BB In-Store: XFX 7850 @ $107, 7770 @ $83

gordon151

Gawd
For those interested and are lucky to find them, Best Buy has the XFX Ultra OC editions of the 7770 and 7850 on clearance for $83 and $107 respectively inside their stores.

They also have a 10% coupon on all clearance/open box items promotion going on for next 3 days (clear out stock of returns), so it lowers them both to $78 and $96 respectively.

Last edited:
I snagged all three of these available near me a while back, kinda wish I'd have waited for the 10% off. They aren't all that great for mining litecoins since they have a crappy heatsink that you can't replace without voiding the warranty. That said I've got three of them running in one machine and average ~950khs. I removed the crappy aluminum shielding around the heatsink and underclocked them to 826/1050 IIRC. They're pretty stable at ~78c with a 120mm sitting on top of all three (no PCIE riser cables, so they're pretty cramped in there).

They had one of these left at my local store. Not sure if it is the same exact SKU as it was only marked down to $130. Do the normal ones normally come with 4 "free" games?

With the 10% code, it brought it down to $117.

Might keep it or sell it.. haven't quite decided yet.

I snagged all three of these available near me a while back, kinda wish I'd have waited for the 10% off. They aren't all that great for mining litecoins since they have a crappy heatsink that you can't replace without voiding the warranty. That said I've got three of them running in one machine and average ~950khs. I removed the crappy aluminum shielding around the heatsink and underclocked them to 826/1050 IIRC. They're pretty stable at ~78c with a 120mm sitting on top of all three (no PCIE riser cables, so they're pretty cramped in there).

Actually, if you are in the US, you are allowed to replace the heatsink and it will not void the warranty. I looked at a few reviews and one of them stated that they had contacted XFX about it, and that is what they said.

As long as it is put back to stock before sending in for warranty, they are fine with it.

Alrighty, The BB store in Evanston, Illinois had 3 XFX 7850's still in stock as of today, 1/2/14, ( 2 now, because I bought one ). Price on the shelf was $107.99 and it was marked as clearance. They were over in the "gaming" section.

No, they would not let me buy more than one or use multiple coupons.

The coupon did not work at the register, but the cashier was kind enough to enter it manually. So, my cost out the door including tax was $105.93.

Guess both my 5850's will get sold off now because I caught a deal on a 7970 for $179 from MicroCenter about 2 months ago.

We have 1 store in the area with some. I'm debating but will probably pass for now.

They had one of these left at my local store. Not sure if it is the same exact SKU as it was only marked down to $130. Do the normal ones normally come with 4 "free" games?

With the 10% code, it brought it down to $117.

Might keep it or sell it.. haven't quite decided yet.

Oh wow, I didn't see the 4 games free sticker until you mentioned it.
Registered the product for the "double lifetime warranty" and there was a section to redeem game codes.

Congratulations on receiving: BioShock Infinite & Tomb Raider: Download process : Go to www.amd.com/neversettlepromo, complete the form to receive Steam Key Codes. Go to www.steampowered.com/getsteam, download the free Steam installer, Save the Steam Install file to your computer. Run the “Steaminstall” application to install Steam. Lauch Steam, go to the Games menu to “Activate a Product on Steam” and enter the free key codes you received from AMD.
Congratulations on receiving: Hitman Absolution, you can download free Steam Installer from www.steampowered.com/getsteam, after lauching Steam, u can go to Games menu to “Activate a Product on Steam” and enter the free keycode you received from XFX Support when you registered your participating product.

Last edited:
I think I have decided to keep the 7850 for now. Seems quite a bit faster than a single 6870 from the limited amount of game playing I have done so far. Even have a second one on the way.

I wonder how much driver updates have helped compared to how performance was when the 7850 reviews were being done.

Best buy is running 5x reward points on all purchases today and tomorow just fyi

Best buy is running 5x reward points on all purchases today and tomorow just fyi

Fuck, wish I had known this..I snagged one this afternoon since I had to drive ~35 miles (each way) to the damn Social Security Office and BB is only 2 miles from there...We got about 3.5" of snow and .75" of ice last night (hence the reason I didn't wanna make the drive)...

My store didn't have any, but since my best friend is the Operations Manager I went and had a little chat with him..Turns out since they are available from the website and "other stores" any store can order it for you..just give them the SKU number..The beauty is that since they are ordering it, the coupon applies..I got mine shipped to my house with 2nd day shipping (thanks to my buddy) for $99 after the coupon...

Honestly if anyone wants the 7770's let me know, both of my stores have em.

Fuck, wish I had known this..I snagged one this afternoon since I had to drive ~35 miles (each way) to the damn Social Security Office and BB is only 2 miles from there...We got about 3.5" of snow and .75" of ice last night (hence the reason I didn't wanna make the drive)...

My store didn't have any, but since my best friend is the Operations Manager I went and had a little chat with him..Turns out since they are available from the website and "other stores" any store can order it for you..just give them the SKU number..The beauty is that since they are ordering it, the coupon applies..I got mine shipped to my house with 2nd day shipping (thanks to my buddy) for $99 after the coupon...

Did not know you can do that, thanks for info.

Do some stores mark them down more than other stores? I called my closest store and the guy said they had 1 left and it was $139.99.

If it's the XFX 7850s I have that cooler is nicer than you give it credit, vapor chamber with big heatpipes.

And I may be wrong, but I thought xfx was one of the only manufacturers that doesn't void warranties for aftermarket coolers.

Do some stores mark them down more than other stores? I called my closest store and the guy said they had 1 left and it was $139.99.

They need to actually ring it up...It will show up as $107 once they ring it up, and that is without the coupon that offers another 10%...My store showed it as $139 as well, but when my buddy looked at Lexington Park's location it was showing @ $107 so he said it was just that it has been updated quicker..

