Battlefield V on PC to Include Profanity Filter

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In response to a Battlefield player requesting the ability to mute unruly individuals, producer Jaqub Ajmal revealed that DICE has gone above and beyond with a filter that will censor all profanity in the PC version of the game. While many say a global filter is excessive, Ajmal insists it is necessary: “Players are supposed to treat each other with respect in the chat.” Details on the open beta, available to the public on September 6, may be found at the official site.

Jaqub Ajmal, replying to a player over Twitter, said Thursday that a profanity filter was coming to PC; console users will still have to report abusive player behavior to PlayStation Network or Xbox Live. The player in the conversation had actually asked for the means of muting individual players instead of the entire chat; it’s not clear if that feature is being implemented, but some means of silencing beligerent players will be available on PC.

Dumbed down gun play and game mechanics, the evisceration of PC server control with the removal of Proconn, SJW political crap, and now profanity filters?! Yeah, the last REAL Battlefield installment was 4 and by the looks of things Battlefield 1 forward is where the franchise died. A damn shame too, Battlefield is (was) my favorite FPS franchise and I have 3000 hrs logged between 3 and 4. Skipped Battlefild 1 altogether and I wont be buying 5 either.

They already have hide chat. So yeah. I agree that some people need to be filtered though it is a small percentage.

What is this rated E for everyone ? I remember playing the campaign to Battlefield IV and hearing plenty of F bombs. They can curse but not real people ? Gotta protect the little snowflakes ears. Wasn't buying this anyway but one more reason not to now.

The profanity filter is a good thing imo. It always pisses me off when you get kids shouting abuse whether it's racist or otherwise. If you are the target of said abuse then it can be emotionally distressing.

The profanity filter is a good thing imo. It always pisses me off when you get kids shouting abuse whether it's racist or otherwise. If you are the target of said abuse then it can be emotionally distressing.

WTF? Some fucking little kid yells at you and you get distressed? This explains a lot of what's going on in the world now.

Dumbed down gun play and game mechanics, the evisceration of PC server control with the removal of Proconn, SJW political crap, and now profanity filters?! Yeah, the last REAL Battlefield installment was 4 and by the looks of things Battlefield 1 forward is where the franchise died. A damn shame too, Battlefield is (was) my favorite FPS franchise and I have 3000 hrs logged between 3 and 4. Skipped Battlefild 1 altogether and I wont be buying 5 either.

there were like 8 million servers in BF3 and 4 that would automatically warn or kick you for saying even the slightest bad word.

as my soldier literally screams out loud about how he's getting fucked in the ass over here

The cursing and swearing doesn't bother me. It is the racist comments "You're my n-word now!" and hearing "Gheeeeeey!" everytime a little shit gets killed in game that does bother me. File a report and move on.

Section 8 server still moderates chat. Love those guys. You can talk smack in friendly terms. As it should be. Sportsmanship. Their argument is yes the game swears but when you do it in chat, things tend to devolve into a toxic slag.

Last edited:
Yeah a filter is too weak, the racist bullshit in all games needs to get perma bans, but needs to be implemented on voice chat as well. EA and other game makers are not the government, the 1st amendment doesn't protect you from the private consequences of being an insufferable piece of shit. You have the right to say whatever the F you want, but you're not free from the private consequences of that.

Very very good. This is a much needed feature that finally is implemented.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire
And it didn't take long for me to change my mind since 2016. It wasn't hard at all.

Last edited:
"Players are supposed to treat each other with respect in chat..."

I think that's great, but you're going to need big changes to the whole culture before the idea of promoting respect will be effective. I don't mind profanity or profane humor as long as it is self-deprecating, but it's easy to cross the line, even among friends. In my WoW guild we were in a big boss fight and we had a female member (a really good tank) say, "Owe, owe, owe, owe, fuck me!" in chat, which was funny, but then all the derps started a weasel-pile of comments where they volunteered to come fuck her, and eventually it got so bad it ruined the night. And it didn't end after one night, once they knew she was uncomfortable it went on and on and on... Weeks later people were still harassing her about coming over to fuck her, and some people got a little bit personal about it, and eventually she left the guild.

P.S. I need to sell my latest great idea for a paywall item before this 'culture of respect' thing takes off. Imagine you just made a kill in PvP: For 10 seconds after the kill, you have the right to sprout a huge pair of testicles, which you can use to teabag and screenshot the player you just killed. Awesome, right?!! I call them 'Kill Nuts'. I'll make MILLIONS!

