BB UT2K4 SE hot deal cancelled

djskankho

Gawd
I orded the UT2K4 dvd edition the other week for $29.99 and got an e-mail today saying the order was cancelled. They don't have the dvd edition anymore and the cd edition went up to $39.99. That doesn't seem very fair.

It sounds like quite a few BB preorderers are getting the shaft. There isn't really anything BB can do now, though, because the special edition is only being made in a limited quantity.

That said, I got mine at Fry's on Wednesday, and it's awesome :)

Best Buy tries to screw you over every chance they get. Especially with MIR's. Best Buy has been going downhill for quite a while now. They aren't hardly worth ordering from no matter how cheap the price IMO.

I just went into the local on the 16th and picked it up. They had about 20 and they were priced @ 29.99

Originally posted by mroony
I just went into the local on the 16th and picked it up. They had about 20 and they were priced @ 29.99
Ya, same here, I went wednesday before they were supposed to come out and picked one up.

Got mine tuesday at BB. COuldnt find the thing anywhere nor get soemone to help me even though I called in advance. I found one near a register. 29.99

Picked mine up that Tuesday before it was released at BB, for 29.99

Happened to me and three of my buddies. Oh well. Went to CompUSA and picked it up there. BTW we had to ask for the game, they had only put of the regular editions of the shelf.

Awesome game

god i want this game lol every time someone says oh its great you should buy it i want to beat their ass!!! :(

Originally posted by djskankho
I orded the UT2K4 dvd edition the other week for $29.99 and got an e-mail today saying the order was cancelled. They don't have the dvd edition anymore and the cd edition went up to $39.99. That doesn't seem very fair.

So you're mad that you preodered a limited quantity game over a month after it was available for preorder, and it got cancelled because they ran out? Too frikkin' bad!! It's not like Best Buy was the only place that had to cancel orders because they ran out.

As far as the price going up to $39.99, it was ON SALE last week. Same thing they do with almost every new game that comes out - put it on sale the first week.

Also, this isn't a hot deal. You're just bitching because you ordered a month too late and want to blame it on anyone but yourself. Whatever.

Tim

Originally posted by burningrave101
Best Buy tries to screw you over every chance they get. Especially with MIR's. Best Buy has been going downhill for quite a while now. They aren't hardly worth ordering from no matter how cheap the price IMO.

I've never had a problem with their mail in rebates. I have received thousands of dollars back from them, not one was messed up. Perhaps you've had problems because you couldn't read the directions carefully enough and follow them?

Originally posted by MasterOfNone
So you're mad that you preodered a limited quantity game over a month after it was available for preorder, and it got cancelled because they ran out? Too frikkin' bad!! It's not like Best Buy was the only place that had to cancel orders because they ran out.

As far as the price going up to $39.99, it was ON SALE last week. Same thing they do with almost every new game that comes out - put it on sale the first week.

Also, this isn't a hot deal. You're just bitching because you ordered a month too late and want to blame it on anyone but yourself. Whatever.

Tim
and its perfectly OK that they just ran out and arent bothering to make more? way to go, consumer whore

um, screw the guy who ragged on us for pre-ordering "too late"

The point of this thread was for us to bitch about getting screwed over by a company who sent out an email saying "SORRY...too bad" and offering no obvious restitution or recourse.

You just add to the pain of us getting screwed by popping in and shouting "HA HA TOOO BAD" for no good reason.

Preordering sucks anyway. The store shouldn't have sold it before the release date, and they should have said something besides all gone tough shit to their willing and paying customers.

you are a tool.

and now so am I for adding my useless response to your useless response and perpetuating the trend of internet message board argument fucktardery :rolleyes:

so thanks a lot, see what you made me do?

It's not best buy's fault they're not making more. It's annoying they took a pre-order for something they don't have but I understand it happens. I really just want the CD version now for the same price, 29.99. I think that's fair since they kept me waiting until their sale was over to cancel my order on me. I'm gonna call today, let y'all know how that goes.

