Been using and learning Winddows on and over for at least 20 years....

ChadD

Supreme [H]ardness
I have to say, I see no reason for myself to use it as a host OS, as capable as it can be for some. I would rather just use the host OS that supports everything I do on a daily basis without having to watch update screens for at times hours, or slow my machine down to nothing with virus scanning... and having to constantly evict the malware. I prefer to not have to load a bunch of resource hogging GUI applications when all I want to do is compile a simple bit of software or mass copy a few GB of files. Its just so annoying slow and fisher price like.

I have switched to Windows as a host OS a few times but it never lasts, there is no reason to bother. Well, at least there is no reason for me to bother since VM's and pass through works just fine for handful of bad console port "AAA" windows only games that don't play nice with wine.

I have no issue if Windows adoption were to increase even as PC numbers drop but, as whole, I mean the entire desktop market will never really increase ever again but I guess I'm fine with the state of windows. (Windows Desktop, of course windows mobile and server aren't things anymore right ?) I have started back in 1988 with 2.0 For me, the biggest thing I do with Windows is is loose files.. no seriously gaming that's really all its good for. Otherwise, I just do not have the time anymore to constantly be fixing crap, dodging updates, ducking malware, and paying attention to which virus scanner I should be using because the popular ones are spying on me for the FSB or NSA. (its all good though perhaps windows 11 will change my mind)

PS.... yes I'm kidding. and yes the post I'm riffing off looks just as stupid.

Last edited:
I'm setting up a machine with Windows....From ~20 years ago, and it's pretty good!

Last edited:
I have to say, I see no reason for myself to use it as a host OS, as capable as it can be for some. I would rather just use the host OS that supports everything I do on a daily basis without having to watch update screens for at times hours, or slow my machine down to nothing with virus scanning... and having to constantly evict the malware. I prefer to not have to load a bunch of resource hogging GUI applications when all I want to do is compile a simple bit of software or mass copy a few GB of files. Its just so annoying slow and fisher price like.

I have switched to Windows as a host OS a few times but it never lasts, there is no reason to bother. Well, at least there is no reason for me to bother since VM's and pass through works just fine for handful of bad console port "AAA" windows only games that don't play nice with wine.

I have no issue if Windows adoption were to increase even as PC numbers drop but, as whole, I mean the entire desktop market will never really increase ever again but I guess I'm fine with the state of windows. (Windows Desktop, of course windows mobile and server aren't things anymore right ?) I have started back in 1988 with 2.0 For me, the biggest thing I do with Windows is is loose files.. no seriously gaming that's really all its good for. Otherwise, I just do not have the time anymore to constantly be fixing crap, dodging updates, ducking malware, and paying attention to which virus scanner I should be using because the popular ones are spying on me for the FSB or NSA. (its all good though perhaps windows 11 will change my mind)

Nah, my post is not stupid and you are plagiarizing! :D ;) Have at it though, I do not mind, after all, you know what they say about imitation.....

When I was still stuck with Windows I never realized how empowering and refreshing it could be to break free from the Windows use. At first I hated the change admittedly - but now I couldn't even imagine using Windows as my daily OS. It just feels unnerving and annoying knowing you can't even surf the web without having an extremely high risk of getting attacked (successfully). And this is even without the BS of Microsoft arbitrarily removing functions from your computers and forcing you to install upgrades that you have no control over.

I know this is a joke post, but I see this frame of mind a lot regarding malware and virus'. As a competent computer user do you REALLY have an issue with either of these? How questionable are the sites you are visiting?

I know this is a joke post, but I see this frame of mind a lot regarding malware and virus'. As a competent computer user do you REALLY have an issue with either of these? How questionable are the sites you are visiting?

A competent computer user does not go to internet with Windows. Even on Steam you're already vulnerable but I guess that's a mandatory hazard if you're going to use Windows at all.

Bare in mind that most antiviruses are so detrimental for your computer that it's literally as bad as having malware.

