Been using and learning Winddows on and over for at least 20 years....

I haven't got a clue to be honest. I haven't done any benchmark comparisons to see. I would be surprised though, at least for gaming. Usually games on Linux are not very heavily threaded because OpenGL is poor at it so I would expect better usage of my 8 cores on Windows for games. Professional stuff such as photo/video editing, number crunching, etc might be a different story.

Black Mesa runs OGL as far as I'm aware and multi core performance seemed exceptional on my hex core Xeon machine, I'm not too sure just what Manofgod is on about?

MkJ06cZh.png

Your scan literally proved how insecure it is!

Now consider the average user with absolutely no clue whatsoever no matter how much you try to educate them.

Chrome is targeted as it's now more popular than IE, the payload was not injected via any weakness on behalf of Chrome, the payload was installed by you - The expert user. Your denial is fucking adorable.

9 issues in 8 years screams insecure to you? Tell that to the 143 million affected users after the last hack and I'm sure they were using Linux servers ;)

9 issues in 8 years screams insecure to you? Tell that to the 143 million affected users after the last hack and I'm sure they were using Linux servers ;)

Your talking about personal experience. In the last 8 years I haven't had any of my Linux systems compromised. So whats the point.

Claiming windows is more secure then Linux is just silly. Would I tell my parents to go ahead and do their personal banking on a windows machine with no 3rd party firewall and malware/virus scanners. Fuck no. Would I tell them to ahead and do that on a Linux box I have setup for them with kernel level Linux firewalls running... ya go right ahead.
As for equafax... ya stupid companies run by morons are always going to be an issue. They got breached because they where to stupid to spend the money rolling out updates. Had they been run by competent people it wouldn't have happened.

Your talking about personal experience. In the last 8 years I haven't had any of my Linux systems compromised. So whats the point.

Claiming windows is more secure then Linux is just silly. Would I tell my parents to go ahead and do their personal banking on a windows machine with no 3rd party firewall and malware/virus scanners. Fuck no. Would I tell them to ahead and do that on a Linux box I have setup for them with kernel level Linux firewalls running... ya go right ahead.
As for equafax... ya stupid companies run by morons are always going to be an issue. They got breached because they where to stupid to spend the money rolling out updates. Had they been run by competent people it wouldn't have happened.

Exactly my point does this entire thing. Under a competent person Windows can be used as a daily PC.

Black Mesa runs OGL as far as I'm aware and multi core performance seemed exceptional on my hex core Xeon machine, I'm not too sure just what Manofgod is on about?

MkJ06cZh.png

ManofGod wasn't "on about" anything. He stated that Linux is BETTER on an FX9590. Simmonz stated he thought otherwise.

Your blinders are showing.

Exactly my point does this entire thing. Under a competent person Windows can be used as a daily PC.

And yet the bulk of Windows users aren't competent and never will be no matter how much you try to educate them. Hence the issue.

Now compound the issue with the fact that Windows has to be dumbed down for the masses in the name of convenience and you have the proverbial cesspool.

ManofGod wasn't "on about" anything. He stated that Linux is BETTER on an FX9590. Simmonz stated he thought otherwise.

Your blinders are showing.

Ohhh, Nasty! Settle down there champ. ;)

Last edited:

There's registry keys pointing to PUP's that have been removed! Did that software remove itself?

Hack? What hack? Hacks are usually the result of social engineering, I'm talking about PUP's, malware and software that damages the underlying OS it should never have access to.

Reactions: ChadD
like this

MkJ06cZh.png

Take the time to actually read the thread! LOL, I say something positive and you still go on like someone slapped your child. :D

I get your point I simply disagree. If equafax was running on windows servers I can guarantee you they would have been breached long ago. They got breached because they ignored major security issues. Of course Linux BSD Windows it doesn't mater people will find security flaws, but if they are found fixed and companies with important valuable info such as equafax are too dense to update or at the very least quarantine public facing code that is effected... yes its their own damn fault of course.

I guess at the end of the day Windows VS Linux it depends what type of issues you want to have to deal with. I have helped or tried to help plenty of people switching from windows both in my daily work life, and here and other online forums ect. For power users looking to do X of Y... ya they will have to learn how to do it in Linux. For rare use cases they may even have to do a bit of digging to solve an issue. Those users could stick with Windows sure and know how to do the basics and even be better equipped to figure out more advanced things without having to ask for help... but I KNOW that at some point they are going to have to deal with malware or worse. Its just the way it is with windows. Any "power user" windows type that claims to never have had to deal with malware or viruses is full of it... or they deal with machines never connected to the internet and other outside sources of software.