It's not best buy's fault they're not making more. It's annoying they took a pre-order for something they don't have but I understand it happens. I really just want the CD version now for the same price, 29.99. I think that's fair since they kept me waiting until their sale was over to cancel my order on me. I'm gonna call today, let y'all know how that goes.

so let me get this straight, the CD version is more than the DVD version?

Here's the thing... we all knew well in advance that only a handful of copies were going to be made.

Many of us pre-ordered weeks before the game came out, how did BB rip you off? You expressed interest in the SE, however BB did not charge you for the purchase, now did they? It'd be one thing if they charged you $30, said you were getting the SE, but ran out.

Without putting money down, "pre-ordering" is like waiting in line for a ticket to a concert. There are only X tickets, and waiting does not guarantee you a ticket. The people who have their season passes get in (pre-paid preorders), the people at the begining of the line with their tents put up may get theirs (people who put down $5-$10 at the store), and people who are at the end of the line will try, and some may succeed, but will probably end up visiting a scalper.

BTW, I have 10 copies of the SE for sale. $50 shipped...

:p

I kid, I kid. I only have 2... and they're not for sale. :D

I picked up the cd version from fry's. They have it for $29.99 out the door. Plus you can still use the $10 rebate if you bought UT2003.

Originally posted by kronchev
so let me get this straight, the CD version is more than the DVD version?

They were both 29.99 at best buy. Now that the DVD Version is out, the CD version is 39.99.

They were both 29.99 at best buy. Now that the DVD Version is out, the CD version is 39.99.

wow. i hate you best buy. it costs less to make CDs than DVDs, but theyre charging more. they just want to make people buy DVD-ROMs at the same time I bet :rolleyes:

Actually they were both on sale for 29.99 for a week. Sale ended and it went back to 39.99 and the SE sold out before it could also go back up. Just buy it from EBgames.com with the $20 rebate.

Originally posted by LiquidX
Actually they were both on sale for 29.99 for a week. Sale ended and it went back to 39.99 and the SE sold out before it could also go back up. Just buy it from EBgames.com with the $20 rebate.

id rather not buy it at all. i played it at a LAN i was at this weekend and it sucks. I <3 original UT, epic has lost it

Originally posted by kronchev
id rather not buy it at all. i played it at a LAN i was at this weekend and it sucks. I <3 original UT, epic has lost it

omigosh, i think this is the best multiplayer fps i've played since rocket arena for quake 2.

Originally posted by LiquidX

It's a $20 gift voucher and I don't really shop at EB that often. Thanks for the post though I still might consider it.

haven't called BB yet, i will soon though

Well, I just called Best Buy asking them to sell me the CD version for $29.99 but they said they didn't have to honor any price on replacement merchandise for cancelled orders. So that sucks, I sure got screwed outta $10 because I tried to get the DVD Edition.

Can anyone show any proof that UT2K4 costs 29.99 in a circuitcity store? they said they won't pricematch circuitcity.com.

[edit]
Go to circuitcity.com and hit the weekly add tab at the top. Then select the store nearest you. Do a search on the add for unreal. This shows it at 29.99 and this should be good enough for them, i hope. I'm going to try it at least. Only reason I'm going through this trouble is because I can't easily get to the circuitcity near me. I suggest everyone who can get there go buy it there.
[/edit]

Can anyone confirm that the DVD SE version is gone for good or not? I keep getting conflicting stories.

I also did the BB pre-order and got screwed. I had no knowledge that the DVD version was going to be in limited supply.

If I can't get a copy of the SE version of the game I am going to be seriously pissed and send Epic a nasty gram, along with my copy of ut2k3.

Originally posted by brbubba
Can anyone confirm that the DVD SE version is gone for good or not? I keep getting conflicting stories.

I also did the BB pre-order and got screwed. I had no knowledge that the DVD version was going to be in limited supply.

