Been using and learning Winddows on and over for at least 20 years....

Recommend me a malware scanner and I'll download and run it now and post the result. This is for a machine that's been running on the same OS install for a very long time. Windows 7 for years and just recently (2 years ish) Windows 10 without AV or a scanner.

You try so hard to prove that I'm somehow biased and you just state the facts, and yet here you are doing everything to claim that Windows is not the most infected platform available! It's like arguing that the earth is flat!

Someone here states the facts, and I'm afraid it's not yourself buddy - You have very obvious biases just like every other user on the [H] forums and should by no means be singling anyone out. Knock yourself out with Malwarebytes in an attempt to prove the fact that Windows isn't a cesspool compared to every other offering - That's an undeniable fact and your little experiment will do nothing to disprove it.

Furthermore, I'm sure you know this. I ran Windows 7 on my HTPC for years, as a device with a specific application I can assure you it would most likely have had no malware infections either as it was never used to surf the net.

You try so hard to prove that I'm somehow biased and you just state the facts, and yet here you are doing everything to claim that Windows is not the most infected platform available! It's like arguing that the earth is flat!

Someone here states the facts, and I'm afraid it's not yourself buddy - You have very obvious biases just like every other user on the [H] forums and should by no means be singling anyone out. Knock yourself out with Malwarebytes in an attempt to prove the fact that Windows isn't a cesspool compared to every other offering - That's an undeniable fact and your little experiment will do nothing to disprove it.

Furthermore, I'm sure you know this.

Let's get something straight. I believe Linux to be more secure. It's blatantly obvious that it is, it's not debatable. My stance is that Windows can be reasonably safe, without programs to assist, by using safe browsing techniques.

I believe my install is fairly malware free, but you claim you find systems that seem ok and end up having things people didn't realise. To which I asked for a recommendation from you, a person that deals with this regularly.

Let's get something straight. I believe Linux to be more secure. It's blatantly obvious that it is, it's not debatable. My stance is that Windows can be reasonably safe, without programs to assist, by using safe browsing techniques.

I believe my install is fairly malware free, but you claim you find systems that seem ok and end up having things people didn't realise. To which I asked for a recommendation from you, a person that deals with this regularly.

As a tech, I see it all and rarely do I see a Windows machine with absolutely no infections. Where I do it's owned by a ~50yo that isn't interested in surfing the web and uses the device for Internet banking only. My comments are based of experience with a very large sample group.

The fact is, it is undeniable that as an OS for the average idiot, Windows is a cesspool of infection, and here you are arguing...Again.

You expect the average idiot to practice 'safe browsing habits', it's never going to happen.

As a tech, I see it all and rarely do I see a Windows machine with absolutely no infections. Where I do it's owned by a ~50yo that isn't interested in surfing the web and uses the device for Internet banking only. My comments are based of experience with a very large sample group.

The fact is, it is undeniable that as an OS for the average idiot, Windows is a cesspool of infection, and here you are arguing...Again.

I didn't argue any of those points, or really any points in my previous post. I think you need a break mate, you're losing it over an OS discussion.

To quote my edit:

You expect the average idiot to practice 'safe browsing habits', it's never going to happen.

As an OS for the masses, I'm afraid Windows is shithouse and I can assure you the masses get frustrated by it and wouldn't use Windows given a choice at time of purchase. OSX is out of he question due to the fact it's so expensive considering their needs.

Have you considered helping them instead of calling them idiots? Seems like a safe game plan.

They call themselves idiots.

You're trying to argue that Windows is secure enough for the average user, fact is, it is not.

They call themselves idiots.

You're trying to argue that Windows is secure enough for the average user, fact is, it is not.

In your opinion. It is human nature to learn and adapt. They won't ever learn if you feel the time to teach them is worthless. It is only worthless for you because you're jaded and easily prone to throwing insults. Maybe you should actually spend your time teaching people proper usage habits? Hmm? God forbid you help someone use Windows more securely! You wouldn't be able to go on and on about how much it sucks that way.

I got distracted. Here is the search results after 8 years of the same OS. Seems I have some shit in my chrome extensions, unfortunately the description leaves a lot to be desired and I have a program for finding my Windows 7 key from long ago lol.

So, it seems you CAN use Windows without issue! All it takes is a bit of learning and some fucking compassion when it comes to those not in the "know". Teach others what you know and all will prosper!

edit! oops, forgot to add the photo!

lol.jpg

Recommend me a malware scanner and I'll download and run it now and post the result. This is for a machine that's been running on the same OS install for a very long time. Windows 7 for years and just recently (2 years ish) Windows 10 without AV or a scanner.

