Before you buy 7900, did you read the part about shimmering?

i have a 7800gtx and i have never observed a shimmering issue. i guess if i looked hard enough i could find it but i bought the card to play games not to try and find fault with it.

pandora's box said:
same thing here. made a fraps video of bf2 yesterday. had 8xssaa 16xaf and a clamped lod bias. the video had no aa applied, and there was shimmering everywhere, yet in the game there was none at all.
I re-recorded a couple of videos with BF2 @ 1024x768 so FRAPS can record it at native resolution. It looks much better now. I'm uploading the videos now, but it will take a while since they are big (27MB and 41MB) and I have a slow upstream speed.

edit: video number 1 (27MB)
edit2: video number 2 (41MB)

BTW, these are in Quality driver setting on a 7800GT, not HQ setting.

rhexis said:
i have a 7800gtx and i have never observed a shimmering issue. i guess if i looked hard enough i could find it but i bought the card to play games not to try and find fault with it.
what an ignorant thing to say. there are plenty of people that see it without having to look for it. high quality and lod clamp help make it almost a non issue for most people. the type of monitor has an impact on how bad it is. if you dont see it then thats great but saying others are just trying to find fault with their card is ridiculous .

HopePoisoned said:
he didn't even understand what ghosting was
There is a difference from knowing what it is and not seeing it. I use CRT's 99% of the time. I used a LCD once for gaming for 2 days and noticed no ghosting (and I was expecting it). The experience has made me, a CRT ******, want to get an LCD. If it doesn't effect gameplay or isn't even noticable, what is the problem?

Most LCD's made recently have little to no ghosting. For someone that uses CRTs probably exclusively, to say they didn't see ghosting is really a compliment to the advances of LCD tech.

havent noticed it until hardocp started using the "marching ants" when using WoW to evaluate cards, now i notice it every once in a while and i still dont care, its not necessarily ugly or anything not to me at least.

I personally haven't seen any shimmering in any game besides WoW. When I'm running down a road for 5 minutes, yeah I notice it. But when I'm in an AV game of 40 vs 40, shimmering tends to be the last thing I notice, if i notice it at all :p.

I think shimmering depends on the repetition of the textures. Notice places like the cobblestone roads in WoW (which is highly repetitive), exhibits the most shimmering. But in more random areas (like in Feralas, for example), it's less noticeable. WoW is pretty strange in terms of the way they made the graphics. From an overhead view, everything looks beautifully randomized, yet there's an obvious pattern EVERYWHERE as if they stuck a bunch of square tiles on the surface of the land.

trek554 said:
what an ignorant thing to say. there are plenty of people that see it without having to look for it. high quality and lod clamp help make it almost a non issue for most people. the type of monitor has an impact on how bad it is. if you dont see it then thats great but saying others are just trying to find fault with their card is ridiculous .

plenty eh? any idea how many nvidia cards are out there in the wild? i would venture to guess its in the 100s of thousands. out of all those cards being out there i have read reports from less than 50 people complaining of shimmering. in the grand scheme of things that is hardly plenty. the fact of the matter is the ones complaining about shimmering are either ati trolls or anal-retentive hardware geeks that spend more time benchmarking than playing games.

I see there is already a mob forming over beyond jow blow expectations of computer hardware.... on an enthusiast site.

gg.... only you lose. Better luck next time. It's a video card forum. I'm sure there are forums on what all the "cool" kids are doing. rather than the anal-retentive hardware geeks.

:eek:

rhexis said:
the fact of the matter is the ones complaining about shimmering are either ati trolls or anal-retentive hardware geeks that spend more time benchmarking than playing games.
I have an ATI X800XL and I have shimmering. It's not like it bothers me though. I've been gaming a long time and could care less about stuff like that.

*Watches Movie*

*THAT* is shimmering? Oh god... I truely had no idea... I... actually kinda liked it. I always figured it was just a "part" of gaming lol...

rhexis said:
plenty eh? any idea how many nvidia cards are out there in the wild? i would venture to guess its in the 100s of thousands. out of all those cards being out there i have read reports from less than 50 people complaining of shimmering. in the grand scheme of things that is hardly plenty. the fact of the matter is the ones complaining about shimmering are either ati trolls or anal-retentive hardware geeks that spend more time benchmarking than playing games.

Yes, because you have read all the shimmering threads. By assuming that there are 100,000 nv 6 and 7 cards out there you would need to assume there are alot more shimmering threads than you have read. Then you need to assume that many people aren't bothered by it but it still exists. Fact is, the IQ is inferior no matter how small of an issue (for some) it is. Whether or not people are bothered by it is subjective, whether or not it is inferior isn't.

I just moved from an x700pro to an 7600gt, and I noticed the shimmering (without looking for it) right away in the source stress test. That being said, I dont notice it when Im actually gaming, but overall to me nVidia gets my vote for competative FPS and ATI gets my vote for overall IQ.

rhexis said:
another ignorant comment. its not like there are thousands of people to even make a comment in these forums. what percentage of nvidia card owners even belong to or visit forums anyway. some people dont play any of the games where shimmering is obvious. some people use the known fixes to help elimanate it. a lot of people dont have large monitors where shimmering would more noticeable. if you dont have a problem with it then stf up because there are enough people with legitimate complaints that it should be fixed. most people complaining about shimmering are actually nvidia fans not ati trolls. the people that love their nvidia cards would like the problem fixed.

rhexis said:
only the anal-retentive, no life outside of video card benchmarking, people such as yourself. hey let me guess...the word ignorant was on your jr high spelling test this week huh?
actually im 34 and trying to insult me doesnt help anything. why does it bother you so much that thousands of people have an iq issue with nvidia? if you dont have a problem with shimmering and cant add anything constructive then stay out of the thread.

trek554 said:
actually im 34 and trying to insult me doesnt help anything. why does it bother you so much that thousands of people have an iq issue with nvidia? if you dont have a problem with shimmering and cant add anything constructive then stay out of the thread.

