Beautiful water cooled rig

nice looking job, very sexy.

the only problem being you still have a hot nb/sb and a flaky 680i under the hood.....apart from that it's all good :)

Dethred, maybe jealousy made you say those comments ??

If you want just aircooling, then go away from the WC forum and stfu.

Absolute Jealousy. I wish I could say "hey look at my computer, looks cool doesn't it?" Not understanding the point of my post is a pretty big problem when you're telling someone that has a watercooled machine to leave the watercooling forum because his opinions didn't align with yours.:rolleyes:

It can be quiet since you don't really need high CFM to work. only 30-50 CFM top is pretty quiet and a rheobus will help further.

And that will work on a heatsink.

It looks like it's murder to use *any* elbow or t-fitting. Actually, it might impact the flow but it's not excessive compared to a righ which watercool not just the CPU/GPU but also the NB/SB/mosfets and sometime RAM and this setup will have less flow.

Using several will only kill flow on a system that will probably already be near max thermal capacity. The point is that (AGAIN) elbows were used for looks rather than worrying about cooling efficiency.

I agree it can perform as well but the issue is that you need airflow for the heatsink to work and that's where it lose against a watercooling setup.

TJ07 case = Great Airflow

Yate Loons or Scythe S-flex at the same CFM used to push air through a Thermochill will probably be practically unnoticeable in that case.

And a WC setup is also meant to be used. Take mine as example : I can run my CPU at 3.6 GHz and my 8800GTS at 675/2000 without seeing both temps hover above 48C (44C for CPU top) while being very quiet if I unplug the memory cooler.

So your G0 at 3.6 will run cooler than mine by 10 degrees Celcius at the same speed at a ridiculously low 1.37v and yours has a GPU in the system? Check your temps again. I know a 120.3 will outperform an MCR320 but not two.

Well, everyone have priorities. If you think it's a waste, just go away from the WC forum and stfu once more. It's not better than those who like to tweak cars and waste money to gain some HP, which is useless due to the limits imposed by the government.

This isn't the "Water cooling looks Awesome" forum. I think most people would agree that a performance watercooling rig makes a lot more sense rather than a loop meant to look good.

Honestly, your comments is really useless here.

Actually, I have a point, you're just spouting out shit like "you're just jealous".:rolleyes: What a waste even responding to your nonsense.

Theres a reason why high performance cars and trucks and vehicles are liquid cooled rather than air cooled. I'll let you figure that one out, but the concept is pretty much the same with the computer...

Awesome build. Hoping to get to a close standard with my new build, although I don't have quite the patience for the PSU sleeving

How would it be quieter? You are missing a fan on the GPU and the CPU, but you have two fans on the radiator instead... A Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme would at least match the cooling on a rig with a video card and Quad core (assuming its a Quad) in the same loop with a 2x120mm radiator.

Uhh... An Ultra120 Extreme will never match the cooling efficiency of a well planned water loop. Maybe in temperatures with such a small radiator, but not in silence.

The 90* elbows must kill the flow in that loop, sure it looks better, but my point is that its paying too much attention to looks instead of performance. You use a PC, you don't stare at it.

I'm sure they kill flow. But flow rate is barely important as it is. Each elbow imparts about a 0.1c difference in temperatures according to Marci. I have been saying this all along. I use 5 elbows and my pump is set to "3"... and my quad loads at around 55c.

Considering its a full cover block in a loop with the CPU and a 2x120mm radiator, I am sure an HR-03 Plus would at the very least come pretty close to the same performance without the risk of a leak.

Yes. Agreed 100%

Effective watercooling is hardly ever quieter than good air cooling.

Right. Show me a Quad core clocked to 3.6, and an 8800GTS clocked to 670mhz that full loads (dual orthos and RTHDRIBL) at 26dba from 3 feet (case closed).

Responded in quote.

