be quiet pure rock, is it enough for a stock i7-9700k?

basically wondering if this cooler is enough to keep the i7-9700k from thermal throttling at stock 4.6 all 8 core frequency?

cooler is 130w rated and the 9700k seems to pull a lot more than 130w in avx tests, but in non-avx stresstesting and gaming, which is what I will be doing, it seems to pull a lot less?

i'm wondering if the cooler is good enough to stop any throttling and can keep 4.6 ghz for 24/7 use on all 8 cores?

other cooling is a basic miditower case with 1 exhaust and 1 intake fan only so nothing big here, I prefer silent builds but just worried the cooler is too weak for even stock turbo perhaps,

should I get the dark rock 4 instead ? on a pretty tight budget aswell, any comments and help appreciated! :)

Yes, Pure Rock will be fine. You will need more case airflow if you run a GPU too. Basic rule of thumb is for every fan we have on cooling component we need at least one that is one size bigger for case airflow. So if CPU cooler has a 120mm fan and GPU has 2x 80/90mm fans we need 2-3x 140mm case intake fans to supply them with cool air.

What case are you gong to use? 1x intake and 1x exhaust fan means case only has 1x fan of airflow. That is enough for CPU cooler, but not for CPU and GPU.

Basic rule of thumb is the bigger the cooler / more cooling ability it has, the slower it's fan/s will run and the quieter it will be.

Where on Earth are you located? What online shops can you buy from?

Yes, Pure Rock will be fine. You will need more case airflow if you run a GPU too. Basic rule of thumb is for every fan we have on cooling component we need at least one that is one size bigger for case airflow. So if CPU cooler has a 120mm fan and GPU has 2x 80/90mm fans we need 2-3x 140mm case intake fans to supply them with cool air.

What case are you gong to use? 1x intake and 1x exhaust fan means case only has 1x fan of airflow. That is enough for CPU cooler, but not for CPU and GPU.

Basic rule of thumb is the bigger the cooler / more cooling ability it has, the slower it's fan/s will run and the quieter it will be.

Where on Earth are you located? What online shops can you buy from?

i'm in Sweden, anyway I ordered a Noctua NH-U12s as it seems slightly better in terms of cooling and noise than the pure rock, my parts should arrive tomorrow including the 9700k,

hopefully all will be well xD

i'm in Sweden, anyway I ordered a Noctua NH-U12s as it seems slightly better in terms of cooling and noise than the pure rock, my parts should arrive tomorrow including the 9700k,

hopefully all will be well xD
Most important part of cooling is having a case that flows cool intake air to components and removes component heated exhaust air without it mixing with the cool intake air. This is because every degree warmer the air is going into cooler becomes a degree hotter component is .. so if room temp is 22c and cooler is receiving 22c air making CPU 75c at 100% load. But if intake air is mixing with heated air raisigng it's temp to 27c the CPU will be 80c.

Often the culprit is GPU heated exhaust because of how GPU coolers are designed and exhaust air in all directions except where their fans and PCB are. I almost always remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU and thus improve front to back airflow around GPU.

Easy way to determine how many case intakes and matching exhaust venting is needs is to total up how many cooler fans (not counting stacked fans) are being used. CPU cooler is 1x 120 / 140mm fan and GPU is 2x-3x 80 / 90mm fans. So if case has 1x 140mm intake fan for CPU airflow and 1-2x 140mm fans for GPU airflow things should run cool and quiet.

Here is link to guide to case airflow as well as a guide to making a low cost remote thermometer to monitor air temp going into coolers:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22319249-post5.html

Back