Also, my store has a shit load of 7770s as well, I counted 7 or 8 on the shelf..If they drop them down to $65~70 then I would might grab a couple of them.

They need to actually ring it up...It will show up as $107 once they ring it up, and that is without the coupon that offers another 10%...My store showed it as $139 as well, but when my buddy looked at Lexington Park's location it was showing @ $107 so he said it was just that it has been updated quicker..

Also, my store has a shit load of 7770s as well, I counted 7 or 8 on the shelf..If they drop them down to $65~70 then I would might grab a couple of them.

I don't doubt you, but I don't exactly trust BB either. My local BB is still about 40 miles from me. If I knew that would happen I would go but I'm afraid they'll just look at me and say, "$140 please."

Did you guys see it online as in stock? I do not see it online as in stock but wondered if it still might be at my local store.

I ended up picking one up that I didn't even need, but the games thing doesn't work when I registered the card.

I ended up picking one up that I didn't even need, but the games thing doesn't work when I registered the card.

There should have been a door hanger card in the box that has the serial number and a special registration code on it.

If it's the XFX 7850s I have that cooler is nicer than you give it credit, vapor chamber with big heatpipes.

And I may be wrong, but I thought xfx was one of the only manufacturers that doesn't void warranties for aftermarket coolers.

Mine doesn't have the heatpipe cooler. I am guessing that they updated the cooler at some point. Now it is just a larger aluminum heatsink. Seems to keep the temps down fine even when overclocking though.

I don't doubt you, but I don't exactly trust BB either. My local BB is still about 40 miles from me. If I knew that would happen I would go but I'm afraid they'll just look at me and say, "$140 please."

My BB has it for $135 but said that was low as it goes. Rang it up and said it was $45 off but I guess it's $45 off whatever the original price is.

I have a MSI 6950 2GB. I wouldn't mind less power draw and I can OC it for sure if I were to switch. The 1GB is what worries me.
Don't really feel like XFire...
I planned to wait on the 290x and those ones to come down or even a 7950.

What is your take on this everyone?

I have a MSI 6950 2GB. I wouldn't mind less power draw and I can OC it for sure if I were to switch. The 1GB is what worries me.

From all the reviews I saw, it looks like 1GB is all you need for 1080p. Look at the reviews yourself.

Above that, or if you are running a bunch of custom high-res texture mods, you want more VRAM.

That being said, when I was playing Skyrim on my 6870s as well as Crysis 2 with the high res texture packs, both ran perfectly fine.

I read a review on a MSI 7850 1gb with a factory overclock and it was 1 frame per second faster than the standard 2gb 7850 at 1080p. At higher resolutions it fell behind. However if you have a 6950 I don't think I would spend around $100 for the 7850 for a little less power draw. Just take that money and put it toward what you really want.

I was going to get the 7850 and stop using my 4890 but Best Buy wouldn't budge from $135 so at that price I didn't think it was worth it.

Went to both the BB's in my area today and neither had the 7850 cards after it said they were in stock online for both stores. :mad:

Went to both the BB's in my area today and neither had the 7850 cards after it said they were in stock online for both stores. :mad:

i had the same issue at my store, they had a clearance table by the geek squad area tucked in a corner, thats where the 7850 and a few other card clearances were.

got the one mentioned earlier, the 117 one with 4 games, had some rewards certs so it came to under 100 bucks, worth keeping for me.

i had the same issue at my store, they had a clearance table by the geek squad area tucked in a corner, thats where the 7850 and a few other card clearances were.

got the one mentioned earlier, the 117 one with 4 games, had some rewards certs so it came to under 100 bucks, worth keeping for me.

Yeah, one of the stores I went to had a clearance endcap, but they had no video cards on it. Really pisses me off, when the site says BOTH stores I visited have them in stock.

Yeah, one of the stores I went to had a clearance endcap, but they had no video cards on it. Really pisses me off, when the site says BOTH stores I visited have them in stock.

Next time, order the card online. Worst case is they cancel the order. Best case, they track them down and adjust the price which is what happened to me.

Does anybody know if this is still going on? I don't want to waste gas money...

I dunno but I got the 7850 and it has bad coil whine and crashes in-game for me! Back to the drawing board. Shame I got the 5x RZ points or whatever for it too but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and return rather than RMA.

Damn, if this was a 7870 deal I'd be crossfiring tomorrow lol.

I dunno but I got the 7850 and it has bad coil whine and crashes in-game for me! Back to the drawing board. Shame I got the 5x RZ points or whatever for it too but I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and return rather than RMA.

NO!
BEst buy covers all manufacturer warranties. Take it in, say you want it replaced, NOT returned. If they don't have the same card in stock they will give you a new card of something else. I turned in a GTX460 and got a 660ti last year doing this.
Just aim for someone who doesn't know wth a graphics card is.

That is not true. They do not cover all manufacturer warranties, only companies they have an agreement with. Frequently their POS system will tell them to have you contact the mfg for warranty. I am not saying you shouldn't try as I don't know about the defect returns on GPUs but I have had to tell people they are out of luck while working at bestbuy.

Fair enough, but XFX is one of them, from my experience. So don't go for the return on this one!

NO!
BEst buy covers all manufacturer warranties. Take it in, say you want it replaced, NOT returned. If they don't have the same card in stock they will give you a new card of something else. I turned in a GTX460 and got a 660ti last year doing this.
Just aim for someone who doesn't know wth a graphics card is.

I'm a little confused by what you are saying; what exactly should I be asking for if I go in? I figured if they can't replace it with the same item, which they can't because it is OOS all over town, then they have no option but to refund me.

Back