Just being computer savvy isn't going to help you at all when the next big worm / virus / root kit drops that isn't properly patched yet. The chances of that same thing happening to you running Linux is very close to zero. For an exploit to really truly mess with a Linux system it has to be extremely targeted, to bypass Linux natural file permission segmentation, and kernel level protections.... which is why most Linux server hacks you hear about involve a lot of social engineering, or companies stupid enough to be running months old known security holes.

I guess there haven't been any worm/virus/root kits in the last 8 years. You guys are right, I am just crazy ;)

I guess there haven't been any worm/virus/root kits in the last 8 years. You guys are right, I am just crazy ;)

Under Linux there's been exploits, like Dirty Cow, but these exploits are usually limited in effectiveness due to the difficulty of getting them to the kernel in the first place due to the effectiveness of Linux security measures, and they're usually patched quite quickly as soon as word gets out...

...Unlike WannaCry under Windows.

The point you missed is that there is evidence of PUP's that have been removed from your system, so this idea of never having used any form of malware or virus protection in the past eight years holds no credibility. Install something as simple as Malwarebytes and Windows Defender is disabled in the exact way highlighted in your screenshots.

No virus or malware protection whatsoever for eight years my ass.

Last edited:
Under Linux there's been exploits, like Dirty Cow, but these exploits are usually limited in effectiveness due to the difficulty of getting them to the kernel in the first place due to the effectiveness of Linux security measures, and they're usually patched quite quickly as soon as word gets out...

The point you missed is that there is evidence of PUP's that have been removed from your system, so this idea of never having used any form of malware or virus protection in the past eight years holds no credibility.

You keep saying that, but where is your evidence? Nowhere in those pictures does it say anything about previous scans or PUP removal. You are making things up in your head and it is getting pretty pathetic.. see below.

Do you want a hug? :)

Ever read the story 'Boy Who Cried Wolf'?

What about the story of the boy who cried wolf? It has literally NOTHING to do with ManofGod's replies here. He asked another user if they felt their CPU was faster in Linux because he had heard that it was. The user said he didn't think so because he felt it wasn't using all the cores of his cpu because of OpenGL. You come in from left field and blame MoG without even reading the thread. Maybe you ought to make sure who is posting BEFORE clicking the quote button and replying to the wrong people?

You are starting to unhinge and it isn't nearly as entertaining as I expected it to be. You never answer posts coherently anymore, you quote the wrong people and reply with the same post over and over, even if it isn't pertinent. You keep interjecting Linux or Windows into arguments where they were never mentioned. You need a serious break from here before you go completely mad.

You keep saying that, but where is your evidence? Nowhere in those pictures does it say anything about previous scans or PUP removal. You are making things up in your head and it is getting pretty pathetic.. see below.

I'm making things up? Where do you think the registry keys came from and where's the removed software associated with the registry keys in the scan results? At some stage in the past the PUP's associated with those registry keys were removed and the package didn't remove the associated keys.

You did a malware scan as a result of my comment in an attempt to prove a point and there was shit on your PC, furthermore you were in no way confident from the beginning that there wouldn't be shit on your PC - Why are you still arguing?

You're clinging onto my reply to a comment made by one of the most notorious trolls on [H] almost like some desperate attempt to manipulate the discussion in order to make me shoulder some sort of blame? Good job at missing my point earlier. Let it go, chill and have a beer. You're arguing for the sake of arguing now.

Last edited:
You need a serious break from here before you go completely mad.

Mad?!

I'm laughing my ass off while enjoying a beer, I don't give a crap about anything in this thread, it's a piss take as a result of your mate's posting in the Linux sub forum!

I don't need a break, I'm having a blast!

Last edited:

Tell that to the 143 million daily new infections that happen on Windows. The figure is probably way higher though.

One of my linux virtual machines got hacked a couple of years ago. It might have something to do with the fact that it had the user name test and password test (I was troubleshooting a problem and I got really tired, left it even running on the default port 22). I received a message from the national bureau of information technologies quite quickly after it became a part of a botnet. Naturally I had detected and destroyed the machine already before the message.

But with the automated attack scripts scanning the net it didn't take long for it to be breached by brute force.

Tell that to the 143 million daily new infections that happen on Windows. The figure is probably way higher though.

