Been in jail for 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metro 2033 and BF3 if you like FPS, not that they compare in any way or form.

Anyway, buy an old computer, you won´t need a new one to drive current games. See above comment on consoles for explanation.

I'll give you a brief summary of what you missed since 2005.
Consoles rose to power. Games have been shit ever since.

This is the most accurate post on this thread. Since the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 came out in 2005/2006, PC games have been stagnated at this technology standpoint ever since which is now over 6 years old. 95% of all PC game releases are restricted by minimal amount of key inputs and basic UI's to accommodate a game controller, 8 hour game play to accommodate 10 year olds with 30 minute attention spans, and hand-holding game mechanics so little Jimmie doesn't feel retarded when he can't beat a certain level (pretty much 99% of all console games today in 2012)

Even though I normally wouldn't support this, do yourself a favor and just get a Xbox 360. Since you're probably going to be strapped for cash in this point in your life, there's no point buying a $5000 computer system which games will look exactly the same/a tad bit better than a $200 console system. Nothing is going to change until the next generation of consoles come out which looks like it's still a year or two away.

This is the most accurate post on this thread. Since the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 came out in 2005/2006, PC games have been stagnated at this technology standpoint ever since which is now over 6 years old. 95% of all PC game releases are restricted by minimal amount of key inputs and basic UI's to accommodate a game controller, 8 hour game play to accommodate 10 year olds with 30 minute attention spans, and hand-holding game mechanics so little Jimmie doesn't feel retarded when he can't beat a certain level (pretty much 99% of all console games today in 2012)

Even though I normally wouldn't support this, do yourself a favor and just get a Xbox 360. Since you're probably going to be strapped for cash in this point in your life, there's no point buying a $5000 computer system which games will look exactly the same/a tad bit better than a $200 console system. Nothing is going to change until the next generation of consoles come out which looks like it's still a year or two away.

Even then, the "next gen" consoles, yet to be released, look to be running hardware 3 PC generations old.

Even then, the "next gen" consoles, yet to be released, look to be running hardware 3 PC generations old.

True. And now that I think about it, even the next generation console games are still going to suffer the same 6-8 hours of gameplay unless the world changes overnight. The only thing that will get a boost will be the graphics which will STILL be dated. There is a small hope for the limited inputs/interaction with the game from the gamepad restrictions if Xbox and PS jump on the whole "tablet controller" bandwagon and hopefully see more than like 6 buttons we can press.

Some of PC elitists in here, news flash.. the gaming industry doesn't owe you anything. Your PC isn't an all deserving vortex of smugness and superior gaming prowess. It plays games. Consoles play games.

If you are unhappy about the quality of games coming to your platform, go start a game development company and do something about. Whining about it and being a smug, elitist entitlement kiddie doesn't help your cause and certainly makes you appear even less deserving. In all honesty, PC gaming is probably never going to be what it was 10 years or, or in the 90s. Consoles, cloud gaming, handhelds.. these are the future mediums for the mass market for gaming going forward.

Some people around here often sound like old men yelling at kids to stay off their lawn.

not to sound harsh but wow... 7 years in prison, no money for a PC... there are much more important priorities in life besides video games

Sure theNoid. We should all just be happy that it plays games. :rolleyes:

I agree completley. Is it really being an eletist smug old man to want games that push the envelope rather than direct ports from 5+ year old consoles? You dont need to be a rocket scientist to see the problems here.

Some of PC elitists in here, news flash.. the gaming industry doesn't owe you anything. Your PC isn't an all deserving vortex of smugness and superior gaming prowess. It plays games. Consoles play games.

If you are unhappy about the quality of games coming to your platform, go start a game development company and do something about. Whining about it and being a smug, elitist entitlement kiddie doesn't help your cause and certainly makes you appear even less deserving. In all honesty, PC gaming is probably never going to be what it was 10 years or, or in the 90s. Consoles, cloud gaming, handhelds.. these are the future mediums for the mass market for gaming going forward.

Some people around here often sound like old men yelling at kids to stay off their lawn.

People like you disgust me, trying to say that people in here shouldn't be talking about stuff that you don't like. If the video game landscape as it is currently isn't all rainbows, unicorns, and sunshine, then it falls to us to discuss it and see what we can do to improve things. Short of starting up a game development studio, all we can do is discuss it on this forum.