So your turning off windows defender in 10 ?

I got distracted. Here is the search results after 8 years of the same OS. Seems I have some shit in my chrome extensions, unfortunately the description leaves a lot to be desired and I have a program for finding my Windows 7 key from long ago lol.

So, it seems you CAN use Windows without issue! All it takes is a bit of learning and some fucking compassion when it comes to those not in the "know". Teach others what you know and all will prosper!

edit! oops, forgot to add the photo!

View attachment 38688

Which as stated proves fuck all.

And don't argue, if I posted such a screenshot relating to Linux you'd be only to quick to point out the exact same fact. Argueing that Windows is a great, top notch and secure OS for the stupid masses so long as you practice safe browsing isn't something any sane person would even try to argue in defense of.

For a great many people the infection issues surrounding [H]OCP's favorite OS is so bad that it's borderline unusable for most - Hence the reason for them switching to mobile devices for most of their daily needs. I can clean up their PC and hammer home to them 'safe browsing' and install some A/V solution that sucks up valuable system resources better than a dirty hooker and I'd be back in another 6 months with the exact same issues, and those people will ask me "what are my alternatives as opposed to Windows? I'm over this".

Last edited:
Cause its MS saying the internet is scary and their OS has inadequate security without. I mean who trusts those guys... I know I don't. ;)

I know that personally I'm going to keep it running on my own machine. Phishing is socially engineered and even I'm only human.

Which as stated proves fuck all.

And don't argue, if I posted such a screenshot relating to Linux you'd be only to quick to point out the exact same fact. Argueing that Windows is a great, top notch and secure OS for the stupid masses so long as you practice safe browsing isn't something any sane person would even try to argue in defense of.

For a great many people the infection issues surrounding [H]OCP's favorite OS is so bad that it's borderline unusable for most - Hence the reason for them switching to mobile devices for most of their daily needs. I can clean up their PC and hammer home to them 'safe browsing' and install some A/V solution that sucks up valuable system resources better than a dirty hooker and I'd be back in another 6 months with the exact same issues, and those people will ask me "what are my alternatives as opposed to Windows? I'm over this".

You are always using phrases like "great many" and "most". If that were anywhere near true you would have more than a 3% market share. It's even more laughable when you know that ChromeOS, which is used by nearly all children in the k-12 system, is included in those numbers.

It's a bit more insulting to insinuate that [H]ard users can barely use their PC's these days, alluding to their incompetence. People use mobile devices because they are just that, mobile, not because their desktop is unusable. Give your head a shake.

You are always using phrases like "great many" and "most". If that were anywhere near true you would have more than a 3% market share. It's even more laughable when you know that ChromeOS, which is used by nearly all children in the k-12 system, is included in those numbers.

It's a bit more insulting to insinuate that [H]ard users can barely use their PC's these days, alluding to their incompetence. People use mobile devices because they are just that, mobile, not because their desktop is unusable. Give your head a shake.

ChromeOS is included? Really? Got evidence of such a claim?

When [H] users come into these forums making threads about issues they're encountering as a result of supposedly attempting to transition to Linux that are a result of their own stupidity or blind arrogance, in what is really just an obvious attempt to take a dump on Linux - They bring such claims upon themselves.

As PC enthusiasts we're all fully aware that Windows suffers from a cesspool of malware and virus infections and should never be arguing otherwise - The idea of 'safe browsing' is a denial approach to an indisputable problem.

Chances are Linux does have a greater than 3% market share, have you got concrete evidence stating otherwise? Hence the reason why 'most' and 'great many' is technically appropriate, as personally I can only guess as to Linux usage figures.

ChromeOS is included? Really? Got evidence of such a claim?

When [H] users come into these forums making threads about issues they're encountering as a result of supposedly attempting to transition to Linux that are a result of their own stupidity or blind arrogance, in what is really just an obvious attempt to take a dump on Linux - They bring such claims upon themselves.

As PC enthusiasts we're all fully aware that Windows suffers from a cesspool of malware and virus infections and should never be arguing otherwise - The idea of 'safe browsing' is a denial approach to an indisputable problem.

Chances are Linux does have a greater than 3% market share, have you got concrete evidence stating otherwise? Hence the reason why 'most' and 'great many' is technically appropriate, as personally I can only guess as to Linux usage figures.