P.P.S. Respectful teabagging, though. You should say something like, "Thanks for the good game!" in a chat bubble before you screenshot your massive hairy balls squatting over someone's face.

P.P.P.S. Maybe your testicles would get bigger each time you kill the same player. That'd be good, too. Or, you might sell that as an upgrade to the original 'Kill Nuts'! AWESOME! I will have money flowing out my ass!

P.P.P.P.S. Ooooh, that would be the most awesome upgrade of all! If you owned the 'Kill Nuts' and the 'Kill Nuts XXL' upgrade, you could get the 'Colon Cash' upgrade, so that when you PK the person for 10th time, gold coins and dollar bills blow out your ass! AMAZING! I am a marketing GENIUS!

Last edited:
I hope you are just being sarcastic?

there were like 8 million servers in BF3 and 4 that would automatically warn or kick you for saying even the slightest bad word.

as my soldier literally screams out loud about how he's getting fucked in the ass over here

That was the brilliance of Battlefield 3 and 4. High skill gap combined with Proconn server management tools & plugins. These two reasons more than any others, are the reason Battlefield 4 five years after launch still has a strong player base. Proconn gave server owners the ability to truly customize the server to suit it's player base with vast options combined with community developed plugins for Proconn.

Battlefield 1 gets released and EA/Dice take away Proconn and put in it's place gutted server tools with drastically fewer options and no community developed plugins. This was a massive blow to PC players (particularly clans) who NEVER wanted or asked for this. Equally as bad, BF1 had a dramatically lower skill gap than BF3/BF4 and "dumbed down" gun play and game mechanics. Put another way, it's clear EA/Dice have retooled the Battlefield series to cater to console players and casual players. Most competitive / clan players in BF4 were disgusted with the changes and boycotted BF1. The minority of competitive / clan players who gave BF1 a shot, were back in BF4 or moved on to another FPS franchise in under six months.

As someone who has played Battlefield on PC since it's humble start, the design decisions EA/Dice made in BF1 and BF5 have retooled the Battlefield franchise into yet another casual low skill gap FPS franchise like COD. EA is where GREAT gaming studio's go to die. Dice maintained creative control under EA longer than most, but eventually EA corrupts every gaming studio it acquires.

Fine with me... tired of 10 year olds cussing like sailors constantly.... dumb ass little brats. It adds nothing to the game.

To paraphrase Zappa, what the heck about we the Sailors who find communication to be vastly enhanced by a constant stream of ball twisting profanity ?

Will see how Beta goes... Still waiting to see what the Battle Royale is like for the new COD.. I really don't want to keep playing WoW, ahem I mean Fortnite...

Battlefield died with 1942 when they removed community mods.

The franchise died after Bf2, sorry. That is when EA started full on pushing achievement and unlock nonsense over balanced gameplay and more specifically shit on the community of modders that are the only reason BF2 and beyond ever existed. Because without us, keeping Bf1942 alive for years through mods and proving there was a huge community demanding more battlefield, it was dead.

...It is literally a war game. You pretend you are a soldier and shoot at enemies.
Exactly as you said, it is a game.

If you still need convincing, do a search on disabled veterans.

Last edited:
The franchise died after Bf2, sorry. That is when EA started full on pushing achievement and unlock nonsense over balanced gameplay and more specifically shit on the community of modders that are the only reason BF2 and beyond ever existed. Because without us, keeping Bf1942 alive for years through mods and proving there was a huge community demanding more battlefield, it was dead.

Man, I miss those days. Modding made some games go from good to great! Desert Combat was so much fun!

As long as its a good one, then I don't really care. Lots of games have profanity filters that either can be turned on, or are on by default. I was banned on a BF4 server by a shitty custom admin bot. I said that "I was assassinated", and was instantly banned for breaking the rules twice (saying "ass" twice), which was annoying.

I like how people jump to the snow flake excuse for wanting to ban racist comments and threats of IRL assault.

I don't mind banter or swearing but certain people need to get kicked to learn there is a line and crossing it has consequences .

Its hard enough playing with headphones in the first place. Mute and chat ban. rachet the penalty up.
24 hrs, 48hrs, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 6 months then perma chat ban.

Indeed. BF3 upped the shooting skill and then BF4 upped it again. BF1 then went in the opposite direction. I suppose the precise shooting was lost on anyone using a gamepad.

Back