A PA120.2 with 2 yate loon fans (49cfm) with a pump pushing 1gpm can dump around 320w of heat at maximum capacity. This is assuming it's around 35% better than an equal sized Black ice Pro radiator (which can easily dump about 265w with said fans/pump).

The CPU, if it's a quad, will be dumping at MOST 200w in the loop (with a hefty overclock to around 3.5ghz...)
The GPU if its an 8800GTX, overclocked, will be dumping at most 160w of heat into the loop during a full load.

This radiator can easily handle all the heat from the loop, while maintaining the 10c delta over ambient "baseline" limit.

Even so, what can I say. I like my computer to be quiet as hell, and look damn nice. Performance has always been second to me, so long as it's better than the other alternative (air).

Responded in quote.

A PA120.2 with 2 yate loon fans (49cfm) with a pump pushing 1gpm can dump around 320w of heat at maximum capacity. This is assuming it's around 35% better than an equal sized Black ice Pro radiator (which can easily dump about 265w with said fans/pump).

The CPU, if it's a quad, will be dumping at MOST 200w in the loop (with a hefty overclock to around 3.5ghz...)
The GPU if its an 8800GTX, overclocked, will be dumping at most 160w of heat into the loop during a full load.

This radiator can easily handle all the heat from the loop, while maintaining the 10c delta over ambient "baseline" limit.

Even so, what can I say. I like my computer to be quiet as hell, and look damn nice. Performance has always been second to me, so long as it's better than the other alternative (air).

I know it can "handle" the heat, but at what temperature? My machine with just the CPU under water idles at between 30-35 on two cores and 37-45 on the other two. It loads at just about 60C. If my machine can only hold it back to 60C with two MCR320's and an MCP655 Pump, then a 120.2 is going to have even more trouble. Even at 2.4ghz (stock) its scratching 45C. Add in a hot full cover GPU and arguably more restriction, and you are not going to be loading at much better than a very good air cooler.

To everyone else. I am not arguing against watercooling, for God's sake I have a liquid cooled PC. I am arguing against the point of this build, which in practical terms is nothing more than something to look at.

Dethred, what's your ambient temperature?

With a SINGLE 120.3 radiator ( a black ice pro Xflow no doubt!) and an MCP655 with an GTS in the loop... the maximum load temp I've seen is 56c.. And that's with a room temperature of 24c right now.

My quad needs 1.5v @ 3600 too...

Dethred, what's your ambient temperature?

With a SINGLE 120.3 radiator ( a black ice pro Xflow no doubt!) and an MCP655 with an GTS in the loop... the maximum load temp I've seen is 56c.. And that's with a room temperature of 24c right now.

My quad needs 1.5v @ 3600 too...

My room temperature is usually around 20-22c. My case temp is 28c after a few hours of gaming, but my radiators are mounted on the back. Annaconda has approximately the same temps. I just started a small FFT Prime95 burn about 2 minutes ago and the temps are 61,61,54,54

Are you using Vista? If so are you adding 15c onto the temp in monitoring programs?

To everyone else. I am not arguing against watercooling, for God's sake I have a liquid cooled PC. I am arguing against the point of this build, which in practical terms is nothing more than something to look at.

Is this thread called "Most Efficient Water Cooling Setup In the World"?

Is it called "Awesome Performance Water Cooling Setup"?

Does anywhere in the ops post say anything about performance?

No. No it doesn't. It's called "Beautiful Water Cooled Rig", because that's what it's about. Rig, which is beautiful, and happens to be water cooled.

Why don't you take this thread for what it is, or go find a performance thread.

Pointing out design flaws etc, isn't even the problem. The problem is you saying other people's opinions are stupid and/or wrong. If someone settles for average efficiency to gain maximum looks, that's their choice. Quit bashing them.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1031799766 said:
Is this thread called "Most Efficient Water Cooling Setup In the World"?

Is it called "Awesome Performance Water Cooling Setup"?

Does anywhere in the ops post say anything about performance?

No. No it doesn't. It's called "Beautiful Water Cooled Rig", because that's what it's about. Rig, which is beautiful, and happens to be water cooled.