A competent computer user does not go to internet with Windows. Even on Steam you're already vulnerable but I guess that's a mandatory hazard if you're going to use Windows at all.

Bare in mind that most antiviruses are so detrimental for your computer that it's literally as bad as having malware.

I have never installed Steam. I don't enjoy newer games, so I stick with my old ones on CD's. I also don't run an AV program, or Malware. Everything is working as it always has, with no slowdowns, no browser takeovers, nothing. I always felt that the best course of action to take with malware and virus' was to be cognizant of your actions. Example, I regularly have to explain to the wife that the link in her email may not actually go to where it says. She doesn't get this concept, but avid computer users, at least after the fuckfest of malware present in the 2000's, should be aware and pay attention to what is going on, no?

I have never installed Steam. I don't enjoy newer games, so I stick with my old ones on CD's. I also don't run an AV program, or Malware. Everything is working as it always has, with no slowdowns, no browser takeovers, nothing. I always felt that the best course of action to take with malware and virus' was to be cognizant of your actions. Example, I regularly have to explain to the wife that the link in her email may not actually go to where it says. She doesn't get this concept, but avid computer users, at least after the fuckfest of malware present in the 2000's, should be aware and pay attention to what is going on, no?

OMG. Don't tell me you actually use an e-mail client that processes the e-mail on your computer? You do know that outlook has been the tool of choice for 'fly-by' attacks where malicious content gets run with zero user action?

There are four things I would never do on a Windows computer:

1) Never share a USB stick with another Windows computer. It's risky even to plug in a new from the package.
2) Never open e-mails locally on the Windows host. Just don't.
3) Never use non-original softwares or if you do, better run Windows on a virtual machine so you can revert to a clean image swiftly after trying (that's what I do).
4) Avoid all internet browsing. If you must browse something you must use an up to date browser that has all java and javascript disabled and ads blocked.

Last edited:
OMG. Don't tell me you actually use an e-mail client that processes the e-mail on your computer? You do know that outlook has been the tool of choice for 'fly-by' attacks where malicious content gets run with zero user action?

I use Thunderbird, even on Windows.

I use Thunderbird, even on Windows.

I'm pretty sure even Thunderbird is an attack vector on Windows. Any payload that gets through and manages to get executed can piggy-back into your system using IE or outlook/express libraries. Or a multitude of other attacks.

Not so long ago there was the malformed JPEG header vulnerability which ran attack code on your Windows the moment a JPEG was viewed. This was not the first or the last attack that required zero user action.

I'm pretty sure even Thunderbird is an attack vector on Windows. Any payload that gets through and manages to get executed can piggy-back into your system using IE or outlook/express libraries. Or a multitude of other attacks.

Not so long ago there was the malformed JPEG header vulnerability which ran attack code on your Windows the moment a JPEG was viewed. This was not the first or the last attack that required zero user action.

I guess I am always just on my toes when it comes to doing things. I don't load attachments on anything besides my phone, and even then I don't open them unless I was expecting it. I don't load videos with sound, I don't visit questionable sites, I don't even view the emails on my pc and honestly I am not even sure why I run Thunderbird at all. Weird way to live, but my OS hasn't had a hiccup yet.

I guess I am always just on my toes when it comes to doing things. I don't load attachments on anything besides my phone, and even then I don't open them unless I was expecting it. I don't load videos with sound, I don't visit questionable sites, I don't even view the emails on my pc and honestly I am not even sure why I run Thunderbird at all. Weird way to live, but my OS hasn't had a hiccup yet.

I guess that's the benefit of using linux. I visit questionable sites all the time without problems ;)

No operating system is perfectly secure.

As for the OP's post, I laughed reading it because it was so obviously utter tripe, but it would still have been nice to see a smiley someplace. :D

I run Linux and only Linux so I have zero worries. The machine I use to access clients machines remotely is running a SELinux hardened kernel... I have zero worries ZERO.

