been awhile since.. "look what i dragged home" audio gear thread, enjoy or don't

atarione

2[H]4U
So i dragged this stuff home today to see I my wife will murder / divorce me :D (not really she is a good sport honestly)

found this for $25 Denon AVR-688
denonavr688.jpg

and Onkyo CP-1130F $10
onkyocp1130f.jpg

and $15 Sony C75ES cd changer
sonyc75es.jpg

edit: add rear view shot of Denon

nice! connectivity options.. very nice sounding .. been playing this thing about last 2hours now... so good.

I wish I could remember who b*tched about my last thread like this so I could dedicate it to them...but whatever this one is for you...who ever you are :D

Last edited:
It was me! No. Well, I am jealous bc in my town, no WAY in hell could I find such good pieces for those prices. Funny thing is that I have found my best audio gear on the curb. One was a complete Bose system that they apparently lost the POWER CORD for and threw it out. I sold it for $200. yay!

Good on ya man. There are far worse habits to have.

It just RAINS awesome used audio gear around here...

if you live near me at least and you are listening to crap speakers (assuming you have any room) you just have yourself to blame

I have this $25 denon hooked up to some $10 optimus Pro X7 speakers right now.. and I dare any klipsch 2.1 or anything logtichect has ever made to come close to sounding this good

Last edited:
It was me! No. Well, I am jealous bc in my town, no WAY in hell could I find such good pieces for those prices. Funny thing is that I have found my best audio gear on the curb. One was a complete Bose system that they apparently lost the POWER CORD for and threw it out. I sold it for $200. yay!

:D This denon.. sounds REAAALLLY Good... I have it playing with my samsung tablet and some optimus pro X7 speakers and it is just KILLING... I'm kind of in love with this thing.

nice (and funny free $200 find on the bose... yeah anything (just about bose i find will be promptly resold for profit ... not a fan of bose myself.)

edit.. this denon weighs a ton however... which is good actually huge transformer in there.. 85WPC

Last edited:
I suppose full disclosure (just the sony ES cd player of this stuff) but about 1/4 of my scores have been from this one store .. these very nice ladies work at and they know my wife has been ill... anyway the owners never price a damn thing audio related, so when i see stuff there I always politely and patiently (waiting if they are helping anyone) ask them how much is this.. I am nearly 100% sure they give me a significant discount.. not that i ever ask for one.. but I'm pretty sure they like me and give me pretty friendly pricing.

I wish I could remember who b*tched about my last thread like this so I could dedicate it to them...but whatever this one is for you...who ever you are :D

I'm guessing you are referring to me.

I didn't bitch about a single thread, I simply pointed out your proclivity toward making one every single time you purchased a new piece of equipment.

And the Denon looks nice.... :p :)

I go out looking for a decent receiver weekly, find noting but tape players and VCR's. Nice score.

Picked up a PSB Alpha Intro CLR for $10 a few weeks back for my computer's center channel. Nothing like you got but everything else I've seen around here lately has been complete rubbish.

Grats on the finds.

I'm guessing you are referring to me.

I didn't bitch about a single thread, I simply pointed out your proclivity toward making one every single time you purchased a new piece of equipment.

And the Denon looks nice.... :p :)

HA... I was just messing with you btw

thanx ... yeah i'm thinking that all that stuff actually but the denon especially was a pretty sweet deal... that thing is pretty nice indeed.

since you had made me feel all bad b4 :rolleyes::D I didn't post my other last few finds but here is more stuff to make spaceman and whomever else jealous :D

last week's score Yamaha DVD-S1700 (SACD capable / hdmi out dvd player) $15
yamahadvds1700.jpg

can't remember if i mentioned the item below that yammy before or not? but it is a $15 Pioneer SP-700D (digital surround processor).

Wow amazing finds! You take value shopping to a whole nother level. Keep posting. :D

I am sorry for those of y'all that don't have such good luck finding this stuff...

I do not know what I'm doing right but i have been killing on kind of killer deals for over a year now... /knocks on wood as to not jinx it.

for my part (mostly except a couple things i REALLY wanted).. I have just passed up stuff that was priced ~market value... I mainly grab stuff I see that clearly is worth more than they are asking for it.