I'll leave ChaD to bring you proof of the ChromeOS being included. He mentioned it about every second post in your netmarketshare thread.

I practice safe browsing and found no issues with your trusty software. That's as much proof as I need to know that education and safe practices work. Does this suddenly mean that Linux is terrible? Of course not, not that that has been said at all in this thread, so I'm not sure why you keep mentioning it.

And again, you claim Hard users are shitty with a Windows PC. I ask how you could think that AAANNNDDDDD again, you mention Linux, which makes no sense because it wasn't even a topic at all.

From the very beginning of this specific conversation, I have simply stated that a Windows PC can be used without a malware or AV program safely with proper training and techniques... And again, you bring up Linux.

Can't stay on topic eh?

I'll leave ChaD to bring you proof of the ChromeOS being included. He mentioned it about every second post in your netmarketshare thread.

I practice safe browsing and found no issues with your trusty software. That's as much proof as I need to know that education and safe practices work. Does this suddenly mean that Linux is terrible? Of course not, not that that has been said at all in this thread, so I'm not sure why you keep mentioning it.

And again, you claim Hard users are shitty with a Windows PC. I ask how you could think that AAANNNDDDDD again, you mention Linux, which makes no sense because it wasn't even a topic at all.

From the very beginning of this specific conversation, I have simply stated that a Windows PC can be used without a malware or AV program safely with proper training and techniques... And again, you bring up Linux.

Can't stay on topic eh?

You're leaving it to ChadD as you can't find proof - I know, I've searched.

My stance is that Windows can be reasonably safe, without programs to assist, by using safe browsing techniques.

This was your claim, and I'm stating quite factually, that it's incorrect and really bad advice - Windows is an OS made for the masses and the masses wouldn't know what a threat was if it ran them over. Personally I like your use of the word 'reasonably'.

So Windows Defender is entirely disabled?

mtsSrfCh.png

As soon as you posted this I knew you would need further proof. You should do some research on how Windows works before commenting ;) (isn't that what you always tell me regarding Linux?)

lol2.jpg

lol3.jpg

You're leaving it to ChadD as you can't find proof - I know, I've searched.

This was your claim, and I'm stating quite factually, that it's incorrect and really bad advice - Windows is an OS made for the masses and the masses wouldn't know what a threat was if it ran them over. Personally I like your use of the word 'reasonably'.

I used reasonably because nothing is 100% secure. To think otherwise is mad. You keep saying that my experience is factually incorrect, yet here I am, in your face with EVIDENCE and you can't stand it.

I used reasonably because nothing is 100% secure. To think otherwise is mad. You keep saying that my experience is factually incorrect, yet here I am, in your face with EVIDENCE and you can't stand it.

Linux is pretty close to 100% secure in my experience. Windows is an outright mess and that's not just due to usage statistics or the meatbag running the machine. "You provide evidence, and I can't stand it!!" Ha! Go back and read the thread.

In relation to your attack regarding my question surrounding Windows Defender, I was simply asking the question, and before I did so I disabled Defender on two machines here to see the effect - I'm afraid that I was unsure what the result would be as I don't know why any person of sane mind would disable defender without third party A/V installed, but each to their own. I assume you've disabled the notification.

See how you're defending Windows but believe you're unbiased? I do the same with Linux and you call me biased! Interesting. We all have natural biases I suppose, and we know where yours lie.

The most laughable thing is how the contextual assumption is that I hate Windows as an OS.

w1MRzOZh.png

vosJ4GFh.png

B63brm5h.png

Last edited:
Guess not.

Not as bad as yourself and another posting baiting threads in the Linux sub forum though. ;)

I don't bait. I speak from the heart and from experiences and always with evidence. You try and speak for all computer users and their ineptness.

I always thought you Aussies were supposed to be reasonable and fun to be in the company of. But after finding out two of the angriest Linux shills on the forum are from AUS and NZ, well that has clearly been an incorrect assumption.

I don't bait. I speak from the heart and from experiences and always with evidence. You try and speak for all computer users and their ineptness.

I always thought you Aussies were supposed to be reasonable and fun to be in the company of. But after finding out two of the angriest Linux shills on the forum are from AUS and NZ, well that has clearly been an incorrect assumption.

