Been looking at upgrading a 1070 ti that I bought off the FS/T forum a year ago

CleanSlate

Supreme [H]ardness
Bought a 3070 ti about 6+ months ago for around $900 back when prices were a bit nuts and I was blown away by just how little improvement there was to be had.

I originally bought the 3070 ti for a performance bump and the feature that allows you to stream video and it automatically puts in a green screen in the background. Which I didn't even like the way it functioned and I don't even stream on twitch with my camera on these days any ways.

Of course, I ended up returning it and using my DUKE edition 1070 ti and still am. It just wasn't a justifiable expense for the improvement I felt.

Anyone had a similar situation happen?

Anyone upgrade to anything and are happy with it?

For reference my rig is:
5800x w/ Lian Li 360mm AIO
32 gigs (2x16 gigs)
x570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Inland 2tb m.2 & Inland 512 ssd
1070 ti Duke Edition
Acer 2k 144 hz monitor

Intended on upgrading the GPU later when I build this system but I've yet to find something really worth upgrading to.

Games I play for reference:
Apex Legends (95% of the time)
God of War series
No Man's Sky

More rarely:
Doom series
Portal series
Gauntlet
Fable series
Crysis
Elder Scrolls series

The performance difference in gaming from a 1070 ti to a 3070 ti is pretty big. I can understand returning it if you didn't like the streaming feature, but I don't get what you were looking for performance wise. Perhaps a 6800 XT might be something you'll like for much less money than was previously spent on the upgrade.

The performance difference in gaming from a 1070 ti to a 3070 ti is pretty big. I can understand returning it if you didn't like the streaming feature, but I don't get what you were looking for performance wise. Perhaps a 6800 XT might be something you'll like for much less money than was previously spent on the upgrade.

This. The 3070 ti was a decent step up from your current card.

If the 1070ti plays everything you play, at settings you are happy with, then maybe you just don't need an upgrade?

"Of course, I ended up returning it (3070 TI) and using my DUKE edition 1070 ti and still am. It just wasn't a justifiable expense for the improvement I felt."

That makes absolutely no sense because the 3070 TI is literally twice as fast as the 1070 TI.

I feel the same way. Although 4k 144 is a whole nother animal. When I started playing Batman Arkham Origins on 4k 144hz I quickly realized even my 3080Ti was pushing up into the 80-90% GPU usage territory making it feel like It's barely enough. The prices and availability make the 4000 series a mission to deal with. No stock on 4090 and 4080 is poor value. Patience is the key here. See how 3080Tis are being thrown around for cheap now? Same thing will happen to the 4090 and 4080 before the 5000 series launches. This is when I'll be lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on one lol.

I would say a 6900XT once the market settles down with the launch of the 7900 parts or a 7800 variant when they lunch next year.

This. The 3070 ti was a decent step up from your current card.

If the 1070ti plays everything you play, at settings you are happy with, then maybe you just don't need an upgrade?
This is really the answer I assume since as others have pointed out that it is a big step up to the 3070 ti but it just so happens there are no games that I play that can take advantage of the added speed and higher image quality to make it worth it.

The 3070ti is a big step up. Yes the 1070ti will work but if you are on better then 1080p then you are missing out on some eye candy. Eye candy is what makes game more enjoy to me. I have gone from a 1060 3gb to a 3080 12gb in the last few years. With a few gpu,'s in between. Could not see going back to a 10xx series card. Def not with a 1440p monitor.

The 3070ti is a big step up. Yes the 1070ti will work but if you are on better then 1080p then you are missing out on some eye candy. Eye candy is what makes game more enjoy to me. I have gone from a 1060 3gb to a 3080 12gb in the last few years. With a few gpu,'s in between. Could not see going back to a 10xx series card. Def not with a 1440p monitor.
Congrats!
The 1060 3 gig was hardly a good 10 series card is the problem - the 1070 ti I have is 8 gig and that extra ram and horsepower realllllly makes a difference.

A year and a half ago the 1060 6 gig was unworkable from user experiences I heard about while I was working in customer service-style Tech selling full builds.

The 1070 ti was steady working fine for most people, especially at 1080 p but I still get 90-140+ fps at 2k with good settings in Apex and I just didn't see enough of a difference to make it worth the $900 price tag at the time. Maybe I would have kept it at $400? Definitely at $300.

I have had a 1070ti and still have a 1080ti and would not go back to a 10xx series for gaming . The RTX cards are so much better. I would suggest a cheap used 30xx series or a 2070s as a upgrade Id bbudget is a issue. I payed 800 for my 3070ti new from EVGA. was a good buy short of fan issues.

At Current Prices AMD has Nvidia beat at every tier.... But If you want or need Ray Tracing, stick with the green Team

At Current Prices AMD has Nvidia beat at every tier.... But If you want or need Ray Tracing, stick with the green Team
That's another shitshow I don't want to try out.

Bought a 7870 for like $800 on launch back in the day and that thing never worked right.

AMD GPUs will only screw me once. Never again.

That's another shitshow I don't want to try out.

Bought a 7870 for like $800 on launch back in the day and that thing never worked right.

AMD GPUs will only screw me once. Never again.
Drivers are in a much better state but I can understand. Wait for full launch of 4000 cards and compare prices but I would say 3080ti is what your gonna need to shoot for for 1440p 144hz gaming in AAA games

Back