Qft. As stated, the problem is subjective. It begs the question, since he says it's not noticeable and or doesn't matter why buy a fast video card at all? When $99 video cards can play the game at low res low details.

rhexis said:
why did you remove the cursing? did you realize that swearing at me doesnt really help prove your point? regardless, you need to cool your jets cochise. you are getting yourself all worked up over nothing. oh and from reading your posts i dont think you have an iq issue with nvidia. perhaps just an iq issue. :rolleyes:
what cursing? stop trolling.

I suggest that you all just address the issues and leave out the personalities or face the consequences.

I had the opportunity to observe 7900GT and X1900XTX side by side Notice I said 7900GT not GTX and I noticed similar shimmering on both. This did it for me. I knew then that I was gonna get 7900GTX SLi. The performance was on par with eachother, but the heat, loud fan, Crossfire lack of performance compared to SLi and the fact that they both shimmer made me lean towards nvidia this time yet again. If Crossfire looked more attractive I would have went with them.

ATI does have less shimmering as in it happens in less games. When it does happen it is just as easy to notice. They also get the nod for slightly better image quality notice the emphasis on slightly

I'm not very sensitive to the shimmering but I have seen it as a friend pointed it out to me. In the end it's nvidia's silence, temperatures, and driver program SLI stability and performance that won them my hard earned $$$

Shimmering is the #1 reason I sold my GTX's, and went with X1900's. I simply had enough, and now that ATi has cards that compete, and surpass my GTX's, they're gone. Selling my 1 month old A8N32-SLI too, if anyone is interested... got a AR832-MVP on the way.

Shimmering to me is a huge problem, as I am on a 2405FPW. Its not a huge problem to most people, as most dont use a large screen, or a high resolution. But to some people, such as myself, it is a huge problem.

Sadly, this has been unmentioned in the past few years. The [H] is the only review I have ever seen it mentioned, and its about time.

Read the article, not everyone does notice it. People with higher resolutions, bigger monitors, and LCD's notice it more. The 2405FPW is all of those, and to me, shimmering is easily noticed on it.

fallguy said:
Read the article, not everyone does notice it. People with higher resolutions, bigger monitors, and LCD's notice it more. The 2405FPW is all of those, and to me, shimmering is easily noticed on it.

Actually, I find the opposite to be true...

Anyway, I am tired of people acting like shimmering is a Nvidia only problem. I have a 7800 gt and I don't notice shimmering whatsoever once I turn on HQ , AA and AF. However, at a LAN party I noticed my friend with his x800 gets horrible shimmering, especially in WoW.

How is the opposite true? You think people with small CRT's, that run in a low resolution see it more? Sorry, thats not the case.

True, its on both cards. However, its worse on NV cards. I didnt say its a NV only problem, but as I have said for several months, and now [H], its worse on NV cards. If you dont notice it, thats great for you. Some of us do, and its very annoying.

dagon11985 said:
Actually, I find the opposite to be true...

Anyway, I am tired of people acting like shimmering is a Nvidia only problem. I have a 7800 gt and I don't notice shimmering whatsoever once I turn on HQ , AA and AF. However, at a LAN party I noticed my friend with his x800 gets horrible shimmering, especially in WoW.

Well, I'm tired of people acting like the two manufacturers are on equal footing here. Mind you we are talking about the NEW cards here. I'm not so sure the x800 doesn't also have angle dependent aniso hardwired into the hardware (like Nv) also. They weren't forth coming about shutting it off anyhow.

Don't worry. You can still prefer Nv anyways. :) But the filtering is not as good period. I wouldn't sell you on crossfire getting better frames than SLI, so don't delude yourself either. It might be hard for appples to apples, but Opt vrs. Opts... less shimmering ATi. As pure as possible... still better filtering by ATi. Completely angle independant AF for the first time in quite awhile, bust out a magnifying glass if you want. The first article on shimmering had GF2's getting better aniso than at the time current ATi and Nv cards. Because they both had slowly bastardized aniso a little bit, by including more and more opts. ATi is the only one that CAN do relatively pure aniso anymore. They "fixed" it by actually giveing the hardware the ability to do it in the first place. If they hadn't, GF2 FTfilteringW! :p

Maybe it goes down in Ultra Quality but we are still going to talk about it. Under these conditions, the results also flip flop quite a bit as the ATi card has simply less agressive aniso opts the whole time, at tit for tat settings. ATi x1900 barely shimmers at default, nevermind you can make it nearly impossible with little hit.

Age of Empires 3: Snow Textures very noticable

This is one of the only games I can really remember seeing some very strong shimmering. Though, you can easily turn it off in the graphics tab. But, come on really folks it's not the graphics card it's the software and driver settings that cause this to happen and it can be altered. I have seen it happen on both x1900 from ati and the 7800 and 7900 series from nvidia. I mean thanks for the warning, but stop trying to make it sound like it's a world crisis. This type of thing is just a part of life.

I am considering getting a 7900GT card for my new rig. I use 19" CRT that goes to 1280x1024, so as long as I can run with high quality at this resolution Ill be happy. There is quite a price difference between the 7900GT and the X1900XT. Is the IQ difference really that big? A 7900GT costs around 400$ here, and a X1900XT costs 580$. Thats 50% more... I wonder if it is really worth it? 1800XTs are about the same price so that is not an option.

Back