BB In-Store: XFX 7850 @ $107, 7770 @ $83

Ask if they have any comparable items to replace it with. Most likely the rep you find wont be dumb enough to do it, but they might..

I'm a little confused by what you are saying; what exactly should I be asking for if I go in? I figured if they can't replace it with the same item, which they can't because it is OOS all over town, then they have no option but to refund me.

Basically, warranty replacements at B&M stores don't have to be for the same item, especially when it has a lifetime warranty. So you can get something "comparable." If you get someone like I did, who thought a 660ti is comparable to a 460, you win. Worst case scenario is you have someone who knows their cards, and you break even.

Either way, you don't have to wait for the RMA.

It seems the 270x's are stocked in stores but not sure if that's "in the range" only a real nerd would know they are pretty close architecturally!

It seems the 270x's are stocked in stores but not sure if that's "in the range" only a real nerd would know they are pretty close architecturally!

My store had a shit load of 270X (XFX branded of course) in stock when I went in, along with the 260 and the clearance 7770s...There is a good chance you could try it if it isn't way outta your way...Worse case they say no...

A little OT but I thought I kinda noticed BB's brick and mortar video card prices are not as horrendous as they used to be last time I was in there. I assume maybe that new CEO's low prices policy or something?

The one I remember was a R270X for 249. That's actually not a horrible deal, or at least not as horrible as their card pricing used to be IIRC. "Only" a 50 dollar premium over typical 199 online pricing, which might even be worth it of course if you want or need something right away (although tax vs newegg still hurts). And I think their Nvidia card pricing similarly was "not horrendous" though I dont remember examples.

A little OT but I thought I kinda noticed BB's brick and mortar video card prices are not as horrendous as they used to be last time I was in there. I assume maybe that new CEO's low prices policy or something?

The one I remember was a R270X for 249. That's actually not a horrible deal, or at least not as horrible as their card pricing used to be IIRC. "Only" a 50 dollar premium over typical 199 online pricing, which might even be worth it of course if you want or need something right away (although tax vs newegg still hurts). And I think their Nvidia card pricing similarly was "not horrendous" though I dont remember examples.

BB pricematches online stores now, all their pricing, when used properly is good now.

BB pricematches online stores now, all their pricing, when used properly is good now.

even newegg/amazon? sounds too good to be true.

i assume they exclude sales?

Edit: I googled for more info, and the comments section of this article is a decent discussion of some of the "gotchas" with BB/Target online price matching (one of the big ones seems to be when they have their own retailer specific SKU, therefore making the exact item impossible to find online). Still seems like could have utility in certain cases.

http://lifehacker.com/best-buy-and-target-will-match-online-prices-with-some-509083761

Last edited:
even newegg/amazon? sounds too good to be true.

i assume they exclude sales?

Edit: I googled for more info, and the comments section of this article is a decent discussion of some of the "gotchas" with BB/Target online price matching (one of the big ones seems to be when they have their own retailer specific SKU, therefore making the exact item impossible to find online). Still seems like could have utility in certain cases.

http://lifehacker.com/best-buy-and-target-will-match-online-prices-with-some-509083761
I've had pretty good luck with price matching at Best Buy since they started matching online. I've matched to B&H, Amazon, Walmart Online, Newegg and Tiger Direct. Basically, I put the Amazon and RedLaser app on my phone and scan the barcode of anything I plan on buying (and of course already know there is a cheaper price to be had). I show the cashier and as long as it's the same item, it's never been an issue.

Having worked at Best Buy, there aren't a lot of items with different model numbers (the actual SKU number is ALWAYS retailer-specific) outside of laptops and desktops. Given they are sold at or below cost, this isn't a surprise. Everything else I've ever looked at (so that excludes appliances) is the same model all over.

I am currently running a 4850 1g...I wonder if I should go on the prowl for a XFX 7850.

I am currently running a 4850 1g...I wonder if I should go on the prowl for a XFX 7850.

it would be a good upgrade, but you may be extremely late to the game...

You'd be surprised around here where I live. There are a few Best Buy stores near me, and one in particular almost always has stuff like this rotting on the shelves. I will take a look around, and no big deal if I can't find one.

Newegg has the PowerCooler 7850 2gb for arund the same price after $30 rebate.

Thanks for that..

Of course now, I am thinking more upgrades for my entire computer...which always happens when I venture into the hot deals forum :D

Back