If I can't get a copy of the SE version of the game I am going to be seriously pissed and send Epic a nasty gram, along with my copy of ut2k3.

not completely gone. just bought two today (11:00 am PST) from Long Beach, CA COMPUSA. so there is still hope. others have been successful at other COMPUSAs, as well.

Good Luck.

Me and my brother are also pissed at the fact they didnt state it was going to be limited. I was planning on getting it just for the extras that came with the SE on my second paycheck and now we both cant find it anywhere but far above the retail price. Oh well guess I will pick up Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow now.;)

I would have been more than happy to be offered the regular version for the same price. Even though it was the same price on sale that week, my local store was out so I was SOL anyway.

bah.

Guess I just won't play it.

I work at circuit city, laguna hills, names paul so say hi to me heh :)

but ya we had 2 dvd copies and 7 normal cd copies, i reserved one dvd for myself was gonna come back next time i worked (2 days) and i guess some ass put my copy that i put a hold for paul note on top of it under the counter where the people at customer service told me to. I called him a jerk and he said not to do that it was easiest way to get fired. His name is Austin feel free to call him a jerk.

Sold the other dvd copy 30 seconds after i reserved mine heh. The 7 copies were all sold out by the next time i came in. Maybe ill just have to get battlefield vietnam for now. I can tell you they do have it at circuit city, im just not sure how many at each store. so good luck to you all.

Why did they release the SE in such limited quanities when it seems to be the version everyone wants? Why not supply the demand and sale more?

"The point of this thread was for us to bitch about getting screwed over by a company who sent out an email saying "SORRY...too bad" and offering no obvious restitution or recourse."

My order got canceled by BB too, but they sent me a 10% off coupon good for anything on BB.com to make up for it. I assumed everyone got it but I guess not?
Also, their stores had the CD version with tags for $39 but it was $29 at the register for the first week.

~nut

Originally posted by XBLiNKX
Why did they release the SE in such limited quanities when it seems to be the version everyone wants? Why not supply the demand and sale more?

Then it wouldn't be so special, would it? :D

You know, i dont care about a special edition, i dont need the head set as i already have a pimp setup for headset and mic. I totally refused to purchase a game that is 6 cds. I WANT IT ON DVD. The last game i bought on 6 cds was a wing commander game that i dont even have the case for anymore, just the yellow cds. PUT OUT THE DAMN GAME ON DVD, i dont care if its called SE or not. Sorry about the rant, but this just pisses me off because im a gamer and i know what i want and loading 6 cds is not it.

Originally posted by MeXPuNk3r
I've never had a problem with their mail in rebates. I have received thousands of dollars back from them, not one was messed up. Perhaps you've had problems because you couldn't read the directions carefully enough and follow them?

No i dont have any problem following the directions. I havn't done any large MIR's with Best Buy personally but i've had friends that have and if you check reselleratings nearly everyone gives negative feedback on them. They ship everything they sell half assed. They couldn't even ship a PC Game i ordered from them without the front lip on the box jacked up and the jewel case cracked all because of poor packaging. They try to get out of every rebate they can.

Originally posted by nut854
My order got canceled by BB too, but they sent me a 10% off coupon good for anything on BB.com to make up for it. I assumed everyone got it but I guess not?
Also, their stores had the CD version with tags for $39 but it was $29 at the register for the first week.

~nut

Did you call them to get that 10% off? I called today and they were like, "tough". I'd like to have that discount.

Originally posted by lorcani
Then it wouldn't be so special, would it? :D

hey lorcani, didn't know special edition was interchangeable with limited edition. after all, there are some dvd movies out there tagged with special edition/ ultimate edition/ etc.. but you might be right when it comes to pc/video games.

Can anyone show any proof that UT2K4 costs 29.99 in a circuitcity store? they said they won't pricematch circuitcity.com.

Yes Circuit City has it for $29.99 in the store... If you can find one with it in stock.. The one by my house had a few copies the other day.. You got till Saturday to get it, since thats when the sale ends.... Happy Hunting and sorry to hear about the cancelled orders..

UT2K4 @ CC

Back