I was messing with this stuff again today.. got out my ~$60 Bang Olufsen RL 60.2 speakers and set the sony and denon w/ the B&O speakers .... pretty nice sounding $100 high-fi system right here... sounding quite good indeed.

I made a video...but I eated it...oh wait actually I didn't ... shot w/ my flip cam... not the best way to get a feel for this but whatever check it out if y'all want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK7-gLNg_nw&list=UURYdC7dYZSYHDI0tXkgq8Mw&index=1

Agreed, wish the goodwill near me had decent audio equipment, rarely does.

I suppose full disclosure (just the sony ES cd player of this stuff) but about 1/4 of my scores have been from this one store .. these very nice ladies work at and they know my wife has been ill... anyway the owners never price a damn thing audio related, so when i see stuff there I always politely and patiently (waiting if they are helping anyone) ask them how much is this.. I am nearly 100% sure they give me a significant discount.. not that i ever ask for one.. but I'm pretty sure they like me and give me pretty friendly pricing.

You found ES series at your thrift store. Ok, I need to know where this is!!

goodwill is a joke... what you need to find is other thrifts or estate sale stores..

for example there is a community resource thrift near me that just rains kewl stuff (my B&O RL 60.2's are from there for example) and another that benifits a local animal shelter ..just fantastic I have got a bunch of killer stuff there.

Goodwill prices high (which is fine they can do what they want..) and they put most of the cool stuff on their "shopgoodwill" site now a days... but see if you can find other places / resale shops and you may have better results?

goodwill is a joke... what you need to find is other thrifts or estate sale stores..

for example there is a community resource thrift near me that just rains kewl stuff (my B&O RL 60.2's are from there for example) and another that benifits a local animal shelter ..just fantastic I have got a bunch of killer stuff there.

Goodwill prices high (which is fine they can do what they want..) and they put most of the cool stuff on their "shopgoodwill" site now a days... but see if you can find other places / resale shops and you may have better results?

Yeah, the goodwill bus came and went pretty quick. The cat is out of the bag and good stuff is not popping up there anymore, or is getting snagged by ebayers. I gave up.

Still good to find a tube tv.

i have posted most of this stuff before but for those that haven't seen it ...and to rub it in :) (j/K)

some other thrift store goodness from the last year or so..

Real happy about this
B&W V200 series (v202) speakers $20
pcarea.jpg

very nice sounding Sansui 350A (local ebay buy $40)
img2560da.jpg

$40 Pioneer SX-450 and $10 Realistic Minimus 77 speakers (gave this to my wife for her pc)
sx450.jpg

$10 (ladies that like me at that one store gave me killer deal on this i think) Nikko NR-750 reciever ..very nice sounding
img2989m.jpg

my VERY FIRST SCORE $20 Pioneer SA-410 ..minty 25wpc integrated .. love this thing..not many watts but it was my first vintage item...and i just freaking love it...
img2474xz.jpg

there is much more but I've worn myself out :) maybe i'll post more later??

but it ain't all gravy... I am out $3 on this one... dead as disco

Grundig S350 =\

grundigs350.jpg

All nice scores, I'll luck into something eventually. Looking for a half decent receiver...nothing audiophile quality to hook up a turntable to so I can play the few albums I have.

I had a fairly decent kenwood setup but it died.

what is funny is some people have spend more for a single interconnect cable that I have spend for all this stuff....but that is entirely different can of worms that should likely not be opened..

i hope to some day have the money to spend in such away (probably won't) but it would be nice to have the money for it to be an option certainly.

Craigslist has been a goldmine for me.

Dual CS 606 - $25
Denon POA 1500 - $50
Kenwood Basic C2 - $35

all of them were broken or partially broken, but with a bit of patience and some soldering all work fantastic now.

One receiver to look out for is the Luxmann R115 or R117. They're both so fantastically Fugly I've seen them go for very cheap, but the SQ is top notch.

what is funny is some people have spend more for a single interconnect cable that I have spend for all this stuff....but that is entirely different can of worms that should likely not be opened..

i hope to some day have the money to spend in such away (probably won't) but it would be nice to have the money for it to be an option certainly.

