Be On Edge Now

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by fightingfi, May 11, 2018.

1. fightingfi

fightingfi Look at Me! I need the attention.

2. ManofGod

ManofGod [H]ardForum Junkie

3. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

Edge is now my main browser...I like it better then Chrome or Firefox...no browser is 100% secure and new vulnerabilities will pop up all the time...it's about how fast they are to fix the exploits

Sulphademus and heatlesssun like this.
  4. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

Read up on this a bit, it's a pretty complex exploit to implement and Google is saying that other browsers might be susceptible to the same kind of attack, except Chrome. Certainly not a good thing and needs to be resolved. But I wouldn't expect a lot of real world exploits unless there's something else going on.

Edge has become a pretty good browser overall, the page UI is very responsive, scrolling and zooming are much better than Chrome and FF.

polonyc2 likes this.
  5. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

I can't use Edge anyway. There are just too many little things that I take for granted in Chrome like Right-Click Google search. It's even a bit that way when I try to use FireFox, but that browser manages to tick enough boxes that I could make it work for me. Edge doesn't.

EDIT: The only thing I use Edge for is for PDF viewing, ever since Google added some kind of slow clean-up routine to Chrome which makes closing and opening it again in rapid succession impossible.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  6. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

i'm sure the 10 people that use it are going to be devastated.

odditory, grasshoppa and Mazzspeed like this.
  7. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

It's an awesome application.

..To install Firefox Quantum! ;)

Master_shake_ and PliotronX like this.
  8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

And watch Netflix in 4k though the Windows 10 app is better with 5.1 sound and picture-in-picture. And on a touch screen Windows 10 device.

9. PliotronX

PliotronX [H]ard|Gawd

"Switch anyway" don't mind if I do...

10. gwarren007

gwarren007 [H]ardForum Junkie

Google broke MS code. Brillant!!!

11. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

Sure. Did you look at the POC code? When you have to go to GitHub and compile something, not a huge threat at this point.

12. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

Don't really care for Netflix and I honestly think 4k is a little too sharp considering film.

Once computer generated effects are added to movies they become far too apparent in 4k and as a result movies/TV series tend to look more like video games, an issue that's compounded by high Hz and frame interpolation. Of course, considering a screen of actual cinema size, the benefits of 4k become only too apparent as naturally the picture softens a little too much as the individual pixels are made larger.

13. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

That's fine. Never heard of that and don't care for that. That's desktop Linux. I'm always amazed how critical Linux folks are as they constantly blast folks about when they last used Linux. Then the report comes back bad, step away from the keyboard. While never having a clue about what they are bashing.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  14. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

I haven't blasted anyone.

15. AltTabbins

AltTabbins Muh Feelz Got [H]urt Right in the Pussy

You have a very short memory.

heatlesssun likes this.
  16. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Netflix works at 4k HDR and 5.1 audio in linux, with the Android Netflix app. So nobody really needs Windows for Netflix. And certainly not Edge God forbid.

17. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

I certainly haven't blasted yourself and I'm not at all interested in any arguments over a browser of all things. My comment was light hearted tongue in cheek, relax. :)

Interesting!

18. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

I seriously doubt this works, TVs require firmware support for Netflix UHD. Please feel free to post evidence if you actually have any. And you don't need Edge for Netflix 4k. Only the Windows 10 app supports both 4k and 5.1.

19. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

I read somewhere in my Internet travels the other week that people were noticing that the Netflix Android app wasn't streaming UHD 4k, I can't remember where I read it. So even if you could run the Android Netflix app under Linux, it may not help anyway?

20. B00nie

Just check your local shop for 'Android 4k tv' if you need proof. I own a Sony 65" 4k HDR 5.1 capable Android tv. Windows does not have exclusive on technology, nobody would be THAT stupid.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23878

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  21. B00nie

If you don't have premium subscription it doesn't stream 4k.

heatlesssun likes this.
  22. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

Which has absolutely nothing to do with support under desktop Linux. You're just throwing out random stuff now.

23. B00nie

I never said desktop linux but linux. I'm sure the support will come to desktop too - although I wouldn't understand why anyone would want to watch tv from a computer. Well, unless it's a media box like my Rock64 which can do 4k at 60fps and runs on Droid among other OS options.

As for portability goes if you sit in a car with your kids, you don't need 4k or 5.1.

24. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/13444?ba=SwiftypeResultClick&q=4k

We were talking about PCs. Now Android apps on TVs because that's Linux? LOL. And if you don't get why people would want to watch TV from a computer... Look at the number of people that complained about Microsoft dropping Windows Media Center.

25. B00nie

I've never used Windows media center even when I still used windows. Much better players were available.

26. AltTabbins

AltTabbins Muh Feelz Got [H]urt Right in the Pussy

None that had any kind real support for CableCard though. WMC was amazing for DVR functionality offering things for free that other companies only had paid versions of (and even the paid versions were absolute shit compared to WMC).

heatlesssun likes this.
  27. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

As Alt said, nothing to this day really compares to WMC DVR and CableCard support. But in the age of streaming it just isn't the deal it was a decade ago.

You just say some bizarre stuff. Video playback on PCs has LONG been a big deal. Even in the mobile age a laptop screen if the largest screen that people carry around. I could only image giving someone a laptop that couldn't playback YouTube video and how that would play out.

28. pendragon1

pendragon1 [H]ardForum Junkie

fucking typical, windows in thread title, turns to Linux shitposts.

ManofGod, Chuklr and heatlesssun like this.
  29. B00nie

I've always had a dedicated DVR box, why set up a computer for that? Youtube is not tv, I can understand someone playing Youtube with a pc but tv? Nope. Just way too complicated.

30. B00nie

No, just a thread full of propaganda abotu a total trainwreck of a browser that nobody should use.

31. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

At the height of WMC it was WAY more powerful than any set top box DVR and still is in a some ways. Streaming though has changed the industry. Indeed, who much needs a set top box DVR these days?

There are actually people who use Edge everyday and it works well for them. That's not propaganda, that's just reporting on daily use of something. No one here is telling others to use Edge, but you don't use it so I have no idea why you're so interested in something you don't use.

Chuklr and pendragon1 like this.
  32. B00nie

A set top box is just superior to any computer based solution as it sits in the background and is programmed to do what it does without any need from me to interfere with it or force me to plug a desktop or a laptop to the TV. Just a superior user experience. I don't have to worry about a Windows update canceling my DVR for example.

The reason I oppose Edge is the inhumane amount of stress and suffering Microsoft browsers and web applications built on them have caused end users and admins especially. It's criminal to use them I say.

33. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

If you've never used WMC then again I have no idea why you are commenting on it so much. Sure a set top box is simpler, that was never the point behind WMC. Having the files from the shows and being able to build an offiline library, that's what drew people to it. Again, in the age of streaming WMC, DVRs, just not as useful.

You're entitled to your own opinion but all that nonsense about 4k support? The main reason I use Edge primary is because its page rendering, scrolling and touch support is smoother than Chrome, FF or Opera. You can't just make up whatever you want to counter arguments over everyday use from people who actually use something.

34. B00nie

Weirdly enough I have a library of full hd titles saved from the set top (both aerial and satellite, it has 4 tuners two for aerial antennas and two for satellites so I can record up to 4 programs in parallel). I guess I work miracles. My current linux based set top also streams youtube and other streaming sources conveniently.

A fancy feature is about as much valid a reason to use a detrimental product is a high is to use drugs. It's bad for you, don't do it. IE and its derivatives have caused millions and millions of dollars of damage and human suffering along the way. Just say no to the insanity.

35. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

First is was the mythical Chrome Netflix 4k extension. Then it was running the Android Netflix app on Linux for 4k support. You're making it up as you go along at this point.

Since when did UI responsiveness become a fancy feature?

36. B00nie

Keep on trolling. We all don't have some lame set top boxes locked down by the service provider: http://www.gigablue.de/home/

UI responsiveness is quite useless feature when the browser croaks and dies in most uses, you're right. I was talking about the ability to temporarily store Netflix titles.

37. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Stay [H]ard

Gee, a HTPC running Linux. Nothing at all special about that and if HTPCs with Linux had ever had CableCard support no one would have cared much and WMC.

Your info just isn't good on just about everything in this thread.

38. B00nie

It's not a htpc lol. Get a grip. And it's a fact that Edge just doesn't work with a lot of websites and webapps. Just like 'good' ol IE. Why bother following the standards Microsoft thinks, maybe some idiot will still be fooled into making Edge based webapps that tie the end users to a Windows ecosystem.

39. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed Gawd

People still run cable TV in the US? Isn't that a relic with a vastly outdated pricing model now?

Last time I went to the US it was a million channels of pure garbage.

40. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

what do they use in other countries?