Yes I could run windows hope MS patches things fast enough and hope I don't get lazy or annoyed and hold off on an update for one day to long and I can hope one of my kids doesn't jump on my computer at some point and do something stupid (not that likely now that the boys live on their own). But why ? I see no advantage at all to using windows to browse the web.

No operating system is perfectly secure.

As for the OP's post, I laughed reading it because it was so obviously utter tripe, but it would still have been nice to see a smiley someplace. :D

I guess I should explain the joke for those that don't hit the Linux sub forum very often... go take a look in that section and you will see I sort of reposted a silly thread from there and changed a couple words. lol ;)

But why? I don't visit them BECAUSE they are questionable.

Well... as an example not that I have done this often. However if you want to help a moron client or friend I guess out that does something stupid retracing there browsing history steps from a Linux machine can give you a good idea what the hell they stepped in. I have checked suspect browsing history sites for clients out... I wouldn't use another windows machine for that.

I guess I should explain the joke for those that don't hit the Linux sub forum very often... go take a look in that section and you will see I sort of reposted a silly thread from there and changed a couple words. lol ;)

Yeah, I understand all that, I've always wondered why Linux has a discrete subforum here whereas the other major computer operating systems don't and are simply in the Operating Systems top level forum. I suppose in some respects I already know why it's separated but even so it is a bit odd. ;)

Yeah, I understand all that, I've always wondered why Linux has a discrete subforum here whereas the other major computer operating systems don't and are simply in the Operating Systems top level forum. I suppose in some respects I already know why it's separated but even so it is a bit odd. ;)

The linux forums are way too technical for the general [H] masses, that's why. Too many difficult acronyms and *gasp* you have to sometimes type.

What I never got was how Apple has a discrete forum yet seems to avoid all this back and forth discussion/drama/discourse/shit. They take it enough in the News, I guess? :D

edit: or perhaps this Trolling, flaming, and arguing thread has kept the peace for 7 years.

What I never got was how Apple has a discrete forum yet seems to avoid all this back and forth discussion/drama/discourse/shit. They take it enough in the News, I guess? :D

edit: or perhaps this Trolling, flaming, and arguing thread has kept the peace for 7 years.

Apple is too expensive for most people (or seems so to those who lack experience with it). That probably has a lot to do with it.

Running Apple products doesn't seem very [H] to me... those hippies won't see this to be offended. :) lol

... I joke ios is my 3rd fav *nix os.

Running Apple products doesn't seem very [H] to me... those hippies won't see this to be offended. :) lol

... I joke ios is my 3rd fav *nix os.

I run the latest macOS Sierra, I've got no complaints with it - Basically, considering skill level alone, if you can run macOS, you can run Linux.

However, anyone that tries to convince you that macOS doesn't suffer from viruses and malware is off their rocker. While the situation most defiantly isn't anywhere near as bad as the Windows cesspool, and generally viruses and malware don't damage the OS as badly as their Windows counterparts, I had an OSX El Capitan system the other day with 14 malware infections, 9 viruses and 500 threats as well as a very nasty looking shell script that was cloning directories and doing gawd knows what with them - Both user accounts on the system had their home directories switched?!

Windows 10 does what it's supposed to do, but there's no way I'm going to claim it to be the OS of which every other OS should be judged and there's no way I'm going to downplay it's many glaring issues - But where it does show promise I will acknowledge it.

Give me Windows 10 with the Windows 2000 interface right down to all of Windows 2000's menu's and settings and Windows 10 would be a magnitude better than it is now.

Give me Windows 10 with the Windows 2000 interface right down to all of Windows 2000's menu's and settings and Windows 10 would be a magnitude better than it is now.

MS simply needs to learn that choice in some things isn't so bad. Letting users switch their windows UI... as they used to with various legacy options I know would make a lot of windows users happy.

MS simply needs to learn that choice in some things isn't so bad. Letting users switch their windows UI... as they used to with various legacy options I know would make a lot of windows users happy.

