Battleship: The Movie

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
First a successful board game, then a video game and now coming out as a movie in May, Battleship has some impressive special effects which may be just enough to successfully carry the Hasbro board game into the movie theaters. To say the movie is loosely based on the board game is being kind. :D Checkout the latest film clip and trailer.

In this film, the blind firing is represented by a lack of ability to ‘see’ the alien ships on sonar or radar, and the limited engagement space is created by a force-field the aliens deploy.

lol yeah "loosely based" is being kind to the movie. Even with just the trailer, you can feel that the story's just being "forced" to conform with the general concept of the game.

What's next, a Scrabble movie where you have to make the words in time before the end of the world?

I'm curious what exactly about the movie has anything to do with the game such that they seem to have needed Hasbros OK for the use (which means someone cuts into their profits), sure not just the name.

So 'the aliens don't show up on our sensors' explains why the US side is 'blind firing'...

...uhh, in the 'board game', both sides are 'blind firing'. Why are the aliens doing it, then?

So 'the aliens don't show up on our sensors' explains why the US side is 'blind firing'...

...uhh, in the 'board game', both sides are 'blind firing'. Why are the aliens doing it, then?

Who is to say the Aliens aren't cheating by looking at the other players board but to make it look like they aren't cheating the purposely do blind fire every now and then...

Or it could be that our tech is so primitive compared to theirs they can see our ships.

Who is to say the Aliens aren't cheating by looking at the other players board but to make it look like they aren't cheating the purposely do blind fire every now and then...

Or it could be that our tech is so primitive compared to theirs they can see our ships.

or it could be that the premise of this movie is terrible.

I can't wait for a Connect Four version.

634px-Connect_Four.jpg

In a world where colored discs rule the planet and your life is determined by getting four of the same color vertically, horizontally, or diagonally....

Can you connect 4?!?

{Explosions} {Explosions}

If they didn't tie this movie with the game, I would give it a pass on the "meh" meter. But since its "based" on the game, it scores very low on the "meh" meter.

So many bad uninteresting movies coming out lately that I don't even bother pirating it. What does THAT tell you?

So, the aliens are part Decepticon? (those little ball projectiles looked very similar to Transformers movie CG)

Between Wrath of the Titans and now this I'm guessing Liam Neeson has completely sold out. He is getting to be worse than Samuel L. Jackson.

The film is literally Transformers without Autobots... if you're not looking for anything else, like acting, plot, or characters that aren't paper-thin... then this is the movie for you.

A good check for if you will enjoy this movie is: Did you like/love Ultraviolet? Yeah? Then you'll love this.

At the end, the scene pans out and some 5 year-old calls out "H-17" from his blue clamshell game board to which his father exclaims, "Oh no! You sunk my battleship!" Fade to black. "To Be Continued" appears. Cue hard-hitting military-eque music with a techno twist. Roll credits.

Mother fuckers are probably putting their battleship partially off the board too!

When the trailer first came out I thought it was a new Transformers movie. With the sound effects and all the naval ships being shown, I was expecting Decepticons to burst out of the water and start destroying things. And they pretty much did. At the end, when it said Battleship I was just confused...

I dont care that its based on battleship, the movie looks good.

Very Transformer-ish, which is a good thing.

Plus it has Rihanna in it :drool:

Movie looks good visually, but I bet it will be a terrible plot line not likely to exceed 60% on RT. I would like to be pleasantly surprised otherwise though.

Back