Why don't you take this thread for what it is, or go find a performance thread.

Pointing out design flaws etc, isn't even the problem. The problem is you saying other people's opinions are stupid and/or wrong. If someone settles for average efficiency to gain maximum looks, that's their choice. Quit bashing them.

Thank you for that... it's a really impressive build, and I think the OP's intent was to share that, nothing more.

And honestly, I don't understand why it's so hard to understand that for some, in certain situations, form does come before function....

I'm sorry you guys aren't understanding what I am saying.

1.) I agreed earlier that its a good looking machine.
2.) I pointed out design flaws like several others in the thread.
3.) I pointed out how it looks nice but isn't the most practical or efficient piece of machinery.
4.) People proceed to misunderstand what I am saying.

PS: If I create a thread and post pics of my machine and title the thread: "All bow down to my great looking PC", does that mean I can tell everyone to shut up that has criticisms not pertaining to how awesome my PC looks?

If I create a thread and post pics of my machine and title the thread: "All bow down to my great looking PC", does that mean I can tell everyone to shut up that has criticisms not pertaining to how awesome my PC looks?

Yeah, you can, but your missing the point. Your agreeing that it looks good, and then continuing to criticize the builders choices from a performance standpoint... which is off topic in this thread, in my opinion.

All the arguing back and forth over efficiency has completely derailed this thread big time. Nobody said it was efficient, just that it was an impressive build, which it is. Rather the loop is configured optimally or not (and I agree it's not) from an aesthetic (hence the "beautiful" part of the OP) standpoint it was put together fairly well, that's all, no offense man, but this isn't a thread about efficiency, it's about aesthetics...read the title of the thread..... it doesn't say anything about efficiency.... just beauty.

My room temperature is usually around 20-22c. My case temp is 28c after a few hours of gaming, but my radiators are mounted on the back. Annaconda has approximately the same temps. I just started a small FFT Prime95 burn about 2 minutes ago and the temps are 61,61,54,54

Are you using Vista? If so are you adding 15c onto the temp in monitoring programs?

Trust me, I know my way around my water cooling setup. I'm using XP, and coreTemp is identifying my G0 as 100c Tjunction temperature, and giving me a load temp (orthos small FFT) of around 56c at this moment.

IntelTAT burn temperatures approach 58c on the loaded cores.

It wouldn't even make sense for my temperatures to be close to 70, since my heat dump is right on par with what my radiator can handle.

Exactly, with a well designed setup, the temp has no real reason to go over 60C. Mine never reach 48C (if you think I need to add 15C, the idle temps is 30-32 while ambient is 21C).

Anyway, the purpose of the thread is to show how nice this computer is built. We never ask to comment on the efficiency (it might still be working fine for him). Dethred, your comments has no place in this thread since nobody asked you to make those comments ;) If you want a good analogy, here's one : Someone show some pics of his Ashton Martin Vanquish car, everyone comment on how nice the car is and you say it's useless and inefficient when a Toyota Yaris can do the same task, which is to move around...

I just checked your sig and you are watercooling from what I see but you look pissed off about the inefficiency. I'm just wondering what you did wrong since it's not the norm...

Please get back on topic or I'll ask a mod to close it, which would be a waste of a nice thread.

I do believe there isn't a requirement for permission to post one's opinion in a thread. And yes if you're using a Quad in Vista you need to add 15C onto whatever temps you're getting.

And no I'm getting pretty normal temps for this setup. Unless you have some phenomenal chip, you aren't going to get better temps than me with a single 3x120mm radiator (unless your ambient temps are ridiculously low, or you are running a lower speed), even a 120.3 thermochill.

And no I'm getting pretty normal temps for this setup. Unless you have some phenomenal chip, you aren't going to get better temps than me with a single 3x120mm radiator (unless your ambient temps are ridiculously low, or you are running a lower speed), even a 120.3 thermochill.

