Been out of the DIY PC Loop for Years, Need Advice on Good CPU, Mobo, RAM. Stability, No OC, Mid-Hi Range Value (Cutting Edge, not Bleeding)

topcat989

Fully [H]
Looks like it's time to Upgrade, finally. Instead of laptop I'd rather go Tower, but if mATX, or ITX is doable I'm open to that.

Here's what I'm looking for:

The best (mid to "Low High" range) components for Video editing and encoding, plus gaming at 1080p, for a budget of around $1200 for CPU, Mobo, and RAM. I'm willing to wait on GPU but if a 10xx or 20xx series will do what I want and someone is willing to sell at a non sodomy with no lube price then I'll bite. The Case, PSU, and SSD costs are separate from the budget figures.

What makes this a challenge for me are two main things:

1) My budget is not hard and fast. Of course I want to save money, and not spend money I won't appreciate the value it brings (overkill), but if I need to up my budget to $2000 or even a bit higher in order to get the best compromise of value and performance, I'm open to it. So that means a LOT of different combos are possible whereas a smaller budget limits that down some.

2) I've been out of the PC component loop for so long I'm completely lost on what's out there and the different prices, capabilities, and combos to put together to best suite my needs. I hate to admit, and feel a little ashamed to ask for some hand holding, but I'm asking. At least to point me in the right direction. I'd like to put the system together soon, but can wait a matter of weeks (but not months) to put together best system I can for the (flexible) budget.

I think I can figure case, PSU, and SDD, but feel free to chip in with any advice on those as well. I know it's important PSU and SSD be good.

From what research I've done (it's kinda overwhelming, the sheer amount of data to go over) it seems like I'd want a (lower tier) Threadripper...12 cores? 24? Help an [H] brother out.......

Bonus for reading thread:

Pics of me and apprentices doing builds back in the day

1.png

Wow. Nary a hint at where to start or any other suggestions.

You guys not like cat pics or something?:(

With Alderlake coming out this fall it might be worth waiting a few more months.

Why do you think you need a threadripper?

With Alderlake coming out this fall it might be worth waiting a few more months.

Why do you think you need a threadripper?

Preliminary, and by that I mean just the barest start of, research showed that the lower end threadripper was not much higher in $$ than some higher end Ryzens. Again, I'm just now starting to edumacate myself on stuff I have zero clue about, and the reason I posted thread was to get advice from those in the know. Anything from a simple suggestion to a comprehensive component list is appreciated. I'll continue to read up on things, so I'm not asking everyone here to do all the work with no effort on my part. I was just hoping to get some suggestions and pointers so I don't waste hours and hours on rabbit holes that don't suit my purpose.

Wow. Nary a hint at where to start or any other suggestions.

You guys not like cat pics or something?:(

Everyone likes cat pics, that is why they invented the internet. Cats and computers are the best of both worlds.

I am sure someone will show up to help you as it has only been a day since you first posted, maybe put awesome cats pics in the title.

DOH just reread the OP. 5900X X570 1TB Nvme 32 Gigs of Gskill ram and one old spinner for storage should work ok. Don't skimp on cooling and it should perform solidly.

Last edited:
Is your software more cpu or gpu dependant? I have no experience with video editing so i immediately assume video rig means gpu hog 😆

I haven't looked into Threadripper, so can't comment on that. However, I have seen a lot of people in various locations recommend the 5900 or 5950 paired with a good X570 mobo, with the MSI Tomahawk version being one of the leading recommendations for something around $300 or less on that. For ram, something with a clock of 3600 is seen to be the sweet spot for the Ryzen 5000 series. Previously, a lot of folks liked the Trident Z Neo for AMD, but other ram will work just as well.

Ohh, and the cats are great, just be sure to check their work afterwards, lol.

Pretty crazy to hop on the forums after a long time away, for the same reasons as the OP, and have it be topcat! (what's up man)

How has your build been progressing? My budget is lower than yours but the simple recommendations posited in this thread and a couple others has been super helpful in directing my research.

