Battlefield V

You mean, you bought into Nvidia's marketing?

Lol...

Heck no. Never. I always wait for the guinea pigs to buy "the hot new item" first. Then make my decision. Besides that, I run a Freesync monitor, buying Nvidia wouldn't make any sense to me.

Heck no. Never. I always wait for the guinea pigs to buy "the hot new item" first. Then make my decision. Besides that, I run a Freesync monitor, buying Nvidia wouldn't make any sense to me.

Not if you want top-end performance, anyway ;)

Me either! I bought my 1080Ti after AMD released their 'we tried' Vega 64, and have been happily gaming away since :D

......You're fishin' with the wrong kind of bait. :p I wouldn't mind a Vega 64 if the prices were right on them.

ray tracing is cool, you can definitely see the future potential is there. the implementation in BFV has too little effect on the image quality for me to use it. it's not worth the performance trade-off. none of what i'm saying is profound, it's what has been speculated all along. interesting to note though that Low and Ultra settings look almost identical. if i planned to leave it on i would definitely choose Low since it allows me to run in the high 50's range for fps. for the time being i'm back to DX11 and ~90 fps.

Edit: also I might have to play with it more, because at first blush it looked like my card wasn’t throttle as much when using Ray tracing (or maybe it’s the change to DX12?). Would be interesting to investigate.

Last edited:
Yeah. A 7970 just isn't going to work. My 3770k and 980 runs it fine at 1080p though. The servers are currently running a mixed bag of modes and maps btw. Since it is early access of a sort. Yeah. No private servers be is a fucking bummer.

Oh it runs fine with my 7970 and 4770K and looks fine. Obviously it could look better, but the trial didn't make me think this was something I would get 100 hours out of to justify dropping 2k on a new gaming PC.

Plenty of shit has dropped since 2013 that justifies building a new PC, just say you're broke its easier and makes more sense... BF3 and a 7970 when they dropped weren't giving you steady 80+ frames on Ultra back then...

Play Devastation, you'll enjoy it, but yes, the menus and having to swap shit for 2 different factions is annoying.

Played a little on Devastation I believe, but just felt like more of the same. I think I just spent too many hours in the past on the old WW2 shooters that the maps just don't excite me.

Nothing I have cared about long term and money isn't the issue. Usually by the time a game drops to the price I am willing to pay I have forgotten about it. I just don't find games hold my interest much anymore so I would rather not pay full price on something I will play for a couple hours.

I never cared about ultra settings because I was never willing to pay for top end cards. The 7970 was the best bang for the buck when I bought it which is what I usually go buy. It also supported Strobelight and my BenQ XL2420TE monitor.

Oh it runs fine with my 7970 and 4770K and looks fine. Obviously it could look better, but the trial didn't make me think this was something I would get 100 hours out of to justify dropping 2k on a new gaming PC.

Played a little on Devastation I believe, but just felt like more of the same. I think I just spent too many hours in the past on the old WW2 shooters that the maps just don't excite me.

Nothing I have cared about long term and money isn't the issue. Usually by the time a game drops to the price I am willing to pay I have forgotten about it. I just don't find games hold my interest much anymore so I would rather not pay full price on something I will play for a couple hours.

I never cared about ultra settings because I was never willing to pay for top end cards. The 7970 was the best bang for the buck when I bought it which is what I usually go buy. It also supported Strobelight and my BenQ XL2420TE monitor.

Son, if money wasn't an issue you wouldn't be using a 6 year old GPU, but I get it, I force myself to game on PC at times, but I still have the hardware to drive current games.

So, I think something might be wrong in my setup.

I got the latest 1809 update (thanks Makaveli@BETA). DirectX 11 actually runs significantly worse for me than DirectX 12. Just running through a couple of missions, DX11 ranges from 70-90 fps, and DX12 is 100+ fps. In the beta, DX11 was much better, and always at 90+ fps.

So, I think something might be wrong in my setup.

I got the latest 1809 update (thanks Makaveli@BETA). DirectX 11 actually runs significantly worse for me than DirectX 12. Just running through a couple of missions, DX11 ranges from 70-90 fps, and DX12 is 100+ fps. In the beta, DX11 was much better, and always at 90+ fps.
Make sure the 1809 update didn't turn the Game Bar back on. Also, Disable fullscreen optimizations on the executable.

upload_2018-11-15_10-31-58.png

Son, if money wasn't an issue you wouldn't be using a 6 year old GPU, but I get it, I force myself to game on PC at times, but I still have the hardware to drive current games.