I don't consider loading at 56c @ 22c room temperature considerably low.

I do believe there isn't a requirement for permission to post one's opinion in a thread. And yes if you're using a Quad in Vista you need to add 15C onto whatever temps you're getting.

Point me to a place where it's noted to require 15C addition if used in Vista ?? I do have a lot of experience with CoreTemp accurancy since I did a lot of research last spring. The easiest way to see if we need to add 15C or not is to get the processor undervolted and at stock speed (or lower if you wish). If the core temp match ambient or 1-2C above, then it's accurate but if it is *below* ambient, then you need to add 15C. Anyone can do this test but it's pretty pointless since CoreTemp 0.95.4 is already calculating the temps correctly.

Used a tool to pull each pin from the molex connector individually, split the cable up in to its component wires, opened the PSU so the sleeving could go all the way in to it and be properly attached, sleeved each wire and used the same tool to re-insert all the contacts in to the molex connector. Not difficult so much as very time-consuming.

Uh, look at one of the last pictures. He didn't individually sleeve all the way back to the power supply. He sleeved maybe 6 or 7 inches of the individual wires. The rest is covered in the sleeving that typically comes on a new powersupply.

See below:

5. Required Software
Here are few utilities you'll need to continue, all are freeware.

CoreTemp is a great app to read the core temperature of your multi-core processor. I’d recommend that you download the public beta (version 0.95.4) which addresses the old “coretemp crashes my system” bugs. It has been very stable for me.

Speedfan is another app you can use to measure your temps that is very robust and stable. BEWARE that the core temps speedfan reports (as of version 4.32 anyway) are INCORRECT on C2Q chips! They are too low by 15 °C.

You can go in the software and change the offsets to read +15 degrees for each core (hit the “configure” button, then “Advanced” tab, then select the “INTEL CORE” array from the “Chip” pull down menu and give each of the cores an offsets +15)

offsetyo8.gif

I know this through an experiment running both Speedfan and Coretemp at the same time while having each app log a set of load temps. I then meticulously analyzed the log files and averaged the exact time points (down to the last second) from each log to ensure a fair comparison. When I took the difference of the average CoreTemp numbers, and the average Speedfan numbers, I found that the averaged Speedfan numbers were too cold by the following values:

Code:
Core 0: 15.002
Core 1: 15.069
Core 2: 15.049
Core 3: 14.979

Just so you know, Speedfan and Coretemp both report "different" temps at any given point in time, but if you average them out, they are the same. In other words, they are either taking the temp readings a slightly different time points, or more likely, doing some sort of averaging on reads they display. The point is that both apps accurately report my core temps. You can also use speedfan to get your NB (Northbirdge) chipset temp which is something that Coretemp cannot do.

That's pretty much it. Do NOT trust the temperatures that your motherboard's free temp utility reads. "PC Probe 2" that comes with Asus boards really sucks because it's not measuring your core temps. They are what you really care about.

There are other temp monitoring programs and other stress testing programs too. These are what I recommend.... I'll only mention one other by name with the advice that you do NOT use it: TAT (thermal analysis tool). It's made by Intel and I don't care what anyone else out there thinks: it was NOT designed to read the coretemps of a C2D chip. It was written for Pentium M chips. Yes, it will display temps, and yes, sometimes they match up with the values Coretemp/Speedfan display, but I have found that TAT often reports temps higher than the real values. How do I know this? Read this thread and pay attention to uncleweb's instructions to use crystalcpuid to directly read your DTS (digital temperature sensor) and calculate your core temp yourself if you don't believe me.

I'm using Everest to report temperatures. Everest shows the Tjunction for my CPU as 100 C (which is correct). I've used CrystalCPUID to double check the direct DTS readout (0x27 = 39). 100 - 39 = 61, which is what Everest is showing.

I'm now at 3.6 / 1.4875 with idle at 42 and load at 60. I've got a FuZion, a MCP655, an EK res, and two Stealth 120s for my loop.

