Begun the AM5 Wars Have....

In addition, select AM5 mainboards will also offer M.2-22110 slots for high-capacity SSDs via an adapter, 2.5GbE, or even 10GbE connectivity.

I'd hope they'd offer at least 2.5GbE network ports. Asus put one on a $90 B450 Tuf mobo I bought a few months ago. The chips may turn out to be decently priced this time but it could be the pci-e gen 5 mobo prices that kill interest in upgrading.

I'd hope they'd offer at least 2.5GbE network ports. Asus put one on a $90 B450 Tuf mobo I bought a few months ago. The chips may turn out to be decently priced this time but it could be the pci-e gen 5 mobo prices that kill interest in upgrading.
B650 motherboards should be more reasonably priced, as they're only required to provide PCIe 5.0 support to one M.2 slot (assuming the information released a few months ago was accurate).
I'm going to wait for PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 to mature a bit before I (re)evaluate the options.

This is good tho for compulsive upgrades such as myself. I’ll be sticking to z690 for at least one more cycle if not more. Paid the early adopter fee so many times in the past. And got a headache most of the time for my hard earned dollar.
Tell me about it. I’ve almost bought the EVGA z690 classified like 4 times now that it’s 299…. A lot of mobo for the $

crosshair viii dark hero came with a 2.5 port. The only thing I dislike is no 2.0 port on the rear panel, only 3.0 and up. If my case weren't old 2.0 wouldn't exist in the system :/

AM5 MoBo specs be like

1661087095244.png

PCIe 5 sounds good, but we're still not running into any limits with 4, or very rarely with 3. Is it worth paying for the extra difficulty in design & implementation?
I am expecting to see “budget” boards GPU’s and Storage that only offer 8 GPU lanes and 2 storage lanes. Those running PCIE5 wouldn’t see any real performance differences for normal workloads over the full 16&4 configurations, and if AIB’s started releasing GPU and storage solutions that matched it would further drive costs down with almost no noticeable impact to the average consumer.

I'm glad to see that the Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme doesn't seem to be cutting corners; for the price, it shouldn't. 10Gb NIC, and my fears about USB4 have been allayed given this finally mentions that they're 40gbps ports (meaning fully compatible with the current highest end Thunderbolt, at least speedwise, and likely enabling all the other USB4 features) . Seems comparable more or less to the Z690's Maximus Extreme, so that's good - in the past sometimes the Crosshair/AMD based boards were kind of shorted compared to Intel ones on high end features. If they intend to push that high Intel price, it ought to come feature wise! I'm actually surprised there isn't a Crosshair X670E Extreme Glacial edition as well, but maybe we'll see that with the official announcement.

For the "mid-high, to extremely high" end , I've found that generally Asus ROG boards have been preferable to alternatives from AORUS (Gigabyte's ROG-like high end brand), MSI, AsRock, and the like. Compared to other products in a given tier, there was usually something about the Asus ones that made them better for the same price. Sometimes it was a relatively small thing like 1300mbps 3x3 802.11AC vs 867mbps 2x2, sometimes it was VRMs or PCB quality, sometimes it was a pretty unique feature that was a big deal for overclocking; my old Rampage V Edition 10 has an OCSocket which meant more pins than the standard Socket 2011-3 and better performance/stability. For Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, it is the only board (as far as I know) that offers Dynamic OC, where you get the best of both PBO2 and per-CCX manual OCs enabled at power/usage thresholds so you don't have to choose between either getting single/few core performance or all-core manual. Anyway, I'm curious to see what happens with the X670E and AM5 generation. With these prices I really hope these boards will last and not be overshadowed by an updated mid-cycle replacement or otherwise outmoded.

Sitting out this round of cpu/mb upgrades, but could be after a better gpu if prices continue to improve.
Having double the M.2 slots is a nice feature though.
Any motherboards in white this cycle?
/5800X3D - ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570 - Sapphire Nitro+ 6600XT

Yeah, those 670E predicted prices are insane, no doubt. The 650's and 670 regulars should be more interesting.

What motherboard level (ABC), 300, 400, 500, 600 etc.. for AM5 would support the next several years of processors? Techspot did a great article about the same mobo (Tomohawk B350) supporting Ryzen 1600 all the way up to 5600 and benchmarked them. Just flash the bios

If I were to buy a 7000 Ryzen, what mobo would last for the next half decade?

https://www.techspot.com/review/2478-amd-ryzen-5600-upgrade/

Maybe there is stuff outside bandwidth I do not know about, but some of the PCI 5.0 advantage will only show up if both the motherboard-component maker use the fewer lanes by device, that could happen.