Or I don't game enough to spend money on a hobby I enjoy less than I used to. I don't even have Steam installed since I don't play anymore. I bought Dead Cells but 3 hours later I was bored.

Just a quick capture of one of the starting missions with RTX off and on.

Significantly better graphics. Hard to see in a short YouTube clip, but reflections look vastly better than they use too.
Longer loading. I use a Samsung 970 Pro, and loading goes from ~20 seconds to ~35 seconds for this mission.
Worse framerate. To be fair, I just quickly captured it. Scenes where it dropped into the mid 20s were in the mid 40s with Shadowplay turned off. I could capture it externally to avoid all that, but this was just a quick capture. Shadowplay kills the fps by more than 30%.
Because I'm not use to that framerate, aiming felt really sluggish.

This looks very promising for the future, or games where quick reaction times aren't needed. For the present though, it's not ready for primetime.

If you want tank splash damage vs infantry then the churchill mortar upgrade is what you want, pity the tank itself has the movement characteristics and acceleration of a dead beached whale.

If you want tank splash damage vs infantry then the churchill mortar upgrade is what you want, pity the tank itself has the movement characteristics and acceleration of a dead beached whale.

To be fair - I think the movement is still very generous in this game.

To be fair - I think the movement is still very generous in this game.

The churchill takes any kind of significant damage at all (say a blade of grass touching its tracks) and it's even more sloth like and a sitting duck for panzerfausts. It's probably the hardest tank to use due to this, even the Tiger gets up to speed and reverses quicker. The top mounted manned machine gun for the tanks might as well not be there either as people seems to last seconds in that role at best.

Is there REALLY a reason to have a jump and a vault button? Its the same damn thing. Totally pointless and annoying. Coming up to something and thinking you can jump over, only have to hit the vault button. Just really dumb to have both.

Is there REALLY a reason to have a jump and a vault button? Its the same damn thing. Totally pointless and annoying. Coming up to something and thinking you can jump over, only have to hit the vault button. Just really dumb to have both.

Should be a setting that applies both actions to one key. I have both mapped to spacebar, like you would expect.

well in pubg is was a must to have them seperate for example if you were on a building with a roof top, in order to see below you had to jump on to the ledge. if you used vault it would vault you over the ledge and onto the ground. I made my left control key vault/jump and spacebar jump only. in this game you could probably use jump only to get onto some window ledges and other things.

Damn. Yeah I guess having two separate buttons makes some sense then. Going to have to play around with it this weekend.

Had some pretty excellent games yesterday including a 1-0 win, 0-3 loss, and some absolutely fantastic squad play on Devastation which I still dislike greatly as a map. Btw, that M1A1 is nuts

Had some pretty excellent games yesterday including a 1-0 win, 0-3 loss, and some absolutely fantastic squad play on Devastation which I still dislike greatly as a map. Btw, that M1A1 is nuts
are squads using voip?

Lol.. All i read every where "StuPiD GaME TanKS AINT ReAl! So StOoPiD!"

Tanks have been all but useless since BF2 BC in this series. You need to damn near get a headshot to kill.. no splash dmg at all. Easier to hit the wall and have the building falling on the enemy kill instead. Taking one and parking on the pin is just an invitation to get killed fast. I've found the best use of tanks for the last 5 years or so is mobile arty... f*ck trying to take flags with them. I knew just how pussified tanks were when I saw people literally running at tanks with C4 in BF4... running AT tanks... lol.

Same issue with the mounted .50cal. A .338 sniper rifle is a one shot kill... but 2 hits from a mounted .50 cal and the target skips off? Should be laying on the ground cut in half... :p

Played a few rounds yesterday. Still need to get my keys mapped properly.. can't wait for Hardcore. Gameplay seems better on snow maps than the city maps for me.

Server browser still sucks mega green c*ck. Am I going full retard or is there no way to add a server to a favorite list?

I'm going to venture a guess and say an i5 3470 doesn't have the grunt to run this game, huh? I've got a 1060 6gb that is fine. CPU I doubt will like it though.