Point me to a place where it's noted to require 15C addition if used in Vista ?? I do have a lot of experience with CoreTemp accurancy since I did a lot of research last spring. The easiest way to see if we need to add 15C or not is to get the processor undervolted and at stock speed (or lower if you wish). If the core temp match ambient or 1-2C above, then it's accurate but if it is *below* ambient, then you need to add 15C. Anyone can do this test but it's pretty pointless since CoreTemp 0.95.4 is already calculating the temps correctly.

Tjunction needs to be 100C, if its 85 then add 15C. If you're idling within 1-2C then you're either using chilled water (or something else to lower the water temps or not getting the correct temps.

See below:

I'm using Everest to report temperatures. Everest shows the Tjunction for my CPU as 100 C (which is correct). I've used CrystalCPUID to double check the direct DTS readout (0x27 = 39). 100 - 39 = 61, which is what Everest is showing.

I'm now at 3.6 / 1.4875 with idle at 42 and load at 60. I've got a FuZion, a MCP655, an EK res, and two Stealth 120s for my loop.

What radiator(s) are you using? Ambient temps? When you "load" your CPU are you using small FFTs or a blend test? I load at 50,50,44,44 with a blend test, which is not stressing your CPU to its maximum.

What radiator(s) are you using? Ambient temps? When you "load" your CPU are you using small FFTs or a blend test? I load at 50,50,44,44 with a blend test, which is not stressing your CPU to its maximum.

1) Did you not read what I wrote above? I listed the radiators in the post you quoted.

2x Black Ice GT Stealth 120 radiator. You can see the build here.

2) Ambient is 22.

3) If I'm quoting graysky's sticky on OC...you would think I know a little about loading up the processor to max. Small FFT running for over 14.5 hours.

Here's a screenie from this morning:
9x400.png

Dude, quite simply, you don't know what you're talking about. CoreTemp 0.95.4 and many other software packages use the correct Tjunction. Just because your cooling solution isn't giving you what you want...doesn't mean the rest of us are lying.

Give it up.

Dude, quite simply, you don't know what you're talking about. CoreTemp 0.95.4 and many other software packages use the correct Tjunction. Just because your cooling solution isn't giving you what you want...doesn't mean the rest of us are lying.

Give it up.

Quite simply you can't figure out what I am talking about. Where did I say you were lying? I haven't kept up with the temp monitoring software lately and I just use Speedfan with the adjusted offset. I know Everest and Coretemp worked fine in XP with the correct core temp, but thats it. Great if these programs now work. (Coretemp beta doesn't work in Vista 64, at least for me so please don't expect me to know). Now on to your temps:

Honestly, the fact that you aren't telling me that your IHS is Lapped (which we both know makes a pretty big difference) and that your pump is modded is whats wrong here. While at the same time you're comparing your temps to my setup with neither of those mods and somehow ASSuming that I am not happy with my setup? Also, who gives a shit about what your bios is set to? Your load voltage is a scratch over 1.42, not quite the 1.4875 you stated

And please don't say "well lap your IHS and port your pump", I like my perfectly good warranties AND my setup. I more prefer how my CPU has never seen 63c or above under prime95 small FFTs even with room temps in the low 80F range.

So with a radiator that performs slightly above the ones you have and an 8800GTX in the loop, you'd think "hey that machine in the OP must be running even better." But then you have to account for the 5-10c drop from lapping the IHS, and possible couple degrees from the pump mod, and who knows what else you're not telling me, and that would probably put the machine in the OP well above the standard 60C goal for most people with CPUs. (Yes I know the CPU's can hand over 60C, lets not get into that )

Go away, you're bringing me further from the original topic than anyone.

you're bringing me further from the original topic than anyone.

Hummm... what was the original topic again?

Oh Yeah!! That's right.... A very nice looking custom built machine that happens to be water cooled... yeah.. that's it....of course, based on the previous ten to fifteen posts, you'd never know that...