I also speak based on experience and I also go to great extremes to provide evidence, and yet you believe you're unbiased and I'm somehow a Linux 'shill'! Currently having a great time playing with my Windows 2000 Pentium 3 machine, yet I'm a shill as I speak only from experience regarding both Linux and Windows and am fairly blunt when it comes to Windows 10?

How is it my fault that so called OS experts can't use Linux? If they're classed as inept that's something they brought upon themselves!

If we met in person we'd probably get along just fine with similar interests. In typical Aussie fashion, if you spoke to me in person the way you speak to me online, with such a massive variance in mood depending on audience, you may find yourself horizontal. But I doubt that would happen as you appear to be a bit of a keyboard warrior just like myself. ;)

Last edited:

I mentioned it as it seemed a logical explanation as to how a number could double in one month. As they have revised their numbers I would say it likely isn't included.If it was yes the usage would have jumped up no doubt cause you are right almost every school kid in the US is running chromeos.

Unfortunately idiots don't become smart and responsible by changing how they're called.

I wasn't going to force this point, but screw it:

What's interesting is the fact that auntjemima ran a scan, found a number of PUP's and proceeded to shrug them off like they were "just some shit in his Chrome extensions" or "Some Windows 7 key finder from ages ago"?! What's also interesting (and I'm sure his just waiting for me to comment on this) is that he runs 'Utorrent'! The makers of Utorrent used to be one of the worst offenders of PUP's, not to mention possible malware contained within the torrents themselves AND he runs Java!

PUP's are effectively malware that you, as an expert user, were tricked into installing! The only difference between PUP's and malware is malware installs without the users consent! There is rarely such a thing as a nice or a good PUP, they literally all perform some form of malicious action that inconveniences the end user. The key finder was most likely flagged as a result of companies requesting such a feature to disallow employees from running such software on company machines, however the rest of those flagged infections are not false positives and the registry entries are evidence that malicious software has been removed in the past. Furthermore, Produkey is downloaded from third party file hosting sites renowned for injecting PUP's into software instillations, especially in the case of a package designed to read product key's of all things!

"Evidence that I can't stand!" Not really. Anyone that runs no antivirus on the worlds most infected and targeted OS is living in a state of denial - And that's a fact.

Auntjemima asked for a recommendation from myself to scan his system as a result of a claim that I made that people have malicious software, viruses and PUP's on their Windows systems without even realizing it, of which I obliged. As a result of that recommendation Auntjemima found a number of PUP's, as well as evidence of past PUP's, on his fairly (quote/unquote) malware free system. Thus the comment "Evidence I can't stand" holds absolutely no merit whatsoever and is further substantiated by his obvious belief that his system was only 'fairly' malware, virus and PUP free to begin with.

Furthermore, as far as 'compassion' and 'assisting others in learning' is concerned, I was the one individual that assisted little Auntjemima in a more than open and friendly fashion on more than one occasion via PM when he was encountering issues with Linux. Unfortunately, as I've mentioned in the past, Auntjemima has different posting styles depending on his audience and I quickly learnt that my good natured assistance was, in fact, biting me on the ass in the open forums depending on other members present in the thread.

I never have a problem assisting anyone, I do have a problem with Windows users pretending to switch to Linux in a seemingly deliberate attempt to find fault with the OS when the issue is a direct result of their own actions, and then attempt to take a dump on the OS because they couldn't work it out or expected a Windows clone.

In relation to teaching my clients safe browsing and being understanding - Naturally it can be assumed this is an approach I use in every situation, sadly in many cases you can't teach a poodle to round up sheep - Something many Americans may know very little about.

So to quote myself from before auntjemima performed his supposedly faultless Malware scan:

And while any 'savvy' users going to deny it, run a malware scan when you aren't running any form of AV and you're guaranteed to find a number of PUP's or malware infections.

One of the great things about Malwarebytes is that they understand that the legal loophole that allows crapware companies to offload their shit onto people's computers is a load of bullshit and therefore go out of their way to pick up on this garbage and remove it, many solutions don't do this due to potential legal issues from crapware makers themselves.

Make no mistake, these are called 'Potentially Unwanted Programs' to shield antimalware package developers from legal legislation, but there's nothing 'Potentially Unwanted' about them, they are very much 'not wanted at all and can fuck off' - More like PITA programs.

The number of times I've done malware scans on Mac's using Malwarebytes and found PUP's that cause insanely slow running and pop up's is just ridiculous. PUP's are common on Mac's as it's very difficult for malicious software to install under macOS without the users consent.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD
like this
He is right on one thing though, it is possible to run a Windows machine and never get malware, PUP's or viruses. Here's the results of a scan on my own Windows machine, you know why it's got no infections 'whatsoever'?