I am slowly coming to the conclusion that cables do make a difference. Some more than others depending where they're going. For instance the RCA cable from your turntable is incredibly important. A very low capacitance cable is vital (either a component video cable which generally have low capacitance, around 25pf or if you want to get all crazy a $30 bluejeanscable - that has something crazy like 12pf). I've also noticed the cheaper turntables often have very short cables for this reason. To lower capacitance of the whole wire... by just making it half the length.

I've noticed differences switching out cables, I'm not one to spend money needlessly, but have found component video cables much better than the regular RCA cables. They're always shielded and have low capacitance. And they're very cheap, especially if you find them used as component is kind of a dead/dying technology now.

Those Realistic/Radio Shack/Tandy Minimus 7 speakers were beastly and are built like tanks... pretty hard to find them now and a lot of people still consider them sought after.

If you replace the electrolytic cap (which must be really aging by now) in the crossover with a solid film type it REALLY improves the sound they put out noticably.

Those Realistic/Radio Shack/Tandy Minimus 7 speakers were beastly and are built like tanks... pretty hard to find them now and a lot of people still consider them sought after.

If you replace the electrolytic cap (which must be really aging by now) in the crossover with a solid film type it REALLY improves the sound they put out noticably.

Looks like these are the same, I have a set of them....they are heavy as hell.

Looks like these are the same, I have a set of them....they are heavy as hell.

oh neat.. yeah the very last ones of these made are branded rca ..they bought the rights to the optimus speakers ...then stopped making them, i think as i understand it?? well played RCA...

can you list the model number on those maybe? and or add a shot of the back? are they ported I have some Optimus ones that look like the minimus 7s but they are shielded and ported out the back.

oh neat thank so they are twins of my optimus ones that look like minimus 7s but have the port then..good to know.. thanx

oh and pity me..today stopped two places had to drive by anyways... no dice really got a sony F-V220 mic for a few buts and a couple RCA cables...

only thing else I saw was a Fischer receiver and matching tape deck for $40 ...that should have been thrown in the nearest dumpster when it was new =p

A few things I scored on Craiglist:

Pioneer RA-E60 audio video cabinet: $60
Marantz SR7200 receiver $115 (scored this a few years ago)
Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp $350 (it was on CL for $300 but the flipper got it before I could snag it at that price... the few I saw on Audiogon and Ebay went for $400+ shipping so not too shabby overall)

Thinking about picking up a Pioneer GR-777 EQ on CL. The guy wants $50 but it doesn't have the remote so I'm thinking of offering him $30. At the very least I could flip it on ebay...

3Ma3J33N95L55N75Gbd5r781da37387bf1bdb.jpg

A few things I scored on Craiglist:

Pioneer RA-E60 audio video cabinet: $60
Marantz SR7200 receiver $115 (scored this a few years ago)
Marantz MM9000 5 channel amp $350 (it was on CL for $300 but the flipper got it before I could snag it at that price... the few I saw on Audiogon and Ebay went for $400+ shipping so not too shabby overall)

oh nice... very nice... ha now i am jealous... :D The luxman and Marantz god's have not been smiling on me... despite my prayers...and oh course i'm cheap..so i have seen some martanz stuff on c/l but they wanted close to ebay prices... **** that... what I really want is a 2275 vintage receiver my buddy has one... just amazing... he got his for something stupid like $100 in nice shape..

but seeing as how the one i see on ebay right now is $1250 .... not happening atm... oh well ...someday i'm going to get me my nice $25 thriftstore marantz... and have no doubt I'll be starting a new thread :D

Yeah the Marantz stuff goes a bit higher than other brands, especially the 70's gear. I could've scored a SR7500 receiver recently for $80 but it really isn't an upgrade for my purposes and it was around a 2 hour drive. Another local has an SR9600 receiver, which seems to be a very rare unit but they want $1995 for it :eek:... yeah I think I'll buy a new Marantz pre/pro for that! There is a 2275 with some Cerwin Vega AT-15's around here for $800.

