Beefy Cisco Wireless Setup

prochobo

Limp Gawd
Just got this stuff in recently; each rack is identical from top to bottom (minus the power strip in rack 2).

On each rack:
Raritan Dominion KXII IP KVM/console server
Cisco WCS (running 6.0)
Cisco 6509 chassis with 2 WiSMs and a sup

20100218091314.jpg

This is the beginning of our rollout. We're expected to have around 8-10 more WiSMs and an extra 6509. Possibly an MSE if I'm lucky :)

very nice, I spy a vs supervisor :D

what kind of lwapps are you guys going to be using? How large of a network? I hope this is the core and not just a wifi pop.. haha

very nice, I spy a vs supervisor :D

what kind of lwapps are you guys going to be using? How large of a network? I hope this is the core and not just a wifi pop.. haha

1142 APs, projected to be around 3,000 - 4,000 APs. It's way to early to tell since I've barely gotten to get accustomed to the APs' properties. Covering one large campus and two satellite campuses. And yes, this would be the core with possibly another 6509 at one of the other campuses.

Any reason you decided with the WISM's vs the 5508 WLC's?
My vendor is really pushing the 5508's down my throat. They are newer than the WISM's too.

My vendor is really pushing the 5508's down my throat. They are newer than the WISM's too.

50 more supported APs, economies of scale, easier management, more efficient inter controller roaming, and consistency of equipment in the data center.

I like having a separate box for wireless functions, plus you loose module slots with WISM's. we have a 5508 and it is going strong.

Heh, never mind about what I said a few weeks ago. We're now going with 5508's and full credit back on our WiSMs. You didn't hear it from me, but our Cisco rep says the 5508's will be increased to 500 APs - a big win for us.

Back