I haven't looked into Threadripper, so can't comment on that. However, I have seen a lot of people in various locations recommend the 5900 or 5950 paired with a good X570 mobo, with the MSI Tomahawk version being one of the leading recommendations for something around $300 or less on that. For ram, something with a clock of 3600 is seen to be the sweet spot for the Ryzen 5000 series. Previously, a lot of folks liked the Trident Z Neo for AMD, but other ram will work just as well.

Ohh, and the cats are great, just be sure to check their work afterwards, lol.
Not sure if you need to go all the way to a Threadripper build. I am personally running a 5900x on an X570 platform and it's been running like a champ.

OP, this is a little off from the main focus of this thread, but be advised of handbrake's really bad default AAC encoder. For lack of a longer explanation, they tore out the good quality AAC encoder in recent builds due to some licensing and left in something awful. I noticed one day that the audio it had produced on a track with a lot going on in the upper frequencies sounded like a 96K mp3 from back in the day, maybe worse, and it was a 192K AAC encode. Even redoing it with the AAC bitrate maximized wasn't great. The only solution is to chose another audio codec or build it from the source code with the FDK encoder. Or use an earlier version, I guess.

Of course, if you aren't doing the audio in AAC, it doesn't really matter. But I felt the need to mention it, this is really something handbrake/aac users need to be aware of.

Also, nice cats!

Looks like it's time to Upgrade, finally. Instead of laptop I'd rather go Tower, but if mATX, or ITX is doable I'm open to that.

Here's what I'm looking for:

The best (mid to "Low High" range) components for Video editing and encoding, plus gaming at 1080p, for a budget of around $1200 for CPU, Mobo, and RAM. I'm willing to wait on GPU but if a 10xx or 20xx series will do what I want and someone is willing to sell at a non sodomy with no lube price then I'll bite. The Case, PSU, and SSD costs are separate from the budget figures.

What makes this a challenge for me are two main things:

1) My budget is not hard and fast. Of course I want to save money, and not spend money I won't appreciate the value it brings (overkill), but if I need to up my budget to $2000 or even a bit higher in order to get the best compromise of value and performance, I'm open to it. So that means a LOT of different combos are possible whereas a smaller budget limits that down some.

2) I've been out of the PC component loop for so long I'm completely lost on what's out there and the different prices, capabilities, and combos to put together to best suite my needs. I hate to admit, and feel a little ashamed to ask for some hand holding, but I'm asking. At least to point me in the right direction. I'd like to put the system together soon, but can wait a matter of weeks (but not months) to put together best system I can for the (flexible) budget.

I think I can figure case, PSU, and SDD, but feel free to chip in with any advice on those as well. I know it's important PSU and SSD be good.

From what research I've done (it's kinda overwhelming, the sheer amount of data to go over) it seems like I'd want a (lower tier) Threadripper...12 cores? 24? Help an [H] brother out.......

Bonus for reading thread:

Pics of me and apprentices doing builds back in the day

View attachment 380402
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9pjgVc

Start there.

Everyone likes cat pics, that is why they invented the internet. Cats and computers are the best of both worlds.
Yep I'm in for some good cat pictures I just don't want Jericho The Cat (First Middle Last) to be jelious of the other cats!

I love the middle and bottom right pictures of the kitten inside the older PC on a card and the cat in the hard drive cage of what looks to be a Cooler Master (690?)

Jericho_The_Cat (2).jpg

With current GPU pricing I'd suggest grabbing a gaming laptop. Legion 5 with a 3060 130W model can be had for $1300. If you really want, the Ideapad Gaming 3 with a 3060 90W and Ryzen 5600H is $960. Slap 16GB of good RAM in there and you're set for a while I think.

seriously Ive been looking at building a roblox rig for my kids.
its not like 5 years ago where building = better / saving bucks.

Nothing to save anymore really :yuck:

Back