They need to learn that change for the sake of change really isn't necessary, even Apple know not to make stupidly sweeping changes to their OS every time a new version is released. Since the advent of macOS in ~2000 the interface has remained virtually identical.

Microsoft had a good thing with Windows 2000.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I run the latest macOS Sierra, I've got no complaints with it - Basically, considering skill level alone, if you can run macOS, you can run Linux.

However, anyone that tries to convince you that macOS doesn't suffer from viruses and malware is off their rocker. While the situation most defiantly isn't anywhere near as bad as the Windows cesspool, and generally viruses and malware don't damage the OS as badly as their Windows counterparts, I had an OSX El Capitan system the other day with 14 malware infections, 9 viruses and 500 threats as well as a very nasty looking shell script that was cloning directories and doing gawd knows what with them - Both user accounts on the system had their home directories switched?!

Windows 10 does what it's supposed to do, but there's no way I'm going to claim it to be the OS of which every other OS should be judged and there's no way I'm going to downplay it's many glaring issues - But where it does show promise I will acknowledge it.

OSX is very secure as long as you use it like intended - purchasing software from the official sources. The latest update actually stops you from installing non-signed software by default. People who pirate on Mac are worse off than Windows users.

Especially on everything audio related a Mac is much better than linux. It's better configured off the factory and it has far better support on ISV:s.

OSX is very secure as long as you use it like intended - purchasing software from the official sources. The latest update actually stops you from installing non-signed software by default. People who pirate on Mac are worse off than Windows users.

Especially on everything audio related a Mac is much better than linux. It's better configured off the factory and it has far better support on ISV:s.

No doubt when it comes to putting together a DAW mac is still pretty much king. I enjoy messing with Linux daw stuffs but when it comes to real pro level audio Mac is really the only option, windows sucks pretty hard and Linux has potential but just isn't there yet. (with the right hardware though there are a few stand out pacakges like Bitwig) Linux support for most pro usb audio is getting pretty good, but it would be great if a bunch of the bigs would start supporting the kernel more directly. Its frustrating as it would be so easy, the differences in code from their OSX support can't be all that different. All high end audio companies support mac first and best. I'm not a big mac guy but I have friends who swear by their macs and Logic Pro.

Last edited:
No doubt when it comes to putting together a DAW mac is still pretty much king. I enjoy messing with Linux daw stuffs but when it comes to real pro level audio Mac is really the only option, windows sucks pretty hard and Linux has potential but just isn't there yet. (with the right hardware though there are a few stand out pacakges like Bitwig) Linux support for most pro usb audio is getting pretty good, but it would be great if a bunch of the bigs would start supporting the kernel more directly. Its frustrating as it would be so easy, the differences in code from their OSX support can't be all that different. All high end audio companies support mac first and best. I'm not a big mac guy but I have friends who swear by their macs and Logic Pro.

Actually, the only real figure worth anything to musicians when it comes to audio is latency. Only just the other day I read an article where someone compared macOS, Linux and Windows and Windows was actually the worst when it came to latency.

Of course macOS was the best, it helps when you know exclusively what hardware the OS is to be running and can optimize drivers accordingly.

Very true, in this case the massive amount of infection was a direct result of Torrenting, on a machine used for the daily running of their business.

Actually, the only real figure worth anything to musicians when it comes to audio is latency. Only just the other day I read an article where someone compared macOS, Linux and Windows and Windows was actually the worst when it came to latency.

Of course macOS was the best, it helps when you know exclusively what hardware the OS is to be running and can optimize drivers accordingly.

