be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W Power Supply Review

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W Power Supply Review - This may come as a shock to you, but be quiet! power supplies are all about...wait for it...exceptionally quiet operation. However that is not the only virtue the Pure Power 10 series extols. be quiet tells us that this PP10 has "peerless dependability" and "best-in-class features." Let's see if we can set it on fire!

Nice review as always.

Been curious for a while about their power supplies and air coolers. Now I finally get a good review of one and I am glad I skipped on them.

Quiet is nice and all but Power Quality & Reliability is all I really care about.

OT..... I like the new 'Previous Page' & 'Next Page' buttons at the bottom of the page. Forgot to comment on them the other day..o well, I'm an airhead.

It might have worked out in one of those cases that suck air from under the case, and blow it out the back. I dont have the air on most of the time, so 30c is the min my powersupply will ever see. 45c/113f is the torture test, i feel sorry for what ever is in that poor case that is causing the bottom 1/3 of the case to have 45c ambient temps. On that note, it might be interesting to apply the same thing to the cpu cooler tests. That i7 wont idle at 35c, if case temps are 45c.

Next up. just leave it outside in phoenix, even in the shade. Lets see how long she lasts :)

That's disappointing. I had this earmarked as the PSU for my next build as Jonnyguru gave it a pretty good review.

Thanks for the review. As someone who values quietness, I was all over this article. I'm most disappointed to see it fail, of course, but also thankful, as it's information I need to know. I also particularly appreciate your highlighting the pathetically restrictive operating temperature range.

I can't remember the last time I heard a PSU and I had a PC Power and Cooling 750w crossfire edition with 80mm fan. Always something in the case louder or you know the speakers. Sacrificing basic operational safety limits for a little silence is not good. Thanks for the warning.

I expect power supplies to not stop at the rating but more like 110%-120% above the rating as a minimum. 30c? Does not sound like a 600w power supply more like a 500w power supply. I am looking for something around 700w-750w so I need to go through more of these reviews.

Give it a "Fail!" because it doesn't work properly outside its design specs? Shame on you!
You can, to some degree, blame BeQuiet! for going by those specs, but don't say the PSU doesn't work as advertised.
While I agree that having 30C as the maximum operating temperature does feel a bit harsh that's still not a problem for a large portion of the consumer base. The PSU being fed room temperature air in combination with temps (well) below 30C is the norm unless you live in a (sub)tropical climate.
I'd very much like to also see a) how it performs at 600W load with 30C intake air, and b) how much power it can deliver with 45C intake air.
Since it did pass the torture test with 80% load at 45C intake I can't see this PSU failing on a user unless the user a) really needs a more powerful (>600W) PSU in the first place, or b) has a very challenging thermal environment.

Give it a "Fail!" because it doesn't work properly outside its design specs? Shame on you!
You can, to some degree, blame BeQuiet! for going by those specs, but don't say the PSU doesn't work as advertised.
While I agree that having 30C as the maximum operating temperature does feel a bit harsh that's still not a problem for a large portion of the consumer base. The PSU being fed room temperature air in combination with temps (well) below 30C is the norm unless you live in a (sub)tropical climate.
I'd very much like to also see a) how it performs at 600W load with 30C intake air, and b) how much power it can deliver with 45C intake air.
Since it did pass the torture test with 80% load at 45C intake I can't see this PSU failing on a user unless the user a) really needs a more powerful (>600W) PSU in the first place, or b) has a very challenging thermal environment.

The criteria for pass/fail have been the same for over 10 years. I do not see us lowering our criteria at this point in time. The point of our testing can be found here https://www.hardocp.com/article/2007/02/25/hard_look_at_power_supplies/ and it very much is about more realistic operating conditions.

The criteria for pass/fail have been the same for over 10 years. I do not see us lowering our criteria at this point in time. ...
I don't suggest you to change your criteria. I suggest you to make note if your criteria fit the product design or not, and are very clear about this in the verdict. What troubles me the most is that your "Fail" stamp will to most readers imply that this is a bad product, when in fact it has only failed one part of your test suite where you force it to work way out of its desing scope. In fact, it's only the "80Plus" tests in your suite that let it operate as designed, and it does pass those...
You do adapt the amount of power drawn from each tested PSU based on how much it's rated for rather than just using the same wattages for all PSUs, don't you?

This PSU is not designed to be used in your test conditions, therefore it fails your test. That doesn't mean the product as such is flawed.
The only proper conclusion regarding this PSU I can get from your test suite is that it will function well and deliver at least 80% of its rated load even when operating in an environment 15C warmer than what it's designed for.
The overheat protection seems to work properly as well...

I would suggest that you read the document I linked above that is linked in every review we have published for the last decade. It will answer all of your questions.

There's huge population in Asia (especially Indian and Indonesian region) living at climate between 35-40°c. If you live in that region, will you buy it?

If I lived in a hot climate air conditioning would be a higher priority than a computer...
... and who says Pure Power is intended to be sold in Asia?

This PSU is not designed to be used in your test conditions, therefore it fails your test. That doesn't mean the product as such is flawed.
The only proper conclusion regarding this PSU I can get from your test suite is that it will function well and deliver at least 80% of its rated load even when operating in an environment 15C warmer than what it's designed for.
The overheat protection seems to work properly as well...
be Quiet requested we review this PSU. They are fully aware of our testing parameters. We do NOT change our testing criteria because the PSU is weak on specs out of the box.

Just in case you missed it....

FAIL_250-Forum.jpg

Read the review, got to the conclusion and I have heard the name be quiet briefly but never heard anyone be very vocal about them at all, so where are all these vocal european be quiet fanboys ?

Never even heard people be vocal about them let alone very vocal, mind you fuck knows what mainland europeans get the fuck upto.

Never bought any of their stuff as its more than likely shit like their shit psu.

30oC, my corsair ax1500i runs warmer than that on a normal day and I live in cold country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read the review, got to the conclusion and I have heard the name be quiet briefly but never heard anyone be very vocal about them at all, so where are all these vocal european be quiet fanboys ?

Never even heard people be vocal about them let alone very vocal, mind you fuck knows what mainland europeans get the fuck upto.

Continental Europe, Germany in particular. Which I do find somewhat interesting as the seemingly average ambient noise level when I am in Germany is much higher than I am used to when I am in the United States.

Back