Because I'm exposed to these issues on a daily basis, I understand that the best defense against viruses, PUP's and malware is to surf the web under Linux - This Windows machine literally never surfs the web, it's a gamer only, a glorified X-Box. Furthermore, if I did surf the web on this machine, I'd know better than to use Internet Explorer of all things!

Be sure to take notice of the PUP file 'Secure Preferences' in Auntjemima's screenshot below, this is a very nasty PUP that hijacks Chrome's secure preferences without the user being aware, allowing the PUP to possibly infect the machine with even more malicious software. Highlighting the problem with PUP's - Once installed unknowingly by the expert user they download more and more malicious software to the machine.

OXAGNZLh.png

But make no mistake, never, ever run a Windows machine with no form of malware, virus and PUP protection whatsoever. The performance impact of running Windows Defender at minimum is literally splitting hairs.

The result of my scan:

MCrmcqrh.png

And just to prove that I didn't fudge the results of the scan by running a scan prior and cleaning the system before running the scan in my screenshot above:

UILir4Wh.png

Last edited:
It's very easy to keep Windows clean. Never keep it connected to a network and never insert an USB stick to it (even fresh from the pack have been infected), never install any software on it. If you want to play risky you can install paid original software of course. But aside of those chances are you'll get infected sooner than later by something.

You both keep going on about how unsecure it is, yet in 8 years I have 9 things come up. 6 of those years were using IE and just the last two of Windows 10 using Chrome.

I think the fact that all of the issues are chrome related and not IE to be hilarious especially after all the flak IE received over the years.

The produkey.zip file is something I used years ago. Clearly the unwanted program was never installed because it was picked up INSIDE a zip file and nowhere else. It's there, just waiting for me to click "no, don't install your offer". OH THE HORROR!

You guys are fucking adorable.

It's very easy to keep Windows clean. Never keep it connected to a network and never insert an USB stick to it (even fresh from the pack have been infected), never install any software on it. If you want to play risky you can install paid original software of course. But aside of those chances are you'll get infected sooner than later by something.

LOL! Are you speaking from personal experience on your own personal computers? LOL! You just cannot argue with that attitude, it would be like hitting a head against the wall. Therefore, proof is not relevant, which you have been clearly shown, yet you still perpetuate the wrong information like it is fact. LOL!

Edit: My whole point of responding the way I did is that, I would not mind having a respectful back and forth on this topic but, you are unlikely to change your tune, which appears to be an all or nothing attitude.

Last edited:
I didn't drop Windows due to it being a cesspool for viruses, which it is. I am not a mouth breathing moron and know how to browse safely. I wish my only issue with Windows was that it was more likely to get viruses, i'd still be using it.

I didn't drop Windows due to it being a cesspool for viruses, which it is. I am not a mouth breathing moron and know how to browse safely. I wish my only issue with Windows was that it was more likely to get viruses, i'd still be using it.

Linux has better support for your FX 9590 anyways, right? It was shown to run faster than in Windows, right? (Serious question.)

Linux has better support for your FX 9590 anyways, right? It was shown to run faster than in Windows, right? (Serious question.)

I haven't got a clue to be honest. I haven't done any benchmark comparisons to see. I would be surprised though, at least for gaming. Usually games on Linux are not very heavily threaded because OpenGL is poor at it so I would expect better usage of my 8 cores on Windows for games. Professional stuff such as photo/video editing, number crunching, etc might be a different story.

You both keep going on about how unsecure it is, yet in 8 years I have 9 things come up. 6 of those years were using IE and just the last two of Windows 10 using Chrome.

I think the fact that all of the issues are chrome related and not IE to be hilarious especially after all the flak IE received over the years.

The produkey.zip file is something I used years ago. Clearly the unwanted program was never installed because it was picked up INSIDE a zip file and nowhere else. It's there, just waiting for me to click "no, don't install your offer". OH THE HORROR!

You guys are fucking adorable.

Your scan literally proved how insecure it is!

Now consider the average user with absolutely no clue whatsoever no matter how much you try to educate them.

Chrome is targeted as it's now more popular than IE, the payload was not injected via any weakness on behalf of Chrome, the payload was installed by you - The expert user. Your denial is fucking adorable.

Last edited:
Back