Yep its all about the drivers / latency. Also one annoyance for Linux is driver support... lots of high end audio hardware works but will be missing proper setup for X or Y input or short a specific recording mode. Some stuff works great, other stuff works partially... for instance I have an older Line6 breakout box that works fine in Linux with the exception of the XLR mic jacks on it... which is annoying, there are devices that work flawlessly its just a bit more hit and miss. As I said earlier its annoying of course as on the technical end of things there is little stopping the Audio HW MFGs from submitting almost unaltered mac code to the Linux kernel. (some do just not all)

Mac has fantastic hardware support... every major high end audio vendor knows they have to invest time and money supporting apple. Apple buying Logic pro a few years back was a good investment as well. Its not the only DAW out there or anything... but its perhaps the best value, apple keeps it OSX only and prices it to attract users. So if you are on a budget.... its cheaper to buy a high end mac and pay the hardware tax + Logic Pro software. VS going with a windows machine + a comparable windows DAW. Linux does have good latency depending on the hardware your using I would say its pretty much on par with Mac... but I have no doubt mac is still slightly better and better across the board hardware wise. Linux is great for Bitwig studio, and renoise. If those are your software choices Linux + the right hardware work just as well as a mac. When it comes to more traditional DAW type software though, Linux has some good Free options like Ardour... great for home users as its free and honestly pretty darn good, still its not logic pro or cakewalk or presonus.

Why have you not yet fully moved over to the Chrome OS laptop yet, considering how hard you push it? After all, even someone such as yourself could not possibly screw that up, right? ;) :D

Why have you not yet fully moved over to the Chrome OS laptop yet, considering how hard you push it? After all, even someone such as yourself could not possibly screw that up, right? ;) :D

No kidding. Even Bullet doesn't push Linux that much lol

TBH I always find this stance fairly ridiculous. I have always looked at antivirus and malware software like having your carry pistol with you. Generally the more skilled you are, and the more aware you are of what you are doing and where you are doing it, the less you actually NEED it. That being said, it is generally in almost every case a really good idea to have and it costs you virtually nothing to have.

TBH I always find this stance fairly ridiculous. I have always looked at antivirus and malware software like having your carry pistol with you. Generally the more skilled you are, and the more aware you are of what you are doing and where you are doing it, the less you actually NEED it. That being said, it is generally in almost every case a really good idea to have and it costs you virtually nothing to have.

The problem is that Windows is largely an OS for the masses. While it's understandable that there are people that require the use of a certain application and therefore require Windows, the point is software support is becoming less of an issue in modern times. As a savvy individual, one should know better than to use an OS that stands a whopping chance at infection compared to any other platform out there.

And while any 'savvy' users going to deny it, run a malware scan when you aren't running any form of AV and you're guaranteed to find a number of PUP's or malware infections. As a tech that sees everything, there's no way I'd run a Windows machine with no form of antivirus protection. Hell, these days you can't without hacking the shit out of the OS - You're nannied into running it under 10.

Good to see Manofgod trolling as usual.

Yep its all about the drivers / latency. Also one annoyance for Linux is driver support...

Having built a number of machines for muso's, when they're onto a good thing they like to stick with it, hence it's not uncommon for them to still be running older professional sound cards as they're still very capable devices - This is where Windows 10 falls in a heap, as most of the time driver support is non existent and Windows 7 drivers result in all sorts of weird and wonderful things happening.

Basically, driver support for such devices isn't as good as one might imagine, a lot of the time Linux is actually better with such older hardware.

The problem is that Windows is largely an OS for the masses. While it's understandable that there are people that require the use of a certain application and therefore require Windows, the point is software support is becoming less of an issue in modern times. As a savvy individual, one should know better than to use an OS that stands a whopping chance at infection compared to any other platform out there.

And while any 'savvy' users going to deny it, run a malware scan when you aren't running any form of AV and you're guaranteed to find a number of PUP's or malware infections. As a tech that sees everything, there's no way I'd run a Windows machine with no form of antivirus protection. Hell, these days you can't without hacking the shit out of the OS - You're nannied into running it under 10.

Good to see Manofgod trolling as usual.

Recommend me a malware scanner and I'll download and run it now and post the result. This is for a machine that's been running on the same OS install for a very long time. Windows 7 for years and just recently (2 years ish) Windows 10 without AV or a scanner.

Back