4 GB/s at x1 his a lot of data, many harddrive would be ok with that.

What motherboard level (ABC), 300, 400, 500, 600 etc.. for AM5 would support the next several years of processors? Techspot did a great article about the same mobo (Tomohawk B350) supporting Ryzen 1600 all the way up to 5600 and benchmarked them. Just flash the bios

If I were to buy a 7000 Ryzen, what mobo would last for the next half decade?

https://www.techspot.com/review/2478-amd-ryzen-5600-upgrade/
Wait for BuildZoid to do a complete review of all of the boards after they launch

I don't want/need much beyond Bluetooth (I don't even need WiFi), a pair of m.2 slots with one having PCIE 5 support (more = nice), and a design that doesn't obstruct typical AIO coolers. I have no use for a fancy NIC, Thunderbolt, or even an audio device of any sort.

I'm glad to see that the Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme doesn't seem to be cutting corners; for the price, it shouldn't. 10Gb NIC, and my fears about USB4 have been allayed given this finally mentions that they're 40gbps ports (meaning fully compatible with the current highest end Thunderbolt, at least speedwise, and likely enabling all the other USB4 features) . Seems comparable more or less to the Z690's Maximus Extreme, so that's good - in the past sometimes the Crosshair/AMD based boards were kind of shorted compared to Intel ones on high end features. If they intend to push that high Intel price, it ought to come feature wise! I'm actually surprised there isn't a Crosshair X670E Extreme Glacial edition as well, but maybe we'll see that with the official announcement.

For the "mid-high, to extremely high" end , I've found that generally Asus ROG boards have been preferable to alternatives from AORUS (Gigabyte's ROG-like high end brand), MSI, AsRock, and the like. Compared to other products in a given tier, there was usually something about the Asus ones that made them better for the same price. Sometimes it was a relatively small thing like 1300mbps 3x3 802.11AC vs 867mbps 2x2, sometimes it was VRMs or PCB quality, sometimes it was a pretty unique feature that was a big deal for overclocking; my old Rampage V Edition 10 has an OCSocket which meant more pins than the standard Socket 2011-3 and better performance/stability. For Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, it is the only board (as far as I know) that offers Dynamic OC, where you get the best of both PBO2 and per-CCX manual OCs enabled at power/usage thresholds so you don't have to choose between either getting single/few core performance or all-core manual. Anyway, I'm curious to see what happens with the X670E and AM5 generation. With these prices I really hope these boards will last and not be overshadowed by an updated mid-cycle replacement or otherwise outmoded.

At it's price the Extreme should check every box possible. I'm more interested in how much it'll cost to get 10GBE support, either built in or via a card; and if that price will also be forward capable with 40gb USB4 ports or not.

What's offered for front panel IO will be a consideration, but since I'll probably be replacing my 4x 3.0A + audio jacks front panel adapter I can be more flexible there.

Who actually has the gear and house wired for 10gb?
I bought a NAS with a slot for a 10gbe card, and intend to upgrade my router (or add a switch) to 10gb to go with the desktop I'll be building later this year. Initially those will be my only 10gb capable devices, but set up to expand more later.

I do. Have a 10GB Card in the Server (running at 5), My Den and Front Room Rigs are running 5GB cards. Whole house can do 2.5GB. Front Room, Server and Den can do 10GB but I need some quality NICs before I do that again. Kinda Pointless actually, my Array can't sustain a transfer past 5GB/s and it struggles to do that. Sustains around 200-300Megs per second. I tried M.2 to M.2 transfers over 5GB connections and even that failed to max out the connection in real world testing. It would burst and then drop off almost completely. Kinda figured that would be my "holy grail" for file Xfers but it was shit compared to transferring to and from my ancient RAID5 Array off an OLD Adaptec Controller (Which Bursts around 450-500 Megs a second).

My Main Netgear Switch only supports two 10 Gig Connections, two 5 Gig connections and a couple 2.5 Gig connections. I haven't paid attention to whether or not the switching hardware has come down in price or become more uniform on the ports. For a long time it hadn't budged and I gave up looking. Just Checked, nothing has changed

I ran CAT7 for the 10 GB connections, and high quality CAT6 for the rest. I wouldn't recommend the CAT7, its a bastard to work with and terminating it was nightmare fuel with the high end Keystone Jacks I picked up.