So far, it's all about consumer education and voting with your wallet.

not to sound harsh but wow... 7 years in prison, no money for a PC... there are much more important priorities in life besides video games

Yeah he probably will not need a computer for anything else besides gaming......

I'd say it's more like an antique collector claiming that things used to be built better in the past. There's truth to the claims of superiority, but there are also reasons (consumer centric reasons as well as for profit reasons) that things are done differently these days. I personally still find the increased quality worthwhile, while others might not. Hopefully we'll have the option to choose for many years to come.

I guess the console vs pc flamewar is another thing the OP missed out on. Get used to threads like this taking the same old, mostly unrelated turn.

I'm sorry but if pc gaming was his hobby before he went to the slammer, then I think it should be number 1 priority when getting out. duh

Eh, if I had to go away for 7 years, did my time, and then was released, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

Look, dude has put is time in, if the worst he's gonna do is look for digital entertainment to have some fun, I say, all the power to him.

Eh, if I had to go away for 7 years, did my time, and then was released, I'd probably be doing the same thing.

Look, dude has put is time in, if the worst he's gonna do is look for digital entertainment to have some fun, I say, all the power to him.

Seriously. I work for a government agency who's primary business is locking up offenders of the law, and as long this guy didn't use gaming as a method to hurt people, I can care less if he wants get back into it after doing his sentence.

My family and gaming would be the two things I'd go running back to if I were locked up.

Ignore all other games, play Diablo 3. Perfect Rip van Winkle moment, D2 into D3.

I'm sorry but if pc gaming was his hobby before he went to the slammer, then I think it should be number 1 priority when getting out. duh

Haha number one priority? That should be sex. Unless he was getting it in the butt :p

It would be better if it was in GenMay. I'll donate a 1 year sub for him to repost this thread there :)

Is that the general discussion section of the forum? i tried posting there but it wouldnt let me. im not even sure if that section was around back in the day :confused:

at the public library right now, a guy is supposed to pick me up and take me to his house to do yardwork or something

Is that the general discussion section of the forum? i tried posting there but it wouldnt let me. im not even sure if that section was around back in the day :confused:

at the public library right now, a guy is supposed to pick me up and take me to his house to do yardwork or something

What did you do to go in Jail!?

You have a bunch of movies to catch up on, try Avatar!

No one thinks he would have been purged for being inactive for 7 years? If true, good job on remembering your password after all that time!

OK, well, new tech:

kenect - Cool but still not that useful

Tablets - Android 4.0 (ice cream sandwich) is the shit just now, again though, not that useful (if u want one buy a kindle fire and root it (lets you install custom roms and shit)

Currently in the PC world intel is king for CPU's and afaik AMD is still pretty competetive in the GPU sector

If your wanting to build a pc on a budget then an i5 2500k with 8-16gb ddr3 on a z68 chipset motherboard would be a great start, you can pick up a 6950 (or a couple) and do some crazy eyefinity stuff (multiple monitors act as one for gaming, its the shit)

AMD released bulldozer, its a bit of a flop.
AM3 cpu's work in am2+ motherboards with ddr2
AM3 cpu's work in am3 motherboards with ddr3
Am3 cpu's work in am3+ motherboards with ddr3
and
AM3+ cpu's work in Am3+ motherboards with ddr3

Some of the cheaper am3 cpu's can be unlocked (more cores or l3 cache can be unlocked) but the motherboard needs to support this and there is no garuntee

There is this new cryptocurrency that is getting kinda popular called Bitcoin, its a virtual currency basically, not very stable but you can aquire it by letting your gpu do some calculations (think F@H like but it does no bonus to anyone, just gets you bitcoins)

General meyham is pretty cool, you should get a sub to that (part of this forum)

RAGE is a terrible game
Portal & Portal 2 rock
crysis 2 was a shitty console port
crysis was the benchmark of the year then quickly got outdated
metro 2033 is the new benchmark of the year
steam has shittons of sales and generally rocks still
EA made this POS called origin (think steam but ran by EA) to sell their new game Battlefield 3, BF3 is pretty good but its loaded with DRM and it can be very annoying

newegg is no longer the cool nerd place to go for shopping, they are trying to go all amazon and sell everything, but they aren't that good at it...

Idk, i'm sure i missed a lot of stuff, and probably rambled a bit about un-important things...

