack of RTX.

What exactly did I miss there? This doesn't even have the beefcake DP performance of vii, so what's the selling point?

Last edited:
Paper launch: when you announce a product in MAY, with no availability until the middle of July.

RTX Super = hard launch. You can buy next week. Navi is soft launch. We don't actually know when you will be able to buy Navi, only when the reviews go live. But even if you can bu Monday, it's still a soft launch.

Stop pretending like AMD is faultless here. Their Navi coverage has been consistently second fiddle to Zen. The prices were suspect, the "low latency" gaming thing all but untouched during the announcement. They have made no effort to introduce insider experience to show the true benefits of h the low latency gaming, to v pave over the complete lack of RTX.

What exactly did I miss there? This doesn't even have the beefcake DP performance of vii, so what's the selling point?

They're both paper launches. You could not buy Super cards at announcement, therefor it is a paper launch. Mind you, the term is incredibly stupid when its applied to anything more than "super limited availability on launch day".

with bitcoin ramping up in price again i can only hope miners will buy loads of these then when btc drops again they'll make more liquidation videos.

man that's entertaining.

You can't really say that about the Super cards because you don't create new SKUs overnight. These were already binned cards ready for a refresh 6 months after Turings release so NVIDIA is right on schedule. AMD however clearly didn't see this coming and had to adjust their prices to reflect the 5700XTs lower performance.

AMD would have gladly bent over its loyalists to charge them high prices for a card that is essentially a midrange refresh with no raytracing. The 5700XT is a 1080 Ti equivalent (or Titan X Pascal) but 3 years late, I don't really view it as exciting one bit. If anything, it shouldn't cost more than $350.

That said, if the 2080 Super is like 10-15% slower than 2080 Ti, I'll probably cave and pick one up as I've had an itch to get RT for Cyberpunk 2077 and other games and finally retire my Titan X Pascal.

Last edited:

You don't get to redefine terms, because you don't understand them:

AMD has not released the Radeon RX 5700 Series, therefore they have not released any of the details (that you seek). You are errantly confusing a Product announcement and availability, as it's release date. Navi's Release is July 7th (7/7). THe NDA will drop and People will be able to freely discuss RDNA, etc.

Again, Navi coverage hasn't even started, you seem upset for no reason.

Last edited:
Back