Last edited:
i do. Not talking about a switch with two or four 10g uplinks either.

IMO, 10G should become the gigabit replacement. If they are putting 2.5g or 5g nics on there then it can do 10g since 2.5g and 5g is 10g cut in half or quarters.

Last edited:
i do. Not talking about a switch with two or four 10g uplinks either.

IMO, 10G should become the gigabit replacement. If they are putting 2.5g or 5g nics on there then it can do 10g since 2.5g and 5g is 10g cut in half or quarters.
I thought the 2.5 and 5g standards were newer than and not back compatible with older 10g hardware.

I thought the 2.5 and 5g standards were newer than and not back compatible with older 10g hardware.
10G isnt officially compatible with NBASE-T but ive seen it stepped down unofficially. Officially NBASE-T does include 10G but i have seen very little of this.
1661368714941.png

My Main Netgear Switch only supports two 10 Gig Connections, two 5 Gig connections and a couple 2.5 Gig connections. I haven't paid attention to whether or not the switching hardware has come down in price or become more uniform on the ports. For a long time it hadn't budged and I gave up looking. Just Checked, nothing has changed
You running the 510TXM? I have the 510TX and did a noctua swap in to deal with the noise. Man have they become very expensive. I paid about 250 for the TX 2 years ago, wish I'd picked up two...

You running the 510TXM? I have the 510TX and did a noctua swap in to deal with the noise. Man have they become very expensive. I paid about 250 for the TX 2 years ago, wish I'd picked up two...
I have the TX. Just saw the TXM when I started digging around again. Yeah, I saw the prices have gone up, not down. I paid about the same for mine and I also got mine 2-3 years ago. I don't notice the fan whine as I installed it in an IDF cabinet in my laundry room. Looks like the only seemingly affordable, true, 10G Switch is a TP Link One with 8 Ports of 1G/2.5G/5G/10G on it sitting around 400 Bucks. There's a GBIC model from them for 250, but by the time you get all the 10G over Copper GBICs you're gonna spend the same if not more (400+). Now if you're running 10G Fiber, GBICs, it's a different story... Much Cheaper.

Back on topic,

Grain of Salt Zone

I heard a rumor that Ryzen 7000 with 3D Cache is probably closer than we think. However, as I had predicted, it's not necessarily going to come out until Intel Launches their 13th Gen Parts. AMD may tease a launch of them before the end of the year though.

Also heard that the 3D Cache on he new 7000 Series offers a much larger boost to the 5nm parts than was gained from the 5000 series. Something like a 30% boost.

I've seen rumors of a CES announcement, possible launch along with mainstream parts.
I hadn't seen those, I had seen a couple Youtubers discussing it. That's why I'm treating it as unverified rumor atm.

I'm really interested to see what they will price the 3D Stacked Cache parts this go around at. I might be sitting out this round of upgrades, yet it doesn't mean I'm no longer interested in the tech.

I'm really interested to see what they will price the 3D Stacked Cache parts this go around at.

Me too. I'm sure they'll squeeze out all the cash they can, but from what I've heard (all rumors, too) that the new cache system isn't one generation ahead, it's two generations ahead. AMD doesn't need to have as much cache as they added with the old X3D parts to get the same kind of performance increase.

My gut tells me they're going to use less cache and try for a more compelling price point, but it's entirely possible they load it to the max and sell it for even more. Maybe they could even do both.

Citing an inside source who's said to have been a reliable leaker, Moore's Law Is Dead reports that Zen 4 X3D will have about 30% more performance than regular Zen 4, when both are locked to the same TDP. He also says that AMD is hurrying its release, potentially up to Q1 2023, so that it can help compete with Raptor Lake.

I'm guessing there won't be much in the way of mobo refinements between Zen 4 and Zen X3D's launches, outside of BIOS updates.

What would early adopter's tax apply to, in this case? AMD worked out some kinks with Zen 1 and 2, Zen 4 is like a refined Zen 3, with marginally higher IPC and higher clocks. And the Zen 4 X3D v-cache is already a (apparently major) refinement of Zen 3 X3D's. So, I'd guess that stuff is out of its early adoption phase.

Will DDR5 and PCIE5 support really get better from the first mobos that support it? What else does the EA tax apply to, with Zen 4?

Back