EDIT: and windows xp is still farting around, so you dont HAVE to upgrade, but windows 7 is the shit too, and windows 8 is right around the corner (its supposed to run on x86 and arm processors, also its got the "metro" touch UI that a lot of people don't like

Well shit, let's SET THE OP UP UP UP

Will ship:

Gigabyte P45 motherboard
E8400 CPU @3.0 Ghz
8Gb RAM

(Assumes confirmation of OP's prison term.)

With the oh so cheap steam sales/coupons, we could put something together for this guy. Hell, he doesn't even need to buy any games with the free games that are around these days. Team Fortress 2 for instance!

Lets strip down this thread from all the garbage posts and get back to the topic for this guy, eh?

Um not sure was this 7 years ago or not.

Westwood got bought by EA.

EA killed most members of westwood.

C&C games are now crappy.

However there are still new C&C games coming out.

True. And now that I think about it, even the next generation console games are still going to suffer the same 6-8 hours of gameplay unless the world changes overnight. The only thing that will get a boost will be the graphics which will STILL be dated. There is a small hope for the limited inputs/interaction with the game from the gamepad restrictions if Xbox and PS jump on the whole "tablet controller" bandwagon and hopefully see more than like 6 buttons we can press.

Why do modern PC exclusive games also look dated then?

What effect do the vast majority who exclusively own and use laptops and the people with 6 year old PCs that still use windows XP fit into this? Or is it totally consoles? The steam hardware survey shows only 5% of people have more than 1gb vram, the most common "high end" card is a 6950 with 1.27% way below cards like the GTX 8800 from 2007 and most people have a dual core or less. This isn't the majority of PCs either, this is gamers. Playing games and talking about hardware, most seem to be using laptops now barely more powerful than a console. Companies are going to produce games for the audience they have. You could make a SLI 580/7970s only title, but >1% of people could play it.

Well shit, let's SET THE OP UP UP UP

Will ship:

Gigabyte P45 motherboard
E8400 CPU @3.0 Ghz
8Gb RAM

(Assumes confirmation of OP's prison term.)

I was going to offer an e4500 CPU, but you trumped me. I've got a disc drive you can have, but be aware that they're rarely used anymore. Nearly everything's downloaded now.

shit man this is very interesting. can you tell us a bit about yourself since you cant tell us what you were in for? hows life on the outside? you adjusting ok? in a halfway house or what? got a job, place to lay your head, family/friends? sounds like a rough time if you cant even get on the internet anywhere other than the local university library. good luck to ya man, would love to hear more.

This. Hopefully you can get back on your feet soon.

There are a lot of free games you should try, like the already mentioned Team Fortress 2.

Other free games:
League of legends
LOTR online
Star trek online
DC Universe Online

Last edited:
Well, depending on how he made money illegally, perhaps we should be donating PCs to anyone affected by said money making. :p

Not sure I'm feeling the "giving" vibe here. 7 years is a long time to serve, and the crime must have been pretty bad. People are serving 3 year sentences for manslaughter. To actually serve 7 years means the sentence was more like 10 to 15 years. That's serious time for a serious crime.... So this "I didn't do anything really bad" thing isn't adding up.

And this "I can't talk about it" is bullshit too. There is no constitutional way they can gag someone about talking about there crime. Hell, if we had the OP's real name we could look it up ourselves.

Last edited:
Not sure I'm feeling the "giving" vibe here. 7 years is a long time to serve, and the crime must have been pretty bad. People are serving 3 year sentences for manslaughter. To actually serve 7 years means the sentence was more like 10 to 15 years. That's serious time for a serious crime.... So this "I didn't do anything really bad" thing isn't adding up.

Like I said earlier, I smell a troll...

This thread is pretty depressing, but something about it also gives me hope. Wait nevermind...its gone. I'm depressed again.

And this "I can't talk about it" is bullshit too. There is no constitutional way they can gag someone about talking about there crime. Hell, if we had the OP's real name we could look it up ourselves.

This is a good point.

He needs a new poof.

I think "I done [H] time" would look nice on him

Just a reminder guys, this is the gaming forum, keep discussing gaming or the thread gets locked. ;)

I enjoy Angry Birds and Words With Friends. Actually, I'm finding that Scramble With Friends is more fun that Words With Friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back