Battlefield V NVIDIA Ray Tracing: i9-9900K CPU Testing @ [H]

I was probably the first and it was more of an observation than criticism. I get much higher fps, ~75fps at 3440x1440 ultra/dxr low where Brent got 66 at 2560x1440p. The first observation was I have 8C/16T and he was at 4C/8T. Others mentioned similar.

I remembered DICE mentioning in an interview they were implementing ray tracing for 12 threads. It’s also on the suggested list. So I just noted that as a possible reason. I agreed with Kyle a high clocked 7700k was most likely fine if I had to guess.

I think the discrepancy probably comes from a combination of my card being clocked higher / hard modded and Brent finding intense areas to test RT.

Also my CPU usage appears higher in DX12 than DX11. We also didn’t know how RT presents the data. It could have been completely different than a typical game.

Anyways it’s great [H] did this testing since I couldn’t find any cpu comparisons for RT. Again, the main reason I give to Patreon is they dig into things like this.

I understand. But personally I wouldn't even think of looking for into CPU if there is a performance problem with Raytracing, considering it is a GPU driven feature. AFAIK at least.

Is there any reason why I get better FPS with DX12 than DX11 on my 2080 Ti in BF5? I run with DXR off

I went from a 4/8 intel cpu to 8/16 intel cpu and the difference in bf5 single player mode was not that much, but in multiplayer mode inside a full 64p server the difference was huge.

I personally think that single player mode benchmarks shouldn't be used to illustrate if your cpu is good enough, it should be used to benchmark gpu's only.

I went from a 4/8 intel cpu to 8/16 intel cpu and the difference in bf5 single player mode was not that much, but in multiplayer mode inside a full 64p server the difference was huge.

I personally think that single player mode benchmarks shouldn't be used to illustrate if your cpu is good enough, it should be used to benchmark gpu's only.
I would argue that it should not be used for either considering that the huge majority of people that will be playing this game will be playing multiplayer. :) And there are big differences in performance.

Back