Wow, you pulled that number out of your butt, I see. Also, I recall suggesting that Linux based web servers should provide a way to help mitigate infections from spreading across the internet. LOL, I recall the response to that since you all claimed it is not the responsibility of those servers to do that, despite the fact that you all claim they are the majority of servers on the internet. :D LOL

Wow, you pulled that number out of your butt, I see. Also, I recall suggesting that Linux based web servers should provide a way to help mitigate infections from spreading across the internet. LOL, I recall the response to that since you all claimed it is not the responsibility of those servers to do that, despite the fact that you all claim they are the majority of servers on the internet. :D LOL

As we argued then... the issue is not that it isn't their responsibility, and it really isn't. Its that they don't have the legal right to do so >.< Unless you are suggesting your ISP get copies of all your https ssl certs ect. Websites that transmit data in the clear... do in fact get scanned by many ISPs. Encrypted ones do not.... even if legally it wasn't an issue. Do you really want servers between you and what you are doing scanning everything you are doing online ? Oh yes please lets have all the worlds ISPs scanning everyones online activity and logging it... that isn't a security nightmare scenario at all. If that was a thing just imagine, why attack banks and things like equafax... when you could just attack the local ISPs and get even more data. (and with all the ins and outs likely go unnoticed for ages if you got an in)

As we argued then... the issue is not that it isn't their responsibility, and it really isn't. Its that they don't have the legal right to do so >.< Unless you are suggesting your ISP get copies of all your https ssl certs ect. Websites that transmit data in the clear... do in fact get scanned by many ISPs. Encrypted ones do not.... even if legally it wasn't an issue. Do you really want servers between you and what you are doing scanning everything you are doing online ? Oh yes please lets have all the worlds ISPs scanning everyones online activity and logging it... that isn't a security nightmare scenario at all. If that was a thing just imagine, why attack banks and things like equafax... when you could just attack the local ISPs and get even more data. (and with all the ins and outs likely go unnoticed for ages if you got an in)

You are assuming that was you claim is necessary, I am saying that it may not be. Therefore, you claims at best are off the wall, at worst, like jumping off a cliff because everyone else has done it.

You are assuming that was you claim is necessary, I am saying that it may not be. Therefore, you claims at best are off the wall, at worst, like jumping off a cliff because everyone else has done it.

I mean this seriously. What the fuck are you talking about ?

If English isn't your first language sorry... please try and explain what you are trying to say.

Cause its MS saying the internet is scary and their OS has inadequate security without. I mean who trusts those guys... I know I don't. ;)
I've been using MS's built-in AV since it wasn't built-in to Win7 and it has absolutely never, EVER, **EVER**, told me I couldn't go to a website or that something was bad.

I've been using MS's built-in AV since it wasn't built-in to Win7 and it has absolutely never, EVER, **EVER**, told me I couldn't go to a website or that something was bad.

I wasn't saying that MS denys sites. Simply that they are the only OS that ships with an official anti-virus/malware. Don't get me wrong again perhaps Apple should be doing the same.

As for MS not telling you not to go to no no sites... hey I admit to not running Edge. However does it not have the same level of phishing protection found in Chrome, Mozilla, safari... and every other modern web browser. (yes I know it does). Kudos for you though for avoiding anything truly shady or any false positives. Or your in fact like most people running Googles browser and you can thank them for protecting you. :)

I mean this seriously. What the fuck are you talking about ?

If English isn't your first language sorry... please try and explain what you are trying to say.

Dude, I clearly explained, it does not take a genius to know that, and I am no genius. :D

I wasn't saying that MS denys sites. Simply that they are the only OS that ships with an official anti-virus/malware. Don't get me wrong again perhaps Apple should be doing the same.

As for MS not telling you not to go to no no sites... hey I admit to not running Edge. However does it not have the same level of phishing protection found in Chrome, Mozilla, safari... and every other modern web browser. (yes I know it does). Kudos for you though for avoiding anything truly shady or any false positives. Or your in fact like most people running Googles browser and you can thank them for protecting you. :)

Dude, what is it with your hardon for everything google?

Dude, what is it with your hardon for everything google?

No hardon... just lets all be honest the vast majority of people surfing the web on windows machines are doing it with Google Chrome. Chromes phishing protection is their first line of defence and it tends to work well.

Realistically speaking, such responsibility should be attributed to the browser - I know Chrome and Firefox most certainly do everything they can to steer the user away from harm....

....Unless you're using IE or something, in which case....?

Last edited:
They call themselves idiots.

You're trying to argue that Windows is secure enough for the average user, fact is, it is not.
Fact is, it is indeed secure enough for the average user. It wouldn't be the gold standard of OS if it weren't.

LOL! Are you speaking from personal experience on your own personal computers? LOL! You just cannot argue with that attitude, it would be like hitting a head against the wall. Therefore, proof is not relevant, which you have been clearly shown, yet you still perpetuate the wrong information like it is fact. LOL!

