Before I move to windows 8

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay............I think it is time for me to try it. Although 7 is beautiful, but the lust to try new stuff is just strong. I know about the different opinions when it comes to 8's GUI and its new design but I can see that it is no brainer to avoid METRO and just go old style and still get what's better in 8.

Should I upgrade my 7 install or do a fresh one? It is of course better to do a fresh one, but did anybody have issues with upgrading? What I'm telling myself is : If there won't be any real issues and METRO can be easily avoided, then I better off keep my installed programs and take advantage of the improved things in 8.

What do you think?

Or should I create a temp environment to try it out in and then decide?

And what is the best edition to get? Win 8 pro I guess?

Thanks.

Temp environment is always the best way to proceed; but of course almost none of us do that. That said, I've been burned enough by "upgrades" in the past that I don't even bother anymore; clean install. Maybe that's a dated bias that is no longer relevant, who knows. What I *DO* know is that I don't have program problems on a fresh install.

Windows8 does have some decent under the hood improvements, so as long as you avoid the ModernUI, I'm sure you'll like it.

Been using it for a few weeks fulltime now. It is really good so far...all my stuff plays great. If you miss the start menu, go with start is back.

I hate posts that start with the answer and then go on and on

You said it is time to try it. So try it. Migrating your stuff is separate. Ever hear of a backup or a disk image or a virtual machine? You could be running windows 8 for months now with no effect on your stuff. You could install an upgrade to your stuff with no effect on your stuff.

Its time to try it, so try it, JXCIISICJIDIFKDJDDJ

yip, its fine I guess, you can use classic shell to bring back the start button and you basically have windows 7 all over again.

i just signed up (again, lost my old username a long time ago), so i feel like weighing in, sorry if I offend....

i think its stupid that the start menu code was completely removed. like they have something against the people that used PC's for years
for that reason, i am very hesitant to get it until win7 is entirely unsupported, and maybe by then there will be win9 with a start menu again

win8 is a devolution of PC usability and an evolution to tablets in a sense, the way I see it if you don't have a touchscreen monitor why bother.
...and on that note, i think my next upgrade will be a touchscreen for my desktop and win8 :) ...maybe

I hate posts that start with the answer and then go on and on

You said it is time to try it. So try it. Migrating your stuff is separate. Ever hear of a backup or a disk image or a virtual machine? You could be running windows 8 for months now with no effect on your stuff. You could install an upgrade to your stuff with no effect on your stuff.

Its time to try it, so try it, JXCIISICJIDIFKDJDDJ

Sorry if I annoyed you.

IMHO If you're switching from Windows 7 to 8 just do a complete fresh install of 8 and try to forget about 7. If you keep 7 on your machine your going to be kicking yourself. Windows 8 is good (as long as you don't compare it and just get used to it)

Do you enjoy using your computer? If you do then windows 8 is not for you.

Really though. While upgrade worked for me at first I then ran into a issue with installing Windows Media Pro Pack. To fix that I did a clean install. Ok....barely three weeks later almost 400MB of updates from MS comes out, tried to install those and to computer fails to get through the boot process after installing those updates. I did system restore to rollback but couldn't find the culprit of why it was happening. Did a "reset" of windows 8 to fix that which was like doing a clean install all over again. I don't know what the hell I could of done in 3 weeks to make updates not work, not like there is anything other than firefox/winamp/steam installed. I was reading something about ccleaner being a possible cause of failing, or I would guess maybe Start8 caused it?!?

My word of advice is wait for SP1 or hell, maybe even SP2 before using 8! They shipped this OS in alpha state ;)

My word of advice is wait for SP1 or hell, maybe even SP2 before using 8! They shipped this OS in alpha state ;)

I'm sure this has been said a thousand times already, but after using Windows 8 for my htpc for a couple of weeks, Windows 8 is to a good operating system what Vista was to Windows 7. It's appearance is clean, but they missed the boat on functionality. Sure, I don't get BSODs (or RSODs for early adopters), but it just feels klunky without a touchscreen interface.

Also, as somebody already mentioned, the Start menu thing is annoying as hell. It's with good reason that most of us never enabled the auto hide function for the task bar.

All that said, go ahead and try it. It's cheap, you can get Pro with Media Center for about 40 bucks, and it stands to reason that it may get better. Worse case scenario, you hate it and you are out 40 bucks. But given that most of us build computers for the fun of it, 40 bucks is a drop in the proverbial bucket.

AFAIK there will not be SP's anymore for Windows (which is bullshit as I hate downloading hundreds of minor updates).

When upgrading to a new OS (even a PoS OS like Windows 8) it's best to do a clean installation.

Back