BCLK issue, or "My battle with OCD"

JDanser

Limp Gawd
Evening everyone.
I just slapped together the rig in my sig and noticed something a little funny.
With the BCLK set at 100mhz x 44 multiplier, I'm noticing that several different programs (CPU-Z, CoreTemp, etc) report BCLK as 99.1mhz for an overall CPU clock of 4.3-something Ghz. It's a pretty piddling gripe being as it's rock solid and runs incredibly cool, but I'd feel a lot better staring at a nice round number (4400mhz).

TL;DR : BCLK is sagging to 99mhz when set to 100 in bios. VCORE and all other system voltages/frequencies are normal. Is this a problem with hardware reporting, mainboard settings,etc or am I just being highly anal?

It could be your board, or a variety of any other factors.

Try setting it to 101 mhz and see what happens. As I recall, 1155 should be able to tolerate 95-105 mhz.

You most likely will never see 100.00 exactly. You can offset the BCLK in the BIOS to target 100, but you probably won't ever get it perfect. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Disable 'Spread Spectrum' in your BIOS. Worked for me on my AsRock board.

It will never stay exactly at what it is set. There will always be some variance in it as it is never locked on that exact number. If you want to see you speed at or above what your multi is for your OCD, then set it to 100.3 or something of that sort. Mine is usually at what it is set to or slightly above (set at 100.3 will be around 100.36 up to 100.47 at times at idle) You may want to make sure you are on the latest BIOS revision then stop worrying about it and enjoy the computer ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. All of the above worked like a charm. I left spread spectrum on (there's a lot of really EMI noisy crap in my room) and just gave the BCLK a little nudge up to 100.4. Sits between 100.1 and 100.4 now, which is good enough to satisfy my OCD (because 99 just sucks). :D

IMHO you are concentrating on the wrong problem.

I think the clock variation has to do with the quality of the crystal oscillator on your MoBo. It has a certain tolerance for errors, and I think that tolerance make it bounce around a little bit. My P55 motherboard fluctuates between 100 and 99.9. I don't really care though. A 3 MHz difference when you are running at 3 GHz is 1% of your overall performance; it doesn't matter.

Back