Edit: My whole point of responding the way I did is that, I would not mind having a respectful back and forth on this topic but, you are unlikely to change your tune, which appears to be an all or nothing attitude.
Nope, he isn't. I got ignore listed by him in just one post he claimed, and I thought it was childish to whine and point out an ignore as though anyone particularly cared. He probably is speaking from personal experience about windows on his own pc and no one else's.

The point you missed is that there is evidence of PUP's that have been removed from your system, so this idea of never having used any form of malware or virus protection in the past eight years holds no credibility.
Wanna cry had been patched for 2 months by the time it became a big deal due to users not updating properly.

Fact is, it is indeed secure enough for the average user. It wouldn't be the gold standard of OS if it weren't.

If it was I wouldn't make a living.

As stated, the way it stands at te moment, Windows as an OS is boarderline unusable for most due to the massive infection issues - Claim what you want.

If it was a 'gold standard' MS wouldn't be giving it away and people wouldn't be cracking the shits at getting it for free! Gotta love the fanbois.

Outdated versions are user error ;).

No they're not, it's just fragmentation of the OS due to the expense involved in upgrading corporate systems based around MS as well as artificial limitations put in place by MS in an attempt to force corporations to upgrade.

While the Windows fanboi's go around claiming Linux is fragmented, when the kernel is identical between all distro's! lol!

You know the funny thing GoldenTiger? I don't hate Windows, but I know only to well that there's very little in the way of positives relating to Windows 10 and I'm not going to sugar coat it in some vain attempt to prop up the only OS I'm capable of using.

No they're not, it's just fragmentation of the OS due to the expense involved in upgrading corporate systems based around MS as well as artificial limitations put in place by MS in an attempt to force corporations to upgrade.

While the Windows fanboi's go around claiming Linux is fragmented, when the kernel is identical between all distro's! lol!
Not just the kernel but glibc as well and that is just the tip...

Windows users look at "all the linux distro's" through the eye of the windows landscape "windows 95 is different to windows98 is different" and then go "lulz soo many linux's"

NO!

Every single distro pulls from EXACTLY the same source. What differs is the versions they settle on within their release cycle. Even then there isn't breakages with significant version differences.
There are some very strict rules with the kernel in that it should NEVER break userland. Break internal compat but never userland. Equally glibc is compatible from that from decades ago...

A better comparison would be to compare linux to all the windows7 machines in the world at different levels of servicePacks/KB and with different theming... SteamForLinux is a perfect example... They settled on Ubuntu for official support. Within hours of its initial release all the other distro's had working instructions on how to install it & SHOCK-HORROR the binary distro's provided the pre-req. Us insane gentoo users had to do a bit more groundwork but that was an extra hour to figure out exactly what was needed

Not just the kernel but glibc as well and that is just the tip...

Windows users look at "all the linux distro's" through the eye of the windows landscape "windows 95 is different to windows98 is different" and then go "lulz soo many linux's"

NO!

Every single distro pulls from EXACTLY the same source. What differs is the versions they settle on within their release cycle. Even then there isn't breakages with significant version differences.
There are some very strict rules with the kernel in that it should NEVER break userland. Break internal compat but never userland. Equally glibc is compatible from that from decades ago...

A better comparison would be to compare linux to all the windows7 machines in the world at different levels of servicePacks/KB and with different theming... SteamForLinux is a perfect example... They settled on Ubuntu for official support. Within hours of its initial release all the other distro's had working instructions on how to install it & SHOCK-HORROR the binary distro's provided the pre-req. Us insane gentoo users had to do a bit more groundwork but that was an extra hour to figure out exactly what was needed

I just can't help but agree. ;)

Linux is no more secure than Windows. In 48 years when you guys finally get your way and Linux is the dominate OS, I hope your tune changes as it will be the same bullshit.

It's not more secure, it's just attacked less because you guys aren't important.

Linux is no more secure than Windows. In 48 years when you guys finally get your way and Linux is the dominate OS, I hope your tune changes as it will be the same bullshit.

It's not more secure, it's just attacked less because you guys aren't important.
Understand that I don't really have any skin in the game here, I use both windows and linux daily, both quite heavily.

If the implication is that linux isn't as important ( as populous a target, presumably ) as windows, you really have no clue as to it's market penetration. Sure, as a "desktop" OS, it's trailing windows, but that's about the only market segment where that's the case. Servers? Depending on which segment, but predominantly linux. Mobile? Linux again, by a landslide. MS barely has anything there ( which is too bad, because I did like their tiles on a phone ).

So you have the juicy server market, with all that lovely data which makes it a prime security target. Then you have the mobile market, which has devices which are more heavily used than desktops anymore ( another prime security target ).

Back