be quiet dark power pro ticking/clicking noise

jetfire

Limp Gawd
started doing this last week and was a slow ticking noise that just got faster to the point the system whould keep restarting and had to be shut down for a few hrs but now it is constantly restarting at random points.

it is from 2008 so well past the warranty and lucky i got a new psu today but is it worth fixing and what could be the problem as need this new psu for my new build.

thanks

started doing this last week and was a slow ticking noise that just got faster to the point the system whould keep restarting and had to be shut down for a few hrs but now it is constantly restarting at random points.

it is from 2008 so well past the warranty and lucky i got a new psu today but is it worth fixing and what could be the problem as need this new psu for my new build.

thanks

It’s time to invest in a new power supply.

i got a new psu today but want to try fix it if possible as it is worth more than the computer it is in and was for my thread ripper build.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/100...formance-80plus-platinum-digital-power-supply

DSC_0126_01.JPG

thanks

Without being able to examine the unit, I'd say that there's a possibility of one or both the main line capacitors has failed and is causing the switching transformer to "sing". I've had this happen on old units where the PSU either won't start up and make ticking/buzzing/singing noises, power cycle constantly or not have proper voltage regulation.

If it's a good quality built unit, it's worth recapping, but you need to know what you're doing. Completely recapping a power supply costs around $30-$40 depending on the number of capacitors the unit has.

well i found a guy local that can recap it and said about 40 quid so can get that sorted.

but this new psu is making a buzzing sound it is not even under any load and the fan is not spinning but it is def coming from the psu:(

Back