Tanks have been all but useless since BF2 BC in this series. You need to damn near get a headshot to kill.. no splash dmg at all. Easier to hit the wall and have the building falling on the enemy kill instead. Taking one and parking on the pin is just an invitation to get killed fast. I've found the best use of tanks for the last 5 years or so is mobile arty... f*ck trying to take flags with them. I knew just how pussified tanks were when I saw people literally running at tanks with C4 in BF4... running AT tanks... lol.

Same issue with the mounted .50cal. A .338 sniper rifle is a one shot kill... but 2 hits from a mounted .50 cal and the target skips off? Should be laying on the ground cut in half... :p

Played a few rounds yesterday. Still need to get my keys mapped properly.. can't wait for Hardcore. Gameplay seems better on snow maps than the city maps for me.

Server browser still sucks mega green c*ck. Am I going full retard or is there no way to add a server to a favorite list?

Yes, since tank rounds have no splash damage anymore, infantry can hide behind cover with impunity and shoot rockets, grenades, C4, lay mines at the tank. Tanks are crazy bad in BFV. If the infantry know what they are doing, it only takes 1-2 of them to kill a tank in five seconds. The only way it seems you can kill infantry shooting RPG's at you constantly from behind cover is to get constant head-shots on them with the crappy tank machine gun. It's pathetic.

Yes, since tank rounds have no splash damage anymore, infantry can hide behind cover with impunity and shoot rockets, grenades, C4, lay mines at the tank. Tanks are crazy bad in BFV. If the infantry know what they are doing, it only takes 1-2 of them to kill a tank in five seconds. The only way it seems you can kill infantry shooting RPG's at you constantly from behind cover is to get constant head-shots on them with the crappy tank machine gun. It's pathetic.
Is loading up a Jeep with C4 and just gonna send it still a thing? I did that one of the BF's and it was hilarious.

I'm going to venture a guess and say an i5 3470 doesn't have the grunt to run this game, huh? I've got a 1060 6gb that is fine. CPU I doubt will like it though.

This is entirely up to your definition of 'run'. I'd expect that you'd get along okay with buried settings, just to remove any possibility of additional CPU dependency, and then perhaps upping whatever graphics settings don't hit the CPU too much if you feel you have the headroom.

I knew just how pussified tanks were when I saw people literally running at tanks with C4 in BF4... running AT tanks... lol.

Literally been doing this since BF:BC2. Assume appropriate placement would still work in real life today too, also assuming that the tank is not top-of-the-line with 360° sight, which these WWII tanks do not have.

In all cases, tanks are meant to support infantry, and in turn, be supported by infantry. Without that support tanks don't live long.

All recent BF games let you set the refresh rate to 50hz. (way, way better than capping the fps at 50)

This is the solution I used for BF1 / Battlefront II and it all runs great at 50hz/Ultra.

are squads using voip?

No, none of us were but I also think I have it turned off. I think it was just an impressive display of experience and common sense. We very rarely spawned someplace other than our squad
45VNTqC.png

Rare to have any cohesion- I haven't put much time into it due to the lack of squad support. I mostly used VOIP to curse at my squadmates for essentially not playing the game.

Also still waiting for Hardcore... have they said that that's just not coming this time?

There are so many matches that are won simply because one team has like half the tards on it sniping and not taking cap points. It's pretty frustrating.

Lol. That's normal. Snipers lose the round for sure. Unless they are assault snipers like me. I ain't shy. Most of my rounds have been good and close but the ones that weren't had a plethora of longsticks.

Lol. That's normal. Snipers lose the round for sure. Unless they are assault snipers like me. I ain't shy. Most of my rounds have been good and close but the ones that weren't had a plethora of longsticks.

My current BF4 loadout- for the lolz- is an 870 with slugs and a 3.4x. Really only play hardcore conquest meatgrinders, and within that, only play support or recon; and only recon when someone has to maintain a forward spawnpoint.

I say that to illustrate one point, and that's that it is almost always preferable to have a primary weapon with a bit of reach. When I can get that on non-recon classes, I'll be there.

[on other maps, stuff like rush for example, I might well run a medic, and I rarely run a class that has rockets or other projectile explosives, but I also rarely play maps where vehicles run uninhibited]

Back