Yeah the Marantz stuff goes a bit higher than other brands, especially the 70's gear. I could've scored a SR7500 receiver recently for $80 but it really isn't an upgrade for my purposes and it was around a 2 hour drive. Another local has an SR9600 receiver, which seems to be a very rare unit but they want $1995 for it :eek:... yeah I think I'll buy a new Marantz pre/pro for that! There is a 2275 with some Cerwin Vega AT-15's around here for $800.

ugh... that would be tempting... depending on condition.. but kinda too much money to spend easily right now..

OTOH... if i started actually selling some of the stuff that I have drug home I might well have the money for the marantz and change :rolleyes:

Congrats on the score! I love vintage audio. Last summer, I found a Marantz 2275 receiver for $35 at an estate sale. It looks exactly like this one for sale on eBay.

333hc0y.jpg

I took it to a local audio/video repair shop to get it cleaned up and have 2 lights replaced. When I went to pick it up, the shop owner showed me note with a phone number from another customer. He offered me $500 for it, but I declined. It's a beautiful piece of old school audio equipment and sounds absolutely magnificent.

Last edited:
Congrats on the score! I love vintage audio equipment. Last summer, I found a vintage Marantz 2275 receiver for $35 at an estate sale. It looks exactly like this one on eBay.

333hc0y.jpg

I took it to a local audio/video repair shop to get it cleaned up and have 2 lights replaced. When I went to pick it up, the shop owner showed me a note with a phone number from another customer. He offered me $500 for it, but I declined. It's a beautiful piece of audio gear and sounds absolutely magnificent.

damn it the point of this blog was to make spaceman jealous not me green with envy :( ... no just kidding HOLY COW MAN... that is some sweet score on the 2275 however....very very nice...indeed...

hopefully my cheap as **** 2275 is just around the corner... that is a massive score y'all got there though fo sure.

well since I have like 4 sets of these things around here.. may have to give this a try on one of them...

and as a bonus :D thanx to my $5 Niles SPS-4 (minty) speaker selector switch i will be in a excellent position to report a/b findings

Hah yeah that's a hella deal.

This is the Marantz 2275 with the CV speakers for $800:
http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/ele/3748281255.html

I offered the guy $30 for the Pioneer EQ. He shot back $35. So I guess I'm gonna pick that up tomorrow.

nice... they had a kinda snazzy yamaha eq when I got that denon and onkyo turntable on tues.. but it was not priced and the lady at the counter was all i will need to have one of the guys come price...which was gave me enough time to fiugre out my wife would might well be peeved... so i left it for someone else... should have bought it if they priced it right.. meh...

imag0440a.jpg

imag0439g.jpg

My stack, will take some better pictures at some point, just fixed the lights on the VU meters. Pretty solid guts, the Denon weighs almost 50lbs

The luxman and Marantz god's have not been smiling on me... despite my prayers...

LOL, I don't know what you're complaining about with your Denon purchase.

Oh and a SR7200 for $115 is an amazing steal.

With the prices people are quoting here, there is very little risk in the usual "stay away from used speakers... etc." statements, since if its bad...you only lost like $30, but if its good, you save $100's.

I am just too lazy to check my area's Craigslist. Maybe I should look for a thrift store.

Edit: Whats weird is that if a new stereo component is built "old school" (tube amps, turntable, etc), it sells for outrageous prices but if it really is old, it sells for pennies on the dollar. Go figure. :p

imag0440a.jpg

imag0439g.jpg

My stack, will take some better pictures at some point, just fixed the lights on the VU meters. Pretty solid guts, the Denon weighs almost 50lbs

hey nice gear ... how do you like that Kenwood Basics (it is a C2 right) pre.....I'm looking for one of those things....I'm using that pioneer SP-700D cause it was the only thing I could find that would work at all as a pre from my elan power amp... funny thing is I bought the dang thing cause it was $15 and amazingly for used gear had the remote taped to the side of it...

so got it home Previous Owner left batteries in the remote and they leaked and it is fubar ...oh well.. it is right on my desk so the lack of remote in and of itself ain't the end of the world but a ton of functions are remote only and harmony doesn't have any codes for it :rolleyes:

edit...
OH DAMN... I just realized that denon you've got has huge vu meters... nice.. sorry didn't notice at first I love amps with huge VU meters ... dang meters are just hypnotizing

Back