been awhile since.. "look what i dragged home" audio gear thread, enjoy or don't

Necroing this thread... finally snagged an Atarione style deal. I picked this up for $40 and it works. :D Hooked it up, did some PEQ magick with Room EQ Wizard and it fills in some nulls in my room that I have from my main subs (small squarish room ugh) which are too big to move around to a better position.

13226831_1399911620071469_4624210289609795812_n_zpsuwirjp8f.jpg

That's one small sub.

Yeah I don't usually mess with subs this small since they usually suck but this thing... to quote Spiderman from the new Captain America movie: "That thing doesn't obey the laws of physics at all!". While it's small it pounds. It's a Bob Carver design and was ~$900 when new. It can almost keep up with my JBL LSR310S studio sub and it takes up a 1/3rd of the space. My main DIY subs are too big for my current room so I can only really stick them in one spot. Since the Sunfire is so small I can put it in places I wouldn't be able to with any other sub and I only needed it to take care of 2 nulls which it does fine.

Nice sub! Is that the 8 inch or the 6 inch?

I think it's a 7".

Yea you're right. I can't find a model number for that one anywhere. I found somewhere saying it is one active and one passive 7" driver and it hits like a truck. Sounds like a very nice find. $895 MSRP?

It looks like a nice old school sub to me.

I'd imagine that little thing pumps pretty nicely, looks industrial strength :)

Yea you're right. I can't find a model number for that one anywhere. I found somewhere saying it is one active and one passive 7" driver and it hits like a truck. Sounds like a very nice find. $895 MSRP?

The few links I found said the $895. A guy in another audio group said he paid $1000 for his. Crazy.

Used Sunfire subs are always a gamble due to the high numbers of amp failure. If yours has no issues, consider yourself lucky, that's a great find!

The True Subs were a miracle when they came out. They opened our eyes to 2 things most of us had never heard of. Digital amplification and the linkwitz transform circuit. Carver had just officially died after selling some really good gear, and Sunfire was like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

The Carver "Amazing Loudpseaker" AL-III were lost to the history books right before Carver went under.

Used Sunfire subs are always a gamble due to the high numbers of amp failure. If yours has no issues, consider yourself lucky, that's a great find!

Yeah I was leery of that but at $40 if it works for a while it was worth it I suppose. I did find a guy on AVSforum that repairs them.

The True Subs were a miracle when they came out. They opened our eyes to 2 things most of us had never heard of. Digital amplification and the linkwitz transform circuit. Carver had just officially died after selling some really good gear, and Sunfire was like a phoenix rising from the ashes.

The Carver "Amazing Loudpseaker" AL-III were lost to the history books right before Carver went under.

Way back in the late 90's a Circuit City opened up in my small town (we always got shit last) they had a pair of Carvers a lot like that but without the wood veneer. I always thought they were neat. Looking back at what I remember though they had them setup at stupid angles as it was a really really small demo room.

Since I haven't been on these forums much.. I just saw this.. but nice little sub woofer there with that sunfire score.. good stuff.

I've been semi retired from the old audio gear buying game for awhile.. but these are a couple scores (one most epic indeed from a couple years ago now) and one from last year sometime ??? (don't remember) ..

1. EPIC Sony ES stack score $75 (goodwill half off sale .. somehow this was sitting right before my very eyes.. I gave some kid $5 to go grab me a cart so I could take it to the registers.. Sony TA-N77ES, TA-E77ES, 730ES , 700ES ..etc all for $75 total (also got a non ES N110 stereo amplifier in the deal)

2. (also 1 of at least in picture) Yamaha NS-344 10" 3way speakers. $30~ i think

ta_n77es.jpg

With these scores and a condo near overflowing with stereo goodness... I packed in my frequent visits to thrifts, estate sales..etc .. didn't entirely have time for it anymore anyways.. The ES stack score was rather epic indeed... I quite love the massive VU meters (i did have to replace the lamps on the meters $15~ish ) amp is worth a fair bit north of $1k apparently so pretty good day when I got this.. the amp alone weights ~60lbs or something like that..

Anybody know where I could find a older pair of Cerwin Vega speakers?

follow me around if I decide to start buying vintage audio gear again apparently would be a good plan?? ebay is ok, because you can search for what you want.. it is rough because shipping / potential for shipping damage is a drag.. CL is a option certainly.. you might join audiokarma and search the classified ads there..

also US Audio Mart maybe ??

Speakers are best picked up locally I think .. just because they are bulky / fragile / can have issues bought 2nd hand.. I've had to put new surrounds / recaps crossovers..etc on used speakers.. and come up snake eyes one or twice with blown woofers / tweeters..

patience and persistence can pay off.. of course living in a target rich environment helps (think affluent ..high population / many rich old people)..

Back