Dethred, you're straying too far away from your original assertion. You said that one would need a phenomenal chip to achieve a cooler chip than your setup since your setup has more thermal capacity

If lapping the IHS drops your temperatures by 5-10c, this just PROVES that the loop isn't the limiting factor, but the contact between the loop and the chip is. This therefore this also proves that a double PA120.2 might be sufficient to cool the original loop in question.

You also said that the a Thermalright UE would be good enough to get the system at a comparable temperature to the water loop. You said that 90' joints are a terrible idea and that "You should get another case to build a PROPER watercooling setup" and that people use watercooling strictly for performance.

All three of these assertions are thread craps. All three of these assertions are false under many separate conditions. Two of these assertions have been disproved by the main players in the watercooling world.

No. I'm sorry. That's simply not true. You're trying to replace the collective enthusiast community's views with a generalization that fits your own values.

Quite simply you can't figure out what I am talking about. Where did I say you were lying? I haven't kept up with the temp monitoring software lately and I just use Speedfan with the adjusted offset. I know Everest and Coretemp worked fine in XP with the correct core temp, but thats it. Great if these programs now work. (Coretemp beta doesn't work in Vista 64, at least for me so please don't expect me to know). Now on to your temps:

Honestly, the fact that you aren't telling me that your IHS is Lapped (which we both know makes a pretty big difference) and that your pump is modded is whats wrong here. While at the same time you're comparing your temps to my setup with neither of those mods and somehow ASSuming that I am not happy with my setup? Also, who gives a shit about what your bios is set to? Your load voltage is a scratch over 1.42, not quite the 1.4875 you stated

And please don't say "well lap your IHS and port your pump", I like my perfectly good warranties AND my setup. I more prefer how my CPU has never seen 63c or above under prime95 small FFTs even with room temps in the low 80F range.

So with a radiator that performs slightly above the ones you have and an 8800GTX in the loop, you'd think "hey that machine in the OP must be running even better." But then you have to account for the 5-10c drop from lapping the IHS, and possible couple degrees from the pump mod, and who knows what else you're not telling me, and that would probably put the machine in the OP well above the standard 60C goal for most people with CPUs. (Yes I know the CPU's can hand over 60C, lets not get into that )

I'm responding to your bullshit and ignorance that "anyone with less of a cooling system than I [Dethred] have needs to add 15* to their temps, because I have to."

Dethred said:
And yes if you're using a Quad in Vista you need to add 15C onto whatever temps you're getting.

Both of these statements are absolutely false. Well, unless you're using SpeedFan.

It is 1.4875 as set in the BIOS. If you start reading some more (like the reading you DIDN'T DO on CoreTemp and Everest), then you'd know that most software incorrectly reports the Vcore...and then there's that whole Vdroop thing...let's not forget about it, shall we? 1.4875 is set so that by the time the Vdroop is at it's most...I'm still getting enough Vcore for a stable system. Believe me, I'd like to have my BIOS Vcore set lower.

The moral of the story here is: you don't know what other mods this person has done to the Murderbox. So, you cannot claim that it is simply form over function. In addition, when people started posting better load temps with a "less robust" setup, you told everyone they needed to add 15 degrees like you do (because you're using SpeedFan, which does NOT have the correct Tjunction, as mentioned in my earlier posts).

To sum up:

Your assertions are false. Sure, the primary goal of that system is probably prettiness. However, just because it is pretty doesn't mean it is all show and no go. If you need an example, please just go here.

By the way, regardless of the performance and elbows/tees, that Murderbox case is very nicely done.

Dethred, if you want to stand by your own arguments and claims, please be a man and find evidence to back up your facts. If you cannot do this, then it's pointless to argue...

What you are doing in this thread is thread crapping, especially when there is almost no text, just pictures which isn't begging to be debated on the merits of the owner choice.

And before I'll shut up to avoid feeding your brain to produce more crap, let me say that your power supply choice is also very terrible from a knowledgeable community ;)

Back