Before you get desperate and go to eBay.

I always find it a little bit frustrating that buyers want to take advantage of the entire benefit of avoiding ebay/paypal fees and tell sellers to drop their price even more (even though the item is already priced below eBay). Sellers deserve some of that benefit as well.

Agreed. But at the same time I think people need to learn how to haggle. Just because somebody low balls on the first offer doesn't mean they aren't willing to meet in the middle. Especially, when the money is there ready to spend and the difference is only about $10...

I'm sure most of us have seen an episode of pawn stars...

Agreed. But at the same time I think people need to learn how to haggle. Just because somebody low balls on the first offer doesn't mean they aren't willing to meet in the middle. Especially, when the money is there ready to spend and the difference is only about $10...

I'm sure most of us have seen an episode of pawn stars...

i haven't, but i have a buddy who specializes in the watching of pawn stars.

I typically sell for below what I would get on ebay here because I'd much rather interact and deal with this community. out of my 100+ deals only 1 time a problem arose. Buyer said the mouse wasn't working right and wanted to send it back (buyers remorse 100%). I got it back and tried it out and sold it the next day. I feel like this process would have been 5x worse dealing with ebay

I always find it a little bit frustrating that buyers want to take advantage of the entire benefit of avoiding ebay/paypal fees and tell sellers to drop their price even more (even though the item is already priced below eBay). Sellers deserve some of that benefit as well.
On the other hand, as a seller you have a bit more latitude than you do with Ebay. How many stories have you heard about "the buyer bought something, got a refund, and kept the item"? Ebay is very buyer oriented, so if someone gets screwed, more often than not it ends up being the seller. By selling on the forum, you get buyers with a vested interest in the community, so they're less likely to ruin their name in an effort to screw you over.

So yeah, you make a bit less as a seller, but you have more peace of mind. As a buyer, I give up a level of protection (or two levels with some sellers that demand non-paypal sales), but I'm still expected to pay pretty much the same prices?

I've purchased from this forum before, but its usually older hardware. I'm not going to pay Ebay prices to receive protection only slightly higher than Craigslist. If I do decide to sell, its going to be on a forum or locally.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
On the other hand, as a seller you have a bit more latitude than you do with Ebay. How many stories have you heard about "the buyer bought something, got a refund, and kept the item"? Ebay is very buyer oriented, so if someone gets screwed, more often than not it ends up being the seller. By selling on the forum, you get buyers with a vested interest in the community, so they're less likely to ruin their name in an effort to screw you over.

So yeah, you make a bit less as a seller, but you have more peace of mind. As a buyer, I give up a level of protection (or two with some sellers that demand non-paypal sales), but I'm still expected to pay pretty much the same prices?

I've purchased from this forum before, but its usually older hardware. I'm not going to pay Ebay prices for protection only slightly higher than Craigslist. If I do decide to sell, its going to be on a forum or locally.

Exactly. I've been burned selling on eBay because I wanted more money, only to get totally screwed in the end.

I've sold over a hundred itesm on eBay recently with no issues. I haven't heard any stories like what you mentioned. I'm sure they exist. My point is that if there's benefits to both buyers and sellers here, then the benefits should be shared.

I've sold over a hundred itesm on eBay recently with no issues. I haven't heard any stories like what you mentioned. I'm sure they exist. My point is that if there's benefits to both buyers and sellers here, then the benefits should be shared.

Selling any other than technical things sure.

I favorite one was the r9 290x I sold and the guy filed a paypal claim only for him to figure out weeks later that it was his weak psu that couldn't run the card...

Keep in mind too that you are way less likely to get scammed here. I sold a processor on ebay last month and the guy said i sent him the wrong processor. It was literally impossible as i never had the processor he said i sent him in my possession. I just ended up taking the hit on that because how can i prove he is lying. Ebay can be shady as hell.

Keep in mind too that you are way less likely to get scammed here. I sold a processor on ebay last month and the guy said i sent him the wrong processor. It was literally impossible as i never had the processor he said i sent him in my possession. I just ended up taking the hit on that because how can i prove he is lying. Ebay can be shady as hell.

Yeah, most people here, especially those who have been here for a while, are not going to be so willing to throw away their well-earned reputation just to screw you out of a few bucks. :)

Yeah, most people here, especially those who have been here for a while, are not going to be so willing to throw away their well-earned reputation just to screw you out of a few bucks. :)

Yeah, the only time I returned a defective item here, I paid for the shipping back, just to keep it fair.

Back